Krekka's Species

Taipu1

I was working on my epic and had a few issues relating to the inhabitants of Stelt, as neither Sidoraks nor Krekka's species have official names. This was just an idea (not sure if this sort of topic is allowed either, please close if not) but could Krekka's species be called Krekka? Explanation: Because Krekka (character) was so stupid, he never really took up a name, people simply refered to him by what he was, as an insult. This wouldn't solve the naming issue with Sidorak's species, but could be a usable species name for Krekka's species, therefore leaving Sidoraks species open to a simple name based on Stelt, like Steltians. Thoughts?

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

I would suggest holding onto the idea and letting us discuss it out here rather than sending it to GregF, seeing as he is busy and chances are he would point to BIONICLE Story Squad for you to send the question off to. :) In any case, it's an interesting idea, similar to how Makuta Tridax and the Skakdi Nektann were named.

Edited by Erebus

jlovfkk.jpg

Good idea. You could also suggest in your epic that the term "Krekka" means someone with lower intelligence and social status, and is used as an insult like you said.

It was all a lie. There's nothing wrong with you.

Nice of you to say. But you of all people should know:

there's plenty wrong with me.

I'm working on an epic myself, but it may be some time before anyone sees it because I want to finish the entire thing before I start posting the chapters. A couple times I had that species appear. I simply referred to them as Steltian slaves, slave species, or gave it a situational name (e.g. When an abnormally large one shows up, I would always refer to it as the massive brute, behemonth, monstrosity, etc.) It's a tricky problem to dodge...

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

I would suggest holding onto the idea and letting us discuss it out here rather than sending it to GregF, seeing as he is busy and chances are he would point to BIONICLE Story Squad for you to send the question off to. :) In any case, it's an interesting idea, similar to how Makuta Tridax and the Skakdi Nektann were named.

No no, I meant that in the "Greg may have named Sidorak's species before and it's being overlooked at the moment" way. I love the Krekka idea, though.
:hau: :a::k::a::m::a::i::9::2::1: :infected:

IYAAYAS Coin 1

No no, I meant that in the "Greg may have named Sidorak's species before and it's being overlooked at the moment" way. I love the Krekka idea, though.

:hau: :a: :k: :a: :m: :a: :i: :9: :2: :1: :infected:

I checked biosector01 pages for Sidorak, Krekka and Stelt before I made this topic, just to check I wasn't just forgeting the names. I doubt people would overlook the information unless it came out inconveniently the day before the downtime or something, and no one had time to take it in...

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

I checked biosector01 pages for Sidorak, Krekka and Stelt before I made this topic, just to check I wasn't just forgeting the names. I doubt people would overlook the information unless it came out inconveniently the day before the downtime or something, and no one had time to take it in...
Ya never know. :biggrin:

:hau: :a: :k: :a: :m: :a: :i: :9: :2: :1: :infected:

Edited by Akamai921

IYAAYAS Coin 1

The main problem with getting this disproved, or canonized, is that Krekka's species is so irrelevant to the storyline at the moment. Krekka is the only named member of his species, all others that have featured have been throwaway characters. Also noticed Gladiators species, also from Stelt. If either Sidorak or Gladiators species were to have a name like 'Steltians' I imagine it would be Sidoraks, as they control Stelt, where as Gladiators species are slaves.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

In Federation of Fear, they were nicknamed "bruisers", if that helps.

The trader smiled and invited the party out to view his prize craft. So excited was he by visions of the wealth that would soon be his that he never noticed Takadox had slipped away. The boat turned out to be good-sized, well armed with disk launchers, and large enough to accommodate at least a dozen beings. A crew of large, blue and gray armored bruisers were at work on it now.

That's from chapter two, I forget where Greg mentioned them being Krekka's species, but the description and context seems to fit, doesnt it?

I'd love to see all those unnamed species have names, but I don't want to have to distinguish "Krekka (Being)" from "Krekka (Species)."

