Canisters

Got_It_Made43

So... I lost the canisters to some sets. What can I keep them in as an alternative?

Ziploc bags? I find those are often a lot more space-efficient than canisters anyway. Back in the day I used to bring sets to and from college in canisters and/or their original boxes and it was quite an ordeal. Using ziploc bags was far more effective.

I believe a lot of AFOLS also use Ziploc bags to transport their models to and from conventions. Again, did this with my Brickfair MOCs this year and it was a whole lot more effective than transporting them in a plastic storage tub or cardboard shoebox like I'd done previous years.

Seeing the new packaging on that BZP Kopaka review, these are pretty nice replacements. They are boxes sure, but they definitely remind me of the canisters in shape and size. Obviously storage is a no, but regardless it's not a bad change.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I would've liked canisters to return if they has a similar funtionality and story-tie-in like their 2001 ancestors, but barring that, i particularly like the new direction they seem to be going in.

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

I really hope the new boxes can be used as storage. I don't want my awesome Gali set to be stuck inside a Ziploc bag like Ehlek.

As I said before, they can. You might need to break them into two or three sections and remove protruding bits like weapons and heavy armor, but that's no different from many later Bionicle sets like Mantax, Skrall, Strakk, etc., which didn't fit into their canisters in one piece.

The new boxes are somewhat flimsy so you won't want to stack things on them or anything, but they're sturdy enough that they'll hold their shape if you leave them alone and they'll be just as good as past containers in terms of just keeping your set's contents together in one place.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Canisters had their day. It's time to move into a day and age where we at least try being a little easier on the planet.

Plus, boxes are simply dominant in every way (for me). I don't see any serious advantages with canisters. People just need to let go. They were fine when we had them, but it's their time to step aside.

Oh my gosh, we're all gonna die!!!!

The new boxes are somewhat flimsy so you won't want to stack things on them or anything, but they're sturdy enough that they'll hold their shape if you leave them alone and they'll be just as good as past containers in terms of just keeping your set's contents together in one place.

Really good to hear. :) Being cardboard and flimsy obviously won't make it the best storage device but it's still cool that it can be used as such.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

You hear this, LEGO? Stop making canisters for everything because a guy who has the balls to call himself 'Bananna Guns' feels that you should stop using them.

Huh? He should be entitled to his own opinion. Besides, it's not like LEGO even makes canisters anymore.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I suspect that the new boxes are no better than the HF bags. For the record, disassembly is required to put Rocka Stealth Machine back in his bag. I expect the boxes to be the same deal.

I would consider them worse than the pouches, actually, seeing as they're less durable and can't be resealed as easily. The pouches were, in my opinion, the best containers Constraction sets ever had.

Also, as I mentioned before, disassembly being required to fit characters in their containers was very much a thing even when there WERE canisters, especially thanks to Bionicle sets' broad shoulders and the often narrow openings of later canisters. In fact, I'd consider it even more restrictive since canisters, unlike pouches or even these thin boxes, have no flex to them.

You hear this, LEGO? Stop making canisters for everything because a guy who has the balls to call himself 'Bananna Guns' feels that you should stop using them.

Or rather, START making canisters again just because a random forum member who goes by the very original and not at all cliche username "Blueblur21" wants you to. His opinion is so much more important than the opinions of the environmental groups who awarded you for cutting waste, or the money you could be saving by not creating expensive and bulky packaging!

See? It cuts both ways. Don't assume your opinions are that much more important than others', and don't try to bring irrelevant things like usernames into the discussion just to try to pick a fight.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight, just stating my feelings. (Which at second glance I feel could have been worded differently.) I was trying to poke fun at his logic. I know it made sense and I know all about the savings LEGO could have when they start using boxes.

Secondly, nowhere in my statement did I say my opinion mattered more than his or anyone else's. It was my take on the situation, and nothing more.

And give me a break, would you? I was thirteen when I made that name. In my defense, there is a reason they used canisters for ten years: They work.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I am a little disappointed about them using boxes and not the bags or canisters (mostly bags).

I'm guessing after this wave or next year of bionicle (if there going to be a next year :P) they would go back to bags.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I am a little disappointed about them using boxes and not the bags or canisters (mostly bags).

I'm guessing after this wave or next year of bionicle (if there going to be a next year :P) they would go back to bags.

While I'd like it if the resealable pouches came back, I think it's kind of unlikely since I'm sure some of the factors that led to them switching to boxes were based on factors like the environment that haven't really changed. Also, I don't think the switch will impact sales all that much, since the sets themselves have always been the main selling point. We can still hope for slightly sturdier boxes in the future, though.

Are the boxes for the Titan-level sets still over-sized? I remember getting Maxilos and Spinax in a huge box... and the pieces probably took up a 1/4th of the box. Maybe LEGO can start saving the environment with that.

-NotS

I think that they are already putting work into solving that. There was a news article on the front page not too long ago stating that they were going to fix it. 

• Upvote 1

Are the boxes for the Titan-level sets still over-sized? I remember getting Maxilos and Spinax in a huge box... and the pieces probably took up a 1/4th of the box. Maybe LEGO can start saving the environment with that.

-NotS

Lego has greatly reduced the size of the boxes for larger sets in other themes. No telling whether that'll carry over to Bionicle, of course, seeing as there are no sets above the $20 price point in the winter wave.

On one hand, boxes are more efficient. They're cheaper, serve the same purpose, and I don't feel as bad if I throw them away.

On the other hand, canisters were a big part of Bionicle, and helped them stand out more in a sea of countless other toys. I still remember opening Pohatu Mata the day I got him and being intrigued by all the art his canister had, how you could use the lid to store all his masks as you collected them, and how you could actually store him in there as well. Not to mention: The smell, sound, and other sense that were tickled whenever you opened up a canister and looked at all the pieces inside.

Plus, they made a great thermos to show off to the other kids at lunch just how RAD you were, because you were that kid who not only played with Bionicle, you freakin' DRANK it, man!

So yeah, I would want to see them return to using canisters, although I totally understand why they wouldn't.

• Upvote 1

why is this happening

My canisters are still proudly displayed. However, I've stuffed all of them onto four shelves and there's no way I could fit any more, which I definitely would if they brought the canisters back.

Plus there's the whole environmental thing, which is an even bigger deal. All in all, as much as I like canisters, boxes make the most sense all the way around.

• Upvote 1

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I wasn't trying to pick a fight, just stating my feelings. (Which at second glance I feel could have been worded differently.) I was trying to poke fun at his logic. I know it made sense and I know all about the savings LEGO could have when they start using boxes.

Secondly, nowhere in my statement did I say my opinion mattered more than his or anyone else's. It was my take on the situation, and nothing more.

And give me a break, would you? I was thirteen when I made that name. In my defense, there is a reason they used canisters for ten years: They work.

I agree with you all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to stick out like an angry Kuurahk, but once the cans started getting Inika sized, I didn't like them as much. As convenient as they were for storage, I hated feeling compelled to keep them! They took up so much more space than just the sets alone would.

But I guess there was a good side to it: fortress building. The more cans I had, the bigger they got. Which, I guess, made up for it.

But with as many cans as I have now, I'm kinda glad they're changing up to boxes...

• Upvote 1

Eh...I'm pretty "meh" on the boxes. The bags sorta grew on me, and for whatever reason, I just liked the sound the Technic pieces made whenever you jiggled them in the bags. 
But the boxes due hearken in some pretty rad nostalgia. As for the canisters...I'm pretty glad they phased those out. They took up WAY too much room in my closet, and I ended up throwing them away before I moved into a new house. 

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

I like these new boxes. But if they are really flimsy, what are we supposed to put our cool new sets in?

Put them on display? or In a more study crate, which could potentially have the actually boxes inside to divide pieces up according to whatever scheme you have. I might have <$10 a day after 'essentials', but obtaining a nice study container of some sort that could hold LEGO pieces doesn't strike me as that hard. A one off buy even if you have to buy one.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.