The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

So... Because your family doesn't follow the old beliefs, no significant number does? Or do the ones that do just not matter?

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'm just saying, I've never met anyone who has. I really don't think it's common or widespread enough to be a factor here, maybe just the very oldest ones. But honestly, I don't think anyone's going to get offended.However, Cherokee wasn't planned anyway, until Alex brought it up. And I'll let TPTI argue for Shinto, he explained it better.

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Shinto, however, the Japanese are comfortable with making video games about. So I think it's okay.

We Americans made Darksiders, based kinda sorta off of Christianity.Just because someone makes a video game off of a religion doesn't mean it's ok for this site. If you gave me a day I could bring up a handful of games based off of Christianity and/or it's derivatives, but I don't see it being included in this RPG.So you're going include Shinto, something practiced today, but not at least Cherokee mythos? :|
just a wee bit hung up on the cherokee, are wei'd like to say that just because a video game was made in japan doesn't mean japan unanimously decided on it- bet you a dollar they got complaints. Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Why not just go the Civilization route, allow commonly worshiped religions and put a tag that says "we're gamers, not theologians, don't get upset over this!" ?Although if we allowed modern religions we'd still need to either ban Monotheist religions as a "God Of Everything" is so overpowered, or define certain aspects said gods have.

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Shoosh, you. Modern religions ain't happening. No tag about us not being theologians would make [redacted] fighting [redacted] any less offensive to some people on this site.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Would entirely fictional gods who have never been seriously worshiped by anyone be allowed? Because I would absolutely love to play as one of the Chaos Gods from Warhammer.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Why not just go the Civilization route, allow commonly worshiped religions and put a tag that says "we're gamers, not theologians, don't get upset over this!" ?

Because it won't work. You ever see any of the attempts to make a His Dark Materials topic? Most of them had to be closed because people (on both sides, mind) just would not let it lie. If we are going to do a Native American mythology then personally I'd prefer Navajo. Apart from it covering a wider area than Cherokee and Iroquois combined it means you can have mortal characters actually matching god players through the various Navajo witchcrafts

7AOYGDJ.jpg

*shrug* If Cherokee won't go Navajo is fine I guess. I'd just like to see something other than 'hah Aztecs we've got two continents covered!'.

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I wasn't assuming you guys were going have the Aztecs stretching both continents, simply that out of the two you only had the Aztecs.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

A large, extinct volcano at the center of my larger island, with large plains of farmland around it. The secondary island is rocky mountains and dense jungle on the western side, with fields of farmland on the east.

-Rover

Just going to throw this out there.I'm not an expert on Civ, much less it's builder, But you can't really get too specific with it "Extinct Volcano" wise. A lot of the geography of your island will still have to be explained/drawn, so just keep that in mind.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Yeah; this Civ map is just a novelty thing, not actually meant for detailed terrain mapping. You still need to make sure you've got your island explained elsewhere.

voidstars.png

Wait, so there's another map coming?

As specified in the the map section of the post, yes. There'll be a terrain map for the main continent, so when you guys get over there you know what's going on. For the first month or so though we won't really need it because I suspect unless someone does a colonizer rush not many people were pierce deep inland. Hence why I don't have it done already, a combination of life and school and other map making stuffs happening and the fact that we just don't need it atm.

voidstars.png

is it another rts rpq?do we need three?

Technically we could have a fantasy TBRTSRPG.But no, it's a team based RPG.

voidstars.png

I'd have to know just how heavily numerical it is. So long as it isn't table-toppy it might be good.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I mean played like a table-top game, with dice rolls, buckets full of rulebooks, and this long list of numbers you have to consult to see whether you can swing a sword or not.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I personally dislike the idea of dice-rolls in TBRPGs, but that's really just one person who wouldn't be playing. If it's a popular idea with everyone else, keep it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'll say, on the subject of dice, that I wouldn't approve a dice-roll system as such a system is not only exploitable, but also unnecessary in TBRPG's.As, like, characters in novels don't roll dice to see if they can do X.(My point being, TBRPG's are stories built around imagination where we really shouldn't need pointless number-counting devices to see if anyone can do X). I don't see why not just letting people duke it out, in a story format, wouldn't work. (Then again, I don't know the story of this game, but even if one side has to lose, then the side with the better writers and who stick to the rules and are able to reasonably succeed should be deemed winners, not pure luck).

The reason I want to test this is to see if it's a viable replacement for the eternal "I hit you" "No you didn't" problem that TBRPGs inevitably have. Actually roleplaying the fight would go down exactly like it always does, with the caveat that whether or not the attack actually connects is actually fair. It is also, to some extent, predictable (which I believe is the main complaint against dice-rolling in an RPG) because of character attributes. If one side has better writers and players, they're also more likely to get RPing XP, since I firmly believe in the Planescape Torment method of player rewarding: all paths should be equally viable. However, I don't think that players should get rewards for following the rules--it's what they're supposed to do. :P :w:

Edited by Lloyd: the White Wolf

What I don't get about the dice-phobia is it seems based in the 'we can't trust you' notion. If the GM is not involved in the combat, then people are basically accusing him/her of being biased and taking favorites. Which against a mature veteran RPer is a pretty bad insult. We're all human, but can't some of us at least be trusted not to rig the game?Not to mention I wouldn't trust a computer generated dice roll, not unless it was taken off a random thing like cosmic radiation or atmospheric disturbance or such to generate a seed. Otherwise the computer dice roll wouldn't be very fair.

voidstars.png

So basically you're saying that no GM can be trusted to roll some dice and not fudge the numbers?Thanks to reassuring me there's still people who have no trust in humanity whatsoever.

voidstars.png