Official Rare & Promotional Collectibles Topic

Letagi

Hey! I recently got back into Bionicle, and I've become fascinated by the "misprinted" Kanohi from 2001 as I've come across a few ones the last year. I'm more of a set collector than a mask collector.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a local collector post a picture of a red Noble Rau in a Facebook group, and I can't find much information about it. No record on Bricklink of it existing and only picture I can find is from the Kanohi display in Legoland California from 2001(?). I have no way of checking if it's a real mask, but as the person who posted it is a respected "LEGO historian" I'd say there's a serious chance it's authentic. The red color also looked exactly like LEGO red.

Does anyone own one of those, or know of any (others) in existence?

1 hour ago, norlego said:

Hey! I recently got back into Bionicle, and I've become fascinated by the "misprinted" Kanohi from 2001 as I've come across a few ones the last year. I'm more of a set collector than a mask collector.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a local collector post a picture of a red Noble Rau in a Facebook group, and I can't find much information about it. No record on Bricklink of it existing and only picture I can find is from the Kanohi display in Legoland California from 2001(?). I have no way of checking if it's a real mask, but as the person who posted it is a respected "LEGO historian" I'd say there's a serious chance it's authentic. The red color also looked exactly like LEGO red.

Does anyone own one of those, or know of any (others) in existence?

Do you remember who posted that picture on Facebook or what group the mask was posted in? If you have a picture of that mask can you share it here? Thank you 

27 minutes ago, CareCreations said:

Do you remember who posted that picture on Facebook or what group the mask was posted in? If you have a picture of that mask can you share it here? Thank you 

It's a local LEGO facebook group. Here's a screenshot of the one photo that was posted.

Screenshot_20230717_202840_Facebook.jpg

Edited by norlego
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, norlego said:

It's a local LEGO facebook group. Here's a screenshot of the one photo that was posted.

Thanks! This is really interesting, unfortunately I'm not really an expert in this kind of thing. Could this be a prototype mask? I know that LEGO prototype pieces are usually created in red

10 hours ago, norlego said:

That looks like a paint job to me. The forehead area looks kind of spoltchy, though that could be the just from the picture quality. I've been out of the game for a while myself, but I have never heard of one of these in red.

MisprintHunters.png

On 7/22/2023 at 8:41 AM, Illuminatus said:

I've got some bad news for Krana collectors.

If your collection was internationally sourced, you probably have way more color variations than you think. Also, if you don't have a very potent UV light you simply can't reliably know which Krana is which exact color. So invest in one right now. Here's some essential reading on the subject that helped me pick out a proper one.

It appears that a good deal of the Krana colors have varying degrees of luminescence (batch-to-batch inconsistencies) while others still have very clear-cut differences in both luminescence and daylight color (imo different formulas/factories).

So for example, if you consider the yellow Krana variations as something worth going after, you should know there are at least three variations of it; not two. The first variation (the one that people would likely call "light yellow") is the least luminescent one and has a very sharp, sicklier look to it under daylight. The other two variations (the ones people would call "dark yellow") look softer and more vibrant under daylight but only one of them produces a strong orange luminescence, while the other looks brownish under a blacklight. So you can't really go by collecting just "light" and "dark" because a) the light ones are the ones that don't glow, and b) only some of the dark ones do glow.

The blue Krana have two very clear-cut versions that are easily discernable under broad daylight: one is pale while the other is a deep, vibrant blue. They produce a grayish or deep blue hue under a blacklight, respectively.

The pearl very light gray Krana are either white or violet under a blacklight, no in-between from what I've seen, although they look identical under daylight.

Some other Krana like the tan on or pearl dark gray ones seem to show a wide spectrum of luminescence while otherwise appearing the same.

The purple Krana are without a doubt the ones with the most striking difference under a blacklight and no apparent in-between. But for the most part you can't tell which version is which under daylight so I'd advise reinspecting your collection if you've been looking at them without any equipment.

I'm glad someone mentioned this. Even without UV light there are clearly two orange variants and two yellow variants. 

The BrickLink catalogue does not distinguish between the green and double green forehead variations, but they do have different part numbers that can be found on the inside of the mask so they are distinct designs.

BrickLink is right not to distinguish between these as I have two "single" green forehead masks with differing codes on the inside, meaning it is extremely likely that both molds/codes yield both patterns (and they really are one pattern when you carefully inspect them; just a matter of more red or more green).

San Diego Comic Con (SDCC) Kanoka - $??

This disk was seen on limited edition Toa Vakama sets, but due to a production error was not packaged with them. Instead, the few that exist were given out to LEGO employees. Owned by Toa Lhikan Hordika and DeeVee.

Me. Thank you, DeeVee.

21 hours ago, tourmalinex said:

These are being sold as "Trade Show Leach " , they are FDM printed. Does Lego 3d print pieces for trade shows?

My 3d printer at home can make these in a higher quality in the same color.

TradeShow.thumb.jpg.198c9cbac5fc2a0b4933c24724f81f8d.jpg

TRADE SHOW LEECHES? I’m rolling in my grave right now.

To answer your question they do, several pieces in the trade show prototype Axalara were 3D printed, two being the adapted Miru and it’s HUD.

