BIONICLE Website Picks Up Small Update

Things are gearing up for the BIONICLE reveal at NYCC later today! The BIONICLE website has picked up a small update, now sporting a Home button and a Mask of Creation with animated glowing eyes. Oddly enough, you can't see the changes from everywhere, it seems. In some places, you can only see the logo and the background and nothing more - changing your region on LEGO.com doesn't help either. Why LEGO would restrict the changes to some regions of the world (at least US and New Zealand, probably others as well) is beyond me, but we'll see how the website is going to look later today. -- Adrian

View the full article

The Mask of Creation image has now been replaced by a fancy schmancy banner depicting several of the characters (heroes and villains). Since an exclusive Tahu mask is being given out as the convention, I'm assuming he's the red character. It's our first official look at the sets!

EDIT: Yup, the site now contains character bios of the six Toa. Their personalities seem to be mostly the same, but there are some obvious differences or additions. Apparently Kopaka is clumsy and Onua snores.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

So apparently the Toa have their Mata personalities, except with more derpness.  I am unsure how to take this.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

So apparently the Toa have their Mata personalities, except with more derpness.  I am unsure how to take this.

Could make for some good comedy... I guess? A lighthearted approach to start isn't bad. 

-NotS

Not to mention it gives them relatable flaws that can be treated as a part of who they are and not just as an obstacle to be overcome. As great as it was to see the Toa finally working together well in 2008, they felt a little bit less distinctive once they learned to temper the unique characteristics that had gotten them into so many fights in the past. Once Tahu became less hotheaded, Kopaka less antisocial, and Lewa less reckless and better at getting himself out of danger, they didn't have nearly as much distinguishing them as they had previously.

With the new characterization, the characters' flaws aren't presented as psychological flaws that they need to do away with, but as challenges that they will be able to help each other through. Even if Kopaka is always clumsy, or Tahu always forgetful, or Onua always lethargic, they won't have to do away with those traits in order to be effective teammates Instead, those traits give them an incentive to depend on each other as soon as they are prepared to acknowledge their own inherent shortcomings.

Not saying that this is the direction the new story will take, of course. But if it is, then as a learning-disabled person it might really speak to me. Some of the shows I enjoy most these days are things like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic or The Legend of Korra where the characters have plenty of realistic flaws. They don't overcome their flaws by changing their identities. Korra never does away with her hot temper or pride, nor does Fluttershy ever do away with her extreme timidness. Instead, they have to learn to accommodate for them with the help of a network of friends and teammates.

• Upvote 1