Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

it feels super cheesy that they're recycling the vault protagonist for a fourth time but at the same time it's a good sort of cheese. i also thought it was cheesy that they're appealing to nostalgia (that shot with vaulty and dogmeat v3 at the end) from fallout 3, which came out in 2008, but i suppose that game, for all its flaws, was really monumental. also it came out almost a decade ago. which is really insane.

Edited by Archer Vonn

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Fourth time? No... It was Fallout 1, 3 and now 4. 2 and NV didn't have a vault protagonist, and neither did BoS or Tactics.

As for Vaulty and Dogmeat v3... It's nice to see Dogmeat back for a third time. It's always good to see a boy and his dog kind of story in a Fallout game.

What I'm gushing over is how good this game looks. It's freaking AWESOME looking! Everything looks so good compared to the abomination that was Gamebyro... Again, now I have a reason for getting a PS4 or, better yet, a gaming rig. Probably a PS4, since any rig I can afford will do a severe injustice to this game.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

how did it go in fo2, the population of a vault moved out, settled a town, and that's where the protag was born, right? haven't played it since my fanboy days

i'll hold out judgements on the graphics since this wasn't gameplay footage, but i will say i do this the art is a lot better. most importantly, it's a lot more colourful. the new deathclaw looks sort of tryhard but i suppose that's sort of the point.

Edited by Archer Vonn

how did it go in fo2, the population of a vault moved out, settled a town, and that's where the protag was born, right? haven't played it since my fanboy days

i'll hold out judgements on the graphics since this wasn't gameplay footage, but i will say i do this the art is a lot better. most importantly, it's a lot more colourful. the new deathclaw looks sort of tryhard but i suppose that's sort of the point.

It wasn't gameplay footage but, from what I could tell, it was in-game footage.

Fo2's protagonist was related to a vault dweller, but wasn't one himself.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Anyone play transformers WfC?

War for Cybertron was good, but Fall of Cybertron was, hands down, unbelievably better in my opinion. It felt much more solid and had some amazing ways to mix up the levels with the characters you use.

Takuma Nuva

I play both on the Xbox. I liked FoC better (character customization, wider variety of characters, & a couple other reasons I can't think of at this time), however it was mostly because I played FoC before WfC. Do you both still play them? :)

Onua.png

War for Cybertron was good, but Fall of Cybertron was, hands down, unbelievably better in my opinion. It felt much more solid and had some amazing ways to mix up the levels with the characters you use.

Takuma Nuva

I play both on the Xbox. I liked FoC better (character customization, wider variety of characters, & a couple other reasons I can't think of at this time), however it was mostly because I played FoC before WfC. Do you both still play them? :)

I haven't really played either in quite some time due to time constraints and a sizable backlog of games to get through. I did try to play FoC on my new TV when I got it, but then I realized that the weapon stores cannot be used without a mouse. Somebody seriously dropped the ball there.

Takuma Nuva

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

Takuma Nuva

I haven't really played either in quite some time due to time constraints and a sizable backlog of games to get through. I did try to play FoC on my new TV when I got it, but then I realized that the weapon stores cannot be used without a mouse. Somebody seriously dropped the ball there.

Takuma Nuva

I want to play FOC so bad. I'd rather skip WfC. I played it with a friend already, but not on my system.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Well, I bought a New 3DS today...

... And then promptly returned it, due to it missing everything in the box except the 3DS, plus it was used and had stuff installed. Spent nearly an hour with Walmart customer service, where they were claiming "they don't resell returned systems" (which I know is a lie, I've seen multiple news articles about them doing exactly that), and finally got my money back.

However, for the 30 or so seconds I had it, I did like it. Might pick one up soon (I really wish Amazon actually sold them, instead of only scalpers selling them on Amazon).

Yeah, I've never had that happen to me, and I've bought 3 or 4 360s and a DS Lite from Walmart.

Also, wow. That was a short hype train for Fallout 4. You'd think such an anticipated game would receive more fanfare. Anyone got themselves a Fallout 4 Hype Train photo?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

http://www.gifwave.com/media/14605_shocked-surprised-patrick-britney-spears-patrick.gif
You're... not interested in Fallout 4...

What is wrong with you?

Edit: Please link to images over 750 kB.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Lost World 3DS was cool. U not so much because it had wonky physics. =P

Backlog is a problem for me, or I'd be more hyped. =P /still not even halfway through Xenoblade

I don't really want to play XBC. Not abig JRPG fan.

your tastes are trash and you should feel like trash

/joke

I mean, the genre really isn't for everyone - the games tend to be long, and slower paced than many western games in general. XBC is still an amazing game though. More...western-styled combat, I guess? It's still very JRPG, but it's not turn-based, and it's done very much in real time and stuff. difficult to explain.

eh.

