RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

IC [Dorian]

"Sorry, I zoned out there for a while." Dorian woke up from his prone state on the table. "What happened?"

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC [Dorian]

"Oh, that's nice." Dorian blinked, watching the cards falling, and then began to pick them up, sorting them as he did. "I suggest one of those fancy restaurants on the Brasilia. I overheard someone thinking about how great their calamari is."

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC: "Not so much help with PTSD as much as help ease symptoms during episodes." Ovechkin replied. "Some psychologists believed there are combinations to help the overall condition, however their research was not finished before the Mantis invasion. Rather, they help an individual relax and clear their mind of haunting spectres that cause anguish between episodes. The medical department's lack of a psychologist to help with issues of this nature was disappointing."

baltimore_ravens.png

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"What our esteemed botanist is trying to say," the door hissed open to let the Colonel through, "is that he has various plants when you can smoke to take the edge off of things. Some aren't really up to regulations though, so please avoid using them when you're on-duty." She turned to the Rock. "Mr. Overchkin, good to see you're back on your feet. Feeling alright?"

voidstars.png

OOC: Smoking drugs in space? Did we figure out a way around the health issues of smoking in general (as opposed to it just becomming obselete) and the problems it presents ina pressurized environment?

IC: "Understood, Colonel," Nicole replied. As the conversation shifted towards the rockman, she turned toward one of the shelves of plants.

OOC

Nah, can't stop lung cancer from forming but the nanites can remove it, might need replacement lungs at some point though. As for the problems with smoking yeah in the space shuttle I wouldn't advise it but on the Kestrel we have a much more nitrogen-rich atmosphere, i.e. not 100% O2 so the problems of things just randomly exploding is not quite so bad. Wouldn't suggest doing it next to the reactor coil though.

voidstars.png

IC: "Not all of them require smoke inhalation. The colonel is correct though that, for various reasons, consumption is advised only for downtime." At that, Ovechkin turned to face the colonel. "I feel quite well, colonel. Given recent events though, I should ask you the same?"

baltimore_ravens.png

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Old leg got a bit stiff, got me a new one, thought I don't think it did much to help with the stiffness issue." The Colonel raised an eyebrow at Nicole. "Well, I suppose anytime is good. Mr. Overchkin, I know you keep a stash of incense, I hear that tends to... clear minds, might be good to have for some psionic therapy. If Landes isn't doing anything important, we'll get started in the spare break room." She tapped her comm, turning it on. "Landes, Walker, report to the secondary break room. I'd say wear something nice but it might get blood on it so best not to."

voidstars.png

IC: Ashley

"Well we could wear the dresses we bought yesterday! That should be fancy eno-" It was about then that the Colonel called through the comms.

"Well, it looks like I have to go." Ashley gave Rehn a quick kiss on the cheek. "Will go on our date when I'm finished with whatever the Colonel needs me for!"

With that Ashley left the mess hall and headed toward the secondary break room, wondering what she was needed in there for.

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC: Nicole cautiously stepped out of the botany lab and into the adjacent corridor. She climbed a ladder into the upper deck, and began to make her way toward the front of the ship. As she approached the break room she stepped inside cautiously, looking around. Nobody was there yet.

She was still not comfortable with the idea of having a man in her head, but at this point there was no harm in trying. She did not exactly have much to lose, her brain was already messed up anyway if it was destroyed it would mean people would not have to worry about her trouble anymore. Besides, the crew were right. Was blaming herself really the best way to honor Irina's memory?

As she sat down in the corner in a cushioned chair, she ran through the memories in her head: Irina's final words before being anesthetized, Nicole's desperate struggle to contain the bleeding, Irina's final breath and her desperate attempt to revive the one she loved. All this time she blamed herself for failing to save her, but what could she have done? She did everything right, but Irina had been severely wounded. Was there any chance she could be saved, even if she'd been treated sooner? So many questions.

She began to curl up in her chair, pulling up her legs into a fetal position. She reached into her collar and pulled out the locket, looking at Irina's photograph. Still covered in dirt and disheveled from her work in botany, she slowly rested her head, beginning to doze off, the locket falling out of her hand and dangling over her side.

