Most Overrated And Underrated Bands

pls respond

What I think is an interesting fact is the fact that a study shows that when women listen to music, they look for the atmosphere. Ergo, what you'll find on their iPod is probably more heartfelt and authentic to their feelings. As for men, when they listen to music, they look for the technicalities. And I can attest to that. I'm a guy, but when I listen to music, I go for the mood. What is the message? What does it make me feel? However, most of my guy friends they single out the drum rhythm, or the guitar and et cetera. It's kinda funny actually. They're drumming along while I'm reaching out to what it makes me feel and how it affects me. Does anyone agree with this study?

I'm right smack in between. I listen a lot for the instrumental composition, but simplistic songs can also win me over if they have the right blend of emotion and instrumentation (example: "Someone Like You" by Adele and "The Scientist" by Coldplay). I'll only single out, say, drum rhythms or et cetera if they're meant to be the focal point (like in "Good Life" by OneRepublic); this has the added effect of letting me look past less-than-par lyrics if they aren't meant to be the focal point of a song (examples: "Everybody Loves Me" by OneRepublic and "Can't Stop" by Red Hot Chili Peppers).

overrated: sublimeto quote Barney Stinson, "what was that one reggae song that goes 'unka-chunka unka-chunka'? oh, wait, that's ALL reggae songs".Reggae is the most boring genre of music, and sublime is a reggae band that it seems only ever became popular because they wrote a song about pot. (which also seems to be the reason tool suddenly went from terrible cult-following band to terrible overrated band)

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

You know, I'm finding it quite humorous that everybody's considering the actually good music overrated, when nowadays you could probably walk up to a teenager and they'd have no clue who Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix is. Some people might, but it depends on their roots - if their parents listened to Hendrix and liked him, then their kids are bound to listen to him and like him, too.Rant over, let me get back on topic. Overrated? People like Eminem, Avenge Sevenfold, and Linkin Park. I'm not personally saying they have no talent, but it's just my difference in opinion compared to others.Underrated? There are about ninety different bands I could name, but that would take too long. Pink Floyd, the Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Jimi Hendrix, and maybe Kasabian. Kasabian is the one modern band that has a large similarity to classic rock, and even though they aren't the best band in the world, they're actually pretty good compared to the overrated bands I mentioned.(EDIT: Yeah, some of the overrated bands are pretty bad here, but I was referring to the posts that said the Beatles and Hendrix and Clapton were overrated. All the other ones? Yeah, I'd probably agree with them.)

Edited by Peach 00

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

overrated: sublimeto quote Barney Stinson, "what was that one reggae song that goes 'unka-chunka unka-chunka'? oh, wait, that's ALL reggae songs".Reggae is the most boring genre of music, and sublime is a reggae band that it seems only ever became popular because they wrote a song about pot. (which also seems to be the reason tool suddenly went from terrible cult-following band to terrible overrated band)

False.

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

NEVAH. I just don't get why people think they're so great. Most of their songs don't do anything innovative, all they do is make it... loud and charismatic. But it's NOT charismatic.

Not a single true word in that sentence.-Dovydas
Well someone sounds like a fan. I backed up my view, would you repay the currency?

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

NEVAH. I just don't get why people think they're so great. Most of their songs don't do anything innovative, all they do is make it... loud and charismatic. But it's NOT charismatic.

Well someone sounds like a fan. I backed up my view, would you repay the currency?
How are 30 Seconds to Mars' songs charismatic and then say that they're not charismatic?

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Pink Floyd are NOT underrated. I don't listen to them at all and I'd rather not, and I know Pink Floyd are not underrated. They're widely known and appreciated, and they deserve the praise they get.

Well they aren't but they aren't necessarily overrated, honestly. You ought to, because they are a really awesome band. But when I mean underrated, I mean underrated nowadays. Back in the classic rock age they were widely acclaimed for their music, but nowadays, teenagers don't necessarily care for them. =/ But yeah, they do deserve every ounce of praise they get, and I'd recommend them to anybody.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

How are 30 Seconds to Mars' songs charismatic and then say that they're not charismatic?
a) No. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png what Spawn said.c) You haven't backed up your view. You just said arguments that were NOT backed up. Therefore, I will do the same just below.d) they're definitely better than Lady Gaga.-Dovydas Edited by Dovydas the Nerevarine

You can't compare them to the lowest of the lowest. Justin Bieber is better than dog poop, what's your point? I know for a fact that Jared Leto has a HUGE ego. At a concert here in Norway, he rubbed fruit all over himself and threw it to the crowd. Oh, and drank water just to spit it on the crowd. Apparently, he likes to cosplay King Midas. And most of the music I've listened to, because I wanted to know what the big deal was, was quite similar to each other. A lot of soaring guitar, loud vocals and lots of background vocals or a choir even. I mean, it's great for reaching out to the crowd and making them sing along, so in that sense it's charismatic, but I like people who can challenge themselves vocally and musically. Even Avenged has a lot of this stuff. A lot of the time, I hear them use the exact same guitar and exact same vocals on a lot the songs. I know this because one of my friends is a huge fan. And yeah, I have no problem admitting the lead vocalist is a great vocalist, and Gates is a talented guitarist, but doing the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over *gasp* and over and over is BOOOORING.

Not gonna argue with you on Jared's ego, because the dude's a major tool.But according to your argument, anything that sounds vaguely similar to another song is overrated and unoriginal.

