OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Oh, yes. Because they are going to ave their main hero and the face of the series get mind controlled so early. They had a chance to make Tahu hot stuff and they didn't do it. 

Why would they make him "hot stuff" when that would completely ruin the point of the scene?

The whole video was pointless. We were told the Protectors fought back, only for Tahu to steal the spotlight and do what we've seen him do since Bionicle launched: Grab his golden mask. It added nothing to the overall story arc and simply rehashed what we already knew. 

I get it. They have to get the masks. But not only did it show them claiming the masks in their character videos, it also showed that they could fight the skull spiders without the use of fancy attacks or moves. (For the most part.)

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Funny. Didn't look like he grabbed the golden mask to me.

No, in fact, it almost looks like they infuriatingly paused it right before he grabbed it so we don't see if he does grab it.

Even then, we all know he was there to take it. He did that already, remember?

MASTA OF FIYAAA!!!!! 

We've already seen remarkably different events in this episode compared to what was in the character videos. What makes you think we're in for exactly what was shown there?

And he didn't do that already. Stop acting like the character videos count as already having happened in the overall story arc. When you watch a trailer for a movie, do you complain when you then go see the movie that the events in the trailer repeated themselves?

• Upvote 4

No, in fact, it almost looks like they infuriatingly paused it right before he grabbed it so we don't see if he does grab it.

Even then, we all know he was there to take it. He did that already, remember?

MASTA OF FIYAAA!!!!! 

We've already seen remarkably different events in this episode compared to what was in the character videos. What makes you think we're in for exactly what was shown there?

And he didn't do that already. Stop acting like the character videos count as already having happened in the overall story arc. When you watch a trailer for a movie, do you complain when you then go see the movie that the events in the trailer repeated themselves?

No, because whatever is in the trailer STAYS THAT WAY. If they show Luke Skywalker fighting Darth Vader, it's gonna happen EXACTLY like they showed it. Luke's gonna get his hand chopped off exactly like he did in the trailer. Tahu is still going to get his mask, and he is still going to jump from the same ledge and surf the same wave of lava. 

I'VE SEEN IT BEFORE. 

Lara Croft

First of all, if you saw a trailer where Luke got his hand chopped off, wow that was a terrible spoiler-filled trailer.

Second, you said "no" and then pretty much said "yeah I hate it when something in a trailer matches what happens in the movie"

You must've watched a completely different trailer, because I saw the exact same thing that Tahu's video had. It was boring, and I didn't like it. In fact, the only thing missing was his fire spin and the LOSS screeching. 

Lara Croft

First of all, if you saw a trailer where Luke got his hand chopped off, wow that was a terrible spoiler-filled trailer.

Second, you said "no" and then pretty much said "yeah I hate it when something in a trailer matches what happens in the movie"

You must've watched a completely different trailer, because I saw the exact same thing that Tahu's video had. It was boring, and I didn't like it. In fact, the only thing missing was his fire spin and the LOSS screeching. 

You didn't see the exact same thing. I can state that as a solid point of fact. The character video didn't have the Protector of Fire being attacked by Skull Spiders, thus giving Tahu pressure to claim the mask and it didn't have his initial shakiness because he still isn't sure on how to be a hero (which is, coincidentally, also why he ran before, as you criticized). Those seem small, but they definitely change the situation. Tahu's character video was basically a commercial for the toy; it include's the toy's conflict (going after the Golden Mask while being attacked by Skull Spiders) and advertised the villain set, while showing off Tahu as impressively as possible (hence his adept fighting there opposed to his unsure footing here). I wouldn't be surprised if we're going in a different direction than the character video.

Of course, even if we weren't, it would be downright factually wrong and, frankly, stupid to say the events of the character video "already happened".

Edited by Wally
  • Upvote 3

You didn't see the exact same thing. I can state that as a solid point of fact. The character video didn't have the Protector of Fire being attacked by Skull Spiders, thus giving Tahu pressure to claim the mask and it didn't have his initial shakiness because he still isn't sure on how to be a hero (which is, coincidentally, also why he ran before, as you criticized). Those seem small, but they definitely change the situation. Tahu's character video was basically a commercial for the toy; it include's the toy's conflict (going after the Golden Mask while being attacked by Skull Spiders) and advertised the villain set, while showing off Tahu as impressively as possible (hence his adept fighting there opposed to his unsure footing here). I wouldn't be surprised if we're going in a different direction than the character video.

Of course, even if we weren't, it would be downright factually wrong and, frankly, stupid to say the events of the character video "already happened".

The only thing stupid here is your argument. Unless LEGO or whoever says the events in the video never happened then to me they did unless LEGO proves me wrong. I am not going to wait for Gali to grab her mask because SHE ALREADY GOT IT. 

She tore through the ocean faster than Jaws and grabbed that Mask all while pwning n00bs and using her trident to fight the LOSS. 

If they show her doing it AGAIN then I'm done. 

Lara Croft

POWAAAAAAAAH

Wow, the voice-acting is simultaneously horrible and amazing. 

I kinda like Tahu's lack of experience and confidence. The animation art style is great, but it looks pretty awful when not properly animated (like the skull spiders slowly gliding along the background). Overall, I still enjoyed this episode more than the last one because at least things actually happened in it.

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 1

It's almost like we're only two weeks into the official release and these animations are only a minute and a half long and have only just begun to come out. They're meant to be watched together and work as a standalone series; a year from now new kiddies can sit down and watch everything unfold without having "already seen it several times" in commercials and promos that no longer air.

Be patient and try to avoid feeling entitled to a certain level of quality or haste from a toyline aimed at the 7-14 demographic that is, for all intents and purposes, brand new and just starting to develop-- especially since these animations and commercials are planned, created, and released by folks whose job it is to know what they're doing. It comes across as incredibly obnoxious to start threatening abandonment of the reboot and calling others' attempts to explain themselves stupid and generally get so worked up over this.

Have faith, and remember that there are several different mediums through which the story and promotional content is spread and that none of it is aimed directly at adults or with the intention of telling the whole story while the starting gun is still smoking.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 6

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

It's almost like we're only two weeks into the official release and these animations are only a minute and a half long and have only just begun to come out. They're meant to be watched together, a year from now new kiddies can sit down and watch everything unfold for the first time without having "already seen it several times" in commercials and promos that no longer air. 

Be patient and try to avoid feeling entitled to a certain level of quality or haste from a toyline aimed at the 7-14 demographic that is, for all intents and purposes, brand new and just starting to develop-- especially since these animations and commercials are planned, created, and released by folks whose job it is to know what they're doing.

7 and 14 year olds (for the most part anyway) are smart enough to know that when they see Tahu kicking butt in one video and then running away in another that something has been lost in translation.

If they wanted to portray Tahu as vulnerable they shouldn't have made him look all cool in an advertisement they show and turn around to make him wimpy in their 'story' videos. 

Which, if you think about it, is all one big ad. So that ad/story segregation theory goes out the window.

Lara Croft

It's almost like we're only two weeks into the official release and these animations are only a minute and a half long and have only just begun to come out. They're meant to be watched together, a year from now new kiddies can sit down and watch everything unfold for the first time without having "already seen it several times" in commercials and promos that no longer air. 

Be patient and try to avoid feeling entitled to a certain level of quality or haste from a toyline aimed at the 7-14 demographic that is, for all intents and purposes, brand new and just starting to develop-- especially since these animations and commercials are planned, created, and released by folks whose job it is to know what they're doing.

7 and 14 year olds (for the most part anyway) are smart enough to know that when they see Tahu kicking butt in one video and then running away in another that something has been lost in translation.

If they wanted to portray Tahu as vulnerable they shouldn't have made him look all cool in an advertisement they show and turn around to make him wimpy in their 'story' videos. 

Which, if you think about it, is all one big ad. So that ad/story segregation theory goes out the window.

They didn't make him wimpy, they made him realistic for someone who doesn't yet feel they're ready for being a hero. He's not going to be Splint Chesthair right out of the sky. He's got to have time to develop into a true hero, or at least realize he is one.

Also there is a difference between making an ad for Transformers toys and a Transformers TV show, even though both are ostensibly "ads". If you show Optimus getting his rear handed to him in a commercial, nobody's going to want to buy Optimus, because in commercial-talk, that means weakness. However, clearly this doesn't apply to TV shows, as Optimus has not only been defeated multiple times, he has died multiple times. Even in a toy-based story, characters can be far more realistic than Blast Hardcheese.

• Upvote 8

Kids are also smart enough to know the difference between the preview and the movie.

If you truly believe this then the Toa have absolutely found the Mask of Creation already and the summer story has begun.

• Upvote 6

OpAXNpl.jpg

They didn't make him wimpy, they made him realistic for someone who doesn't yet feel they're ready for being a hero. He's not going to be Splint Chesthair right out of the sky. He's got to have time to develop into a true hero, or at least realize he is one.

Also there is a difference between making an ad for Transformers toys and a Transformers TV show, even though both are ostensibly "ads". If you show Optimus getting his rear handed to him in a commercial, nobody's going to want to buy Optimus, because in commercial-talk, that means weakness. However, clearly this doesn't apply to TV shows, as Optimus has not only been defeated multiple times, he has died multiple times. Even in a toy-based story, characters can be far more realistic than Blast Hardcheese.

Oh, yes. Because when I see a hulking six foot tall cyborg surfing on lava I think realism. Tahu's character vid was realistic. That what I expect from ALL the Toa, especially the leader. Tahu used what knowledge he had to fight and get his mask. He even had the keystones to ballerina spin into the LOSS.

That's the Tahu I know and love. Not some wimp that carries his stronger swords around deactivated and doesn't know how to be a hero even when he clearly does. 

Kids are also smart enough to know the difference between the preview and the movie.

If you truly believe this then the Toa have absolutely found the Mask of Creation already and the summer story has begun.

Yep. I'm that stupid. You want a medal?

Lara Croft

7-14 year olds are smart enough to know that when a story has just begun and the characters aren't acting the way they do in teasers, they'll have to wait and see how they change. The whole point of an episodic format is to tell a story in small doses and take as long as necessary to naturally let the plot and characters advance. 

There's also the very basic fact that the commercials are not the primary means of storytelling and shouldn't not be taken at face value. They establish a premise and advertise the product, but there are infinite liberties than can be taken with the presentation.

You'll just have to wait and see how things progress and find out what is and isn't "official" like everyone else. Whatever your expectations were, I'd say it's time to lower them to a more reasonable standard.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 3

Oh, yes. Because when I see a hulking six foot tall cyborg surfing on lava I think realism. Tahu's character vid was realistic. That what I expect from ALL the Toa, especially the leader. Tahu used what knowledge he had to fight and get his mask. He even had the keystones to ballerina spin into the LOSS.

That's the Tahu I know and love. Not some wimp that carries his stronger swords around deactivated and doesn't know how to be a hero even when he clearly does. 

Unrealistic physics/biology =/= unrealistic character development. There's a much higher amount of suspension of disbelief for the former than for the latter, because most of the time, you're supposed to be able to relate to a character. I can relate to someone who's thrust into a position they're not sure they can handle and learning as they go along much more than I can relate to Gristle McThornbody.

Is your definition of "wimp" anyone who doesn't punch everyone they see in the face? There is more to being strong and being a hero than putting yourself in needless danger. Tahu's on a classic fetch quest; if this were an RPG, I know I'd be running from random encounters so I could get it done as quickly as possible.

• Upvote 6

7-14 year olds are smart enough to know that when a story has just begun and the characters aren't acting the way they do in teasers, they'll have to wait and see how they change. The whole point of an episodic format is to tell a story in small doses and take as long as necessary to naturally let the plot and characters advance. 

There's also the very basic fact that the commercials are not the primary means of storytelling and shouldn't not be taken at face value. They establish a premise and advertise the product, but there are infinite liberties than can be taken with the presentation.

You'll just have to wait and see how things progress and find out what is and isn't "official" like everyone else.

Obviously. 

Unrealistic physics/biology =/= unrealistic character development. There's a much higher amount of suspension of disbelief for the former than for the latter, because most of the time, you're supposed to be able to relate to a character. I can relate to someone who's thrust into a position they're not sure they can handle and learning as they go along much more than I can relate to Gristle McThornbody.

Is your definition of "wimp" anyone who doesn't punch everyone they see in the face? There is more to being strong and being a hero than putting yourself in needless danger. Tahu's on a classic fetch quest; if this were an RPG, I know I'd be running from random encounters so I could get it done as quickly as possible.

My definition of 'wimp' is six foot cyborgs with fire blades the size of bowie knives running from a threat they could clearly handle. Tahu is no bumbling fool. He knows how to get things done so when he doesn't it hurts his image. I'm supposed to believe, from everything I've seen, that Tahu can't fight a small battalion of spiders WITH help? He's bigger, he's stronger, and he's smarter. No self respecting warrior would go down because they 'didn't know how to be a hero!'

That's stupid.

Lara Croft

My definition of 'wimp' is six foot cyborgs with fire blades the size of bowie knives running from a threat they could clearly handle. Tahu is no bumbling fool. He knows how to get things done so when he doesn't it hurts his image. I'm supposed to believe, from everything I've seen, that Tahu can't fight a small battalion of spiders WITH help? He's bigger, he's stronger, and he's smarter. No self respecting warrior would go down because they 'didn't know how to be a hero!'

That's stupid.

He hasn't even activated his fire blades in-story yet or shown he knows how to use them. Perhaps he's unaware he's able to wield them? He hardly knew he could surf on them.

You keep asserting "he knows how to get things done" but no currently canon source of media supports this. He's accidentally smacked some Skull Spiders in the face and walked around. This was the first time we ever see him faced with the option of honest-to-goodness face-to-face conflict, and, since he doesn't know what to do (the narrator helpfully tells us exactly this in case you didn't catch it!), he runs.

It wasn't a "small battalion", either. It was a swarm. The Protector of Fire had his gun running rapidfire on them, emptying it, and yet there was still a sizeable amount. Are you certain someone who we don't even know if he can wield his blades could handle that?

• Upvote 4

You'll just have to wait and see how things progress and find out what is and isn't "official" like everyone else.

Obviously. 

That's stupid.

I'm afraid that if you think "how to be a hero" is to get yourself killed by a horde of enemies before you have the appropriate skills/talents/knowledge/weaponry to take them on, then most stories involving skilled characters in a fantasy setting are going to upset you.

• Upvote 7

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

That's stupid.

He hasn't even activated his fire blades in-story yet or shown he knows how to use them. Perhaps he's unaware he's able to wield them? He hardly knew he could surf on them.

You keep asserting "he knows how to get things done" but no currently canon source of media supports this. He's accidentally smacked some Skull Spiders in the face and walked around. This was the first time we ever see him faced with the option of honest-to-goodness face-to-face conflict, and, since he doesn't know what to do (the narrator helpfully tells us exactly this in case you didn't catch it!), he runs.

It wasn't a "small battalion", either. It was a swarm. The Protector of Fire had his gun running rapidfire on them, emptying it, and yet there was still a sizeable amount. Are you certain someone who we don't even know if he can wield his blades could handle that?

If he can't use his fire blades, he has no reason to be gunning for the golden mask. If ANY of the Toa couldn't use their weapons, then they have no business even attempting to save anybody.

If they were smart the protectors would help them learn what they DO know instead of dragging them around the island and forcing them to fight their enemies unprepared. 

Lara Croft

and he's smarter.

And this is why, instead of charging blindly into a horde of brain-grabbers, he decided to retreat and attempt to retrieve the mask.

But apparently that makes him a wimp, so whatever.

If he can't use his fire blades, he has no reason to be gunning for the golden mask. If ANY of the Toa couldn't use their weapons, then they have no business even attempting to save anybody.

This is the strangest definition of heroism I have ever seen.

and forcing them to fight their enemies unprepared. 

Isn't this exactly what you're advocating?

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 8

OpAXNpl.jpg

It's unreasonable to claim you understand a character better than his writers in a new story that has barely begun. I'm sorry to break your heart, but it looks like Tahu isn't some incredible warrior that never backs down from a fight anymore/yet.

Do you not at least remember that back when it all began, Tahu was on a quest for a mask and was confronted by an enormous swarm of insects and decided that the best way to overcome that obstacle was to literally shake them off and get away from them? The fine details are different but it sounds like it's treading the same path to me.

• Upvote 3

Obviously. 

That's stupid.

I'm afraid that if you think "how to be a hero" is to get yourself killed by a horde of enemies before you have the appropriate skills/talents/knowledge/weaponry to take them on, then most stories involving skilled characters in a fantasy setting are going to upset you.

I'm afraid if you think that was what I meant then you need to get your eyes checked. 

and he's smarter.

And this is why, instead of charging blindly into a horde of brain-grabbers, he decided to retreat and attempt to retrieve the mask.

But apparently that makes him a wimp, so whatever.

This is the strangest definition of heroism I have ever seen.

and forcing them to fight their enemies unprepared. 

Isn't this exactly what you're advocating?

1. You missed the part where it shows them having big fancy weapons.

2. Tahu couldn't use his fire blades for some reason. Yes, he is unprepared. 

Lara Croft

The fact that they haven't mastered their tools and elements yet doesn't disqualify them from helping.  Turning away anyone who isn't "perfect" is a good way to never get any help, ever.

Yeah.  And you've spent the past page and a half raging about how he didn't charge into battle at the slightest provocation.  The Protector isn't expecting him to fight; you are.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

Any old fool can own a weapon. That doesn't necessarily mean they can use it, especially without practice.

Then it's a good thing Tahu is a mighty warrior of fire and determination!

Oh wait. He's a wimp who can't shake down a few spiders. My bad. 

Lara Croft

Any old fool can own a weapon. That doesn't necessarily mean they can use it, especially without practice.

IE. anyone in college who owns a katana.

• Upvote 5

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

You keep drastically understating the volume of spiders here, to the extent that I'm wondering if you even watched the episode.

• Upvote 3

The fact that they haven't mastered their tools and elements yet doesn't disqualify them from helping.  Turning away anyone who isn't "perfect" is a good way to never get any help, ever.

Yeah.  And you've spent the past page and a half raging about how he didn't charge into battle at the slightest provocation.  The Protector isn't expecting him to fight; you are.

1. That't be nice to know BEFORE they go for the golden masks that they don't know how to do anything. It makes so much sense to have 'heroes' who don't know how to use their own weapons and powers searching for the most powerful objects on the island while deadly spiders sneak around and attack them at every turn.

2. If by 'slightest provocation' you mean the part where he had all the time it took the spiders to get there to show how lucky he is then yes.

Lara Croft

You keep drastically understating the volume of spiders here, to the extent that I'm wondering if you even watched the episode.

I'm gonna have to second that; it was a very fast moving swarm, and it didn't show signs of stopping. The whole reason they went there was to retrieve the Golden Mask, and fighting an ambiguously endless horde isn't going to help anyone, and would be a waste of time.

• Upvote 3

I'm gonna have to second that; it was a very fast moving swarm, and it didn't show signs of stopping. The whole reason they went there was to retrieve the Golden Mask, and fighting an ambiguously endless horde isn't going to help anyone, and would be a waste of time.

Again, they didn't have to wipe them all out, but it would have been nice to see Tahu kick some Skull Spider butt. I want my Toa to be fighting heroes, not wimps. 

Lara Croft