Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

As of today I have finally beaten all of F-zero GX's story mode chapters on normal, hard, and very hard. It was a feat that took many months of attempts and many profane shouting, all that remains of 100% GX is some staff ghosts and every pilot movie which should be much easier than story mode.

Edited by Hina Kagiyama
  • Upvote 3
I'm just ToaD

When would it be too late to buy an Xbone? With rumors of a 'slim' version floating around, I wanna get one if it ever comes out. 

But I'm worried it'll come out too far in the generation cycle that it would be a much better idea just to save my money and wait for the "Xbox Two" (lol).

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Yesterday, I decided to dust off my PS3 after about a year to play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

It's okay, but...

THE TITANS ARE SO CHEAP IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY!  :censored:

I just got done trying to beat just the second titan, and I had to rage quit before I broke something.

Overall, I think the game is done well and is pretty fun, but the titan battles are a blemish on this game.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

When would it be too late to buy an Xbone? With rumors of a 'slim' version floating around, I wanna get one if it ever comes out. 

But I'm worried it'll come out too far in the generation cycle that it would be a much better idea just to save my money and wait for the "Xbox Two" (lol).

I'd recommend instead getting a gaming PC. They're a lot more bang for your buck, and they're easier to upgrade.

If you're dead set on getting an Xbone, then get the new slim version. It's been out for only two years, the Xbone. Consoles usually last for 5.

(though it looks like the Wii U might only last 4, but if the NX has backwards compatability, then it'll be fine)

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Personally, I hated MM, mainly because the 3 day limit made it really hard for me to get into, and I wasn't really a fan of how time reversal was handled. WWHD felt much more like OoT to me (mainly because no horribly annoying time travel), and I really enjoyed playing through it.

I'd recommend watching Somecallmejohnny's review of Majora's Mask (I won't link to it here, since it's a little bit on the sweary side of things) because that goes over the entire game. Fair warning, it's rather spoiler-heavy, but it can definitely tell you how you're going to feel about it.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

So I dunno if anyone has already posted about this, but the other thread for it got closed down, so I'm gonna post it here.

If you've played Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii, you HAVE to have noticed the sometimes-ridiculous amount of similarity between it and Bionicle:

MASSIVE XENOBLADE CHRONICLES SPOILERS:

-People create a new universe, become gods to it. (Great Beings or Xenoblade's character, Zanza)

-All life in the universe is on/in gigantic titan(s) (Mata Nui Robot or the Bionis and Mechonis titans)

-Titan(s) have deity-like people controlling them (Zanza and Lady Meyneth or Mata Nui)

-The whole planet is an ocean (Aqua Magna or Xenoblade's unnamed planet)

-The main character is red and has random glimpses of the future (Vakama or Shulk)

-Xenoblade's Nopon species talks very similarly to Le-Matoran chutespeak. Plus, they live in the jungle.

-There's a technologically advanced city in the middle of a sea at the head of one of the titans (Metru Nui or Alcamoth)

-Formerly good deity turns bad, takes over titan (Makuta Teridax or Zanza)

-Two titans do battle (Battle of Bara Magna or reawakened Bionis and Mechonis fighting)

-End result: no more deity figures (Mata Nui departs and Makuta is dead, or Meyneth and Zanza are dead)

-End result: a new world has been made (Spherus Magna or the remains of Bionis)

Coinidence? I think not. Also, these may seem far-fethced, but the idea of a "Chronicle" is also a similarity, and the Monado Arts remind me a LOT of Kanohi mask powers (especially Speed and Shield, Kakama and Hau)

DID SOMEONE MENTION XENOBLADE

I HEARD XENOBLADE.

Anyways...on that thing (might be good to put it in spoiler tags man)

It's not an uncommon kind of theme at all, the creating-a-new-universe-and-becoming-a-god thing. That's a parallel that can be drawn between many fictional things. And, while there are many similarities, most of the Bionicle story was planned out well before happening. XBC was released in...08? I think 08. I forget. I need to double check that. If the team behind XBC intentionally took inspiration from Bionicle, then they would have had to know things happening two years in the future of the story.

[insert joke about I CAN CHANGE THE FUTURE here]

The main characters seeing the future is a coincidence as well, especially the red thing. Mostly because Shulk doesn't always wear red. I mean, you can make him kill Zanza while he only has his underwear on. Clothing colors are most certainly a coincidence. And I don't see the similarty between chute/treespeak and nopon speech, other than it's different than normal. Chute/Treespeak alters words and stuff, usually by combining two words, while the nopon dialect...

yeah it's something else entirely.

Good-god-turned-bad is also a common trope as well, so that's not surprising at all. The whole ocean planet thing isn't...exactly right, either? Technically, in XBC, it's a literal endless ocean. Not a planet. Just...an endless, flat plane, covered in an ocean.

that's my thoughts on it. mostly coincidences, certainly some parallels, but it's mostly coincidental. Though the fact that you are mostly in the Mechonis (the more mechanical of the two Titans) in XBC, like how most of Bionicle is inside Mata Nui is funny, though that was done to show how different the Bionis and Mechonis were. Bionis you're outside, Mechonis inside. Bionis is living life, Mechonis is mechanical life. Natural looking things on Bionis, very artificial on Mechonis.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

That Nintendo Micro-Direct today

Bravely Second: End Layer officially announced for a western release in 2016 (HYPE)

The Chibi Robo amiibo is... exclusively packaged with the game (my hype is dying)

New Splatoon content already (now I want the game even more)

all in all

I'm still not sure why they felt the need for this when E3 is literally less than three weeks away

At first, I was thinking "it's all gonna be superficial evidence," but now that I see it... dang. That's a lot of "coincedence" for a supposedly original IP. Still, it's probably mostly coincedence.

Xenoblade was released in June 2010. I believe around that time was when the big battle took place.

However!

Xenoblade was in development since 2005 and was revealed at E3 2009. Now, I can believe that maybe 2 years were spent on the engine, and 1 on the gameplay basics, but don't tell me the story wasn't already coming into focus around the start of development.

As such, it's merely a coincdence. No actual rip-offery.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I feel pretty much that most stuff is just so common or common enough that it just feels coincidental. There are only a couple of things that I'd really make connections with (mainly everyone living on a giant robot on a water planet), although with XBC being in development before Bionicle hit that point, I'ts just an interesting coincidence.

Anyways, I'm hoping we get a solid release date for Xenoblade X at E3 in a few weeks. So excited for that game.

Edited by Terminus

Speaking of similar games, did anyone else notice the similarities between Super Paper Mario and Lego Universe? (Spoilers for Super Paper Mario below and I assume no one is worried about Lego Universe spoilers :P)

A primary antagonist that is evil member of the nobility with purple skin, red slanted eyes, a jagged red mouth, a top hat, a cape, a staff with a crystal on top, and a tragic backstory of how he used to be a good guy.

Count Bleck or Lego Universe's Baron? Both.

A purple vortex threatening to destroy all known worlds.

The Void or the Maelstrom? Both.

The ability to control the minds of others and use them as the primary minions.

Nastasia's hypnotism and Stromlings.

An evil deformed spider creature as a high ranking minion.

Mimi and Spider Queen.

A female former close friend of the antagonist serving as an ally.

The Paradox leader and (Seriously, MASSIVE SUPER PAPER MARIO SPOILERS BELOW. Turn back now if you do not want to be spoiled. You have been warned.)

and Timpani/Tippi.

Travelling between worlds slowly being consumed by the purple vortex and fighting the antagonist's minions there while trying to save it.

Premise of both games.

While there are certainly plenty of differences, I think that, in the antagonist department at least, this is far too similar to be a coincidence and Lego Universe must have taken some ideas from Super Paper Mario.

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

Anyways, I'm hoping we get a solid release date for Xenoblade X at E3 in a few weeks. So excited for that game.

You aren't the only one. XBX and the new PMD game are...pretty much the only upcoming games I'm super excited about. Not the only ones I'm excited about (Looking forward to Bravely Second, too) but those are probably the only two games I might actually preorder.

And buy a new console for.

please don't make the new pmd game New 3DS exclusive please.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Just wait, Nintendo is gonna announce the New 2DS at E3.

Biggest thing I want from Nintendo is more stuff on Fire Emblem if and SMTxFE. I also definitely want something big from Sony besides Uncharted 4 (Gravity Rush 2 please?), I'm cautiously optimistic about Square Enix's stuff, and I'm really hoping Atlus has a few Persona-related announcements.

Also, if there's anything I'm looking forward to about Xenoblade X, it's the music. Hiroyuki Sawano is my favorite.

After what happened to both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, plus the current state of Square Enix, I'd be worried about how a new SPM would turn out.

But I still like the idea, nonetheless. If it happened and turned out well, that'd be great.

Personally I love both of the current Mario RPG series (Well except for that one game we shall never speak of, hint its a 3DS game that's not Dream Team)

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

After what happened to both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, plus the current state of Square Enix, I'd be worried about how a new SPM would turn out.

But I still like the idea, nonetheless. If it happened and turned out well, that'd be great.

It really depends on the team Square gives the project to.

Hopefully the ones far, far, far away from the trainwreck that was the Lightning Trilogy.

hElbrZ6.gif

Also, if there's anything I'm looking forward to about Xenoblade X, it's the music. Hiroyuki Sawano is my favorite.

Some music from the game has been leaked online.

The environmental music is indeed amazing, but the main battle theme (Black Tar) is

well

it would be better without the rap, and that's not "ew lyrics ruin everything" speaking. it just doesn't flow right at all initially. Of course, it gets better as the song goes on, and goes back to being great (Seriously, up until the initial rap part it's amazing.)

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Superstar Saga, Thousand-Year Door, and Partners in Time were the height of Mario RPGs, IMO. Mario & Luigi isn't beyond redemption yet (they just need to get rid of those side-scrolling parts), but Paper Mario pretty much died to me with SPM.

I'd also want to keep a Super Mario RPG 2 away from the people at squeenix who like mobile games. Another part of the problems I have with them, and some other publishers (death stare towards Konami).

And I know that the Xenoblade X soundtrack is out, I'm actually considering ordering it with my next purchase from Amazon Japan. And I know the song you're talking about, there was a really funny video of it put in unfitting cutscenes in Xenoblade. And it was great.

Also I kinda like that song.

Eh I loved Super Paper Mario. I agree that Thousand Year Door is the vastly superior game, but I still think Super is a good one. Certainly better than its successor.

And I know that the Xenoblade X soundtrack is out, I'm actually considering ordering it with my next purchase from Amazon Japan. And I know the song you're talking about, there was a really funny video of it put in unfitting cutscenes in Xenoblade. And it was great.

Also I kinda like that song.

yes that video was magnificent.

And the song isn't bad. I like it, and I absolutely love it until the first bit of rap starts. actually it's the only song on the soundtrack (That I've heard) which i have an issue with so far. Different from XBC, but...well, to be expected. Different composers, different theme in general. it'd be weird if it had the same kind of music

1Ydp0mg.jpg

another game crash is imminent 

Alright, so, taking bets on who'll salvage the industry this time.

My guess is a Japanese studio, since the major reason another crash is possible is because of AAA games, when most big Japanese games are just AA. It's probably going to be Nintendo again, honestly. They just keep trucking.

hElbrZ6.gif

another game crash is imminent 

Alright, so, taking bets on who'll salvage the industry this time.

My guess is a Japanese studio, since the major reason another crash is possible is because of AAA games, when most big Japanese games are just AA. It's probably going to be Nintendo again, honestly. They just keep trucking.

I mean, Nintendo has enough money to keep functioning as a company for many, many years, even if it continues to make a negative net profit.

If a video game crash does happen, yeah, probably going to be Nintendo which salvages it. At least, widespread video gaming. I doubt indie games are going to vanish any time soon.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

With all the cash they've got stockpiled up, Nintendo is to the gaming industry as Twinkies and cockroaches are to the nuclear apocalypse. With all their money and stubbornness, I can see them still pumping out games even if nobody on earth played video games anymore.

I'm actually kinda worried about the future of the Japanese gaming industry, though, since they all seem to want to get into mobile games, because sadly, that's where the money is.