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

False.
lolnopeumad?
This topic so far

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

Overrated: Skillet, definitely. Some of my friends actually get defensive when I mention I'm not particularly fond of that band, as if it were some kind of holy cow. >_<Underrated: Hm....I'm tempted to say Manic Drive, although I can see why they might not fit some people's tastes.

Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

^ oh god yes Skillet is overrated. they are not good, so generic.I'd say an Underrated band would be Strawhorse. They released only one album that is so rare that I can't find it anywhere. How on earth did a band that got 2 songs featured in ATV Offroad Fury not get anywhere? I had to dig hard for those tracks, but eventually I downloaded the whole album. unfortunately the tracks aren't as high of quality as I'd like :/

This topic so far

Vs.

one of my all time favourites is actually rather underground- those people being fortune family. a few of their tracks (the one that immediately comes to mind is take me away and to a lesser extent, my energy) are just insanely intelligently, passionately written songs, but still the rap industry is owned by people like lil wayne and everybody else who's more doped up than charlie sheen fanboys.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

False.
lolnopeumad?
Nope. Just trying to get you to see the severity of the lies you're spreading.

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

if i'm understanding it, i'll use your logic, bb: all love songs are terrible and boring if you aren't in love. does that sound like something you'd say?most reggae music and the slower, more soothing rap songs (usually about cannabis or whatnot) are written to appeal to people under the influence or whatever subject is in question.so unless you're just saying that no reggae artist should be popular, i'm going to kindly ask you why you hate love songs.

I've never understood why people take music so seriously. I guess it's no different than taking any other interest seriously, but personally I've never really cared about music at all.Anyway.I'd say most popular music is both underrated and overrated. Whenever I listen to music it's usually just whatever's on the radio at the time, and I wouldn't say I actually like most of it but it's usually at least decent enough to make me not want to turn the radio off. Obviously there must be a lot of people that like it or it wouldn't be so popular, but whenever I see anyone on the internet discuss popular music, they act as if it's always absolutely, unbearably terrible.Also, classic stuff tends to be really overrated. A good example of this is the Beatles. I get that they were really important and influential and all, and I respect them for that, but I really don't see the appeal in their music at all and I don't see what's wrong with that. Of course, this doesn't just apply to music - every time I see someone say that the original Legend of Zelda is the greatest game of all time, I want to bash my face against a wall repeatedly.Something else that makes me want to bash my face against a wall repeatedly? Country music. I'm going to have to say that country is overrated simply because somewhere in the world, someone must like it. And that someone is one person too many.Sometimes it seems like everyone on the internet is a hipster except for me. Also, I'm kind of a hypocrite in case you couldn't tell. =/

RksnKgM.jpg

if i'm understanding it, i'll use your logic, bb: all love songs are terrible and boring if you aren't in love. does that sound like something you'd say?most reggae music and the slower, more soothing rap songs (usually about cannabis or whatnot) are written to appeal to people under the influence or whatever subject is in question.so unless you're just saying that no reggae artist should be popular, i'm going to kindly ask you why you hate love songs.

that's totally not the point that i was trying to get across at all. clearly you didn't read my post very well.i stated that they all sound the same. as in the beats are redundant and boring. that has nothing to do with the lyrics.
This topic so far

Vs.

so you encourage a nation being driven by pot?

This topic so far

Vs.

i'm only making weak generalizations on your post based on snippets of what you said whilst ignoring the important parts. similar of how you ignored the very first line of my reggae post where i very clearly mentioned that the genre is dull because the songs all sound the same. yet instead you focused on my comment about their subject matter. and for your information, i don't hate love songs, because they actually vary in sound, something that can't be said about reggae music or tool songs.

This topic so far

Vs.

Hey, let's discuss Lindsay Lohan instead! What's more creepy about Lindsay Lohan? Her teeth or her hands? Her teeth or her hands? Her teeth or her sister?If you haven't seen the photos, Google them. Those girls really aren't that attractive.But before we judge them, we must remember that they could very well have a disease that drastically alters their faces!Thumbs up if you get what I'm referencing.

Edited by The Change

Quick question. Why do people throw numbers or symbols into their names when they clearly don't belong there? For example, a 9 looks nothing like the letter i it's replacing, and even if it did, it doesn't go there. I'm going to insist on pronouncing these peoples' names as Tech Nuh-nine-nee and Ke-money-huh and stuff like that until I get a very good answer.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

if they don't have unnecessary numbers in they're names then how else will we know if they're cool? :rolleyes:

This topic so far

Vs.

tech n9ne looks cooler than tech n9ne. i think it was mentioned earlier in the topic that flashiness sells. ergo, let's all be flashy.asking that isn't much different than asking why do artists use a stage name.

Edited by ~JC~

tech n9ne looks cooler than tech n9ne. i think it was mentioned earlier in the topic that flashiness sells. ergo, let's all be flashy.asking that isn't much different than asking why do artists use a stage name.

No, they both look equally silly, largely because they're identical, but also because 9 is a number, not a letter. And anyway, what the bugger kind of name is Tech Nine? The only thing it tells me to expect about the dude is auto-tune and that he's the ninth in a series of musically identical and genetically identical clones. If that isn't the case, then it isn't a very good stage-name, now is it?I understand stage-names. David Bowie's David Bowie because he liked Bowie better than Jones. Bob Dylan's Bob Dylan because Robert Zimmerman didn't quite have the right ring to it. Jay-Z's Jay-Z because it's catchy. And makes sense as a stage-name. Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom