Roll To Dodge

Dapper I Guess

Gray text may be changed or removed later.

Some of you may have heard of a game titled Roll To Dodge. I was rather surprised to see that it isn't here, so I thought I would share it with you. The basic concept is that RTD is an RPG in the same vein as Dungeons and Dragons or Pathfinder (albeit much more free-form), but here, the outcome of almost everything is decided by the roll of a six-sided die (or random number generator, as the case may be).

The rules are as follows:

Conduct:

• General BZPower rules apply here. Keep it clean, guys.
  • It is in poor taste to attack other players for no legitimate reason. You are allowed to do this, but don't complain if your target and all of his friends retaliate and kill your character.

Joining the game:

• Names are not required. If you do not give a name, your character will be referred to as the screen name you have when you join.
  • strongly recommend giving me a Class of some sort (Wizard, Soldier, Medic, et cetera). Doing so will determine your starting equipment and basic abilities. Not doing so is basically saying, "Surprise me." Your Class should fit with the setting; a magic-wielder would be rather out of place in a science fiction setting, for instance.
  • Additional information- such as age, sex or appearance- is not necessary, but you may include it if you want to.

Playing the game:

• To play the game, you will give commands for your character to carry out (i.e. ">Attack the [noun]", ">Persuade [noun] to [verb]"). Success or failure will be determined by a dice roll.
  1. Epic Fail: Your action was not performed, and backfired horribly.
  2. Fail: Nothing happened.
  3. Partial Success: You didn't completely succeed. The exact degree of success is determined by the GM.
  4. Success: The action was executed adequately.
  5. Epic Success: The best possible outcome- your action was performed in the most positive way possible.
  6. Overshot: Though the action was performed, it still backfired due to being too effective, if that makes any sense.
  • When your character is threatened, they will make a Dodge roll to avoid or nullify the danger. The Dodge Roll uses the same principles listed above.
  • There are Free Actions that do not require a dice roll. These include traveling from place to place, respawning from death, and having a conversation. There are also Futile Actions, which always result in an Epic Fail. These are self-explanatory, and you will recognize them when you see them.
  • Your commands will be grouped into one Turn, which occurs every few days, or after all players have given commands, whichever happens first. I am absent on most weekends, and have an unpredictable schedule, so I may end up on hiatus. If one of the two conditions has been met while I am away, a new Turn will be posted upon my return.
  • Conversation with Non-Player Characters- NPCs- will be counted in Turns. Conversation with other players will not; you may have a long discussion with other player character in between Turns, depending on the current situation.
  • Separate your Out-Of-Character text from your dialogue and commands with "OOC:" as needed.
  • If your character dies, you must wait until the following Turn to respawn. You may respawn whenever you want, and can choose to be revived as a different Class and/or person.

Gear:

• There are Consumable items, which disappear after use; food, medicine and explosives are all Consumables.
  • All players have Equipment (see Classes under "Joining the game"). Equipment is your apparel and weapons. You can find better gear by scavenging it from the battlefield or finding it in various containers.
  • There is a rarity scale for Consumables and Equipment alike. The scale goes: Common, Uncommon, Rare, Unique and Epic. Gear of higher rarity will not necessarily be more effective, but certainly more cool.
  • The Equipment you start out with is your Default gear. When you die and respawn, only your Default Equipment will remain. There may be a way to make something you find into a Default item, however...
  • At any time, you may ask to look at your current inventory. You can also analyse any specific item. You may have to roll, depending on what you intend to examine.

Game Master notes:

• The Game Master (currently Lance Constable Vimes) has the final decision on everything. His or her word goes. No exceptions.
  • Should the GM be gone for an extended length of time (2 weeks or more), the players may elect a new GM to take his or her place.

Current Setting: Steampunk/Weird West

Current GM: Lance Constable Vimes

Players:

(Prowl) Archer the Bandit | Main Street | $5

(Unassigned) Barret the Sheriff | Main Street | $40

(Quisoves) Eustace the Medicine Man | Main Street | $1

(Shadowhawk) Killoe the Drifter | Main Street | $10

Unit the Mechanic | Main Street | $8

Edited by Lance Constable Vimes
  • Upvote 3

Back for a nostaliga trip, I guess.

This could be fun... How is the dice roll going to be determined?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Prowl wants to ride him one of these:

Great Leonopteryx

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I have no idea if we are or not. I just threw the idea in there to see if I got a bite... :P

Onua.png

I don't know what steampunk is, but sounds painfully too hot... :P

Onua.png

I'm not completely sure about the mechanical horses, but yes, I can involve steampunk in the setting if enough players like that idea.

Should we start a vote, or wait a bit longer?

I think you'd do best to start voting, We've got a decent number of players, and more will likely flock here if this round is a success.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

The OP (Original Post) has been edited. Please make a note of it.

You may now submit character profiles. The setting is "Steampunk Weird West".

OKAY CLASSES: 

• Anything that would fit in a Western setting- Gunslinger, Cowboy, etc.
  • Magic-users, within reason- Wizard, Healer, Summoner, etc.
  • Swordsmen and other users of old-fashioned melee weapons
  • Stealth-based classes- Assassin, Thief, etc.
  • Classes with mechanical expertise- Mechanic, Combat Engineer, etc.
  • Other classes not listed above, if I give you the go-ahead
Edited by Arsene

Some questions:

Are there profile forms, or do we make our own?

Could we have a few details about the level of the steampunk technology? Are there airships? Mechanical horses? Clockwork prosthetics? Exo-suits? Mechanical computers?

Would you allow mechanic/engineer classes?

~Unit#phntk#1

• Yes and no. I strongly recommend you give me a class, but other details are not needed.

I have only recently begun brainstorming. There will very likely be steam-powered firearms and humanlike automatons. There may be mechanical animals, including horses, and exo-suits are a possibility.

Yes, adding that to the list now.

I'm still here. Just waiting on a plot or what not so I know what type of profile to compile...

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

Onua.png