There is something odd tho. 

Let's assume Ekimu and Makuta are in fact the sons of two villagers from the Earth and Ice tribes. Why are they the only ones? Are they even the only ones? What does a mixed-tribe Okotoan look like? Is their a law on Okoto banning inter-tribal families? We did see fire, water, and jungle villagers hanging out together in "The Legend" animation. I do not think we've ever seen a mixed family in one of the villages. What if a fire villager fell in love with an ice villager; could they survive in each other's biome? So many questions. 
If inter-tribal families are a thing
Then either:

a) the child can only carry the traits of one parent and would not look visibly mixed
b) we haven't seen a mixed villager because its not common
c) Ekimu and Makuta belong to the only inter-tribal family on Okoto

This of course is speculation from the very little information provided by the first few episodes of the animations.

Edit: If they bring back Takua, he should totally be a mixed water/fire villager. He wanders around the island cause he feels like he doesn't fit in anywhere.

Edited by YoYoSirRahka
  • Upvote 2

Your late night think train is going off the rails. :P

Seriously though, it would not surprise me if Ekimu is ice and Makuta is earth. As for the relation issue, the fact that they're gold, and why exclusive, the answers are in order:

Maybe brothers, if not, symbolic brothers.

Gold is simply the colour they chose to wear (cuz it's flashy). Ekimu's wore off over years of unconsciousness.

And YoYo, i have bloody proof Takua's coming back. But i'm not allowed to talk about it on BZPower. -Totally B6

Anyway, back to your irregularly scheduled lives.

• Upvote 1

Let's assume Ekimu and Makuta are in fact the sons of two villagers from the Earth and Ice tribes. Why are they the only ones? Are they even the only ones? What does a mixed-tribe Okotoan look like? Is their a law on Okoto banning inter-tribal families? We did see fire, water, and jungle villagers hanging out together in "The Legend" animation. I do not think we've ever seen a mixed family in one of the villages. What if a fire villager fell in love with an ice villager; could they survive in each other's biome? So many questions. 

Then either:

a) the child can only carry the traits of one parent and would not look visibly mixed

This of course is speculation from the very little information provided by the first few episodes of the animations.

Edit: If they bring back Takua, he should totally be a mixed water/fire villager. He wanders around the island cause he feels like he doesn't fit in anywhere.

Well, I never said they would have been the only ones. Since all the tribes once lived together in the Ancient City, we have to assume there was some mixing. That's practically a given.

A) I take it you're not familiar with how genetics work. I have a friend from high school who looks like a spitting image of his dad (tall, dark hair, brown eyes, broad figure). His brother and sister, on the other hand, take after their mom (shorter, light hair, blue eyes, thin). Offspring don't have to look like a perfect combination of the parent genes--sometimes, they take after one or the other. Who says the same doesn't apply here?

B) Possible, but considering that the tribes split up after Makuta's betrayal, and there have been multiple generations since then, any mixed-genes have likely been bred out most of the way by now, meaning they're not as common. Also, in the thousand years or so, the tribes likely adapted to better fit their chosen environments, meaning before, "tribe-traits" weren't as much of a thing as they are now.

C) See previous answers.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Then either:

Well, I never said they would have been the only ones. Since all the tribes once lived together in the Ancient City, we have to assume there was some mixing. That's practically a given.

A) I take it you're not familiar with how genetics work. I have a friend from high school who looks like a spitting image of his dad (tall, dark hair, brown eyes, broad figure). His brother and sister, on the other hand, take after their mom (shorter, light hair, blue eyes, thin). Offspring don't have to look like a perfect combination of the parent genes--sometimes, they take after one or the other. Who says the same doesn't apply here?

B) Possible, but considering that the tribes split up after Makuta's betrayal, and there have been multiple generations since then, any mixed-genes have likely been bred out most of the way by now, meaning they're not as common. Also, in the thousand years or so, the tribes likely adapted to better fit their chosen environments, meaning before, "tribe-traits" weren't as much of a thing as they are now.

Still, this gives me this cool story idea for a "mixed-tribe" guy who fits in somewhat in both of his tribes, but is still somewhat of an outcast in both. Think like Spock in Star Trek. 

Though that's not really a direction that Bionicle likes to take. I think they probably will just Agorify them and state that they are all the same under the different colored armor and the ladies take on the tribes of the guys when they get together - i.e, they swap tribes like we swap places we live and the shirts we wear. 

Probably even more likely is that they won't even focus on the Protectors at all and just hyperfocus on the Toa, even though their story would perhaps be interesting ground to cover too. 

• Upvote 1

Then either:

C) See previous answers.

a) That is exactly what I said. The child villager would have to take after ONLY ONE of the parents. There has been zero evidence for villagers with mixed color schemes, features, etc. 

b) That is a very smart take. I was starting to think inter-tribe marriages were just taboo on Okoto. I like your idea that they were once common, but because the tribes were separated they each evolved with unique genotypes and phenotypes to suit their biome; This makes a lot of sense, especially since the villages are so far away and isolated from each other. Little to no mixing would be present because of the vast distances and uneasy travel methods.

c) It is still possible that Ekimu and Makuta are the only mixed ones. Much like that mask maker law of keeping masks mono-elemental, there could have been a law saying that the villagers from different tribes could not mate.

Edited by YoYoSirRahka

a) That is exactly what I said.

*Checks*

Ah, so it is. I misread that bit. Sorry for that. :P

On your response to C), that is also an interesting take. I hadn't thought of that, though it was partly because the villagers themselves seem to have no powers of their own, and so the "too powerful" thing wouldn't come into play. But that may be a cultural thing for them, which might be interesting.

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

On the contrary, those questions are still on the table - along with your new question: Does Okoto have life support technology? They are either immortal or they had some exterior force keeping them alive.

And, if you'll look at the next response:

There didn't seem to be a whole bunch of life-support systems connected to Ekimu's body when he was in that coffin. I think it would have to be some force, or maybe just standard Bionicle stasis. Like in the G1 archives.

That's exactly what I meant.

Never said what form the tech could have taken. "Life-support" takes many forms: Darth Vader's suit, which is fully technical and is fixed to his body; stasis fields in BIONICLE G1, which take on a mostly energy-based form; and a variety of other life-support systems from dozens of sci-fi shows and movies.

Seeing how the tone of G2 been all mystical and whatnot, I'd lean against the argument for advanced tech life support - or even weird energy life support. Given how Ekimu can talk to the Toa through their masks in an almost mystical fashion, I kind of got the vibe that he's at least a little supernatural - more divine than anything else.

... But then again, G1's Mata Nui was more or less depicted as a mystical, non-scifi God, and look what he turned out to be.

Edited by The Editor
  • Upvote 2

wake_up_sheeple.png

Seeing how the tone of G2 been all mystical and whatnot, I'd lean against the argument for advanced tech life support - or even weird energy life support. Given how Ekimu can talk to the Toa through their masks in an almost mystical fashion, I kind of got the vibe that he's at least a little supernatural - more divine than anything else.

... But then again, G1's Mata Nui was more or less depicted as a mystical, non-scifi God, and look what he turned out to be.

They clearly have some kind of tech--six-shot revolvers, armor with pistons, etc. 

Actually, I've seen that sort of thing used before in other storylines. Powerful beings whose bodies were put to sleep or in stasis or something, and they were able to release their spirit or mind to communicate with beings outside. It's used in anything from fantasy to sci-fi. I can't think of a specific example right now, but I know I've read at least one such story. I'm tempted to say it was one of the Shannara books.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Maybe that Ekimu Protector mask has the powers of an Iden?

But then again, the Ekimu communication sequence seemed more like telepathy. Or maybe it's just a link between the mask and the person that made it - some sort of energy links them together. :shrugs:

I figured it stems from the idea that the MoC has magic associated with it. Obviously, Ekimu and Makuta needed to know some degree of magic in order to take the elements of the island and fuse it with the metal they worked with. My guess is whatever magic those two learned did tie them to their creations in a way. Or, perhaps there was a sort of pre-recorded message implanted in the masks that was activated at a certain point. Tahu only heard it once he'd put his on and used its power--maybe that triggered the message?

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I've always considered the thought that at one point they were normal villagers. But in the beginning of Okoto's history, the Great Beings elevated the two brothers, Ekimu and Makuta, to a more special status, gave them the masks of Creation and Control, and all-around gave them authority to run the island. So they could be from the same element, just more special in a way (because I don't see any other Protectors communicating via telepathy with the Toa).

-O Knavery

Most vile, O trick of the Empire's basest wit.

A snare, a ruse, a ploy: and we the fools.

What great deception hath been plied today--

O rebels, do you hear? Fie, 'tis a trap! -Admiral Ackbar

Ekimu has "elemental power" but it's not ice. He just doesn't have a set element.

Or...Ekimu is a higher leveled being than the tribes? Why do you have to ruin the story with these theories?

Well . . . I wouldn't go so far as to say it RUINS the story. It's just fun to speculate and theorize, and sometimes those speculations turn out to be right.  :) 

Maybe Ekimu does have a set element, or maybe doesn't. Who knows. 

Ekimu has "elemental power" but it's not ice. He just doesn't have a set element.

Or...Ekimu is a higher leveled being than the tribes? Why do you have to ruin the story with these theories?

How does it ruin the story?  :???:  I'm not saying he only interacts with the Ice Tribe, but that he was born into the Ice tribe, and thus bears the physical traits of their kind. Have you read any of this topic?

What if Ekimu and Makuta are both Ce villagers (or Ce and Ba respectively)? Might explain why Ekimu was able to contact the Toa without any apparent tech. :v

How would that work when there's only six elemental tribes? We don't have those elements in G2, far as anyone can tell.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

And then there's the whole saw blade shield thing for both Ekimu and Izotor. A symbol of the tribe, perhaps?

That could be. I was thinking it was another one of his mask making tools. Since he is basically a metal smith, he might use the buzz saw to cut out sheets of metal into shapes which he would "fold" into masks by using his HAMMAH UV POWAH. :P

Idk why you would stick a rotary canon on something you use to smash metal with tho, it doesn't seem like the safest thing to do. 

Makuta probably realized Okoto was in the hands of a lunatic who ruled with a minigun on a stick. His one man revolution was completely called for. 

Anyway, if the buzz saw was a symbol of the ice tribe, and if Ekimu was showing his icy heritage/culture with the saw, wouldn't Ekimu's saw also be trans-blue? Trans blue saws are most likely unique to the Ice clan on Okoto, while silver buzz saws are common to everyone else. It's likely at least some of the other tribes have saws, especially the jungle tribe for all the thick foliage they have to cut thru. To distinguish itself as a symbol of the ice-tribe, their buzz saws would have to be trans-blue.

• Upvote 1

Anyway, if the buzz saw was a symbol of the ice tribe, and if Ekimu was showing his icy heritage/culture with the saw, wouldn't Ekimu's saw also be trans-blue? Trans blue saws are most likely unique to the Ice clan on Okoto, while silver buzz saws are common to everyone else. It's likely at least some of the other tribes have saws, especially the jungle tribe for all the thick foliage they have to cut thru. To distinguish itself as a symbol of the ice-tribe, their buzz saws would have to be trans-blue.

My thinking was that was more the shape/function of the shield that was symbolic of the tribe, rather than just the color.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Idk man. I feel like buzz saws would still be common to some of the other tribes. 

Maybe. Earth would obviously have drills of some sort. Stone is out in a desert, so probably not so useful there. Water and Fire are also iffy. Only one that might use them is Jungle, you know, for cutting clear paths. But from what we see of them, they're pretty agile and seem to manage in the trees as well as the ground. So, I'm not sure.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

What if Ekimu and Makuta are both Ce villagers (or Ce and Ba respectively)? Might explain why Ekimu was able to contact the Toa without any apparent tech. :v

How would that work when there's only six elemental tribes? We don't have those elements in G2, far as anyone can tell.

How do we know they don't exist? :P

I donno, man, I'm just tossing out ideas like everyone else. Unless the story team says otherwise, I'm still inclined to believe that the bros have no Elemental affiliation.  :shrugs: 

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Because the entire story up to this point has said otherwise, unless there's another island somewhere with different elements. 

In the description of Ekimu and Makuta, we're told that they took from the island's SIX elemental forces.

The Prophecy of Heores: "the Protectors must unite, one from EACH tribe..." Since only SIX Protectors showed up for that, we have to assume that means there are no other elemental tribes.

If there were other villages to save from the skull spiders, why did only SIX Toa arrive on the island, one for each village? 

We know they don't exist because we know the story.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Because the entire story up to this point has said otherwise, unless there's another island somewhere with different elements. 

In the description of Ekimu and Makuta, we're told that they took from the island's SIX elemental forces.

The Prophecy of Heores: "the Protectors must unite, one from EACH tribe..." Since only SIX Protectors showed up for that, we have to assume that means there are no other elemental tribes.

If there were other villages to save from the skull spiders, why did only SIX Toa arrive on the island, one for each village? 

And we thought the same thing throughout the first couple years of G1. :T

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

There were Ce-Matoran and Ba-Matoran on Mata Nui? Or were they somewhere else entirely?

My point is, the story back then left that sort of option open, as was planned from the beginning. This time around, things seem to be more closed and specific.

Edited by T1Shadow: The Artisan

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

There were Ce-Matoran and Ba-Matoran on Mata Nui? Or were they somewhere else entirely?

My point is, the story back then left that sort of option open, as was planned from the beginning. This time around, things seem to be more closed and specific.

For the record, I had only the comics to go by until Bionicle ended, so I had no idea that the story team initially had all ten years planned out in advance -- that it wasn't as "closed and specific" or make-it-up-as-you-go-along as I originally thought. And I'm positive I'm not the only one. :P

I'm not saying that Ce (or Ba) exist on Okoto now. Maybe Ekimu and Makuta are just foreigners who were revered as god-like beings by the six Okoto tribes, regardless of the two's Elemental affiliation or lack thereof. Maybe their own tribe(s) once lived alongside the others before dying out, leaving the bros the last two in existence. Maybe we will find out that other Elements exist in some secret location on Okoto, Mask-Maker connection or not. Or maybe the new story team has no intention of doing any of the above in order to keep the story simple (and I wouldn't blame them).

Again, I still believe that the bros have no Element. Just tryin' to stay open-minded and share silly ideas. :)

• Upvote 2

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

One for each element. Somebody said somewhere there were more villages scattered throughout the Regions. Smaller and of the same elements, but more villages.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

One for each element. Somebody said somewhere there were more villages scattered throughout the Regions. Smaller and of the same elements, but more villages.

I meant tribe. :P It was late when I wrote that.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~