The Official Halo Topic

Skarloth

I for one am in love with the boltshot, light rifle and carbine. For long range vehicle maps, I use the light rifle and plasma pistol. For smaller maps like haven or adrift, I whip out my trusty carbine and boltshot. Seriously, the light rifle is easily the best gun for long range since in scope, it's only 4 shots in the head to kill. And I love the fast firing of the carbine. I'm constantly winning battles against BRs and DMRs just because I can place each shot and screw up their aiming so much. And the boltshot? Don't even get me started. I get 4-10 kills on average with that gun per game. It's such a good gun. And even if you only take their shields down just shoot them in the head.The weapons are probably my favorite thing about Halo 4 so far.~U_K~

alienbanner.jpg

Totally agree, I've won every regicide game (a braggable 4) I've been in by a landslide thanks to my lightrifle and suppressor. I use the plasma pistol on the vehicle maps only, since I tend to do a lot of hijacking and vehicle destroying. And don't even get me started on the Mantis, I LOVE that thing, I went 20 and 2 in a game of Cap the Flag using mantis only. The stomp ability helps soooo much when those nasty little reds try to hijack you. I've noticed not many people use the mantis, which is fine with me, since I just hog it all game since I have much practice with it.Also, Spartan Slayer commendation Expert is gonna take awhile to get, I have 200 something of the 600 kills I need for expert, mastery is going to take forever.And hey, how good you are doesn't matter. I'm really good but I've noticed the less experience tend to make for funner custom games, just a trend I've seen. We definitly need to have a BZP game night (Xaron, I turn to you for that), but not Friday, my dad is having a Halo gamenight of his own (for some reason he doesn't let me play, I think its because I've finally surpassed his skills in Halo :P)

The Boltshot is so hard to use. Also, I can't figure out the purpose of the Carbine or Light Rifle outside of story mode. The Carbine was freaking awesome in Halo 3 but the made it kill with 8 instead of 7 shots, plus it has less aim assist and straight up longer kill times. The Light Rifle isn't hitscan and has longer kill times than both the DMR and the BR. Can anyone tell me why I should use anything but those two human weapons as my primary gun?
Boltshot's not that hard to use, but it does take a while to consistently get the timing of the charge right.Also I only use the DMR for those exact reasons.
I only use the DMR now. I'm finding it near impossible to compete against enemy DMRs with a Lightrifle or BR, especially when I have to hip fire. I haven't tried to counter with the Carbine yet, but judging by the fact that most rounds of Ragnarok are DMR fests, it probably isn't what I'm looking for.

The Redwall RPG; closed now
Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years
Credit to Supernova Productions and Expired! for the Avatar.

Apparently I'm now Kopaka?

So some thoughts about the ending (Major spoilers, but I'll try to be vague):

Honestly never thought that there would be a trench run in a Halo game. I don't know what to think about the final boss fight being a quick-time event, but the other games never did boss fights that well, so this might be a good thing.As for the final two deaths, I doubt that they are really dead. The first one just sort of fell out of sight, and even with the ship nuked, there should be pretty large chunks of it floating around that the second one could have survived. Granted, having the second one survive is just wishful thinking on my part, but the first one surviving is almost certain. It wouldn't be much of a trilogy if the enemy died in the first part.

I am thinking of reinstalling the Halo games I own for PC. Does anyone play those anymore?

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

The Boltshot is so hard to use. Also, I can't figure out the purpose of the Carbine or Light Rifle outside of story mode. The Carbine was freaking awesome in Halo 3 but the made it kill with 8 instead of 7 shots, plus it has less aim assist and straight up longer kill times. The Light Rifle isn't hitscan and has longer kill times than both the DMR and the BR. Can anyone tell me why I should use anything but those two human weapons as my primary gun?
Boltshot's not that hard to use, but it does take a while to consistently get the timing of the charge right.Also I only use the DMR for those exact reasons.
I only use the DMR now. I'm finding it near impossible to compete against enemy DMRs with a Lightrifle or BR, especially when I have to hip fire. I haven't tried to counter with the Carbine yet, but judging by the fact that most rounds of Ragnarok are DMR fests, it probably isn't what I'm looking for.
Pffft, Lightrifle all the way, four shots is all it takes.

