Would You Consider 2009 to be a Soft Reboot?

This is just something I've been thinking about the past few days... do you consider the 2009 story year, considering it was a new world with new characters and an almost entirely new story, to be a soft reboot?

A soft reboot is when a story takes an entirely different direction while not completely obliterating past adventures or stories... generally they have new characters, or a new location, or take place during a different time. These new adventures take place in the same world as the previous incarnation of the franchise, though.

For instance, I think the 4th Transformers film has been described a soft reboot. It doesn't say the last three films didn't happen, but the trilogy was deliberately ignored/downplayed in order to focus on the new story. 

A hard reboot (that's just a plain ol' reboot) would just be a completely new story, like Bionicle 2015.

So: was 2009 a soft reboot? Or at least intended to be?

On the one hand, we started off on Bara Magna with new characters and an unfamiliar location. The only tie to the earlier story was that Tarduk saw the Red Star once. Summer came around and Mata Nui crash-landed through the Ignika, a direct tie to 2008. Still, though, previous storyline events were played down immensely, and references to the Matoran Universe in The Legend Reborn were scant, aside from Mata Nui saying he wanted to go home and save his people from a great evil.

On the other hand... just one year later the two stories tied together in 2010. And then the end.

Keep in mind that the original Bionicle storyline was supposed to go on for much longer (remember the Bionicle 5 script Farshtey posted on his blog?) so it's worth considering that as well.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

I'd definitely consider BIONICLE 2009 to be a soft-reboot of some sorts, seeing as we got a brand new world with brand new races and cultures.  I'm assuming that, along with the stagnant inika-builds kind of led to declining BIONICLE sales.  That and the fragile limbs.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nekka  Banar  Moku  Savok

I would consider it a soft reboot. As you said, it had new characters and new locations, but it didn't erase what happened in the previous eight years of the story. Even when Mata Nui did arrive on Bara Magna, it wasn't really necessary for newcomers to the story to know about his past and that of the MU. 

So yes, I do think of it as a soft reboot.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Yes, I think that's exactly what Lego was going for. But unfortunately they had to wrap up the story the very next year, so we didn't see very much of the story take place on Bara Magna as we did in the Matoran Universe and Aqua Magna.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Very soft, yes. But I wouldn't really use the term for it. It was LEGO and/or Greg that called it a reboot, and that choice of wording has caused confusion since. And plotwise it only really came up because Mata Nui would be landing there and taking over the prototype giant (which was even foreshadowed right away due to the map showing the pieces of that), which was the natural storyline progression from 2008's end, and Bionicle had had changes of location naturally in its past years. So it was just new planet instead of new island, basically. Different, but not enough to where I would prefer the term reboot be involved.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

No. 

They intended it that way, but it didn't turn out that way. 

Yeah, I kind of agree. The first half embraced the whole "soft-reboot" idea, but there was a lot of information in the latter half that directly connected the two universes together. Plus, 2010 culminated in the two stories converging, which was way too soon after 2009 to consider it a true "soft-reboot".

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg