I don't think we have a Gundam or Gunpla thread here so I'll make it myself.

Anything related to the Mobile Suit Gundam brand and franchise is fair game here as long as it's safe for BZP.

Talk about your favorite Gundam anime/manga/comic/novel/video game/magazine/cave painting!

Show off your Gundam cosplays! Even cardboard boxes that say "GUNDAM" on them are welcome! (I've done it myself!)

Show us your Gunpla, straight builds and custom builds of all scales and grades are welcome! Talk about Gunpla customization techniques! Got a cool backstory for your custom Gunpla? Share it here!

Post Gundam memes. Funny Gundam pictures/videos. Gundam fanart. Gundam headcanon theories. Whatever. Any and all Gundam and Gunpla content is welcome here as long as it's within BZP rules.

Anyway, about me: Grew up with Gundam Wing, G Gundam, and Gundam SEED during the Toonami days. I used to build G and some Wing models back in the day, but since I was a kid I just played with them like I would any other action figure. Got back into Gunpla when I was 12/13 after a trip to the Philippines and the massive popularity of Gundam SEED kits over there. Prompted me to start watching Universal Century stuff. Didn't watch too much Gundam anime (there's a lot I still need to see) but I was pretty consistently into Gunpla from then until I was 18 or so. Just got back into it recently and started watching Iron Blooded Orphans (I've heard the fandom whine about this one, but I'm still pretty early into it and I'm liking it so far). Also getting into the Build Fighters series, which is pretty fun.

Well, this was a long time coming.

I'm a pretty recent Gundam fan, first getting into it through the Gunpla kits back in, like, 2016.  My first was a Master Grade Heavyarms: Endless Waltz edition.  Cost me $50 and took two weeks to build, but it was worth it.  And things just slowly escalated from there.  I can actually remember the exact chronology of my Gunpla kit purchases:

• High Grade Grimoire
  • High Grade Denial
  • High Grade Stargazer
  • Master Grade Fenice Renascita
  • High Grade Hyakuren Amida Use
  • High Grade THE END
  • High Grade Gusion Rebake
  • High Grade Helmwige Reincar
  • Master Grade Shenlong: Endless Waltz edition
  • High Grade Farsia
  • High Grade Arios
  • High Grade Build Booster MkII

As you can see, I have a bit of a problem.

The latter two, I'm looking to combine and paint in order to create a Gundam version of Starscream.  (I think I've mentioned that before...)

Anime-wise, I haven't seen too much, aside from a few episodes of Iron-Blooded Orphans.  Doesn't really seem like my thing.

Well, this was a long time coming.

I'm a pretty recent Gundam fan, first getting into it through the Gunpla kits back in, like, 2016.  My first was a Master Grade Heavyarms: Endless Waltz edition.  Cost me $50 and took two weeks to build, but it was worth it.  And things just slowly escalated from there.  I can actually remember the exact chronology of my Gunpla kit purchases:

• High Grade Grimoire
  • High Grade Denial
  • High Grade Stargazer
  • Master Grade Fenice Renascita
  • High Grade Hyakuren Amida Use
  • High Grade THE END
  • High Grade Gusion Rebake
  • High Grade Helmwige Reincar
  • Master Grade Shenlong: Endless Waltz edition
  • High Grade Farsia
  • High Grade Arios
  • High Grade Build Booster MkII

As you can see, I have a bit of a problem.

The latter two, I'm looking to combine and paint in order to create a Gundam version of Starscream.  (I think I've mentioned that before...)

Anime-wise, I haven't seen too much, aside from a few episodes of Iron-Blooded Orphans.  Doesn't really seem like my thing.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning your Arios Starscream, probably in "What Are You Thinking?". I'd probably do Thundercracker or Skywarp myself, or maybe even one of the coneheads. But I love seeing Gundam kits painted as mechas from other franchises.

I once saw mockups of the RX-78-2 Gundam in a bunch of different mecha-related color schemes like Optimus Prime, Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Voltes V, etc (yes, it was from the Philippines).

Also, I can understand if IBO isn't your thing, but I'm enjoying it so far myself. I've heard that the second season is where it all falls apart, but I'll see for myself when I get there.

I'm going to be honest.

This game pretty much constitutes most of my experience with Gundam and Gunpla.

s-l640.jpg

Best $70 I've ever spent.