So.... I'm stuck in the campaign. >_<

I'm on mission 4 and I'm at the spot where you have to defend a door while Cortana opens it up for you. I imagine there's multiple waves, but I can't even get past the first. I'm on Legendary, by the way... With a nearly-depleted DMR, a Rail Gun, and an AR. And of course the turrets. But staying put on one is not wise. And taking one and running hasn't worked either because of the density of Knights that show up; I can't take one out while three more are killing me.So... Any suggestions for how to tackle this area?

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

@ J46 Nui, I have Halo PC and I think I have custom edition installed too, I probably wouldn't mind joining some games with you, though I will probably suck at the PC version, or at least suck worse.As for Turahk, I have not played the level in a while, is there a plasma pistol nearby? If not then try ripping off the turret and hiding behind cover, very simple and probably ineffectual but I felt like I should say something...

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Okay, I've been playing with the Light Rifle and Bolt Shot combo today, and I'm a believer. At least for small/mid size maps. On big ones I'll still go DMR. I still can't see the purpose of the Carbine beyond it disrupting the enemy's aim a bit more than the other guns. It doesn't seem like enough incentive. I hope they buff it.

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

^His spoiler. Completely. So, SR31 now, been playing around with a few things, and sorry to say to everyone above, but the DMR is the far-supperior weapon in this game. Sure, Light Rifle may be stronger, but DMR is faster. Don't get me wrong, Light Rifle may just be the greatest campaign weapon there is, but the DMR out-performs the Light Rifle quite easily in my book. Although this is coming from a Sniper at heart, so it's in my blood to have quick and good aim. I have come out on top of every 1v1 shoot-out, unless I had been 'naded, or if it was more than one person. DMR is crazy over-powered, I'd give it another shot if I were y'all.Anyways, just beat Solo Legendary (took so long.. stupid work, and weekend trip...). Honestly what a fun campaign. The second time through really just awed me at how amazing this game looks graphically, and just in general how fun it is. But if you guys are doing a BZP game night, let me know, I'm on every day after 5pm Eastern time. - Taka

BZPChat

Story-line spoiler regarding the above two posts:

I am not putting all my faith into it, but in some weird way, they left Cortana's "death" too open. I can see it possible for 343 to write her back in if they so choose. For pete's sakes, Stacker's still alive right? Promoted, even.Like I said, not expecting Cortana to somehow have survived the ending, but not counting her out either. She's MIA in my books.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Story-line spoiler regarding the above two posts:

I am not putting all my faith into it, but in some weird way, they left Cortana's "death" too open. I can see it possible for 343 to write her back in if they so choose. For pete's sakes, Stacker's still alive right? Promoted, even.Like I said, not expecting Cortana to somehow have survived the ending, but not counting her out either. She's MIA in my books.

Same, though I do hope that we get to hear from Stacker and Buck, it would be awesome to have Nathan Fillian back in the games.As some of you may know, I am also a Marathon fan, and when browsing around the dedicated Marathon Story site, I found some stuff about Halo, the early Halo. Most of this information is from 1999 to 2000, if any one is interested in reading them, they are quite interesting.Halo TransmissionsCortana LettersOfficial Halo BackstoryThe original intentions here are interesting, I also remember references to the Cortana Letters in Halo 3. Also Cortana appears to have had an email address among other things. It is cortana@jpl.nasa.gov. Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Honestly never thought that there would be a trench run in a Halo game. I don't know what to think about the final boss fight being a quick-time event, but the other games never did boss fights that well, so this might be a good thing.As for the final two deaths, I doubt that they are really dead. The first one just sort of fell out of sight, and even with the ship nuked, there should be pretty large chunks of it floating around that the second one could have survived. Granted, having the second one survive is just wishful thinking on my part, but the first one surviving is almost certain. It wouldn't be much of a trilogy if the enemy died in the first part.

I am thinking of reinstalling the Halo games I own for PC. Does anyone play those anymore?

In regards to the Didact's death: It's quite possible he's really dead. He fell into the Composer (Which he was immune to, so he couldn't be composed) and blown up by a nuke. If that isn't enough, his armor was breached by a Pulse Grenade so it's unlikely he'd survive in the Vacuum, AND be missed by the Infinity search crews...Tthe potential big bad that was hinted in the series is something FAR more ancient and evil than the Didact... As for Cortana, I think she might have survived somehow, though it would be interesting to see the Chief deal with the loss.Regarding the ship, I think the prologue made it clear the entire ship was destroyed due to the Havok-class Nuke... We see that only small fragments of the ship survived, and the chief only made it because of Cortana's Hard Light shield. She even made it clear she was too badly corrupted, and I think she indicated her card was destroyed.As for the Enemy in the rest of the trilogy, look in the books. It's VERY clear that the Precursors are coming to test humanity once again, to see if they are truly worthy of the Mantle that the Forerunners failed to gain. I can totally see a second galactic invasion of the flood (or some new precursor spawn)coming to threaten all of humanity once again. The Precursors would be a perfect enemy, as they remain almost completely mysterious.

Edited by Rausaro

Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years

In regards to the Didact's death: It's quite possible he's really dead. He fell into the Composer (Which he was immune to, so he couldn't be composed) and blown up by a nuke. If that isn't enough, his armor was breached by a Pulse Grenade so it's unlikely he'd survive in the Vacuum, AND be missed by the Infinity search crews...Tthe potential big bad that was hinted in the series is something FAR more ancient and evil than the Didact... As for Cortana, I think she might have survived somehow, though it would be interesting to see the Chief deal with the loss.Regarding the ship, I think the prologue made it clear the entire ship was destroyed due to the Havok-class Nuke... We see that only small fragments of the ship survived, and the chief only made it because of Cortana's Hard Light shield. She even made it clear she was too badly corrupted, and I think she indicated her card was destroyed.As for the Enemy in the rest of the trilogy, look in the books. It's VERY clear that the Precursors are coming to test humanity once again, to see if they are truly worthy of the Mantle that the Forerunners failed to gain. I can totally see a second galactic invasion of the flood (or some new precursor spawn)coming to threaten all of humanity once again. The Precursors would be a perfect enemy, as they remain almost completely mysterious.

It has been a while since I read Primordium, but didn't the last Precursor turn out to be a gravemind? That could mean that they were wiped out by the flood, somehow created the flood, or somehow became the flood. Since the flood storyline was pretty much wrapped up in Halo 3, and having the Precursors return might open that up again. I don't think that they will try and do that quite yet. Again, it has been a while since I read it, so I may be completely wrong here.As for what Jerzy said, I agree. Also, I am not entirely sure if that grenade did rupture his suit. Plus, it has been shown before that the Forerunners had teleporting technology. Plus, I am pretty sure that his armor used some sort of hardlight technology too, so he could have protected himself from the blast.

It has been a while since I read Primordium, but didn't the last Precursor turn out to be a gravemind? That could mean that they were wiped out by the flood, somehow created the flood, or somehow became the flood. Since the flood storyline was pretty much wrapped up in Halo 3, and having the Precursors return might open that up again. I don't think that they will try and do that quite yet. Again, it has been a while since I read it, so I may be completely wrong here.As for what Jerzy said, I agree. Also, I am not entirely sure if that grenade did rupture his suit. Plus, it has been shown before that the Forerunners had teleporting technology. Plus, I am pretty sure that his armor used some sort of hardlight technology too, so he could have protected himself from the blast.

According to the Primordial, the Precursors ARE the flood, or the flood are part of the Precursors. Judging by the description of the book Silentium, the flood origins will be revealed... and supposedly, It was part of a plan set into motion 10,000,000 years ago outside the Galaxy....Currently, it's unknown if the Primordial is lying, or telling the truth. The Didact clearly didn't believe the Primordial... But it could have been because of his incorrect view of the Mantle.In Halo 3, the Gravemind states that "Defeat is merely an addition of time" to the inevitable. According to the books, the Flood has twice invaded the galaxy. The first time, it attacked the humans, allowed them to think they defeated it, and choose to flee. Several hundred years later, it returned in another region of the Galaxy, attacking the unprepared Forerunners (Of note, it's possible that the Flood returned only because the Forerunners devolved humanity, violated the mantle, and threw the plans of the Precursors into jeopardy) At this point, we don't know where the flood's proverbial wellspring is, but it appears to be from an extra galactic source. Even more concerning is how the Primordial hints that "another" (Precursor?) will be released, and that humanity will once again be tested in 101,000 years.... quite possibly in the 2500's. Since the books now directly tie into the games, I think it's quite likely the all important precursors will show up again.As for the Didact, we clearly see orange fluid jet out of his suit when the device detonates, which I assume is blood. Yes, he had teleporting tech, but nothing indicates that his Combat skin can actually teleport the Didact when he's not on a Forerunner teleporation Grid, like Halo or Requiem. As for the Hardlight shield, his armor exploded, and he held the hole in his chest before he keeled over and fell. I don't think it's intact. He could have survived the blast, but you would think that Infinity and the rest of the UNSC fleet picking through the wreckage would have found him? Finally, I saw no Slipspace rupture in the final battle, only the maelstrom of the Composer.

Edited by Rausaro

Not saying whether he survived or not but the Didact probably could have survived the blast, but this relies on unknowns, one of them being that he could have survived because of his biology as I am not sure if his suit would keep him alive or if such an event is survivable for a forerunner, assuming 343 does not decide to oust him entirely in favor of some other villain, though I am not sure. Then again, I will say that I did not read the forerunner novels themselves, but I have read summaries.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

I'd much prefer it if we faced a new enemy in the upcoming games. The Didact was a good enemy, but I don't think he's interesting enough to play against for another two games. Maybe it's because I think a bad guy with a deadly superweapon is a little too cliched. While I don't want to totally ignore everything we faced in this game, I'd be much happier if we had to face the Precursors. I think that would be very interesting war.

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

I'd much prefer it if we faced a new enemy in the upcoming games. The Didact was a good enemy, but I don't think he's interesting enough to play against for another two games. Maybe it's because I think a bad guy with a deadly superweapon is a little too cliched. While I don't want to totally ignore everything we faced in this game, I'd be much happier if we had to face the Precursors. I think that would be very interesting war.

The Precursors would be downright terrifying. Also, I wonder if they've created a successor to the Flood Organism? Primordial claimed that other Precursors escaped the Galaxy and that "Creation continued"....

Well, I still don't like the idea of the Prometheans being an enemy that appears in a single game before returning to the Flood (which I believe should not be in any games taking place post-Halo 3), but other threats from the Precursors would be interesting. I still think this trilogy will be Forerunner centric though, with it being the Reclaimer trilogy.

Edited by J46 Nui

The Primordial turned out to be a Gravemind, I don't think most or any of what he said held any sort of truth to it :P
Well, seeing as we don't know the true biological nature of the Precursors, it's entirely possible he wasn't lying. For all we know, Graveminds could merely be the larval stage of the Precursors. Not to mention, we've never seen a Gravemind that was actually a walking entity resembling an existing creature. The Delta Gravemind was merely a mass of rotting bodies and tentacles, but the Timeless One is actually an arthropodic creature resembling a Sea Scorpion. It's possible that the Didact's bias prevented him from seeing the truth... Edited by Rausaro

Yeah I figured out the reason I kept having a hard time on the mission I was complaining about before (even after finding a good hiding place) was because everything despawned almost instantly. Even the turret I dragged over disappeared literally before my eyes!I find it truly vexing.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

So my dad has 12 friends over for a Halo 4 gamenight, my dad usually hosts Halo gamenights every once in a blue moon, and they let me join them for a few matches...before they kicked me out :PHeres why:Free-for-all Slayer (not regicide)Map-AbandonKills to win: 60Timelimit: 10 minutesHighest kills that were had-52Second highest-31Simply put, I was leading by 21 points. I now know why they don't let me play with them XD

I am in love with the DMR, and the carbine again. Both weapons are amazing, but I wish the carbine was used more often. I've finished the first two Spops missions on Legendary, the campaign on Legendary in co-op, and solo Legendary. I absolutely hated fighting the knights. They were basically bullet sponges.The multiplayer maps, not including the Forge maps (Impact <3) range from bad to great. Haven and Longbow are my favorite maps, and Abandon is my least favorite.I managed to reach a 2.5 K/D with a 65% W/L. Of course, I used the DMR for over half my kills.The things that irk me are minimal:-Extremely fast weapon despawn times-Glitched killcams-And enormous hitboxes(and about my lack of comic sans, I switched to Linux and all the texts are basically the same)

Edited by Akuna Toa of Sonics

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

Something that was brought to my attention reading up on some halo news and stuff.....

Is it possible that the Chief has the Didact's Geas? In the last level, he keeps hearing the Didact speaking, but Cortana's not detecting anything, and Forerunners have never been known for Telepathy... I'll need to listen to the Dialogue again, but I wonder if the Didact had a personality copy in the Chief, or if the Bornstellar Didact is speaking inside the Chief? The Librarian did state that she planed "seeds" of the Didact into humans, and the Chief carries one....

Something that was brought to my attention reading up on some halo news and stuff.....

Is it possible that the Chief has the Didact's Geas? In the last level, he keeps hearing the Didact speaking, but Cortana's not detecting anything, and Forerunners have never been known for Telepathy... I'll need to listen to the Dialogue again, but I wonder if the Didact had a personality copy in the Chief, or if the Bornstellar Didact is speaking inside the Chief? The Librarian did state that she planed "seeds" of the Didact into humans, and the Chief carries one....

It's the same thing that hit me a lot.

I however understood Librarian's speech this way: the seeds are the combat suit, augmentation process and advanced AI. These make humans closer to Forerunners, so I think that's what she meant for seeds. Still, we don't know what she did to Chief that saved him from the Composer's effect.Though, you may be right. If that's true, Halo 5 may be based on Chief facing an evil side of him, presumably. Even if I don't completely understand the whole Ur-Didact/Bornstellar Didact...

I wonder what'll happen to Chief...

I will be COMPLETELY off but....

maybe, Didact falling in+Composer= Techno-Gravemind XD. That would be terrifying, that might also mean the Halo rings would be ineffective against these technoflood.. As for Cortana, I'm hoping maybe copies/fragments of her are stuck in whatever digital realm the Composer sends data in OR maybe she left some parts of her in Chief's armor [she did say that she updated the armor firmware in the beginning of the game]. Of course, Halo 5, Chief might be sporting the new GEN2 MJOLNIR, but he should keep his helmet for sentimental reasons. It was like his and Cortana's home, that helmet.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

I will be COMPLETELY off but....

maybe, Didact falling in+Composer= Techno-Gravemind XD. That would be terrifying, that might also mean the Halo rings would be ineffective against these technoflood..

there's two problems with that:

1.- in the fifth terminal, the Didact himself says the Composer will not work on him because the many mutation he made himself to find a cure to the Flood infection2.- The Composer's effect aren't the same as Halo rings' effect: the Composer digitize minds and destroy bodies; the Halo rings destroy all organic life

Edited by The_Didact
didact.jpg

@ TRE: The Ur-Didact was the first Didact, and he served as leader of the Promeatheans. However, during a political shakeup he ran afoul of the Master Builder, and chose exile. The Librarian manipulates a young Forerunner named "Bornstellar", and this Forerunner releases the didact and becomes exposed to some dark secrets. The Didact gives the youth his genetic imprint, and slowly the youth turns into a younger copy of the Original. As of Cryptum, it appears the Master Builder executed the original "Ur" Didact, but Silentium's description reveals that he survived alongside the Bornstellar Didact. As of right now, it's unknown exactly which Didact appears in Halo 4, but my personal guess is it's the original, as the terminals seem to suggest the more human-friendly Bornstellar died while activating Halo.

@ TRE: The Ur-Didact was the first Didact, and he served as leader of the Promeatheans. However, during a political shakeup he ran afoul of the Master Builder, and chose exile. The Librarian manipulates a young Forerunner named "Bornstellar", and this Forerunner releases the didact and becomes exposed to some dark secrets. The Didact gives the youth his genetic imprint, and slowly the youth turns into a younger copy of the Original. As of Cryptum, it appears the Master Builder executed the original "Ur" Didact, but Silentium's description reveals that he survived alongside the Bornstellar Didact. As of right now, it's unknown exactly which Didact appears in Halo 4, but my personal guess is it's the original, as the terminals seem to suggest the more human-friendly Bornstellar died while activating Halo.
Hmmm, now I see. Thank you!