Official BS01/HS01 Wiki Topic

Swert

I really wish there was some official name we could call these things. But that's not very likely, considering that LEGO seems to be avoiding complicated names.

Generation X seems awfully generic, and suppose a newbie doesn't even realize that there ever was a previous generation? I know that might not cause too much confusion anyway, but it feels as if there could be some more specific way to distinguish them.

This argument does not make sense at all to me.

As an example, consider a Transformers wiki. Should they delete everything every other year when a new cartoon comes out to cater to the new audience only? Absolutely not. A wiki is an encyclopedia. It is meant to document everything. So what if somebody whose first cartoon is the upcoming Robots in Disguise show doesn't know there was a cartoon back in 1984. Now they can find that out and learn more about it, should the choose. (As an aside, Generation 1 was a fan term to refer to said '84 show -- and was eventually adopted by Hasbro as an official designation! Because there was none to go by and it worked just fine. Of course, everything since then does have a subtitle and I sure wish that had been done with BIONICLE's resurrection, but alas LEGO opted not to.)

Or My Little Pony with its four generations. Young fans may not know that Friendship is Magic wasn't the first MLP. But they can find out more about the old ones if they want.

Generation 1 and Generation 2 seem perfectly descriptive to me. They are not too specific, but do at the same time clearly convey that there's more than one continuity.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 2

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I was literally using X as a variable. It's currently separated by Generation 1 and Generation 2 (which I want to switch to Roman numerals, but people apparently disagree =P)

Yeah, I understood what you meant by X. I just feel as if there's some better way of doing it that I can't seem to think of.

If you're going with that, though, I like the idea of Roman numerals.

I really wish there was some official name we could call these things. But that's not very likely, considering that LEGO seems to be avoiding complicated names.

Generation X seems awfully generic, and suppose a newbie doesn't even realize that there ever was a previous generation? I know that might not cause too much confusion anyway, but it feels as if there could be some more specific way to distinguish them.

This argument does not make sense at all to me.

As an example, consider a Transformers wiki. Should they delete everything every other year when a new cartoon comes out to cater to the new audience only? Absolutely not. A wiki is an encyclopedia. It is meant to document everything. So what if somebody whose first cartoon is the upcoming Robots in Disguise show doesn't know there was a cartoon back in 1984. Now they can find that out and learn more about it, should the choose. (As an aside, Generation 1 was a fan term to refer to said '84 show -- and was eventually adopted by Hasbro as an official designation! Because there was none to go by and it worked just fine. Of course, everything since then does have a subtitle and I sure wish that had been done with BIONICLE's resurrection, but alas LEGO opted not to.)

Or My Little Pony with its four generations. Young fans may not know that Friendship is Magic wasn't the first MLP. But they can find out more about the old ones if they want.

Generation 1 and Generation 2 seem perfectly descriptive to me. They are not too specific, but do at the same time clearly convey that there's more than one continuity.

~|ET|~

I was in no way arguing that you delete all of the old info--that's ridiculous. I'm just talking about the naming methods.

How well will you die?

Why can't you use Tahu(2001-2010) and Tahu (2015-Present)?

Then if we reboot again, Tahu (2015 - 2025) and Tahu (2025 - Present)? :P

Because that gets confusing to read and keep track of, especially like you noted if there's a reboot again.

Here's to hoping LEGO doesn't do something ridiculous for "Generation 3" by making it a continuation of Generation 1 or something.

• Upvote 2

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Because that gets confusing to read and keep track of, especially like you noted if there's a reboot again.

Here's to hoping LEGO doesn't do something ridiculous for "Generation 3" by making it a continuation of Generation 1 or something.

I actually think that's less confusing than "Gen X", but to each their own.

• 3 weeks later...

Because we like to try and keep the page titles as simple as possible. Plus, the current way we're doing the pages requires the word "generation" so that the coding can shorten things down to just "Tahu." Also, while the year system may be more defining, it is inconsistent across pages. Dume was not around, story wise, in 2001, nor was Artakha, or the Glatorian. If, somehow, we had a 2015 Ackar, the old Ackar page would be, what? Ackar (2010)? That's not consistent with Tahu (2001-2010). That's a bunch of different year markers that could be seen to represent multiple stories instead of the single, Gen 1 story. I don't like Gen 1 much either, but it is currently the least of all evils. Some more ideas may be coming out about reorganizing, based on what Swert and I have been talking about (read: the thoughts Swert has been bouncing off me), so maybe Gen 1 won't have to stay around, but it is what is working in the simplest way thus far.

As to getting the new generation to the information it wants to see instead of the old stuff: all we have to do is default a search for "Tahu" or "Gali" or "Makuta" (that last one is more complicated) to the new generation pages. We old folks will need to take an extra step to view the old stuff, but that's okay with me, personally. Not that hard to click a button.

Edited by Zox Tomana
  • Upvote 4

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question (didn't check if it was asked somewhere already) but are you planning on doing anything like a set database? The set information part of the wiki seems rather lacking IMO, and seeing as Bionicle is a toy first with a story complimenting it, I would think a section dedicated to sets would be useful.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Just a quick question (didn't check if it was asked somewhere already) but are you planning on doing anything like a set database? The set information part of the wiki seems rather lacking IMO, and seeing as Bionicle is a toy first with a story complimenting it, I would think a section dedicated to sets would be useful.

-NotS

It's been discussed a great deal. I don't think any of the staff are entirely opposed to doing it, and I know set inventories are in the works for BS01. I think what we're waiting on is deciding on whether to use Brickipedia (http://en.brickimedia.org) as an external source for detailed set information (as Brickipedia already uses BS01 as an external source for a large quantity of story information) or to develop some new organization for set information on BS01 independently (or a combination of both options).

• Upvote 1

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I'd love a set database, and we've done certain things to develop it. Some of it has to do with the server issues, and how we're going forward with the Gen II divisions. And a lot of it just has to do with implementation.

My ultimate plan is a page for anything that has a set number, as well as combiners, so we can cover some non-canon stuff too. How to handle things like alternate models and collectibles gets trickier, for instance.

It's on the list of things to do, but we've just been busy with other things, like getting the social networking sites up =P.

• Upvote 1

It's been discussed a great deal. I don't think any of the staff are entirely opposed to doing it, and I know set inventories are in the works for BS01. I think what we're waiting on is deciding on whether to use Brickipedia (http://en.brickimedia.org) as an external source for detailed set information (as Brickipedia already uses BS01 as an external source for a large quantity of story information) or to develop some new organization for set information on BS01 independently (or a combination of both options).

Awesome. :) Thanks for the answer. I think using Brickipedia could have its benefits for sure. 

I'd love a set database, and we've done certain things to develop it. Some of it has to do with the server issues, and how we're going forward with the Gen II divisions. And a lot of it just has to do with implementation.

My ultimate plan is a page for anything that has a set number, as well as combiners, so we can cover some non-canon stuff too. How to handle things like alternate models and collectibles gets trickier, for instance.

It's on the list of things to do, but we've just been busy with other things, like getting the social networking sites up =P.

That'd be great! Covering non-canon stuff would be nice, as people will be able to view sets like Visorak's Gate or Race for the Mask of Life to see what they were all about. (instead of having a non-clickable link for them) 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of sets, I've noticed on a few pages, such as the page for Kinloka, an error occurs when clicking on the instructions link.  A Keep & Share message pops up, saying that the information is not available.  Does anyone know why that is?

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Speaking of sets, I've noticed on a few pages, such as the page for Kinloka, an error occurs when clicking on the instructions link.  A Keep & Share message pops up, saying that the information is not available.  Does anyone know why that is?

Probably the person's account who hosted the files expired, so the instructions aren't available anymore.
  • Upvote 1

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

• 3 months later...

Is this topic still active and postable? Just thought I'd like to mention that the Reference links for gen2 Onua are not his but Tahu's. I'd edit it myself but even as a wiki it must be on a different server or something as I don't have an account or permission to do it. Just thought I'd let the BS01 team know about this error. :D

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I'd edit it myself but even as a wiki it must be on a different server or something as I don't have an account or permission to do it.

You should be able to create an account through this link.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

• 1 month later...

I hope this is okay to ask, but does anybody know if HS01 is going to come back online? I know it was taken down because of issues with the server hosting BS01 and HS01, but that happened about 7 months ago and it's still not back up, though I read that it was hoped to be back online at the end of last year. Is the solution still in development? Any updates on how it's doing?

I thought I'd ask since I wanted to do some reading up on Hero Factory and it's characters.

My Flickr - My Brickshelf - My DeviantART

Latest MOC: Draphim the Dragonborn - Latest artwork: Mazzie Rati

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!

I hope this is okay to ask, but does anybody know if HS01 is going to come back online? I know it was taken down because of issues with the server hosting BS01 and HS01, but that happened about 7 months ago and it's still not back up, though I read that it was hoped to be back online at the end of last year. Is the solution still in development? Any updates on how it's doing?

I thought I'd ask since I wanted to do some reading up on Hero Factory and it's characters.

At this point, we can't run it on the same server without adversely impacting the performance of either. It sucks and we need a better server obviously, but that's unfortunately the one domain I have very little control over.

I really really want it back too; there wasn't enough time to finalize a lot of the stuff I was working on, and plenty of images that are just languishing.

The ultimate answer is to bug Swert; updating the server or switching or whatever is a decision that'll be made by him.

At this point, we can't run it on the same server without adversely impacting the performance of either. It sucks and we need a better server obviously, but that's unfortunately the one domain I have very little control over.

I really really want it back too; there wasn't enough time to finalize a lot of the stuff I was working on, and plenty of images that are just languishing.

The ultimate answer is to bug Swert; updating the server or switching or whatever is a decision that'll be made by him.

Thanks for the reply. I know they couldn't both run on the current server, it was more a question of whether any progress was being made with regards to changing servers, as it was mentioned and then it's just been quiet since November last year. Guess it's just "wait and see".

In the meantime, I might just have to look to my good old friend the search engine instead, to see if I can find what I'm looking for elsewhere. I was hoping to find some good quality video stills from HF videos  :)

My Flickr - My Brickshelf - My DeviantART

Latest MOC: Draphim the Dragonborn - Latest artwork: Mazzie Rati

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!

Thanks for the reply. I know they couldn't both run on the current server, it was more a question of whether any progress was being made with regards to changing servers, as it was mentioned and then it's just been quiet since November last year. Guess it's just "wait and see".

In the meantime, I might just have to look to my good old friend the search engine instead, to see if I can find what I'm looking for elsewhere. I was hoping to find some good quality video stills from HF videos  :)

I've given all the information I can and found options for other server hosts. At this point it's just a matter of Swert actually doing it, which unfortunately I have been trying to get him to do since before HS01 was taken offline. It would be perfectly easy to cut resource usage by BS01 and HS01 in half and to increase server performance and possibly reduce financial expenses as well. All it requires is for Swert to abandon the host he has yet to abandon and to choose a more capable and more current-day server option. Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

• 5 months later...

Wow, the wiki has glitched out. I can see warnings about old copies of the skins needing to be removed.

We're well-aware of the issue, I'll be working on it when I get some free time.

• Upvote 1

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Fixed all the error messages that were being thrown on the front-end. Some things here and there may not be correct as far as wiki skins go, but I'm leaving that to Swert to fix. The skin is functional and there are no more fatal errors being thrown.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

• 5 weeks later...

So, just a quick question that's probably been answered elsewhere. I noticed on the set database that you're compiling on BS01 that the 2006-2008 Good/Bad Guy sets have been excluded, and I was just curious as to why that is. I mean, as far as I'm aware, they're official sets (if slightly lackluster/gimmicky/only promos), so why aren't they there?

Edited by unknown456

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

So, just a quick question that's probably been answered elsewhere. I noticed on the set database that you're compiling on BS01 that the 2006-2008 Good/Bad Guy sets have been excluded, and I was just curious as to why that is. I mean, as far as I'm aware, they're official sets (if slightly lackluster/gimmicky/only promos), so why aren't they there?

Mostly because I haven't gotten around to it! There's a lot of promos and stuff that I'll include, I'm just thinking about how best to incorporate them. For the sets page, I wanted to start with the "main" sets, i.e. those available by standard retailers/LEGO.

My overarching plan is anything with a set number gets included, but this will probably require either subpages or a big division in the way the page is set up (on page tabs, maybe?). But they're all definitely in the cards, and if you look at KZN02's Sandbox, you'll see a master list of everything that will eventually be utilized.

Of course, if someone made the set page itself for those things, I might be inclined to hurry up and actually get those modifications done =P.