Set Review: 75113 Rey

Rey head

You've seen her in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but she is a tad hard to find on the toy store shelves. Look no further, for LEGO has your Star Wars Rey action figure covered. Today BZPower reviews the Rey constraction set, with her staff and gun in hand, goggles on her head, and some action features snapped in to top if off. Is she worth your credits, or should she stay on Jakku? Read, and watch, on to find out.

View the full article

As much as I liked Rey's character and design, I only bought two of these sets for the parts. Seriously, all those tan, dark tan, and dark brown shells are amazing, not to mention the recolored Technic bits. Also, that cloth piece makes a wonderful Turaga robe.

• Upvote 3

Woulda loved to have seen her without the headwrap seeing as she only wears it for a small part of the movie. Ah well. That blaster is fantastic in its simplicity, though. Really dig it.

Edited by Ta-metru_defender

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

The lack of a lightsaber is understandable, since she already has two other weapons (and truth be told, I prefer the variety offered by a figure with a non-lightsaber melee weapon). Like TMD, however, I wish she had appeared without the headwrap, since not only does she only wear that for a short period in the movie (long before she's gotten the blaster, which by the by is a really good representation of the one from the movie), but it makes her head piece less versatile AND limits her head's posability (unlike Finn, she can't actually tilt her head upward, which among other issues spoils my hopes of making a Technic/Constraction scaled version of her speeder for her to ride, since she can't lean into the seat properly with the headwrap). Also, her head mold is not quite as accurate to the character as Finn's—the addition of Daisy Ridley's freckles would go a long way.

Still, she remains one of my favorite Star Wars buildable figures and is also a great parts pack. I can't complain about that!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Woulda loved to have seen her without the headwrap seeing as she only wears it for a small part of the movie. Ah well. That blaster is fantastic in its simplicity, though. Really dig it.

Yeah, while the head with headwrap looks nice, it somewhat limits the neck articulation as well as the part's versatility in MOCs. Without the headwrap it would've been easier to use the head as a generic head for non–Star Wars creations, much like Finn's, Obi-Wan's, or arguably even Luke's (though aesthetically his is the weakest of the four). Also, it's a bit peculiar that she has the headwrap (which she only had on Jakku) as well as the blaster (which she only had on Takodana), though that's not a huge issue.

I think the blaster and staff are very well realized, and I do not totally mind the lack of a lightsaber since she has two other weapons. Her outfit, too, feels very authentic, even though the colors are a bit off from the movie version (in which her pants were a darker color than her top rather than the other way around). Some concept art of Rey does have the colors more like this constraction figure, which leads me to wonder what the development time for it might've been.

The biggest drawback of this set not mentioned in this review, as I see it, is that unlike Finn, Poe, and the First Order Stormtrooper, she does not have System parts to fill out the back of her shins. However, on the plus side, the alignment of her thigh shells makes her knees less knobbly-looking than those of Finn and Poe. And the $5 lower cost than Finn or Poe makes cut corners like that more forgivable IMO. And it would be easy enough to get the System parts you would need from other sets.

Her proportions are generally very lifelike and feel accurate to the character. Aside from her head, she has very good articulation. She also offers some very useful parts for building original creations. I appreciate that LEGO has treated the Rey character with respect throughout their Star Wars product line, since there have been so many issues with other toy companies having her play second fiddle to male characters like Finn or Kylo Ren. Overall, this is the LEGO Star Wars buildable figure I'd be most likely to recommend to others. Good review!

Edited by Aanchir

This set looks really cool. As others have said, I don't mind that she didn't come with a lightsaber. I think she still looks really good with the weapons that she has with the set. I wasn't thinking about getting another Star Wars constraction set, but I may get this one if I see it in a store.

Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

she is a tad hard to find on the toy store shelves.

I disagree with this entirely. Every store I visit has several copies of her.

Could be that he's referring to the fact that many other toy companies excluded Rey from their merchandise. In my experience, at least, the Rey CCBS set was hard to find in January, but it's been more widespread lately.

Rey is definitely my favorite of the Star Wars CCBS sets so far. The shaping and proportions work well, thanks in no small part to the use of the cloth. Do wish we had a better head, but this is probably their method of not creating a "girly" character or something. (I mean, it's the first CCBS female head mold we've seen out of Star Wars and Super Heroes. Chima and Bionicle don't count in this regard. :P ) I don't mind that they swapped out the lightsabor for the staff (I think she uses the latter more anyway) but I wish the staff had been beefed up a little bit... in the model it feels too skinny and short to me.

Thanks for the review!

:music:

:music:

Something I didn't see mentioned is that the sculpt of the new back piece limits all neck articulation. I have Kylo Ren and Finn and they can't even turn their heads to the side.

While Finn's neck articulation is somewhat limited, I'm not totally bothered by it. Because of the way his neck joint is molded, he can still tilt his head back about 45 degrees and turn his head around 30 degrees to the left or right. Rey's neck articulation bothers me more because she can't really tilt her head back at all. So if, for instance, you wanted to build a version of her speeder scaled to this figure, you wouldn't be able to pose her correctly on it because of the jockey-like stance she's supposed to have when riding it. This would not have been such a serious problem if she didn't have the headwrap.

Overall, with how the gearbox is constructed, I can't think of any way that a combination neck joint and back plate could have been created effectively without these kinds of limits on articulation.

I figure part of the reason for the head wrap is that Rey's row of "buns" would be awkward to mold into the head piece, from a design and/or durability standpoint.  Jango's head has that weird stubby rangefinder that doesn't look very good (I wish it had been a separate piece that could move) that they really had to include, but at least with Rey there was a way around that sort of oddness.  Granted, it makes some oddness on its own, but of a different kind.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

she is a tad hard to find on the toy store shelves.

I disagree with this entirely. Every store I visit has several copies of her.

Could be that he's referring to the fact that many other toy companies excluded Rey from their merchandise. In my experience, at least, the Rey CCBS set was hard to find in January, but it's been more widespread lately.

Actually, she was the most plentiful in February. I guess that Ben lives in an area with very little Rey shipments.

Edited by Ghidora131