Is Lego Drifting Towards Mega Blocks?

Sumiki

Is LEGO drifting towards Mega Blocks?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would say both LEGO and Mega Blocks are simply getting more advanced in terms of detail. The Mega Blocks I knew as a kid were the same as basic LEGO bricks, just poorer quality plastic. And the LEGO I knew was simpler, without rich textures or color mixes, etc.And anyways, Mega Blocks in general is a ripoff of LEGO's original idea. Any expansion Mega Blocks did off of that, I would consider still basically a ripoff, and shouldn't forbid LEGO from expanding however they wish off of their own idea. :)

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I would say both LEGO and Mega Blocks are simply getting more advanced in terms of detail. The Mega Blocks I knew as a kid were the same as basic LEGO bricks, just poorer quality plastic. And the LEGO I knew was simpler, without rich textures or color mixes, etc.And anyways, Mega Blocks in general is a ripoff of LEGO's original idea. Any expansion Mega Blocks did off of that, I would consider still basically a ripoff, and shouldn't forbid LEGO from expanding however they wish off of their own idea. :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I never really liked MB's super heroes, and these lego versions bring back bad memories.just my two cents on the issue-Bane

Gentlemen, it's time to spread the word. And the word is: Panic

life is not a question of how long we live, but what we do with the life we have

BZRPG profiles

Well I'm not disagreeing with that. :P I honestly thought the LEGO buildfig superheroes didn't look very good. Overexaggerated facial features that just look cheesy, IMO. I just don't think Mega Blocks deserves any claim at all over LEGO's design potentials. I would compare them more to the failed Galidor line in style. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think LEGO is looking nothing like MB. MB's the one who copies LEGO, not the other way around. As for the second question, remember the Knights and Kingdoms Bionicle-like guys from back in the day? I think this is simply a newer version of those with a different theme instead of a MB "inspired" theme.-Mef

I handle LEGO all the time. I also handle Mega Bloks when I am forced to for work.Let me say for the record LEGO is going nowhere near Mega Bloks in terms of anything, including design. If anything, the new megabuild sets for Super Heroes is more like an extension of Knights' Kingdom, Ben 10 and Bionicle/HF, not Mega Bloks. All of those systems, by the way, are LEGO based.As for gaining all these themes? Whatever makes the original themes cheaper for us in the long run is good enough for me.

bzpsig2015.png

LEGO is nothing like Mega Bloks, at all.I admit, the superhero faces look Mega Bloks-y, but that's the only reason I voted with that.Remember, LEGO did Marvel before (Spiderman) and Mega-Bloks copied them there. (Unless I'm mistaken, and Mega Bloks had Spiderman first)

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Megablocks is only superior, in my mind, in their attention to detail in some ways.Still lower quality - but i love the Halo sets, and Loved the dragons/pirates sets way back when :P but no, Lego's not drifting towards megablocks at all.

Edited by Lord Kini Hawkeye

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Megablocks is only superior, in my mind, in their attention to detail in some ways.Still lower quality - but i love the Halo sets, and Loved the dragons/pirates sets way back when :Pbut no, Lego's not drifting towards megablocks at all.

I do agree that Mega Bloks sets are actually improving, and the Halo sets are a great example of that. Many of the ships are composed of more standardized curves, rather than specialized hull pieces fitted to only one ship. And there are far fewer color inconsistencies between bricks. Nonetheless, it still doesn't approach LEGO quality.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Megablocks is only superior, in my mind, in their attention to detail in some ways.Still lower quality - but i love the Halo sets, and Loved the dragons/pirates sets way back when :Pbut no, Lego's not drifting towards megablocks at all.

I do agree that Mega Bloks sets are actually improving, and the Halo sets are a great example of that. Many of the ships are composed of more standardized curves, rather than specialized hull pieces fitted to only one ship. And there are far fewer color inconsistencies between bricks. Nonetheless, it still doesn't approach LEGO quality.
It certainly doesn't. Nothing beats Lego!@Vorex: spider-man was lego's first, and I thought those sets were awsome. I just think it was a mistake to make constraction figures with those caricaturized faces.Anyway, this poll (that was going to be a topic) was primarily created so I could make up my mind. I do still think, however, that those faces could be improved-Bane

Gentlemen, it's time to spread the word. And the word is: Panic

life is not a question of how long we live, but what we do with the life we have

BZRPG profiles

It certainly doesn't. Nothing beats Lego!@Vorex: spider-man was lego's first, and I thought those sets were awsome. I just think it was a mistake to make constraction figures with those caricaturized faces.Anyway, this poll (that was going to be a topic) was primarily created so I could make up my mind. I do still think, however, that those faces could be improved-Bane
I disagree that the faces can be improved, actually. As it is, they're just cartoony enough to avoid dipping into the uncanny valley. If they were any more realistic it'd look like someone glued a doll's head on a Hero Factory body.I agree that they look somewhat weird, but I don't think anything can be done about that save for focusing on characters with non-human skin tones like Hulk or characters without visible faces like Iron Man or Spider-Man.

LEGO is nothing like Mega Bloks, at all.I admit, the superhero faces look Mega Bloks-y, but that's the only reason I voted with that.Remember, LEGO did Marvel before (Spiderman) and Mega-Bloks copied them there. (Unless I'm mistaken, and Mega Bloks had Spiderman first)

LEGO had spiderman first.

ummm. no.the closest building block to lego quality would probably be kre-O, and thats a stretch, the kreons have stress marks out of the box.it sort of annoys me that hasbro will throw a fit when someone copies their molds, but they almost directly copies lego's bricks, cuz that makes sense.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

No. Nothing at all like Mega Bloks. To be honest Brick-Based brands are all ripping off Lego, but they do come out with some awesome stuff that Lego would never do, like Transformers and Halo. The only construction brand that comes close to the quality and charm of Lego is Character Building (Who make Doctor Who and Military themes), and even then Lego blows it out of the water.The Lego Superheroes line doesn't seem in any way inspired by Mega Bloks, seeing as Lego did Spiderman long before Mega Bloks butted in and took the license, and I think it's only right that Lego now has the license for both comic companies as a kind of smack in the face for Mega Bloks.

No. Nothing at all like Mega Bloks. To be honest Brick-Based brands are all ripping off Lego, but they do come out with some awesome stuff that Lego would never do, like Transformers and Halo. The only construction brand that comes close to the quality and charm of Lego is Character Building (Who make Doctor Who and Military themes), and even then Lego blows it out of the water.The Lego Superheroes line doesn't seem in any way inspired by Mega Bloks, seeing as Lego did Spiderman long before Mega Bloks butted in and took the license, and I think it's only right that Lego now has the license for both comic companies as a kind of smack in the face for Mega Bloks.

I would disagree with Character Building coming anywhere close to LEGO in charm: while the figs are nice, up to now the building sets themselves have been extremely lackluster, and that should be the standard way of judging what is at its core a building toy.