Edited by Aiden

3 hours ago, Aiden said:

To answer your question they do, several pieces in the trade show prototype Axalara were 3D printed, two being the adapted Miru and it’s HUD.

Keep in mind though that those parts are SLS printed (fusing Nylon powder with a laser), not FDM prints like tourmalinex mentioned. Not that Lego may have never used FDM for prototyping, but the parts we saw used for Toy Fair prototypes around that time were spray painted SLS prints usually.

Maybe there is some more context that could shine light on these? Were these (allegedly) given out to trade show visitors?

Hail Denmark

6 hours ago, doodleloot said:

Keep in mind though that those parts are SLS printed (fusing Nylon powder with a laser), not FDM prints like tourmalinex mentioned. Not that Lego may have never used FDM for prototyping, but the parts we saw used for Toy Fair prototypes around that time were spray painted SLS prints usually.

Maybe there is some more context that could shine light on these? Were these (allegedly) given out to trade show visitors?

Interesting, I don’t know much about printing. I’d still be really interested in talking to the person myself though, if not to confirm to myself they are not real. I think the ones I have are spray painted, but coooould be powdered?

Edited by Aiden

5 hours ago, doodleloot said:
9 hours ago, Aiden said:

Also to add to this, I recall a more recent interview from the last couple years with someone involved with Bionicle around that time where they specifically mentioned they were using SLS or "powder" printing to prototype parts instead of milling machines, kit-bashes, and other methods like they used to. If I recall the interview I'll link it here.

11 hours ago, tourmalinex said:

My 3d printer at home can make these in a higher quality in the same color.

Just to add to this comment, I feel like we're forgetting how much 3D printing has advanced in the last 25 years, and how much more affordable it has become. I remember back then how rare and cool it was to have a high school drafting class with access to a 3D printer, it was not at all the norm, and they were way slower and clunkier than the ones we see today that are a couple hundred bucks. So yeah, of course your 25 years of tech advancement for the consumer market 3D printer is better than whatever was easily available and top of the line back then, I would be mad if it hadn't come this far! It's awesome the phenomenal stuff we can print on budget printers these days, but remember that the tech wasn't always this good or affordable.

As for the leeches, I know Lego has done trade shows in Texas, and had had SLS printed stuff displayed at them, but no clue if they're real. If they can be proven to be SLS "Powder" printed, I would say they could be legit.

1 hour ago, tourmalinex said:

I think they are fake....?

Email.thumb.png.b2961e665333c95bd8b311cf4e60c2e5.png

Reading this over again, I’m very confused. He mentions a tridax pod being resold two years ago on eBay, but is there any record of that? I haven’t gotten any of my tridax pod or shadow leech prototypes from eBay- and I don’t believe I got any tridax pods a whole two years ago, but time flies. I’m really curious what the tridax pod in question was. Could you ask for a picture of that?

• Upvote 1

I believe these Shadow Leeches are fake but would love to see the source/seller and compare stories

After doing research, the only event I can find in Texas is at the Market Center in Dallas, but it's a trade show for Trades, not really a retail show, so for like home design stuff, not really toys from what I can tell, I also can't find info of one being held in 2007-08 which is when these would have to be from.

Since I own the Prototype Axalara from the New York International Toy Fair, which was held in Feb of 2008, it's likely that if these were going to show up anywhere, it would be there, as it is the largest tradeshow in the western hemisphere. That said comparing these to parts from the Axalara, the print type and material is incorrect, also having seen prototype printed Shadow Leeches, they are different from the final mold, details are moved around, and they use the same, white nylon airbrushed material, which these are clearly not. Though I cannot be 100% certain, since these do not show up as loose (as they are so small, they would be too easily stolen) I believe these are fake.

Also taking pictures at trade events is typically allowed within regulations, lego specifically includes a photo area and invites bloggers/press usually for this kind of stuff. They encourage look but don't touch

Edited by Skybird
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aiden said:

Interesting, I don’t know much about printing. I’d still be really interested in talking to the person myself though, if not to confirm to myself they are not real. I think the ones I have are spray painted, but coooould be powdered?

The powder part was referring to the printing process, they were still likely spray painted after being printed in the usual white Nylon material

3 hours ago, tourmalinex said:

I think they are fake....?

Email.thumb.png.b2961e665333c95bd8b311cf4e60c2e5.png

Do they have any images of the blue SLS leeches? Honestly doesn't sound like that unlikely of a story on its own, but some more evidence would be nice. We've heard of prototype masks that were given to individuals at Toy Fairs before afaik.

Edited by doodleloot

Hail Denmark

2 hours ago, Aiden said:

Reading this over again, I’m very confused. He mentions a tridax pod being resold two years ago on eBay, but is there any record of that? I haven’t gotten any of my tridax pod or shadow leech prototypes from eBay- and I don’t believe I got any tridax pods a whole two years ago, but time flies. I’m really curious what the tridax pod in question was. Could you ask for a picture of that?

From Seller:

They are a table prop; I would call them a decoration and they were gifted to me in 2011. I had a leach pod that was missing a clip on one side and a color deformity, the person who bought them told me they sold it on eBay for $000, when they came back asking for more. I don’t see much value in them like $7 a piece, I been looking on eBay for prices. Arther considers these prototypes; I don’t see them as such.  

From Seller:

They are a table prop; I would call them a decoration and they were gifted to me in 2011. I had a leach pod that was missing a clip on one side and a color deformity, the person who bought them told me they sold it on eBay for $000, when they came back asking for more. I don’t see much value in them like $7 a piece, I been looking on eBay for prices. Arther considers these prototypes; I don’t see them as such.  

I find the lack of information concerning, and the whole situation suspicious. Nobody buys something from you and resells it for triple digits and then comes back, tells you they did, and asks for more to sell. Also a noticeable lack of pictures other than the one you shared. They haven’t said how many they have, so while $7 apiece seems innocent, they could just be printing these and turning a big profit even off of just $7. Also really weird they haven’t gone to any sort of bionicle forum or community to ask about them, that’s what most people typically do, even people unfamiliar with bionicle. 

That being said, at $7 apiece there isn’t much risk.

Edit: It’s also odd they aren’t asking for more, after seeing somebody sell one of his items for triple digits. As shown by the red gold avohkii, he sold them initially cheap, saw people resell it for quad digits, and put his up for auction to get more money. Doesn’t add up why he’d be asking pocket change for them, at that point you may as well be giving them out for free, unless of course they are costing him money to produce. But of course that’s worst case scenario, it’d help if we had more info and pictures obviously. 

Edited by Aiden

3 hours ago, tourmalinex said:

I have bought other stuff from them that was real. There prices are like from 4 year ago on masks. No ones going to sell you moive edition set for $50 now adays.

I don’t quite follow what you’re saying here, sorry 

It’s a white metal Krana, someone tried to drill it to make it a pendent. I have looked at some other white metal krana that Lego made they are cheaply made with molding lines and rounded points on the sharp parts of the mask, like someone used a hand file on it. Someone tried to solder something to this one and drill a hole in the forehead. So bricks and mini figs could not sell it. There is ownership problems with the one blue leach.

19 minutes ago, tourmalinex said:

It’s a white metal Krana, someone tried to drill it to make it a pendent. I have looked at some other white metal krana that Lego made they are cheaply made with molding lines and rounded points on the sharp parts of the mask, like someone used a hand file on it. Someone tried to solder something to this one and drill a hole in the forehead. So bricks and mini figs could not sell it. There is ownership problems with the one blue leach.

RIP that WMKK. I have a replica that I bought which has damage where the stud was because it was soldered to a ring. Looks practically identical to the official one I had awhile back.

Ownership problems is an interesting issue, I wonder what could be going on there. 

The blue leech looks like this picture I found online.

Blue.jpg.4265af822a8a4a93bd30820237602a5a.jpg

There partner wants to see if they can sell it at Brick-fest.

19eb4847779a4deac997214cec4e89fb-BFL-POR

If the “powdered blue” leech is the same as that one, I’d say it’s safe to say the gray ones are real, assuming he got them all from the same person. I have four of those ones, from a former lego employee.

Edited by Aiden

17 minutes ago, Aiden said:

If the “powdered blue” leech is the same as that one, I’d say it’s safe to say the gray ones are real, assuming he got them all from the same person. I have four of those ones, from a former lego employee.

IMG_1212.jpeg

I think they bought one blue from the Brick Cascade Expo, from a person who was an attendee.

Edited by tourmalinex

On 7/22/2023 at 10:01 PM, TERIDAX941 said:

I originally had decided to make sure I had both versions of the purple ones, but if this is the case and there's variation across all of them, I'll just quit where I am, and officially say that my krana collection is complete! :D

I'm a bit late to the party, but tbh I can barely notice the difference between Purples. Yellows are really obvious to me though, so I dunno if it's just my eyes or what. 

It's hard to tell from my camera, the colors are pretty different under black light but I won't be able to capture that until it's darker, later tonight

I have a shadow Kraata that doesn't glow, compared to all of my others which glow magenta

IMG_20230806_165648803.jpg

On 6/29/2023 at 8:04 PM, Roger C-T said:

Alright, who saw that BL SSKK, what was it? =D

It was a WMKK. I bought it pretty much immediately. I received the order confirmation the same minute as my notification email. They told me the same story about it being listed in error. They didn't know the difference between a SSKK and WMKK. When they finally got the part in and sent me pictures, it was pretty obvious it was a WMKK since it didn't have "STERLING" on the back and the flashing lines were very visible. No card or bag, but it does appear to be genuine and looks exactly like pictures I see on MOD. I am displaying it on my Takua Va: https://www.facebook.com/TakuasBlog

-David Skyroller

On 8/2/2023 at 3:39 PM, Aiden said:

RIP that WMKK. I have a replica that I bought which has damage where the stud was because it was soldered to a ring. Looks practically identical to the official one I had awhile back.

Ownership problems is an interesting issue, I wonder what could be going on there. 

The eyes have been made bigger and the back is destroyed, I clean it with a metal polishing cloth and that made it look even badder, it has burned glue on it.

Edited by tourmalinex