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

1) Bruisers are mentioned in the second chapter of FoF. Are Bruisers the proper name for Krekka's species?

1) No. Bruiser is a noun meaning someone who is strong, quarrelsome, and eager to fight
I wouldn't call it a nickname; just a simple description of who they are. :) Edited by Erebus

jlovfkk.jpg

"Bruisers" seems like a good unofficial name in my opinion. I must agree with Erebus that it was almost certainly never intended to be a nickname on GregF's part, just a description of their appearance. As I said, though, it seems like an effective name. Just as a suggestion to Taipu1: if you use bruiser to refer to that species you should probably give an indication that it refers to the Steltian slave species, otherwise - as this is a completely unofficial name - you would loose anyone who hasn't read this topic. :sigh:

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

I have to say I'm not fan of the name 'Bruiser' for a species. It sounds more like a Dark Hunter nickname (Irritating really, as Krekka is called Krekka, and not Bruiser, which would be a befitting Dark Hunter nickname). I understand the whole problem with differentiating between Krekka (species), and krekka (being), but there is the issue that there are unlikely to be many more official lego names, so that may be the way a lot of things go. It's also quite commonly seen already, in Tren Krom, Karzahni, Mangai, Ihu and more. The closest example to this would have to be Makuta, who was for years the terrifying sounding antagonist in Bionicle, then suddenly, it became a species name. I know some people weren't happy with that, and unlike this situation, another name was allocated to Makuta, Teridax.

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

I actually really like the idea that Krekka would just be using his species name to refer to himself, or maybe just an insulting word in the Steltian language. It definitely fits with his character, and as has already been mentioned, there probably won't be any more official LEGO names since the BIONICLE set line ended. "Bruiser" sounds like maybe a class within the species, like perhaps to refer to those members of the species who work as guards or soldiers. But that's just my opinion. :mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

For the record, I wasn't a fan of the whole "Makuta (Species)" move either. :P Personally, I'm just going to continue calling them Steltian laborers (with Steltians and Steltian colossi being the other classes), but bruisers works as a nickname.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

It's an interesting idea. An alternative way to consider it (that I don't think I've seen mentioned) is that a lot of Dark Hunters get assigned codenames; Krekka, Nidhiki, and a few others obviously didn't, because we knew their names, but Krekka (if we are to make it the species name) could then be, not a name he chose for himself (part about this theory I don't think really meshes) but a generic codename, to refer to this brainless drone. As it stands, I don't think it makes terribly much sense that he would just take on the species name; most people don't introduce themselves as "human", even stupid people. Plus, I'd rather have a specific name for Krekka than a species name, overall.

As it stands, I don't think it makes terribly much sense that he would just take on the species name; most people don't introduce themselves as "human", even stupid people. Plus, I'd rather have a specific name for Krekka than a species name, overall.

In general, that's a good point, but as far as known storyline has gone, Krekka's never really introduced himself. Nidhiki's done most of the speaking on Krekka's behalf. Comparing to humans doesn't necessarily work, as we don't know much about Krekka's species itself. If all member's of his species are as stupid as he is, or near so (Don't know that it's been mentioned at all really, the only thing known about them is they're labourers and lower class on Stelt), then they may not necessarily have adopted something like naming each other within their own kind.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

True, humans don't introduce themselves as "human," mainly because there aren't any other intelligent species (that we know of :blink: ) to compare it to. However, if there was a human who was rather dumb by another being's standards and that human was an underling of the other being, then it would be believable for the other being to refer to his underling by "Human." "Hey, human, get over here." Has Krekka ever said the word "Krekka?" As far as I can recall, it's only ever been said by Nidhiki and the Toa. I'll have to go back and watch LoMN again... :mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Going back to what somebody said about Krekka being a Dark Hunter codename; it is highly unlikely due to other Dark Hunter codenames being in English, like "Ancient".

