Posters Released on Faber Files

In commemoration of the one year anniversary of the Faber Files, Cristian Faber has released five posters that many of you may have forgotten. There are also some interesting little blurbs explaining the posters, and of course, they're pretty to look at as well. Go ahead and check them out and comment in the talkback.View the full article

The Metru Nui poster is one of the coolest concept posters I've ever seen. It kind of makes me wish Metru Nui was really like that in the storyline.

The poster teasing about the 7th Toa is good too, though I kind of wished it said 'The 7th Toa' instead of 'The 7th' on the top of it.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The first version of Metru Nui looks very gloomy and uninviting. I think some of this appearance actually did make it into the early 2004 imagery (I'm thinking of the Toa Metru groupshot with the chimney-looking towers behind them), before a sunnier approach was taken.

Did anyone notice that the poster promises a release for the movie 'in theatres'? Legends of Metru Nui did get some isolated theatrical showings, but the poster seems to imply a general release was planned.

I remember seeing the 2003 teaser poster somewhere, so it must've been used at some point.

These posters are good to see. Some have shown up before, as Christian Faber said (the Mask of Light teaser poster was already known, for instance), but others are brand-new for public release. I'm glad the Metru Nui story arc didn't go with the aesthetic hinted in the Legends of Metru Nui poster... frankly, as Lewa observed in 2003, the Toa Mata went underground a lot, and a whole story arc in a gloomy underground setting would not have felt nearly as fresh as the diverse urban settings Metru Nui eventually acquired.It's also interesting to see that the tagline of the Vahki changed from "Obey or Run" to "Surrender or Run". The former might fit better with the Vahki's role in the story (police enforcers), but the latter has a better rhythm to it in my opinion and feels a lot more exciting, so I'm glad they changed it.I wonder if Faber will be uploading more posters in the coming weeks... I'd love to see more internal concept posters like the Metru Nui one.

Yeah, I noticed that on the Metru Nui poster it said "in theaters." What also caught my eye was that logo at the top. The left side looks like part of the UDD symbol, but I can't tell what the other part is.

The object as a whole is meant to resemble a key, to tie in with the tagline "the key to the legend" which appears underneath. Though it's not clear whether this key graphic was ever meant to be an in-story artifact or just a symbol. Regardless, neither the key nor the tagline ever did end up getting used in official promotional media.

Interesting to see that Faber is behind the version of the Kanohi Kraahkan used on the box art for BIONICLE: The Game. It always did seem to be different from the art style of the rest of the game. The only instance of the Avohkii being used that I can think of is in a super close-up in the introduction to issue eleven of the comic. It is a shame it was not used anywhere else.

I love the 7th Toa one, although its not obviously Jaller in the picture, in fact the arms look wrong to be Jaller. But excluding Jaller, it's a stunning poster.

I always thought that it was Tahu in the Seventh Toa poster, but looking more closely it appears that it is in fact a prototype for the 2003 Matoran Jaller model. I suppose that means that the poster was made before the summer 2003 sets were finalized.

I heard somewhere that a theatrical movie was planned for 2004; this is just more evidence of it.Although I'm glad they got away from that gloomy setting.

Legends of Metru-Nui was initially planned as a theatrical release, but for whatever reason (I would suppose it was lower than expected sales on Mask of Light) it was downsized to direct-to-video format. At that time, it was hoped that Web of Shadows would be released theatrically, but of course that too was lowered in its scope eventually.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

The first version of Metru Nui looks very gloomy and uninviting. I think some of this appearance actually did make it into the early 2004 imagery (I'm thinking of the Toa Metru groupshot with the chimney-looking towers behind them), before a sunnier approach was taken.

Did anyone notice that the poster promises a release for the movie 'in theatres'? Legends of Metru Nui did get some isolated theatrical showings, but the poster seems to imply a general release was planned.

I remember seeing the 2003 teaser poster somewhere, so it must've been used at some point.

Yeah, I noticed that on the Metru Nui poster it said "in theaters." What also caught my eye was that logo at the top. The left side looks like part of the UDD symbol, but I can't tell what the other part is.

I heard somewhere that a theatrical movie was planned for 2004; this is just more evidence of it.Although I'm glad they got away from that gloomy setting.

The object as a whole is meant to resemble a key, to tie in with the tagline "the key to the legend" which appears underneath. Though it's not clear whether this key graphic was ever meant to be an in-story artifact or just a symbol. Regardless, neither the key nor the tagline ever did end up getting used in official promotional media.

I made a topic a while back on the old forums about an old news post on BZPower (I'll try to find it again) which was made around MoL's release that referred to a theatrical movie sequel called "The Mask Maker." I remember an even older post from about 2002 that described two movies being made, one for DtV 2003 release, and the other for theatrical 2004 or 2005 release.

Was "The Key to the Legend" a planned title or just a tag line? I feel "The Mask Maker" is still a the best title.

Legends of Metru-Nui was initially planned as a theatrical release, but for whatever reason (I would suppose it was lower than expected sales on Mask of Light) it was downsized to direct-to-video format. At that time, it was hoped that Web of Shadows would be released theatrically, but of course that too was lowered in its scope eventually.

Actually, I recall Greg saying Mask of Light "did spectacularly", so I doubt it was that. They probably planned a theatrical release as a step up from the first movie's good sales, but later felt the second one just wasn't fit for a major theatrical release. Remember that of the movies, Legends of Metru Nui has the most story baggage, with a new location and a complex plot, whereas Mask of Light's setting and characters had already been established, and Web of Shadows is basically a long chapter within its predecessor.

Edited by Sir Kohran

Look at Ehlek's head in the Barraki poster. It looks a lot smoother than the final product.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

Look at Ehlek's head in the Barraki poster. It looks a lot smoother than the final product. -TNTOS-

Yep. Also, he has red eyes instead of blue. I believe this preliminary version of Ehlek also showed up on the PDF lyrics sheet for "Creeping in my Soul" that was available in the downloads section of BIONICLE.com.

Actually, I recall Greg saying Mask of Light "did spectacularly", so I doubt it was that. They probably planned a theatrical release as a step up from the first movie's good sales, but later felt the second one just wasn't fit for a major theatrical release. Remember that of the movies, Legends of Metru Nui has the most story baggage, with a new location and a complex plot, whereas Mask of Light's setting and characters had already been established, and Web of Shadows is basically a long chapter within its predecessor.

I also remember reading articles released around that time that said that it was either the best selling or most well received direct to DVD release in 2003.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46