---

On the subject of Fallout 4, I have not extensively played a fallout game myself, and there's no way my potato of a laptop can run it...and I'm not buying a PS4/Xbone to play it. yet i'm going to get a Wii U just for xenoblade x. eh, it's cheaper, and there's not only one game i'm interested in for it anyways. But yeah. Not going to get FO4, only because I have no way to play it, sadly.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Yeah, I've never had that happen to me, and I've bought 3 or 4 360s and a DS Lite from Walmart.

Also, wow. That was a short hype train for Fallout 4. You'd think such an anticipated game would receive more fanfare. Anyone got themselves a Fallout 4 Hype Train photo?

The thread is really weeb, and I'm saying this as a weeb. I don't think there's ever been much discussion on WRPGs in general outside of a few mentions here and there, and the occasional discussion of Skyrim.

Personally, I'm waiting for more details on the game at E3 before getting hype. Bethesda is pretty hit and miss in my book. Their best games lately tend to be the ones where they license out the IP to another developer to handle. I'll probably snag the GotY edition later on, at least.

Edited by Hodor

hElbrZ6.gif

Lost World 3DS was cool. U not so much because it had wonky physics. =P

Backlog is a problem for me, or I'd be more hyped. =P /still not even halfway through Xenoblade

I don't really want to play XBC. Not abig JRPG fan.

your tastes are trash and you should feel like trash

/joke

I mean, the genre really isn't for everyone - the games tend to be long, and slower paced than many western games in general. XBC is still an amazing game though. More...western-styled combat, I guess? It's still very JRPG, but it's not turn-based, and it's done very much in real time and stuff. difficult to explain.

eh.

---

On the subject of Fallout 4, I have not extensively played a fallout game myself, and there's no way my potato of a laptop can run it...and I'm not buying a PS4/Xbone to play it. yet i'm going to get a Wii U just for xenoblade x. eh, it's cheaper, and there's not only one game i'm interested in for it anyways. But yeah. Not going to get FO4, only because I have no way to play it, sadly.

IN terms of JRPGs, I've played a couple of Final Fantasy games (I think mostly on the SNES,) two Pokemon games, and a couple random ones here and there. The big problems I have are mostly immersion and customization... With every single JRPG, my characters have been made for me, my dialogue has either been chosen for me or a bad case of "But Thou Must," the combat (even when they try to make it more "real-time" just doesn't appeal.... I just don't like the genre on principal. Give me Fallout: NV or Skyrim, and I'm a happy camper. Give me Final Fantasy VII, and I just fall asleep.

Also, I'm probably not just going to get a PS4 for FO4, mainly cause Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a priority target on my radar. Speaking of which,

Fallout-Hype-Train.jpg

CCNQQvXUIAEeXz7.jpg

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I feel pretty much the opposite, I like JRPGS because they generally have a full cast of premade characters (and I find that this also still applies to quite a few unnamed "hero" characters, i.e. Persona 3/4 and Fire Emblem Awakening), and I feel like that really helps the story of the game.

I do completely get not liking JRPG combat, I'm a huge JRPG fan and there are plenty of JRPGS I've hated because of the combat (Pokemon, FF13-3, FF Tactics, Lunar DS... The list goes on). I am a fan of when they get traditional turn-based combat right or even improve on it, though, adds some fun strategy.

/end why i like jrpgs rant

Anyways, while we're on the topic of RPGs, I've gotten the feeling that I'm just looking in the wrong place for something I'd like in a WRPG... Something very story-driven, less focused on building your own character... Although I'm feeling I'm just more or less describing standard non-RPGs from what I've played.

Also, anyone play Bravely Default? I'm wondering if I'd like it, I stayed away due to hearing things about about it being the spiritual successor Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light (which I didn't really like at all), however all the hype around the second one has me slightly interested.

So I pre-ordered Arkham City for 30$. I was going to get it from Gamestop and get that Red Hood gameplay, but didn't wanna wait a few days for it to come in the mail.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I feel pretty much the opposite, I like JRPGS because they generally have a full cast of premade characters (and I find that this also still applies to quite a few unnamed "hero" characters, i.e. Persona 3/4 and Fire Emblem Awakening), and I feel like that really helps the story of the game.

Really? I've always hated having a character whose choices I can't influence. With JRPGs, I always feel that I'm being forced down a set path, but with WRPGs, I can influence the story beyond a simple "who do I want in my party" choice.

*cough*BethSoft titles*cough*

I do think that if you haven't played a WRPG before, then Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim and Morrowind are your best bets. Skyrim is easy to get into and good for first-timers, Morrowind is complex and shows off the more complicated nature of the genre without being too complex, and New Vegas a great mix of both. Sadly, both Morrowind and New Vegas got the short end of the stick when it came to graphics, so for someone coming from Skyrim to the older BethSoft titles, it's a little jarring to have everything except one person freeze and zoom in on the dolls that pass for people in the Mojave Wasteland, or pause everything and have text-based dialogue on Vvardenfell.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Really? I've always hated having a character whose choices I can't influence. With JRPGs, I always feel that I'm being forced down a set path, but with WRPGs, I can influence the story beyond a simple "who do I want in my party" choice.

*cough*BethSoft titles*cough*

I do think that if you haven't played a WRPG before, then Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim and Morrowind are your best bets. Skyrim is easy to get into and good for first-timers, Morrowind is complex and shows off the more complicated nature of the genre without being too complex, and New Vegas a great mix of both. Sadly, both Morrowind and New Vegas got the short end of the stick when it came to graphics, so for someone coming from Skyrim to the older BethSoft titles, it's a little jarring to have everything except one person freeze and zoom in on the dolls that pass for people in the Mojave Wasteland, or pause everything and have text-based dialogue on Vvardenfell.

I never really understood why people compare JRPGs and WRPGs. Like, yeah, they're both rooted in Wizardry and Ultima, but they're ultimately vastly different genres with completely different design philosophies and approaches to storytelling. I couldn't see Xenogears being made from a Western studio, but I also couldn't see Planescape: Torment being made by a Japanese one.

It's like comparing apples to oranges- yeah, the shape is sort of the same, but that's about it. It's a matter of taste, to be perfectly honest.

I honestly think TES is actually a really bad way of introducing WRPGs, since the series gameplay is usually fairly weak and clunky. They age like milk, even compared to JRPGs. They're a great example of how to make an immersive game, especially the lore in Morrowind, though. I guess you could jump in with Skyrim, but honestly Skyrim's a fairly unremarkable and generic game in my opinion. Something you play to goof around with mods in, or essentially play as a hiking simulator.

If I had to pick games that'd sell WRPGs to a JRPG fan, it'd probably be FROM's Soul series and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Those games get a nice mix of both Western and Japanese design philosophy, and the minimalistic, atmospheric storytelling of Souls is a pretty good way of showcasing how enveloping a good game could be. DD:DA is more or less 'what-if we took Final Fantasy back when it was good and TES and threw them in a blender? C:'.

• Upvote 2

hElbrZ6.gif

I have Skyrim on my PC, mainly as my kinda fun modbox (because I got it on Steam for something like $3 once, and my PC could barely handle enough for me to take the game seriously). That position has since been taken over by Goat Simulator now.

The Souls games are up there on my to-buy list, I've played some with friends and it's quite fun (especially passing around the controller every time you die).

I've seen bits and pieces of Dragon's Dogma around, might look some more into it.

Also, fun fact, those games are technically JRPGs, despite being much closer in form to WRPGs.

Anyways, do western companies really make games with a 60+ hour story anymore? Main reason I'm wondering is that I'd like to play some good western games and not burn through them in a week or two and then toss them aside. Because I totally do that, and the length of JRPGs is one of the reasons I like them so much.

Again, you can play games like Skyrim and New Vegas for hundreds of hours, though the main story might take you anywhere from 20+ to 100+, but that all depends. With New Vegas, you can't play after the main story is finished, though, so I always save it for the end. I think my longest playthrough clocked in at 300+ hours.

I'm also not a big fan of the Souls games. If you watch Game Theory's Deadlock, namely the Souls episode, you'll understand. Jirard in that episode is really just parroting my opinion.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Again, you can play games like Skyrim and New Vegas for hundreds of hours, though the main story might take you anywhere from 20+ to 100+, but that all depends. With New Vegas, you can't play after the main story is finished, though, so I always save it for the end. I think my longest playthrough clocked in at 300+ hours.

I'm also not a big fan of the Souls games. If you watch Game Theory's Deadlock, namely the Souls episode, you'll understand. Jirard in that episode is really just parroting my opinion.

That episode is full of ###### if you've ever actually played Dark Souls, even for the standards of Game Theory. It's increasingly obvious that the guy has barely played the game and doesn't know what he's talking about.

"IT'S UNFAIR"

The game routinely shows you what to do and often times lets you have enough time to figure out enemy attack patterns. It rewards you for not going in, guns blazing, and expecting to win. This isn't being 'unfair', this is actually thinking the player can think.

"IT DOESN'T TELL YOU WHERE TO GO"

It's a Metroidvania game. This is literally the point of the genre. It's basically one big maze, and one that can put on the hurt. In the Metroid games, stumbling around near the beginning area could lead to you facing end-game enemies without the right equipment. Stop expecting games to hold your hand- you're only contributing to the further dumbing down of the medium. This also ignores one of the key concepts of the Souls series- the hint system that's part of multiplayer.

"THE MOST ESSENTIAL ITEM OF THE GAME IS ALSO THE MOST ABSURDLY HIDDEN."

The Rusted Iron Ring isn't at all required- it just makes moving around in water less of a nightmare, and you very rarely do that. The only thing I could conceivably see it as being 'essential' for is Blighttown and finding Dusk of Oolacile so you could access the DLC, which from the sound of things the guy would hate for being actively harder than the rest of the game. If I HAD to chose an item that was genuinely essential to complete the game, but was out of the way, it'd be the Covenant of Artorias. That's an item you legitimately need for completion (letting you fight one of the end-game bosses), but was out of the way.

"YOU NEED IT FOR HUGE CHUNKS OF THE GAME!"

No, you don't. The only times you 'need' it is for Blighttown, fighting the two Hydras in the game, and finding Dusk of Oolacile (and thus accessing the DLC later on). These are all also completely doable without them- just a bit harder than normal. This is like complaining about the abstract, insane method of keeping Solaire in the whole game. It's -not a required item, it's an unlockable that helps you out a bit and rewards you for experimenting but is not required for the game.

"IT'S SLOPPY. HERE'S AN EXAMPLE OF A MISTRANSLATED RING."

The Souls series is notorious for a pretty odd translation, since IIRC it was effectively translated to English originally for the voice actor's lines. I'm assuming the majority of the problems with the game are from an in-studio translation by someone who isn't fully proficient in English. If you were going to complain about the game being sloppy, complain about how the dungeons for Seath the Scaleless and the Bed of Chaos both feel unpolished and rushed.

The Humanities system is pretty odd before you figure it out, so I do agree that it could've polished it a bit better.

"EGORAPTOR'S SEQUELITI-"

Not even going to bother. If you're using Egoraptor as a source, a man who is genuinely incompetent in games, your argument is probably holding on weak grounds. Egoraptor's Sequelitis video on OoT is basically 'I HATE IT BECAUSE IT'S DIFFERENT FROM LINK TO THE PAST AND I ACTIVELY IGNORE THE GAME TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO'. This also ignores that the reason Dark Souls' combat is good is because everything in the game is built around the combat system. It's not perfect, but it is good.

I also like how they completely ignore the game's  method of telling it's story. I also like how they didn't even mention the covenant system. Or the parry system. These are all things that're absolutely vital to the enjoyment of the game- but this video completely ignores them in favor of arguments that amount to 'I DON'T LIKE DARK SOULS BECAUSE IT'S HAAAAAAARD'.

I'll be editing this post to finish my counter points- accidentally sent this early.

EDIT: Whoa, didn't mean for the 'dumbing down the medium' comment to come off as that harsh- really poorly worded on my part, and I really do apologize. Sorry about that.

Edited by Hodor
  • Upvote 1

hElbrZ6.gif

@Hodor

Actually, he did play the game. Episode 68, the Beardman's Plight. To my knowledge, he completed it. 100% completed.

Firstly, just because "it's mistranslated" doesn't mean it has an excuse for outright lying to the player. If an item says "regenerates health," I'll assume it "regenerates health." If it doesn't regenerate health and I've wasted my one gift, then I'll be pretty grumpy.

Secondly, just because something is doable without an item doesn't make it fun without an item. Rule of Fun is in full effect here, and if something's not fun, I don't want to be playing it.

Thirdly, just because a game is a Metroidvania doesn't give it an excuse for not telling you where to go. The greatest Metroidvania game, IMHO, was Super Metroid, and (shock of all shocks) it told you where to go. In 1994. This is not rocket science, people. It's just standard game design.

Fourthly, just because something has multiplayer doesn't mean everyone gets to use multiplayer. Case and point, I'm playing DS on a 360. I do not currently have XBL Gold, but even if I did, my Xbox's internet is pretty much...

reason-for-slow-internet-300x227.jpg

Yeah... My Xbox doesn't like the internet, meaning multiplayer in any form is a no-go. The game was meant to be completed with multiplayer on, yet I can't use the multiplayer function, meaning I've lost a very key component of gameplay. It's like playing Journey singleplayer. It's not good.

EDIT: Also, I like Game Theory. They've made mistakes (10ft tall Wario, tsk tsk) but they're still fairly reliable.

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I'm gunna be that one guy who interrupts a conversation about JRPGS and Fallout 4 and stuff to ask if anyone here plays Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. I only have one other friend who has it, and I doubt just the two of us can get through all the gathering hall quests. If you're wondering how far I am, I just beat the Seregios and unlocked 9 star caravan quests.

Also, Hodor, Egoraptor is actually somewhat decent at Bloodborne. He's current doing a playthrough on GameGrumps. Let me tell you, I expected him to die left and right, but he's actually dying less than other Youtubers I've seen playing it.

Edited by Arzaki

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Is it bad if my favorite JRPG is Paper Mario? (specifically Thousand Year Door)

No, it's quite the good JRPG. It'd probably make my top 10, or at least 15 JRPGS. I should make a list sometime.

I'd be worried if you had said Sticker Star the one we never mention, because that game was both terrible and had pretty much all RPG elements removed from it.

Yeah... My Xbox doesn't like the internet, meaning multiplayer in any form is a no-go. The game was meant to be completed with multiplayer on, yet I can't use the multiplayer function, meaning I've lost a very key component of gameplay. It's like playing Journey singleplayer. It's not good.

I quite enjoyed Dark Souls without multiplayer. I couldn't experience all that the game had to offer, of course, but I wouldn't say that makes the game "not good."

As for the WRPG and JRPG discussion... I've found I'm more inclined to like WRPGs than JRPGs (though to be fair, I've played far more of the former than I have of the latter). Of the five JRPGs I've seriously played (Final Fantasy XIII, FFXIII-2, Lost Odyssey, Dragon Quest IX, and Septerra Core), I liked three of them (the first three, for those curious). I've played several others, but I had the same problem with them as I had with Dragon Quest IX and Septerra Core; they are incredibly repetitive and require a lot of grinding (which may be due to my being horrible at them, but whatever). I don't mind having pre-made characters and no decisions, but at the very least, I want something interesting to happen to those characters.

And... I feel like I was going to say more, but I don't know what it was. Maybe it will come back to me later.

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

I quite enjoyed Dark Souls without multiplayer. I couldn't experience all that the game had to offer, of course, but I wouldn't say that makes the game "not good."

No, the lack of multiplayer itself doesn't make it "worst game ever," but when you have a game built around a combat system that I simply don't like, coupled with extreme difficulty, a lack of interesting things, constant hairpulling frustration, a confusing maze game and an inventory screen that lies...

Bleh.

Also, I saw Hodor edited his post to include Egoraptor's hating on OoT because "IT'S NOT LttP!" Hodor's argument is strawmanning Egoraptor's because he had a genuine reason for hating on OoT; he saw it to be dull and repetitive and LttP did combat so much better (which, IMHO, it did.)

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

i am genuinely furious at the levels of disrespect you have all shown. fallout 4 is the single biggest announcement in video games since the new consoles were announced and most of you have brushed it off like it's nothing. you all consider video games art, then you treat it like this? hypocrites. pathetic, honestly. i criticize the medium but i at least respect it, which is more than i can say for the lot of you.

now, picture a guy reading that deadpan serious, but i'm joking. you don't have to care about fallout. i'm just very passionate about it. new vegas is my favourite game of all time and i've put more time into that game than i put into most productive things. (still isn't art, though)

The Souls games are up there on my to-buy list, I've played some with friends and it's quite fun (especially passing around the controller every time you die).

i don't know why people can't just play the game without turning it into some epic joke about how hard it is.

multiplayer in dark souls is just pvp. there's no like, alternate game modes or anything. i'd argue that playing it without multiplayer is actually a better experience for the sole fact that you don't have to constantly worry about getting invaded.

i agree that WRPGs don't put much emphasis on characters or plot but what they do put emphasis on is, in my opinion the better investment, the setting. WRPGs do a better job of giving you a world to interact with. i think that this is to the benefit of the game, since RPGs don't typically have stellar gameplay and that and immersion are the things that video games do best.

edit:

No, the lack of multiplayer itself doesn't make it "worst game ever," but when you have a game built around a combat system that I simply don't like, coupled with extreme difficulty, a lack of interesting things, constant hairpulling frustration, a confusing maze game and an inventory screen that lies...

i'm gonna guess and say you don't like the combat because you aren't used to it, it's difficult because you aren't used to the combat, and you're frustrated because you aren't used to the combat. that's the same thing three times. a lack of interesting things is blatantly untrue because it has one of the coolest lores in recent memory as well as a really cool storytelling system AND a very creative art design. i personally like that there's a lot of exploring you can do, but different strokes i guess. the menu systems are user friendly either, i'll admit.

Edited by Archer Vonn