Yes, but presumably they are only in English for the fan's benefit, as it has al-ready been shown that Matoran has seperate words as well as a seperate alpha-bet(E.g Barraki=War-lord, Piraka=Murderer), so for all we know, 'Krekka' probably means 'stupid' or 'brute' in Matoran. Edited by Last of the Time Lords

"Only the insane equate pain with success.

Only the savage regard endurance of pain as a measure of worth.

Only the foolish consider pain to be just wages for being different".- The Cheshire Cat (American McGee's Alice/Alice:Madness Returns)

Not fully sure what the system is with codenames for Dark Hunters, but Nidhiki wasn't a codename either.

Has Krekka ever said the word "Krekka?" As far as I can recall, it's only ever been said by Nidhiki and the Toa. I'll have to go back and watch LoMN again... :mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

That's what I meant earlier when I said krekka hadn't really introduced himself. He ended up playing the part of Nidhiki's pet in terms of rank, and along those lines it's similar to a human calling a dog 'boy'.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Seems like an okay idea, but I've always liked Krekka, and stating that it wasn't his name and just the species name would ruin it for me. And it has been stated in story before that that particular being is named Krekka. So I think that kinda renders this idea invalid. t1ssig.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Seems like an okay idea, but I've always liked Krekka, and stating that it wasn't his name and just the species name would ruin it for me. And it has been stated in story before that that particular being is named Krekka. So I think that kinda renders this idea invalid. t1ssig.png

Just because it's his species name doesn't mean it can't be his name as well. Do you know exactly a point where it was stated his name was Krekka? Because that would probably help move the whole thing along if there actually was.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Going back to what somebody said about Krekka being a Dark Hunter codename; it is highly unlikely due to other Dark Hunter codenames being in English, like "Ancient".

Krekka could be a kind of insult or the name of Krekka's own species, as mentioned before. It's possible, since other Dark Hunters have had non-English names. (Triglax, Firedracax, Sentrakh)

TSO said in the Dark Hunter guide that those who were no longer in the organization were called by their proper/real name. As Krekka was one of those, I don't think it'd make sense to have the name as his species'. It honestly feels unnecessary to even ponder the notion. Sticking it as 'he's stupid' doesn't sit well with me either.

AXKP5KC.png

Just because it's his species name doesn't mean it can't be his name as well. Do you know exactly a point where it was stated his name was Krekka? Because that would probably help move the whole thing along if there actually was.
I thought it had. I recall in one of the books Nidhiki introduced him as Krekka, and there was one time when it was told of the time Gorast took Krekka's eye out. I may be wrong, but those are references in case anyone else can get to them faster than me.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I like this idea (if mostly because I hate having a dozen unnamed species), but I'm pretty sure Greg's already said no to it a couple of years ago.

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

If you like this banner, please feel free to add it to your signature.

QUOTE(GregF @ Oct 13 2010, 03:21 AM)

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

Do you think you have what it take to climb... Up the Carrion Stair!

Credit to Toa Zehvor MT for the banner!

I thought it had. I recall in one of the books Nidhiki introduced him as Krekka, and there was one time when it was told of the time Gorast took Krekka's eye out. I may be wrong, but those are references in case anyone else can get to them faster than me.
I suppose if they are correct, it doesn't necessarily tear the theory apart. Krekka is stupid, I wouldn't put it past him to adopt the name because people kept calling him it, but I'll look into those points...

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Krekka could be a kind of insult or the name of Krekka's own species, as mentioned before. It's possible, since other Dark Hunters have had non-English names. (Triglax, Firedracax, Sentrakh)
Yeah, but just because their names aren't English doesn't mean they're codenames. Odds are that those are actual names, not codenames.
oniban.png

Yeah, but just because their names aren't English doesn't mean they're codenames. Odds are that those are actual names, not codenames.
I go by the assumption that Dark Hunter names are English where English words are available. Obviously there's going to be no English if the name is a species that doesn't really exist in the real world. And the same could be applicable to the others, Triglax, Firedracax and Sentrakh could be matoran words that have no meaningful English translation...

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles