R P G: Stríð Karla

Alex Humva

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: Indeed. Editing IP report to remove L-6

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: Wouldn't have helped, I don't really read IP reports unless I need the details...

-Rover

OOC: Yup, link is in the player tracking post.You're gonna love the profile on the Kalrecht.

-Rover

OOC: You have bolters already? Huh.Hm. Redacted. I can rule out nukes, it's clearly a naval craft....Ah well. Unless it has some extraordinary power, nothing worth obsessing over.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

OOC: Considering we had bolters in 1960, Alex just let me start with them. Pew-fwoosh.

-Rover

OOCMy question is, how are you guys moving the manpower for the military bases? Confiscating civilian craft does... interesting things for your people, even if you are a fascist dictatorship with a population who worships their leader like a god.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: I've got one Aerial Logistics being built; I'd presume I have some of the planes built while others are under construction, enough to move troops.Meanwhile, the Order of War can always just charter passage on civilian ships.

-Rover

OOCLP=/=Logistics. I made it clear when I saw Xom was just making LP is not the same as making logistics units.Just keep in mind that for mass mobilization, it no worky. I can see a battalion or two being moved over a few months yeah, but go overboard and the merchants guild goes on strike.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOCYes, you're our intern. I have you fetch me coffee. :P

voidstars.png

IC: GaliteaThose foreigners who visited Galitea of course carried a certain element of risk with them; there was no telling what diseases they might carry that the Astarians had no immunity to. Fortunately, the opposite was not true; the diseases in Astaria were well known; anyone who visited would, a week ahead of time, receive a cocktail of vaccines against the diseases endemic to Astaria.

-Rover

IC [standast]Upon hearing some tales from tourists, there was immediate concern in Standast about the possibility of an outbreak. Even if the tourist didn't die after all, they could be a carrier of a plague. Stan medicine was relatively behind the rest of the world due to their northern environment, which didn't exactly treat many plagues well, but there was still a rather serious concern of what this could mean. For now a few dozen Stans still left per month.

voidstars.png

IC:As the word of Galitea spread, it was likely that the city would become an amazingly popular destination; friendly populace, strange food, a completely new climate, and a night life such as Standast had never seen; dancing, music, a night's company in almost any flavor you could ask for, musical swordfights, and all sorts of other things which fit nicely with an excellent vacation. Galitea in fact had, in the last few months, developed the tourist industry beyond its former top, the fishing industry.

-Rover

IC [standast]Plagues had all but been eliminated in Standast's modern history; you couldn't exactly grow many herbs there, but nature apparently believes in the rule of balance. Nowadays the most a Stan had to worry about was feeling miserable for a few days due to a cold or the occasional nasty infection from hard labor. The Stan cities themselves were perfect for the spread of plague, at least in the mountains, everyone living in apartment buildings, crammed together on patches of flat ground. But plague had been eradicated, so it was never given much mind.It had taken months, over a year now, for the cosmic dice to fall. It began in the southern coastal cities; with spring coming things were beginning to warm up, but the days growing longer and warmer wasn't a good omen this time. The first cases came to the hospitals; a woman was found with exceptionally high fever and extreme rashes. Unlike anything the Stans had seen before she was put into observation. Then more started to come in. Others had extreme coughing fits, some with horrible headaches. Over the course of the next few weeks the hospitals had begun to become filled, diseases the Stans had never seen before coming. The first hundred died within within a week; thousands more would be following them.The plagues had begun.OOCRover chops off his arms and challenges people to a fight. I, apparently, chop off my arms and then drip snake venom into the open wound.It's April currently, for anyone curious.

voidstars.png

IC (Khanate)Khanate citizens however, beyond a few brave souls, found it difficult to adopt to the city. A large amount of the Khanate's citizens, beyond those who lived in the cities and few permanent towns, were used to roaming the plains with large parts of their clan in tow. They simply didn't adjust well to the restrictive nature of a city. It was popular enough with the urban Timurids, but many of them accompanied their wondering relatives to Khanate-controlled islands, which sported the same climate, with the added bonus of "getting back to the roots". Several Clans set up reception area's and guided tours about the islands, it was a different sort of tourism. Nothing that could be called hotels, more of a national park you could camp in, although, most national parks didn't have a military presence.Having limited to no contact with the Stans, the Khanate remained very much unaware of the plagues spreading through that nation.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

OOCI believe you typo'd there; having no contact would mean "very much unaware". :PIC [standast]More victims were pouring in. By this point the Board of Medical Research had come to the conclusion that these were foreign diseases. With no built up immunity over the years even a simple disease could cause untold havoc on the isolated Stans; why other nations weren't experiencing similar issues was uncertain, though a case of convergent and independent disease evolution could be taking place. The Stans simply didn't know, and didn't care; the death toll had reached ten thousand and was quickly working its way to a hundred thousand. Analysts were busy trying to predict the spread of the disease; if it was to make its way from the coastal cities, where merchants and tourists often came in, and made its way to the much more compact highland cities, the death toll could very easily reach the millions.Seeing no other option, the Senate declared a state of emergency with unusual promptness, and the BMR asked all nations known to Standast (currently Fillon, Astaria, and Anitalia) for information regarding diseases of similar types being shown here.OOCThe biggest two are smallpox and tuberculosis, with a variety of more minor but just as deadly to the Stans diseases being tossed in. Smallpox in this case because the Stans are just that unlucky.

voidstars.png

IC:The Astarians, not being aware of these plagues until the Stan government actually contacted them, were terrified; they recognized the diseases, to be sure, but didn't realize at first why the effects were so deadly; against many diseases there were no easy cures, and with symptoms so severe, most of what the Order of Health could offer was advice on containing the spread rather than actually treating the patients.

-Rover

IC [standast]Containment was already too late; the first cases had been reported in Ostfast, and the government was making with all due haste the **** out of there. Vaccination, it had been decided, would do nothing but kill many more, and so several cities were being put under quarantine. Using some information given by foreign parties PSAs began airing day and night, urging the citizenry to practice various methods of keeping these diseases away, namely, not sneezing on each other.There was growing notion that the demons had begun to extract their vengeance against mankind, but the religious leaders remained uncharacteristically silent. All the while, the body count was rapidly growing; estimates ranged from a few hundred thousand to nearly ten million dead when this was all said and done. With no natural immunity whatsoever, disease that small children could ward off were utterly decimating the Stans.

voidstars.png

IC:The Astarians, for the most part, had no clue how to deal with these allegations of the demonic; no one was an expert, no one even knew what to do.

-Rover

OOCI don't think the Astarians would know that the Stans are thinking that, seeing as somehow I doubt anyone's going elsewhere at the moment. The uninfected have no intention of becoming otherwise, and the infected probably aren't welcome either. Tuberculosis is still fairly nasty even when you do have some sort of basic immunity.IC [standast]Ultimately the cold was both the saving grace of the mountainous cities and its downfall. In the colder environments the tropical and temperate diseases were at a disadvantage, unable to cope with the cold. At the same time those who were infected fell more easily to the diseases, though a warm bed by the fire helped immensely with that.After approximately six weeks from the first known case, the BMR released a statement; they had just recorded the millionth death. Many received no sort of service, simply being stacked in the streets and being burned within the day. It seemed, however, that the spread of the plagues was slowing down, people beginning to take appropriate precautions. The streets were filled with people wearing breathing masks, avoiding touching things with some sort of cloth. People hadn't really entered the blame phase yet; they were simply too shocked. A million is a large number; .5% of a nation's population is a large amount. And even with all the precautions, it was still likely many more would die.

voidstars.png

1-1981 RYIC: Fillion could not help very much. They did have a rather hardy version of tuberculosis running around, but even that had become rather scares with modern science trying to exterminate it. They sent over whatever data they had on it along with an offer to send medical supplies and personnel.OOC: Gosh darn it Humva. You made me look up what those are. I don't like looking up sicknesses.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Acheron, office of Empress Calasi

drive1:users:ande:farleyfile:caliak:alessiaAlessia Caliak27 Years Old(birthday 2-15-54)Gentlelady Without Portfolio-Order of ExplorationFormerly Second Gentlelady-Order of DominionNo children-unmarriedHometown: AvalonThree cats(Lord Wulfrum Tungsten 3rd Esquire, Nimbus, Cirrus)Drinks: Coke, sword-in-the-eye, Poma. Never offer teaHobbies: Swordfighting(contender for Shortsword champion 76-was unable to compete due to injury), Basement InventingMilitary Service: 74-78, served in the 14th Avalon Infantry Battalion-exited active service to compete on the Army Shortsword Team, 75-78. Honorably Discharged 78 following a partially torn Achilles' Tendon.Additional: Romantic situation can vary by the week; subject is best avoided altogether.
Ande scanned the farleyfile; she had met Alessia twice before, once at the 1976 Shortsword championship. Ande remembered the event; Alessia had still been in the army at the time, and had been given a seat next to Ande; the best place to watch from was the best consolation Ande had been able to offer the girl. Nontheless, Alessia had not been happy at all watching an event she wanted to compete in from the sidelines, her leg held in a cast. There had been some idle conversation, but barely anything aside from the usual courtesies that were expected of the two.The second time Ande met Alessia, it had been in 1979, when Alessia was a rising up-and comer in the Order of Dominion, at a social function. Ande had barely recognized the girl, but Alessia of course recognized Ande. An Empress went through life expecting to be remembered by everyone, and it was simply impossible for Ande to recognize even half the people she met.So she had the Farleyfile to remind her about people she had met, who would expect her to remember them, like Alessia did."So, how goes the work in the Order of Exploration?" Ande asked; she'd heard plenty of answers, but more always helped."We're surveying the land on what cartographers, for lack of a better term, have named the Southern Peninsula." Ande nodded politely, expecting more. "There's a civilization, to the east." Alessia gave a dramatic pause. "We haven't initiated contact, and neither have they." The Empress gave a pause for dramatic effect, then"Send an exploration party, contact them like before. Bring along people who speak Bylan, Stan, and Anitalian; if they're not one of those three, they might know them, which'll give us common ground." Alessia nodded. "Minimal weapons, we don't want to look hostile." The explorer bit her lower lip, then nodded again. "Lead them yourself, this time. Goodbye." With a few steps and a respectful goodbye, Alessia was gone. Edited by Grapple Wizard

-Rover

OOCYeah, smallpox is pretty horrific.I love how they say "there's a civilization to the east" like it's the only one. Pretty much everything is east of Astaria. :P

voidstars.png

OOC: hahaha what is this industry report you speak ofAhem.INDUSTRY REPOOOOOOOORTProvincesX15- Drottningslandet - Capitol State - 60 IP - 30 Battalions - September 14th (Started August 16th)X16- Fastlandet, Vulkanfält - Medium State - 20 IP - 10 Battalions - September 7th (Started August 16th)W16 - Fastlandet, Isfjellkjede - Medium State - 20 IP - 10 Battalions - September 7th (Started August 16th)W15 - Fastlandet, Smalmark - Large State - 40 IP - 20 Battalions - September 7th (Started August 16th)W14 - Fastlandet, Potatisberg - Medium State - 20 IP - 10 Battalions - September 7th (Started August 16th)Total IP: 160Under ConstructionNo.Standing Military-Kuningattaren Poliisi1,000 troops-Kustbevakning1,500 troops8 SnekkjaCost: 24 IPRemaining IP: 136---Okay. Now I've got a reasonable coast guard. Umm. Hooray oceanic Switzerland?HOORAY OCEANIC SWITZERLAND, MORTAL FOOLS.Ahem. Now I need a boat in which my explorers may ride to glory. I think I deserve something with a high-rate of fire to go on this sea-cruising Cadillac, too.Vehicle Class: SN-2 LokkikalaVehicle Description: The Lokkikala takes Varangian shipbuilding to its logical conclusion. Significantly smaller than the Snekkja, the Lokkikala carries only one two-cannon turret, upon which is mounted a pair of 40mm Bålgeting repeating cannons. The Lokkikala is built for speed, and is the first craft to be designed by Varangians since the collapse of the storms. The intended function of the Lokkikala is as a high-speed craft for carrying Varangian explorers to new lands. The Lokkikala carries low-frequency radar in addition to active and passive sonar. Weaponry: 2 40mm Bålgeting repeating cannonsBuild Cost/Build Time/Upkeep: I'm guessing somewhat less than 15 IP for 6 days, but I don't want to put anything certain down, because this is my boat, so somebody else has to tell me the price.Weapon Name: WYK-8 Bålgeting repeating cannonWeapon Description: A derivative of the basic WYK-series cannon design, specifically designed to trade single-shot power for an increased rate of fire.Weapon Cost:

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Alex, that was her talking about the Kiserran colony I share a border with

-Rover

Waalrusaan Industry report. Delayed a little because I was trying to get the set up rightProvincesAivukus (V19)-Super Province-80 IP-40 BattalionsValenticaas (U19)-Super Province-80 IP-40 BattalionsPontolis (W19)-Large State (Upgrade Aug 27)-80 IP-40 BattalionsGomphotaa (V20)-Super Province-80 IP-40 BattalionsOriensarctuu (W20)-Super Province-80 IP-40 BattalionsSeeshgaad (U20)-Super Province-80 IP-40 BattalionsR13 (Island)Q18 (Island)T24 (Island)X3 (Island)W8 (Island)UnitsBuildingNational ProjectsMilitary BasesTotal IP = 480Free IP = 480Hmm, might want to start building some troops :rolleyes:Are the costs and build times still the same?IC: With no idea how to further communication with the identically-named strangers, the Waalrusaan crew just ate. The captain had other ideas though."We Waalrusaan," he said patting himself again, "We from Arctungaad," he gestured in roughly the direction Arctungaad lay, "Sail through storms all the way here." He tried to mime lightning then sailing. Some of his crew sniggered at his simple speech and terrible charades

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC: The captain of the Årvåkenhet listened carefully to the gibberish from the stranger, and, picking up on a few repeated sounds, thought for a moment on how to reply, and then cupped her hands in front of her, rocking them back and forth like a ship on the sea, and said "Årvåkenhet." She then withdrew a tightly-rolled piece of potato-based parchment, and spread it on the table, revealing a very basic map - no city names, just the vague shape of a continent. Waving her hand over the three islands, she declared the name of the place shown on the map to be Varangia.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC:Astaria finished moving their energy base off the old coal-plant and hydroelectric system, and onto the new Thorium-Reactor and Hydroelectric system. Noticeably, the ThunderLab Research Accelerator, around 20 kilometers from Acheron, had a dedicated Thorium reactor installed.

TerritoriesO-8: Super Province(80 IP)N-7: Super Province(80 IP)O-9: Super Province(80 IP)O-7: Super Province(80 IP)P-8: Super Province(80 IP)[MYSTERY PROVINCE]: Super Province(80 IP)P-11: Outpost(0 IP)[4/7]N-13: Outpost(0 IP)[4/7]Q-10: Military Base(Approaching Max Tier)M-4: Land ClaimM-11: Land ClaimN-11: Land Claim, Military Base(Under Construction)N-12: Land Claim, Military Base(Approaching Max Tier)O-11: Land Claim, Military Base (Approaching Max Tier)O-12: Land Claim, Military Base(Under Construction)O-13: Land Claim, Military Base(Approaching Max Tier)P-12: Land Claim, Military Base(Under Construction)Total IP: 480Projects:Project Reverene(50)[21/55]Project Aveline(50)[21/70]8 Boa APCs(1)[4/7]8 Boa APCs(1)[4/7]8 Boa APCs(1)[4/7]5 Viper RATs(5)[4/7]5 Viper RATs(5)[4/7]5 Viper RATs(5)[4/7]5 Viper RATs(5)[4/7]5 Viper RATs(5)[4/7]Upgrading the Q-10 Military Base(56)[4/7]Upgrading the O-11 Military Base(56)[1/7]Upgrading the O-13 Military Base(56)[1/7]Upgrading the N-12 Military Base(56)[1/7]3 Military Bases Under construction(15)[4/7]IP Use: 367Standing Military15 P-11 Crusaders(15 IP)25 Viper Tanks(5 IP)1 Kalrecht(10)2 Unallocated Logistic Points(20)1 Aerial Logistic Point(10)[9/14]1 Military Base(1)Cost: 61Total IP Use: 428/480
Edited by Grapple Wizard

-Rover

OOC: People that aren't me, either IC or get off the pot.People that are in charge of pricing my stuff, price my new ship so I can build some.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCI'll give it ten IP for six days because I think six months is still about right, even for a ship of that size.Not much to IC about. Writing the diaries of plague victims is just depressing.

voidstars.png

OOC: Dear diary, today I was pompous and my sister was crazy.Today we were captured by hill-folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.ahem.Right then, I'll build four of those. Can I bid you down to five months for the time, though? It is significantly smaller than the Snekkja, whose name means 'yacht'. If there was a limit for the size of seaworthy vessels, the gull-bird would be pushing it. Not pushing it very hard, mind, because it's definitely good for long voyages, just... it's small, okay.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCHow big is it's crew?

voidstars.png