Official Rare & Promotional Collectibles Topic

Letagi

On 7/11/2023 at 5:34 PM, InconspicuousShark said:

Glad you got verification and I hope to get my hands on one of those masks one day... I know you were looking for Kraata but I doubt you'd be willing to trade your Pearl Avohkii for them :P

I'm a bit out of the loop on these, what are they and why are they fake?

sadly no, my avohkii is 100% a keeper, it's the crown of my collection, and i'm entirely done with both set and wild kraata! they're all just vibing in a tower i built em. i'm still looking for prototype and misprint kraata, but the avohkii wouldn't be a trade i would make. i have other things i'm interested in selling or trading, but none of them are prototypes.

I discovered the Transblue G2 KauKau!

Conclusions on gray leeches

1.       They do not fit on Lego axles. If they are Lego parts, should they not fit?

2.       They are FDM printed, so they are hard to paint.

3.       They don’t match any leech’s artwork made by Lego.

4.       All the Lego printed prototypes I research are SLS.

5.       I feel that they are fake, however TNG did not charge me for them based on my research.

About the Blue Leech

It was sold by TNG partner who claimed ownership of the Blue Leech.  The blue leech is the same as the one in the picture that I posted. Holding the piece in the past, it was made of SLS and felt like sand and was painted blue.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 2:34 AM, tourmalinex said:

Conclusions on gray leeches

1.       They do not fit on Lego axles. If they are Lego parts, should they not fit?

2.       They are FDM printed, so they are hard to paint.

3.       They don’t match any leech’s artwork made by Lego.

4.       All the Lego printed prototypes I research are SLS.

5.       I feel that they are fake, however TNG did not charge me for them based on my research.

About the Blue Leech

It was sold by TNG partner who claimed ownership of the Blue Leech.  The blue leech is the same as the one in the picture that I posted. Holding the piece in the past, it was made of SLS and felt like sand and was painted blue.

As far as the blue one goes, (I’m certainly not calling you a liar) but I’m sure you’d understand that without pictures of the actual one they had, as far as I’m concerned theirs doesn’t exist/is fake, until pictures are brought forward for inspection. 

16 minutes ago, Skybird said:

Are wmkk, sskk, etc not cast over plastic? I thought it was metal coated similar to the Chrome Hau situation, and given the hard plastic gray krana

VMKK are plastic with a chrome finish. If you took the finish off, you would have a GPKK. WMKK and SSKK are solid metal.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone missed the video, Faber's youtube channel added a video from 1999-2000 showing prototypes. A lot of interesting parts like a brown 32172
But most notably are the lime Kakama on a green/lime Tarakava, the Red/Yellow Nui-Rama similar to the ones that Baraklava now owns (but these both have black arms and mata heads), Mctoran with different arm feet and head designs, recolored short turaga staffs, a throwing disk with red Miru, An actual Miru that is burgundy, a milky white Rau, orange Kakama, grey Kakama, red and Black Lewa Axes, Manas remote with green buttons on one side, why are you still reading this? Just go see the video here: 

image.png.4fac9b806fddb7fe4bd30ebdbeb30b52.pngimage.png.210e4e82ee69430498d5f2dbbf35227f.pngimage.png.c8d4f50eef7f601c4159af66fbe47f5f.pngimage.png.42fd94679fa1d2f3999f6373934d6b30.pngimage.png.7242939962ba3a5861bf70bd7ec6fc1b.pngimage.png.5883dad0a584abad613bd4633686e890.pngimage.png.777e17c56aeae5740bf21e47cbe6bb67.png

• Like 3

Has no one mentioned the eBay lot with the White / Dark Blue Miru yet? It's in the mid $700s right now, but I was stunned to see it go up. In a lot with a bunch of other masks too. It'll be quite the nice lot for whoever gets it.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

13 hours ago, T.B.O.C said:

Has no one mentioned the eBay lot with the White / Dark Blue Miru yet? It's in the mid $700s right now, but I was stunned to see it go up. In a lot with a bunch of other masks too. It'll be quite the nice lot for whoever gets it.