Haven't touched my PS4 in a while, but I'm down to check this one out. While I'm more into games that actually center around the Gundam universe/lore/etc, I do think it's cool that they actually made a game about Gunpla. Makes me wish Gunpla Battles from the Gundam Build Fighters/Divers series were real. I'd be all over it.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning your Arios Starscream, probably in "What Are You Thinking?". I'd probably do Thundercracker or Skywarp myself, or maybe even one of the coneheads. But I love seeing Gundam kits painted as mechas from other franchises.

I once saw mockups of the RX-78-2 Gundam in a bunch of different mecha-related color schemes like Optimus Prime, Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Voltes V, etc (yes, it was from the Philippines).

Also, I can understand if IBO isn't your thing, but I'm enjoying it so far myself. I've heard that the second season is where it all falls apart, but I'll see for myself when I get there. 

Speaking of Thundercracker, Skywarp, and the coneheads... if my Starscream project goes well, I'm most likely going to expand the roster and paint the High Grade Harute as Thundercracker, the High Grade Kyrios as Skywarp, and the High Grade Archer as another of the Seekers.  (Don't know which one that'll be just yet.)

I love seeing new paintschemes for Gunpla kits, too.  I once saw a Unicorn kit painted to look like the Voltron mech, and one of Optimus Prime.

I guess I just don't like the whole "child soldiers" aspect of IBO.  The opening is extremely manly, though, and I love it.

Speaking of Thundercracker, Skywarp, and the coneheads... if my Starscream project goes well, I'm most likely going to expand the roster and paint the High Grade Harute as Thundercracker, the High Grade Kyrios as Skywarp, and the High Grade Archer as another of the Seekers.  (Don't know which one that'll be just yet.)

I love seeing new paintschemes for Gunpla kits, too.  I once saw a Unicorn kit painted to look like the Voltron mech, and one of Optimus Prime.

I guess I just don't like the whole "child soldiers" aspect of IBO.  The opening is extremely manly, though, and I love it.

That sounds like a good plan. As a Transformers fan and a Gundam fan, I love it.

Also, one thing on my bucket list is to get a Unicorn Gunpla and paint it like an older main character Gundam, like the RX-78-2 or the Mk. II.

Yeah I can understand that the whole child soldiers plot isn't for everyone, but I like seeing them rise up and "raise their flag" to win the day.

And speaking of Raise Your Flag, it's one of my all-time favorite anime openings! Though the actual MV for it is weird, they're all wearing wolf mascot masks.

RAISE YOUR FLAG

[Keep screaming,]

[Keep screaming,]

[Keep screaming,]

[until your voice gives out!]

• 1 month later...

Just found a High Grade Gundam AgeII Magnum model kit that is capable of transforming. I'mma buy it, but I won't paint it into a Seeker.

In other news, painting Starscream is taking a lot longer than I expected.

Just found a High Grade Gundam AgeII Magnum model kit that is capable of transforming. I'mma buy it, but I won't paint it into a Seeker.

In other news, painting Starscream is taking a lot longer than I expected.

My local Japanese grocery store just got a new stock of Build Divers models (really just the AGE II Magnum and GM III Beam Master). Say what you want about the AGE anime, the mobile suits are pretty nice. Maybe I'll go for one.

The Build Divers anime is pretty alright. It's one of those shows where I absolutely love the setting/lore/world, but I just don't care much for the characters or their story. But I would kill to have a real-life Gunpla Battle Nexus MMO. I'd use my custom-colored GM/GM (beautiful Gunpla kit btw, IMO the best plastic representation of the RGM-79 ever) but with a good amount of extra customization parts.

About two years ago I watched the first three episodes of the original MSG TV anime and it was pretty good, I really liked the character designs and the tone the series went for. I didn't go on because of issues with my internet. When they were resolved, I felt more like catching up to seasonals and put Gundam on the back burner. After way too much procrastinating, I got back in the mood for it two weeks back, but instead of carrying on where I left off, I watched 0080: War in the Pocket. Really loved it, Christina best grill. I have the movie trilogy remaking the original series queued up for finals are over. I definitely intend to watch the original series in its full length when I have time and space for it, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The best Gundam anime is War in the Pocket. This isn't a very fun answer because it's the one about civilian tragedy and doesn't happen to feature many robots prominently, but ****** it does the "war is bad" thing best out of all the series I've seen. 

I love the classic anime too. Been wanting to get more into Turn-A and G-Gundam.

Never built a Gunpla, but my goal is to one day do a pastel pink Zaku

• 2 months later...