She was back on the beach, just standing, staring out at the waves. Her hair blew gently in the cool breeze. It was so calm, so tranquil. There was no sign of any of the dangers of the world she knew.

Nicole turned to see the familiar face of Irina, the young soldier's raven hair blowing behind her. Nicole reached her hand out, and Irina took it. "I love you," Irina said. They began to move towards each other, embracing one another and finally ending in a passionate kiss. Their grip only tightened. It was a wonderful moment, before Irina released her grip, taking a few steps from Nicole. She stretched out her hand, and Nicole took it. With a smile, Irina began to lead her lover along the beach. "Come on, sweetey," she said with a soft, caring tone in her voice.

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

In an example of the Colonel's remarkable speed-walking abilities, Ashley found the woman coming up next to her just as she passed the stairs. "Alright spaceman, I'm going need your psionic abilities for a bit. Doctor Sarany has consented to the use of your talents to help her with her more... maniac episodes. Of course, your consent in this affair is required as well; if you feel it unsafe for yourself or the doctor, I will listen."

voidstars.png

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Something like that, yes. I read up on the material relating to it last night; it's not too complex a process, though we haven't been able to use slugs very well to achieve it." The Colonel handled Ashley a tablet, information on the screen. "Best I understand it you sort of... lock the offending memories, detach them and make them more distant. Not a perfect solution, but it's been shown to help in getting past traumatic events."

voidstars.png

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Slightly less trouble than I expected." The two entered the break room, finding Nicole waiting there. "I'll leave you two to it; incense should be here in just a moment. I'll be outside if something goes wrong."

I wonder. Dorian wasn't out and about at the moment. I did read some about that form of therapy... don't think we dabbled in it much. It should be straight forward, though. You get in there, some sort of visualization will show up, you lock the memories away and out you go. Don't know how much I'll be able to influence, though; getting three consciousnesses in the same head may be... problematic. I'll be back here, running mission control, while you're poking around. Someone's gotta watch the body while you're out.

voidstars.png

Awesome, just try not to break it while I'm gone. Ashley thought to Dorian as the Colonel left. Leaving Ashley with just Nicole for a moment. She smiled at her sheepishly.

"Well, I guess I'm gonna be inside your head."

Edited by Princess Anna of Arendelle

IC: As they walked along the beach, Irina pulled Nicole to the ground, on top of her. Within moments the two women embraced as the waves washed over them. Their grip on each other tightened, their lips pressed firmly together.

Nicole slowly opened her eyes as she stared toward Ashley, surprised to see the cat girl sitting in front of her. The idea of her being in Nicole's head was something she also wasn't overtly fond of, if only because of the possibility that Ashley would learn how she felt about her genetic modifications.

"I guess we're ready then?" Nicole asked sleepily. A moment later she noticed the locket dangling at her side and picked it up.

IC: Nicole closed her eyes and relaxed her head. "Happy thoughts," she muttered. "Happy thoughts..."

She was back on the beach. The waves coming in and soaking her feet. She looked out, seeing Irina stepping out of the water. Nicole waded a few steps in before wrapping her arms around her friend. The two began to kiss passionately, falling into the water as they did.

IC [Dorian]

Ok so focus on Nicole. Focus, stare intently, try not to accidentally start fires. Uhm, yeah, just keep on focusing, that's good. Any moment now. It was a bit awkward, just sitting there, though soon enough Ashley felt a sense of vertigo as her vision blurred. When it corrected itself she seemed to be in an abyss, various bits of light around her. Hey, Ashley! Can you hear me? Ok, you can, great. So, yeah, you're in the doctor's head. I don't have a map of it so you're going have to do some poking around, try to isolate the right things. Here, lemme try and... The world shifted into a vast collection of filing cabinets. Hey, that worked! Ok, so just keep focused on the task at hand and don't let your mind drift, that could be bad. Hopefully Nicole isn't distracted. That would also be bad. Dorian kept talking, but his voice grew more distant and echo-y, moving further and further away, even as the world Ashley saw started to shift again, halfway between filing cabinet office and beach, the two realities competing for dominance.

It'd seem Ashley was on her own at this point.

voidstars.png

IC: "Come on, sweety," Irina muttered ever so softly as she took Nicole's hand, leading the young doctor out of the water and onto the beach. The two of them walked toward the edge of the beach. There was a forest there, and they began to walk through a narrow path, hands held tightly.

Ashley kept digging through the files, not finding anything particularly unpleasant or disturbing in that cabinet, she moved on to the next. There was one particular cabinet labeled Gaia, Ashley decided to start looking in there. As she read through them her ears flattened rather quickly, the memories were difficult to look at. A trash burner appeared next to her, she started to dump files into it.

IC [A voice]

While Dorian's presence could not be felt, there was still a bit of Ashley that sprung up when she started incinerating the memories. Something along the lines of "are you sure this is a good idea?"

voidstars.png

Ashley hesitated, in her mind deleting the memories seemed like the best course of action...why would anyone want to remember the horror and tragedy? However thinking it over, that might cause more damage then fix.

Ashley instead tried to open the memories up into Nicole's consciousness, maybe she could suppress individual parts of the memories that were causing her all the mental agony.

IC: Nicole collapsed onto the narrow path. Irina bent down and looked her nervously. "Is everything okay," she asked. Nicole looked up towards her lover. "I'm not sure," she replied.

That was when it started to occur to her. She turned toward the young woman standing in front of her. "You're not real," Nicole muttered. "You're dead. I saw you die."

Irina sighed. "I am," she explained.

"What?"

"Dead," Irina replied, wrapping her arms around Nicole's shoulder. "You watched me die. My final words were a confession of love before you gave me the anesthetics, but your memory of me is not."

Nicole began to think back to Gaia, and that was when she began to realize something else. Her mind was drawing blanks. She was trying to remember what happened to Private Nysra, but nothing came. Sgt. Henrik, and the others who were there. She still remembered Talvert dragging his deceased friend toward the hospital but there was no memory of what came afterward. It almost seemed as though someone was systematically removing her memories of Gaia.

Then, as though some unseen individual was manipulating her mind, the cot appeared, with another Irina lying on top, an orderly stood, in the middle of the forest, covering her body with a sheet.

Edited by Atton Rand

IC [The world]

And so opened Pandora's Box.

The world erupted into fragments for both parties, reforming itself to some point during Nicole's experiences in Gaia. Dropships were taking off, evacuations away from the Hive Ships underway. Mantis were swarming, though, and Ashley found herself in the middle of that battleground. She was an external influence, though, her will and powers far too significant to be in much danger from Nicole's mind trashing about. The real danger was getting snared, unable to terminate the memory and tie it up. That, or Nicole's manifestation, who was somewhere out there, could do real harm to her, that concentration enough to cut through into Ashley's presence. Problem being, of course, that in order to tidy this all up, Ashley probably did need to get close to Nicole. Who knew what Nicole's consciousness would perceive a mental invader... well, Ashley knew.

voidstars.png

Ashley took in her new surroundings, getting her bearings as she realised she was on Gaia...or Nicole's memory of it rather. So far everything seemed to be going well, the next step however, was finding Nicole herself. It didn't take long before Ashley sensed her manifestation nearby and began to move towards it.

IC: The change was so sudden she could not begin to prepare herself. One moment she was in a romantic path with Irina, and now she was back here, on Gaia. It was all so vivid, the explosions, the cries of agony among the wounded as the orderlies scrambled to get them into the hospital. That was when she saw Private Talvert stumble out from a cluster of trees, dragging his comrade behind him. "HELP!" The young private cried out. Nicole simply turned and fled, Talvert's agonized cries echoing in her ears.

She ran into the hospital, wandering around, Dr. Millbridge stood at the door. "Nicole," he shouted. "The casualties are piling up." She ignored him, charging down the hall. The sounds of explosions and gunshots rang out everywhere, all Nicole could do was run towards her room. She remembered this place very well. She ran into the staff quarters and found her old room, running in and closing the door behind her.

At that moment, everything went quiet. For the time being, it was safe, but she dreaded what might come soon. She was trapped in this room, and all she could do was curl up on the bed as she began to cry uncontrollably.