Could you link it? Can't seem to find it.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a white huna mask I'm looking to get an appraisal for, I currently have offers around 1400usd but I have seen them go for more (name one on Bricklink for 3000usd (whether that is accurate I am uncertain of) Considering how rare they are and how few known people have them, I'm looking for 2000, maybe more. Is that an unreasonable ask or am I on the right path?

Edited by Anon3356

On 9/9/2023 at 12:44 PM, Anon3356 said:

I have a white huna I'm looking to sell, I have offers for 1400usd, however I've seen em go for significantly more, namely 3000usd on bricklink (whether that is accurate I don't know) can I ask for more or should I be satisfied?

I'd take Bricklink sales with a pinch of salt, there's no way of proving if the item was correct, or the transaction even took place.

I'd say 3k for a White Huna is very extreme, there's a few of them out there, I wouldn't put it anywhere near the Sky Kakama that recently sold.

5 hours ago, Roger C-T said:

I'd take Bricklink sales with a pinch of salt, there's no way of proving if the item was correct, or the transaction even took place.

What's up with people distrusting Bricklink so much nowadays? Yeah the correct part arriving issue is true, but the transactional part is logged by the payment method used (PayPal, bank transfer, etc.) and then reflected on the site as a record of sale. Could buyers buy way higher on platform and then have the seller send them some cash back off record? Sure, but that can happen with any online seller platform, not just Bricklink. Also, that White Huna was up for quite a while if I recall, so I'm sure their was a lot communication going on between seller and buyers.

On 9/9/2023 at 7:44 AM, Anon3356 said:

I have a white huna I'm looking to sell, I have offers for 1400usd, however I've seen em go for significantly more, namely 3000usd on bricklink (whether that is accurate I don't know) can I ask for more or should I be satisfied?

The 3000 USD is a bit extreme like Roger C-T mentioned, but they seem to have rarely sold for that before. They pretty much have the same origin story as the Brown Komaus, which seem to have sold for around 1000-1200 USD lately from what I've seen and heard. But there seems to be a way smaller supply of them entering the market than those. 1400 USD is a fair price for sure, but you can always ask around to see if there's someone out there who's willing to pay more. A bunch of people on here are looking for one, I'm sure they'll see your post and reach out soon enough.

Edited by Darknut

5 hours ago, Darknut said:

What's up with people distrusting Bricklink so much nowadays? Yeah the correct part arriving issue is true, but the transactional part is logged by the payment method used (PayPal, bank transfer, etc.) and then reflected on the site as a record of sale. Could buyers buy way higher on platform and then have the seller send them some cash back off record? Sure, but that can happen with any online seller platform, not just Bricklink. Also, that White Huna was up for quite a while if I recall, so I'm sure their was a lot communication going on between seller and buyers.

Too easy to fake a sale.

1. List a rare item at a high price.
  2. If it doesn't sell, buy it yourself from another account to create a sales record. 
  3. Post it again a couple months later, and justify your asking price using the sales record you created. 

Not going to name names, but I suspect that a few sellers do this regularly. Impossible to say with any certainty whether a particular sale is faked in this manner, but you can bet that some are. 

The white Huna was only up for a week or two if I recall correctly. 

This is the 1st time I have seen a FDM part

FDMHead.png.50e0a7f17ab169efa080b720a3ce573a.png

On 8/27/2023 at 7:31 PM, David Skyroller said:

In case anyone missed the video, Faber's youtube channel added a video from 1999-2000 showing prototypes. A lot of interesting parts like a brown 32172
But most notably are the lime Kakama on a green/lime Tarakava, the Red/Yellow Nui-Rama similar to the ones that Baraklava now owns (but these both have black arms and mata heads), Mctoran with different arm feet and head designs, recolored short turaga staffs, a throwing disk with red Miru, An actual Miru that is burgundy, a milky white Rau, orange Kakama, grey Kakama, red and Black Lewa Axes, Manas remote with green buttons on one side, why are you still reading this? Just go see the video here: 

image.png.4fac9b806fddb7fe4bd30ebdbeb30b52.pngimage.png.210e4e82ee69430498d5f2dbbf35227f.pngimage.png.c8d4f50eef7f601c4159af66fbe47f5f.pngimage.png.42fd94679fa1d2f3999f6373934d6b30.pngimage.png.7242939962ba3a5861bf70bd7ec6fc1b.pngimage.png.5883dad0a584abad613bd4633686e890.pngimage.png.777e17c56aeae5740bf21e47cbe6bb67.png

I don't know if this was already reported (sorry if it was) but this is being sold on Ebay for quite a lot right now. I only just learned that these existed, they must be quite rare?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204465003450?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=e112362.m1951.l3160&mkcid=8&bu=44113218276&osub=ca9cdbf34a27ff09ea5a236382ede64d%7ETE10001_T_NORMAL_CT1%7E10001&segname=TE10001_T_NORMAL_CT1&crd=20230921090000&ch=osgood

image.thumb.png.5a41b0d04f39011887105eefab78f1fa.png

Edited by TERIDAX941

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

1 hour ago, TERIDAX941 said:

Will Hafner says he got these from a German bricklink store (closed now) that sold them as the common ones that came with Kurahk.

Screenshot_20230921-221541.png

5 hours ago, TERIDAX941 said:

I don't know if this was already reported (sorry if it was) but this is being sold on Ebay for quite a lot right now. I only just learned that these existed, they must be quite rare?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204465003450?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=e112362.m1951.l3160&mkcid=8&bu=44113218276&osub=ca9cdbf34a27ff09ea5a236382ede64d%7ETE10001_T_NORMAL_CT1%7E10001&segname=TE10001_T_NORMAL_CT1&crd=20230921090000&ch=osgood

image.thumb.png.5a41b0d04f39011887105eefab78f1fa.png

It's a rare piece, but not worth anything even remotely in the ballpark of 2K. Will Hafner gave out quite a few of them and traded me a full set of six. I don't know the exact number but there are lots out there. 

6 hours ago, Letagi said:

It's a rare piece, but not worth anything even remotely in the ballpark of 2K. Will Hafner gave out quite a few of them and traded me a full set of six. I don't know the exact number but there are lots out there. 

Iirc I think he said there were somewhere around 50 of them

I've gotten a few solid color Kraata from Bricklink in the past, I've got an all red one and a whiteish gray one that doesn't really match any of the official colors. Do we know for a fact that these are prototypes and not just misprints? Quality control on Kraata was all over the board, so many of them barely have one of their two colors so I suspect misprints are way more common than you'd think.

1 hour ago, InconspicuousShark said:

I've gotten a few solid color Kraata from Bricklink in the past, I've got an all red one and a whiteish gray one that doesn't really match any of the official colors. Do we know for a fact that these are prototypes and not just misprints? Quality control on Kraata was all over the board, so many of them barely have one of their two colors so I suspect misprints are way more common than you'd think.

These were purchased in bulk, it would be very improbable that the original owner managed to pull ~50 misprints of the same kind, that’s the big thing pointing these to being prototypes. Do you have pictures of yours? 

My friend bought one for $175 in 2020 from CA, I am not above paying $400 for 1. Also, for some reason I think 3000 of them were made and that stage 5 was not made or only 3 sates 5 where made.

18 hours ago, Letagi said:

On 9/16/2023 at 12:20 PM, Letagi said:

Too easy to fake a sale.

1. List a rare item at a high price.
  2. If it doesn't sell, buy it yourself from another account to create a sales record. 
  3. Post it again a couple months later, and justify your asking price using the sales record you created. 

Not going to name names, but I suspect that a few sellers do this regularly. Impossible to say with any certainty whether a particular sale is faked in this manner, but you can bet that some are. 

The white Huna was only up for a week or two if I recall correctly. 

I've been out of the collector's loop for a while so I apologize if this digs up old drama or anything, but is this what happened with PGK's? Someone just listing the thing at increasingly absurd prices and buying it from themselves to drum up hype? I understand things get scarce over time but mentally I'm still trapped in 2017ish land where a couple hundred bucks for one was considered absurd.

16 hours ago, Aiden said:

These were purchased in bulk, it would be very improbable that the original owner managed to pull ~50 misprints of the same kind, that’s the big thing pointing these to being prototypes. Do you have pictures of yours? 

Ah, didn't realize they were bought in bulk.

Here's my Kraata, the white one is two-toned (I misremembered) but the colors still don't match up to any of the official ones, and the red one is actually missing some pigmentation in the front, the some of the stud connector and some bits of the face are transparent: https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.redd.it%2F6hlllklgnhv51.jpg%3Fwidth%3D3120%26format%3Dpjpg%26auto%3Dwebp%26s%3Df33be4a8caa6b2e21075301b51430a961ce5a630

46 minutes ago, InconspicuousShark said:

Ah, didn't realize they were bought in bulk.

Here's my Kraata, the white one is two-toned (I misremembered) but the colors still don't match up to any of the official ones, and the red one is actually missing some pigmentation in the front, the some of the stud connector and some bits of the face are transparent: https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.redd.it%2F6hlllklgnhv51.jpg%3Fwidth%3D3120%26format%3Dpjpg%26auto%3Dwebp%26s%3Df33be4a8caa6b2e21075301b51430a961ce5a630

The white one doesn’t look like anything special, just a little off color. The red one is pretty cool though, I haven’t seen one like it before!

16 hours ago, tourmalinex said:

My friend bought one for $175 in 2020 from CA, I am not above paying $400 for 1. Also, for some reason I think 3000 of them were made and that stage 5 was not made or only 3 sates 5 where made.

From what I understand there were only two Stage 5 in the lot that Will found.

4 minutes ago, tourmalinex said:

I found these on Reddit, I thought they were interesting; however, I did not contact the person asking about them. They are in the Part Identification Mega Thread - April 11, 2023.

b17rzsgxjqnb1.jpeg?width=4032&format=pjp

I don’t believe these are real. It is particularly suspicious to me that these popped up not long after those light gray ones- and happen to fix all of the issues we had with those ones. And I suppose this particular detail doesn’t weigh too much on their legitimacy, I just find it weird that they aren’t spray painted. All the SLS protos we’ve found have been spray painted. 

6 hours ago, Aiden said:

The white one doesn’t look like anything special, just a little off color. The red one is pretty cool though, I haven’t seen one like it before!

The color is way more off in person, this picture was taken on a low end phone from 2018 in a room with terrible lighting so it doesn't do the best job conveying the color properly. It definitely doesn't look like an Anger Slug.

Edited by InconspicuousShark

9 hours ago, tourmalinex said:

I finality got in contact with the person on reddit, they sold the showdown leeches. They did offer me some proof a scan of a note that came with the leeches and a screencap from the person who created the leeches 3d models, screencap of rhino software 3d modeling software.

sezm4vzp56ob1.png

vmgd2yzp56ob1.png

asd32gfd4g.png

It’s not really proof imo. How am I to know that there was actually a second person? All the 3D model proves is that they were, in fact, printed. The note could’ve just been scribbled up. They also conveniently refused to share who the original designer was. Skybird (who seems to know quite a bit about this stuff) also noted that sprue trees are not needed for SLS and powder bed fusion. 

46 minutes ago, Aiden said:

It’s not really proof imo. How am I to know that there was actually a second person? All the 3D model proves is that they were, in fact, printed. The note could’ve just been scribbled up. They also conveniently refused to share who the original designer was. Skybird (who seems to know quite a bit about this stuff) also noted that sprue trees are not needed for SLS and powder bed fusion. 

No, one seems to shares sources. I don’t see how printing them one by one is practical or invalidates them. Printing more then one item with tree sprues, would be done because SLS had a disadvantage when first introduced, it was a slow manufacturing process.

6 hours ago, tourmalinex said:

No, one seems to shares sources. I don’t see how printing them one by one is practical or invalidates them. Printing more then one item with tree sprues, would be done because SLS had a disadvantage when first introduced, it was a slow manufacturing process.

It’s just another tick against it. Too much suspicious stuff going on with these. When I look at new prototypes that haven’t been seen before, I need sufficient proof that they are real, otherwise I’m assuming they’re fake. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 9:20 PM, MjolnirThunder said:

I've been out of the collector's loop for a while so I apologize if this digs up old drama or anything, but is this what happened with PGK's? Someone just listing the thing at increasingly absurd prices and buying it from themselves to drum up hype? I understand things get scarce over time but mentally I'm still trapped in 2017ish land where a couple hundred bucks for one was considered absurd.

I'm curious when it's thought this happened- I'm trying to remember when the first one sold in the $800 range.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I’m Owls.

Earlier this year I found 6 different assumed prototype/misprint parts; 5 Kanohi and 1 Weapon as I’ve documented on Twitter and I’m pretty sure some other people have already posted about this in this thread. I can provide further proof if needed.

First of all, I know it’s a bit late but I’m open to answer any further questions about the parts.

Second of all, since I’m no collector I’ve decided after some consideration that I’ll probably sell them off over time, with the exception or one or two of the Kanohi(the Teal Matatu in particular).
This is why I’m looking for some price estimates, both for the masks and the light blue Trident. I know there have been some recent sales like the Copper Avohkii and Light Blue Kakama, but as far as I am aware multiple of those exist while the ones I acquired seem to be entirely unique (with the exception of the yellow Ruru).

I appreciate any help in this subject and hope I can answer some questions in turn.

-Owls

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Owls said:

I appreciate any help in this subject and hope I can answer some questions in turn.

-Owls

So glad to finally have you here! I've been checking (stalking) your twitter and IG for months awaiting any updates. These masks are a thing of dreams and we need more!

First of all, any further details of where/who you obtained them from, and where they got them from, as far back in the timeline as is possible would be wonderful.

Second, I suppose it must be said, any further pictures of the masks would be greatly appreciated, especially shots compared to other parts of the same color from the same era. While it's absolutely believable that unknown mythical Bionicle parts show up over 20 years later, and the pictures you provided were great, there is a rise in popularity of resin "replicas" (fakes) out there that are getting better. While I don't think I've seen a resin mask that could stand up to close inspection, I'm not saying it's not possible, and unfortunately we are likely to see these fakes being passed off as the real thing at some point in the future if the craft is mastered.

As for the price... unfortunately out of my reach, as much as I'd love to have one. You could probably look at the sky Kakama as your base price, while there are 3 known examples AFAIK, only one has ever been sold and the other two owners seem pretty elusive, but having true one of a kinds? The sky is the limit I guess, you've stumbled upon a fortune.

- Roger

13 hours ago, Owls said:

Hey, I’m Owls.

Earlier this year I found 6 different assumed prototype/misprint parts; 5 Kanohi and 1 Weapon as I’ve documented on Twitter and I’m pretty sure some other people have already posted about this in this thread. I can provide further proof if needed.

First of all, I know it’s a bit late but I’m open to answer any further questions about the parts.

Second of all, since I’m no collector I’ve decided after some consideration that I’ll probably sell them off over time, with the exception or one or two of the Kanohi(the Teal Matatu in particular).
This is why I’m looking for some price estimates, both for the masks and the light blue Trident. I know there have been some recent sales like the Copper Avohkii and Light Blue Kakama, but as far as I am aware multiple of those exist while the ones I acquired seem to be entirely unique (with the exception of the yellow Ruru).

-Owls

Deciding on a value for one-of-a-kind items is always tricky. Sometimes the numbers that people land on in auctions are almost unbelievably high, like $4500 for the light blue Kakama. On the other hand, sometimes items fall short of what one might expect; for instance, a one-of-a-kind prototype black Ruru sold for $725 at auction a few weeks ago. 

In general I consider $500-1000 to be sort of a fair benchmark for very rare masks, whether one-of-a-kind or few-of-a-kind. Then it's just a matter of who's in the market at the time and how high they're willing to go. 

Have you thought about what sort of format you might use to sell the masks?

Edited by Letagi