The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Well, no, we're rolling with it (and you don't know how close I came to typing "in" instead of "with". This is what finishing a cloud-scratching fortress in Minecraft [building, not exploring. I still don't know half of what I'm going to do with the things that aren't the throne room] does to you, people.), because it's a useful classification. I might redact the bit about the size of the planet being the deciding factor (it isn't - it's mainly just chance and whether something had the good grace to get all crumbly in that space), but other than that it's good.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Anyway, will our preference of actual science over Rule Of Cool make Battlemechs useless as well?

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Not useless, just not gods of the battlefield, either. The whole point of them, really, is to be more maneuverable than tanks - on level ground, a 100-ton tank will smoke a 100-ton mech any day of the week, but if you've got to make it through a steep mountain pass, better send for the mechs.That being said, if your civilization prefers rule of cool, they can make battlemechs their dominant ground forces all they want. Just know that if I bring in the wet navy, the air force, or big old tanks, the areas that favor those types of units will be murder on the mechs.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Saturn's rings are likely the result of a couple moons tackling each other. Jupiter has small rings, and look at how huge it is, you would think it would pull more stuff in. Parts of Nepture's rings are invisible, and possibly don't even exist. And Uranus has very faint rings. Gas Giant and Ringed Giant feels redundant. To me, it looks like all rings are the result of collisions on the part of the planet's moons, so the planet itself is not special in some way because it has rings. It's just that Rings like Saturn are not common. For that matter, those ring's will not be their forever.EDIT: Just did some research, I was wrong about Neptune's rings. They are all there, it's just that they are more clumped in some places. Couldn't remember all the details. My point still stands.

Edited by Crogenitor Evex
They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

Yeah, but the classification will remain there in a modified form, because the material that is in the rings could be useful, and needs to be taken into account, and anyway I don't feel like bothering to remove a whole planet classification.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Me, I personally say lump the infantry costs into dropships, but then it brings up logistics problems. Notably, if you fit a thousand troops into a dropship, you need a thousand of them for a million troops. We're talking planetary invasion here; you're going need several million if you want to take any decently defended world.So, maybe make dropships a background transport, something like I did with Strith, then pay for troops per the million or ten thousand or something like that?

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

You're forgetting that troops won't only be used for invasions. If someone invades your planet, you're probably going to want to have troops already there.I'm following the "Keep It Simple, Stupid" method here. Military costs are military costs. Dropships are relatively cheap. So are troops. Dropships are separate from troops.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Fair point.Question; how would robosoldiers come into play? You can pump them out of the assembly line in the thousands per week, and they don't have to be the stupid droids from Star Wars; you could very quickly zerg rush someone with utterly loyal mechanical minions.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

They'll be more expensive to produce than normal soldiers (though not by much, in the grand scheme of things) and will be less clever than regular soldiers.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

EDIT: waitaminuteStarscape failed? I thought you guys had it all sorted out!

It didn't fail. It was going great; then in a surprise twist no one saw coming, Xom rage quit. Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

New idea?On the bright side, IL3 is going be run by Rover, so there's a much less chance of ragequitting and a better chance of a logical person in power.

voidstars.png

Pffft, logical. Who needs logical when I've got... wait, yeah, reasonable's the same thing.Anyway, running Starscape was a rather stressful job. Most people would have ragequitted at some point.But, yeah, I've been spending the time since Starscape imploded hammering out what's basically the next iteration. Less numerical rigidity, less absolute focus on warfare in the planning of it (Because neither IL nor Starscape ended up being entirely about warfare anyway), more allowances for things like trade.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Doesn't Taoism fall under the 'still practiced today' rule?

voidstars.png

Native American religion isn't that popular nowadays either. Yeah, there's still some who practice it and more who honor it, but from what I can tell it's not really practiced that much.Methinks if Taoism goes, then Cherokee and/or Iroquois mythos should as well.

voidstars.png

Taoism isn't declining because the people who followed it were culled, though :rolleyes:On a less guilt-trippy note Native American myths are a pain to research. Its all very well for you to want Iroquois myths included, but you do realise the Iroquois were actually at least five different (albeit allied) tribes, right? Each one with their own myths, plus variations on core myths. You get in a tangle very quickly

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Really I'd recommend creating several different original pantheons who are not exactly a specific real god, and then saying that said god has been worshiped under different names and portrayals throughout the years. Ares and Mars being two aspects of the same god.Also, please don't cast Hades or any other God Of Death as evil; death is Lawful Neutral.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Also, please don't cast Hades or any other God Of Death as evil; death is Lawful Neutral.

Mythological figures are subject to interpretation. Your interpretation is not law.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I know its officially recognised by China but from what I've looked at it wasn't really one of the popular ones. I think its far outstripped by Buddhism.Also I've seen elements of Taoism incorporated into other pop culture, much like Shinto, so I thought it was fair game

Both Shinto and Taoism are still practiced in Japan and China respectively.What do you want to know? Edited by Am I Poplar Yet?

Tumblr: Where facts and logic go to die.

Taoism isn't declining because the people who followed it were culled, though :rolleyes:On a less guilt-trippy note Native American myths are a pain to research. Its all very well for you to want Iroquois myths included, but you do realise the Iroquois were actually at least five different (albeit allied) tribes, right? Each one with their own myths, plus variations on core myths. You get in a tangle very quickly

I'm well aware, considering I have ancestors who were alive and subject to said culling. :| Ultimately it doesn't matter how it happened, simply that it isn't practiced that much today. As Wrack points out, Shinto and Taoism are both still practiced to this day, so if they go through, Cherokee and Iroquois should go through as well, IMO.I figure you and ToA would do what me and you were doing do for the mythos RPG we were planning; take the various scattered myths, generalize and average to get a result. My excuse was going be that the gods were simply viewed differently, and their personalities and forms shifted over time in their respective regions/sphere of influence.A pain to research, but I was in the middle of doing said research before we gave up on the idea.Also, Xom, while I agree Hades is bagged on way too much, when his only crime I can think of was kidnapping his wife -which, in those times, was accepted; he later made up for it even- and then cheating on her to see if she really loved him. After that he's got a spotless record, so compared to his more... active brothers he was a saint. Point being though, some gods of death were in fact evil. Set wasn't originally evil but did eventually morph into an evil god. So some death gods will be evil. Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

On the whole, I think that it's better for fiction to not portray gods with Good-Evil alignments, because you can always look at things differently. To take a fictional example, Khorne, from Warhammer 40,000, is the Chaos God of blood, slaughter, warfare, and death, but also of Honor, Martial Combat, and Bravery. He's generally portrayed as evil because the story is told from his enemies' point of view.

-Rover

Okay, great. If you want to make something with your views on the morality of mythological figures, go ahead and do so. If others want the figures in their creation to be good/evil, let it be.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Personally I'd like to just say that a Religion should depend on the race and be part of their "culture."There shouldn't really be a standard religion, nor should anyone be limited. If someone wants their race to worship one diety, or someone wants their to worship 300 plus, I say let them.If i'm missing something feel free to ignore this cause i havn't posted on BZP in a long time and i merely skimmed the topic.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Basically the gods were gone for a long time, but now they're back. We'll post a draft soon enough.So, since apparently no one's experienced with Taoism, does anyone care of we cut it? And besides Aztec, is there another American mythology you'd like to see?

If I'm not terribly mistaken, someone offered to give you information on Taoism and Shintoism a few posts ago. I could have misread that, though.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Basically the gods were gone for a long time, but now they're back. We'll post a draft soon enough.So, since apparently no one's experienced with Taoism, does anyone care of we cut it? And besides Aztec, is there another American mythology you'd like to see?

Yeah, Cherokee and Iroquois.So, are you still using my old draft as a backbone for the story or have you completely ditched it?

voidstars.png

how many mythologies are being used, total?if there's only ten or so being used, do we really want 3 of them to be native american? it seems like it'd hinder diversification a bit. if the number is closer to forty or fifty [i know that probably sounds ridiculous] then i can see there's more room to have similar things. you don't have both roman and greek mythologies, do you?

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

You have to cut both Tao and Shinto. Both are present-day religions.

Tumblr: Where facts and logic go to die.

Shinto, however, the Japanese are comfortable with making video games about. So I think it's okay.

We Americans made Darksiders, based kinda sorta off of Christianity.Just because someone makes a video game off of a religion doesn't mean it's ok for this site. If you gave me a day I could bring up a handful of games based off of Christianity and/or it's derivatives, but I don't see it being included in this RPG.So you're going include Shinto, something practiced today, but not at least Cherokee mythos? :|

voidstars.png

Yes, well, it appears Shinto can't bloody well be included.Cherokee still exist, and there are a number of them who still adhere to the old religious views, so it logically follows that that's right out as well.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom