• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Official BS01/HS01 Wiki Topic

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Ektris

Ektris
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • The Tracer

• 22-July 03
  • 13,299 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Oct 12 2014 - 05:06 PM

I really wish there was some official name we could call these things. But that's not very likely, considering that LEGO seems to be avoiding complicated names.

Generation X seems awfully generic, and suppose a newbie doesn't even realize that there ever was a previous generation? I know that might not cause too much confusion anyway, but it feels as if there could be some more specific way to distinguish them.

This argument does not make sense at all to me.

As an example, consider a Transformers wiki. Should they delete everything every other year when a new cartoon comes out to cater to the new audience only? Absolutely not. A wiki is an encyclopedia. It is meant to document everything. So what if somebody whose first cartoon is the upcoming Robots in Disguise show doesn't know there was a cartoon back in 1984. Now they can find that out and learn more about it, should the choose. (As an aside, Generation 1 was a fan term to refer to said '84 show -- and was eventually adopted by Hasbro as an official designation! Because there was none to go by and it worked just fine. Of course, everything since then does have a subtitle and I sure wish that had been done with BIONICLE's resurrection, but alas LEGO opted not to.)

Or My Little Pony with its four generations. Young fans may not know that Friendship is Magic wasn't the first MLP. But they can find out more about the old ones if they want.

Generation 1 and Generation 2 seem perfectly descriptive to me. They are not too specific, but do at the same time clearly convey that there's more than one continuity.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

#82 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Rahkshi Unleashed

• 05-July 10
  • 5,945 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 12 2014 - 06:21 PM

Why can't you use Tahu(2001-2010) and Tahu (2015-Present)?

Then if we reboot again, Tahu (2015 - 2025) and Tahu (2025 - Present)? :P

16028406952_a8c31f0bfe.jpg15838451978_fa70afcd66_m.jpg

#83 Offline Lewigi

Lewigi
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Senior Staff

• 25-March 06
  • 3,432 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Oct 12 2014 - 08:43 PM

I was literally using X as a variable. It's currently separated by Generation 1 and Generation 2 (which I want to switch to Roman numerals, but people apparently disagree =P)

Yeah, I understood what you meant by X. I just feel as if there's some better way of doing it that I can't seem to think of.

If you're going with that, though, I like the idea of Roman numerals.

I really wish there was some official name we could call these things. But that's not very likely, considering that LEGO seems to be avoiding complicated names.

Generation X seems awfully generic, and suppose a newbie doesn't even realize that there ever was a previous generation? I know that might not cause too much confusion anyway, but it feels as if there could be some more specific way to distinguish them.

This argument does not make sense at all to me.

As an example, consider a Transformers wiki. Should they delete everything every other year when a new cartoon comes out to cater to the new audience only? Absolutely not. A wiki is an encyclopedia. It is meant to document everything. So what if somebody whose first cartoon is the upcoming Robots in Disguise show doesn't know there was a cartoon back in 1984. Now they can find that out and learn more about it, should the choose. (As an aside, Generation 1 was a fan term to refer to said '84 show -- and was eventually adopted by Hasbro as an official designation! Because there was none to go by and it worked just fine. Of course, everything since then does have a subtitle and I sure wish that had been done with BIONICLE's resurrection, but alas LEGO opted not to.)

Or My Little Pony with its four generations. Young fans may not know that Friendship is Magic wasn't the first MLP. But they can find out more about the old ones if they want.

Generation 1 and Generation 2 seem perfectly descriptive to me. They are not too specific, but do at the same time clearly convey that there's more than one continuity.

~|ET|~

I was in no way arguing that you delete all of the old info--that's ridiculous. I'm just talking about the naming methods.

#84 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-April 07
  • 3,088 posts

Posted Oct 13 2014 - 12:18 AM

Because that gets confusing to read and keep track of, especially like you noted if there's a reboot again.

Here's to hoping LEGO doesn't do something ridiculous for "Generation 3" by making it a continuation of Generation 1 or something.

--
Meiko - @georgebarnick
LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset
Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#85 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Rahkshi Unleashed

• 05-July 10
  • 5,945 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 13 2014 - 12:20 AM

Because that gets confusing to read and keep track of, especially like you noted if there's a reboot again.

Here's to hoping LEGO doesn't do something ridiculous for "Generation 3" by making it a continuation of Generation 1 or something.

I actually think that's less confusing than "Gen X", but to each their own.

16028406952_a8c31f0bfe.jpg15838451978_fa70afcd66_m.jpg

#86 Offline Zox Tomana

Zox Tomana
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Armored Protector

• 04-June 09
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 29 2014 - 04:24 AM

Because we like to try and keep the page titles as simple as possible. Plus, the current way we're doing the pages requires the word "generation" so that the coding can shorten things down to just "Tahu." Also, while the year system may be more defining, it is inconsistent across pages. Dume was not around, story wise, in 2001, nor was Artakha, or the Glatorian. If, somehow, we had a 2015 Ackar, the old Ackar page would be, what? Ackar (2010)? That's not consistent with Tahu (2001-2010). That's a bunch of different year markers that could be seen to represent multiple stories instead of the single, Gen 1 story. I don't like Gen 1 much either, but it is currently the least of all evils. Some more ideas may be coming out about reorganizing, based on what Swert and I have been talking about (read: the thoughts Swert has been bouncing off me), so maybe Gen 1 won't have to stay around, but it is what is working in the simplest way thus far.

As to getting the new generation to the information it wants to see instead of the old stuff: all we have to do is default a search for "Tahu" or "Gali" or "Makuta" (that last one is more complicated) to the new generation pages. We old folks will need to take an extra step to view the old stuff, but that's okay with me, personally. Not that hard to click a button.

Edited by Zox Tomana, Oct 29 2014 - 04:26 AM.

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana

#87 Online Nidhiki of the Shadows

Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Lord of Corruption

• 04-June 04
  • 18,372 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2014 - 11:25 PM

Just a quick question (didn't check if it was asked somewhere already) but are you planning on doing anything like a set database? The set information part of the wiki seems rather lacking IMO, and seeing as Bionicle is a toy first with a story complimenting it, I would think a section dedicated to sets would be useful.

-NotS

tahu.jpg

Story Retread Progress:

:infected: Chronicles/Mata Nui (01-03) •  :vahi: Adventures/Metru Nui (04-05) •  :voyanui: Legends/Ignition (06-08) •  :hau: Bara Magna/Glatorian (09-10-11)

Current Year: Summer 2009 • Current Arc: Raid on Vulcanus • Serial: Empire of the Skrall/Riddle of the Great Beings

#88 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-April 07
  • 3,088 posts

Posted Nov 06 2014 - 11:32 PM

Just a quick question (didn't check if it was asked somewhere already) but are you planning on doing anything like a set database? The set information part of the wiki seems rather lacking IMO, and seeing as Bionicle is a toy first with a story complimenting it, I would think a section dedicated to sets would be useful.

-NotS

It's been discussed a great deal. I don't think any of the staff are entirely opposed to doing it, and I know set inventories are in the works for BS01. I think what we're waiting on is deciding on whether to use Brickipedia (http://en.brickimedia.org) as an external source for detailed set information (as Brickipedia already uses BS01 as an external source for a large quantity of story information) or to develop some new organization for set information on BS01 independently (or a combination of both options).

--
Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#89 Offline Dorek

Dorek
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Rahkshi Unleashed

• 30-January 06
  • 5,986 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 07 2014 - 02:23 AM

I'd love a set database, and we've done certain things to develop it. Some of it has to do with the server issues, and how we're going forward with the Gen II divisions. And a lot of it just has to do with implementation.

My ultimate plan is a page for anything that has a set number, as well as combiners, so we can cover some non-canon stuff too. How to handle things like alternate models and collectibles gets trickier, for instance.

It's on the list of things to do, but we've just been busy with other things, like getting the social networking sites up =P.

Posted Image

#90 Online Nidhiki of the Shadows

Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Lord of Corruption

• 04-June 04
  • 18,372 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 07 2014 - 01:05 PM

It's been discussed a great deal. I don't think any of the staff are entirely opposed to doing it, and I know set inventories are in the works for BS01. I think what we're waiting on is deciding on whether to use Brickipedia (http://en.brickimedia.org) as an external source for detailed set information (as Brickipedia already uses BS01 as an external source for a large quantity of story information) or to develop some new organization for set information on BS01 independently (or a combination of both options).

Awesome. :) Thanks for the answer. I think using Brickipedia could have its benefits for sure. 

I'd love a set database, and we've done certain things to develop it. Some of it has to do with the server issues, and how we're going forward with the Gen II divisions. And a lot of it just has to do with implementation.

My ultimate plan is a page for anything that has a set number, as well as combiners, so we can cover some non-canon stuff too. How to handle things like alternate models and collectibles gets trickier, for instance.

It's on the list of things to do, but we've just been busy with other things, like getting the social networking sites up =P.

That'd be great! Covering non-canon stuff would be nice, as people will be able to view sets like Visorak's Gate or Race for the Mask of Life to see what they were all about. (instead of having a non-clickable link for them) 

-NotS

tahu.jpg

Story Retread Progress:

:infected: Chronicles/Mata Nui (01-03) •  :vahi: Adventures/Metru Nui (04-05) •  :voyanui: Legends/Ignition (06-08) •  :hau: Bara Magna/Glatorian (09-10-11)

Current Year: Summer 2009 • Current Arc: Raid on Vulcanus • Serial: Empire of the Skrall/Riddle of the Great Beings

#91 Offline Volitak_Boxor

Volitak_Boxor
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 19-September 14
  • 30 posts

Posted Nov 23 2014 - 07:13 PM

Speaking of sets, I've noticed on a few pages, such as the page for Kinloka, an error occurs when clicking on the instructions link.  A Keep & Share message pops up, saying that the information is not available.  Does anyone know why that is?

33ng8qf.jpg

#92 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-April 07
  • 3,088 posts

Posted Nov 23 2014 - 07:20 PM

Speaking of sets, I've noticed on a few pages, such as the page for Kinloka, an error occurs when clicking on the instructions link.  A Keep & Share message pops up, saying that the information is not available.  Does anyone know why that is?

Probably the person's account who hosted the files expired, so the instructions aren't available anymore.

--
Meiko - @georgebarnick

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users