If There Won't Be Anymore Story Updates....

We all have noticed that there has been a lack of story updates due to Greg F being busy with his child and stuff that. This could mean the end of the Bionicle story.My question is: If Greg won't update the story, we should continue it here on BZPower. We could hold contests for who could write the next chapter, and then we'd vote on it, just like how we do with canonizing sets.Of course, we have to run this by Greg first, and there might be some copywrite problems, but I'm talking long team here.

In the past, BZP has had contests to integrate stories or characters into the canon, so this sort of thing wouldn't be unprecedented. However, at the end of the day I can't see any way of it being "official" - there's just no way LEGO would essentially hand over a franchise, even a dead one, to a fandom.Which means any project of this vein would be "community-official" at best - that is, we would accept it as canon, but it wouldn't be part of the official storyline, and if someday in the future Bionicle were to return Greg (or whoever would be in charge) would be able to pick-and-choose what works and what doesn't.Still, it's an interesting idea, though I also do have to wonder if there's enough interest in driving a long-term project such as this. Making something that could be "official" is much more difficult than just making a fanwork, after all.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Are you certain Lego won't allow another year on BIONICLEStory because of Greg being busy with so much other stuff? I'm sure they're fully aware of what he's been doing.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Buying franchises is an expensive prospect. Anyone got 200 million? GregF can't even talk to us. Though I suppose if I had that kind of money, I would use it to bribe the King of Bionicle into making an update as opposed to talking about fan-created story. But seriously, I think this is a bad idea, because we cannot even get GregF to approve what we are doing, and their would be long posting wars over what should be "community canon" and what isn't. Then when Lego brings Bionicle back and stomps all over it, people will be furious that whatever story they have written isn't part of the real canon, confusion would ensue...No. Please no.

Does LEGO need to approve something as canon in order for you to think it "official"? If canon BIONICLE story is dead, that's good news for me - now I can create my own endings to TYQ and TPTB, write my own stories, and (if everything goes to plan) eventually start a series of "New Age" BIONICLE stories, similarly to Russell T Davies's reborn Doctor Who. That's the plan, anyway. I'll have to finish Makuta Hunt first. :PBack on topic, though -- I don't think BZP should continue the story, at least not as an entire site. Look at the EM. It's a great story, a great world, but out of 20 planned Cipher Chronicles episodes, about 4 or 5 are done. I think a better system would be for each of us BZPers to move past the idea that something has to be written or approved by an authority in order to be canon, and start piecing our own, individual, idea of BIONICLE together from stories we like. :)

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Does LEGO need to approve something as canon in order for you to think it "official"? If canon BIONICLE story is dead, that's good news for me - now I can create my own endings to TYQ and TPTB, write my own stories, and (if everything goes to plan) eventually start a series of "New Age" BIONICLE stories, similarly to Russell T Davies's reborn Doctor Who. That's the plan, anyway. I'll have to finish Makuta Hunt first. :P Back on topic, though -- I don't think BZP should continue the story, at least not as an entire site. Look at the EM. It's a great story, a great world, but out of 20 planned Cipher Chronicles episodes, about 4 or 5 are done. I think a better system would be for each of us BZPers to move past the idea that something has to be written or approved by an authority in order to be canon, and start piecing our own, individual, idea of BIONICLE together from stories we like. :)

That's the general mindset I'm looking for.

TBH, I wouldn't mind if bonesiii or someone was chosen to continue the story. All I want is for it to continue. Don't really care who does it, just that it does.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

I have two minds about this. I would like to see the Bionicle storyline carry on, instead of withering away and dying like a forgotten pet, but I'm just not sure if fanon could truly become canon. It would make everything seem higgledy-piggledy and all will go topsy-turvy as different members push different ideas forward. I think the story might be better served in Greg's hands only, given he was the one who carried it forward all these years.But, um...Whatever you want to do is fine...

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Well, we're doing BNG, so why not this?

BNG is members making movies of storyline that already exists. They are not making new story, last I checked.
That project is dead, last time I checked.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

BNG is members making movies of storyline that already exists. They are not making new story, last I checked.
I wouldn't say that. I just checked BNG's ###### page and the last video they posted was from August which was a few months ago. However, that may be a sign... Edited by P962

A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

I wouldn't say that. I just checked BNG's ###### page and the last video they posted was from August which was a few months ago. However, that may be a sign...
Now that BZPower's back, I think that they might continue it.

I wouldn't say that. I just checked BNG's ###### page and the last video they posted was from August which was a few months ago. However, that may be a sign...
They tried, but apparently they had absolutely nothing to show, so the topic got closed.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

They tried, but apparently they had absolutely nothing to show, so the topic got closed.
That's what I mean. Now that BZP's back, they'll continue so that they have something to show.

I would be for BZPower to continue the story after it's finished. The Multiverse was a good idea but I don't think BZPower gave it enough support. Right now, I don't even know where to find multiverse stuff, and I never knew when they updated a chapter. I would like for a group of story nuts (lead by Bonesii of course) to continue the story through regular monthly updates. We could all give feedback and suggestions, but they would have the final say. It wouldn't just be a free-for-all, but we could have input. However, I want to make sure that GregF's finished with the story first. I know he hasn't updated it in a while, but I think we should hold off on any ambitious project at least until we get confirmation that Greg's done.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg