Toa To Matoran Explanation

There have been many a theory of how Matoran become Toa, but I believe I’ve covered all the bases with this one.The number one thing that needs to be understood is that Protodermis is an (at-least semi) organic substance, accounting how organic muscle can grow when made with protodermis. Therefore all Matoran/Toa/Turaga have semi-organic armor. Protodermis responds to the Matoran’s CPU and will form to be whatever a Matoran pictures a Toa as looking like (which is a proven fact. If you don’t believe me, check it out on Biosector.)Toa energy is a trigger energy that will make a Matoran modeled to begin producing its own Toa energy which explains how one Toa can create six Toa with his Toa energy alone. The energy also causes a ‘growth spurt’ in a Matoran’s organic muscle and tissue explaining the growth (and yes, that includes the brain which allows them to trigger mask powers). And finally, The Toa energy also activates the dormant elemental energy inside a Matoran.So lets check:Armor change: checkToa energy: checkGrowth: checkElemental powers: checkMask Power: check

What are we searching for? Are we searching for anything or just randomly surfing the internet? I did that once. I found this bionicle fan site called bzpower. Whoever made it had no decorating sense what so ever.

What I really don't understand about the whole matter is that if a Matoran believes that a Toa is a three-eyed neon octopus with a powdered wig, then will that Matoran, should he or she become a Toa, turn into such a hideous monstrosity? There has to be some way around this, some Toa archetype embedded in every Matoran's brain, or something.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Seems pretty reasonable to me, especially if you're looking for something deeper than "It's basically magic." The general concept of external stimuli triggering significant biological shifts in an organism is hardly uncommon in the real world.

What I really don't understand about the whole matter is that if a Matoran believes that a Toa is a three-eyed neon octopus with a powdered wig, then will that Matoran, should he or she become a Toa, turn into such a hideous monstrosity? There has to be some way around this, some Toa archetype embedded in every Matoran's brain, or something.

Probably, though who's to say a three-eyed neon octopus couldn't make for a heck of a Toa? After all, I thought the whole point was having the heart for the role.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Monstrosity? You just hurt my OC's feelings! D=Joking aside, as far as that goes, then maybe a base-image is implanted into them as you suggested? They were supposed to be tools, so who is to say it's not "part of their programming" to have a basic toa program in their heads? (Sorry, I'm really not good with technology so I don't know how to properly explain it. ><).Although, that could also mean minor appearance changes. Kinda like the different style between Metru Nui matoran and Voya Nui matoran. Or, say the type of water a toa of water produces (as it's been confirmed Gali created the type of water on Aqua Magna as she was used to seeing that type of water, as opposed to Nokama who created more of a liquid protodermis that was found in Metru Nui). The matoran already looks like, essentially, a smaller version of a toa, so I wouldn't expect him or her to grow a second head if they think toa have two heads (hey, they beat one anyway XP).Although, that kinda puts Takanuva into a bit of a new light. Takua must have thought a toa looked like the Toa Nuva (this would go against the "implanted program" theory in my opinion) and thus he had nuva armor and similarly designed limbs despite not being a toa nuva himself (It would explain the set anyway). This makes me think it's a bit like the elemental water example I mentioned earlier. They build themselves and what they created based on what their environment is like (I suppose that's one way to look at it... Not quite sure I like that wording, though). Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

well here is something when the piraka masqueraded as toa to the voya nui matoran what would have happened if a voya matoran was to become a toa without ever meeting a real toa would they have looked like the piraka if they did change. i think that may be a more reasonable possibility than a neon three eyed octupus.i just wanted to throw that out. i do believe there must be some basic image in matoran mind that stops something like that from happening.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

well here is something when the piraka masqueraded as toa to the voya nui matoran what would have happened if a voya matoran was to become a toa without ever meeting a real toa would they have looked like the piraka if they did change. i think that may be a more reasonable possibility than a neon three eyed octupus.i just wanted to throw that out. i do believe there must be some basic image in matoran mind that stops something like that from happening.

Ah, now there is a good example! Hmm... Well, based on Takanuva's appearance, I'd assume the toa would have more of a Skakdi-like build (similar torso, maybe even an armor spine or an organic one... I'm not sure...). Though, I wouldn't expect them to have a smile and instead wear their mask (then again, their style of mask might change, as we've seen differing mask styles such as Tahu's hau vs Lhikan's hau). That really is an interesting question. Even so, that wouldn't mean the toa would have lazer eyes and be a Skakdi- they would merely resemble a Skakdi, I'd think...

So your theory is that all protodermis is semi-organic? It looks like most if not all of what else you said is already known.To that idea, well, it could have problems because of LEGO's rules of violence. It is understood that when a Toa's armor is damaged, it is non-living metal armor, so it does not violate the rules. Perhaps you mean something like a snail's shell, made by organics but not alive.There is a lot of evidence for that possibility, especially the name with dermis in it, meaning skin, and proto meaning early version of or something to that effect, and that the original EP was apparently like a body to the EP being. Still, the protodermis Matoran are made of is artificial, and there are other ways of changing non-organic things. It's possible though.

if a Matoran believes that a Toa is a three-eyed neon octopus with a powdered wig

The purpose for Greg's statement was to explain why the armor style looked different, setwise, from one series of Toa to the next, without having to resort to "just another isolated incident" mutagens, which would have gotten quite old. But the basic idea of a Toa as a humanoid was never meant to be challenged, just the superficial differences. There are other superficial differences between Matoran but the basic definition of "Matoran" is not changed.I'd compare it to that online Hero Factory creator; you could minorly change the details of armor and such but not the basic structure. The program just wasn't that flexible.

Although, that kinda puts Takanuva into a bit of a new light. Takua must have thought a toa looked like the Toa Nuva (this would go against the "implanted program" theory in my opinion) and thus he had nuva armor and similarly designed limbs despite not being a toa nuva himself (It would explain the set anyway).

That was confirmed. :) That was part of the main reason Greg used that explanation; he'd gotten used to seeing Toa Nuva so that was what he caused himself to look like.

well here is something when the piraka masqueraded as toa to the voya nui matoran what would have happened if a voya matoran was to become a toa without ever meeting a real toa would they have looked like the piraka if they did change. i think that may be a more reasonable possibility than a neon three eyed octupus.

Yes, to some extent. They probably would get spine-type things off their armor, maybe even fleshy, but likely would not have the massive teeth.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Ah, now there is a good example! Hmm... Well, based on Takanuva's appearance, I'd assume the toa would have more of a Skakdi-like build (similar torso, maybe even an armor spine or an organic one... I'm not sure...). Though, I wouldn't expect them to have a smile and instead wear their mask (then again, their style of mask might change, as we've seen differing mask styles such as Tahu's hau vs Lhikan's hau). That really is an interesting question. Even so, that wouldn't mean the toa would have lazer eyes and be a Skakdi- they would merely resemble a Skakdi, I'd think...
Well yeah i meant that he would look similar not actually become one

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Although, that kinda puts Takanuva into a bit of a new light. Takua must have thought a toa looked like the Toa Nuva (this would go against the "implanted program" theory in my opinion) and thus he had nuva armor and similarly designed limbs despite not being a toa nuva himself (It would explain the set anyway). This makes me think it's a bit like the elemental water example I mentioned earlier. They build themselves and what they created based on what their environment is like (I suppose that's one way to look at it... Not quite sure I like that wording, though).

It's obvious: makuta did the mind-wipe with the matoran spheres, thus making them (including takua) forget what toa looked like. simple as that.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

What about Toa tools? We saw Takua's Kohlii staff transform with him, how does that come about? I doubt the staff is organic, I disliked the way all the Glatorian weapons were all supposedly organic, so I'd hope that wouldn't be the case with Toa/Matoran.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

What about Toa tools? We saw Takua's Kohlii staff transform with him, how does that come about? I doubt the staff is organic, I disliked the way all the Glatorian weapons were all supposedly organic, so I'd hope that wouldn't be the case with Toa/Matoran.

I think that's what this theory is about. This one proposes that protodermis is "semi-organic". To me, it follows the same logic as toa armor changing in the transformation. It's not necessarily the object, but the material it's made of. Also, Each of the Toa Nuva had toa tools. Perhaps the tool was also a part of the image Takua had, and the kohli stick just happened to supply the material to craft a toa tool? After all, the toa metru had no items with them (aside from Nuju's eye lens if you want to count that) and they got their toa tools from the temple (If I remember correctly). What would have happened if Vakama carried around a disk launcher as a matoran, or if Nokama had a staff?Though, here's a quote from BS01 that might shed a little light on this:

Toa Tools often mutate or change with their user; for example, when the Toa Haga were mutated into Rahaga, their spears became smaller, less powerful staffs.

In other words, it's in the nature of those types of objects to change form. Perhaps protodermis being a semi-organic substance would help explain this? It's an interesting thought. Also, Takua was a kohli player, so maybe he thought of his staff as his tool? I think it would make more sense if it was his chronicler's staff instead, however.@Bulik: That's a good point, although I think Bonesiii just pointed out that what I said earlier was confirmed...Though, one thing that now kinda bugs me is the Toa Inika. They were used to seeing the Toa Nuva, yet they turned into something else entirely. Was this because of the means of their tranformation (Toa Inika aren't like other toa; they have lightning combined with their powers) or did the canisters have something to do with their appearance? Maybe I'm just over-thinking this. XD Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

I think that's what this theory is about. This one proposes that protodermis is "semi-organic". To me, it follows the same logic as toa armor changing in the transformation.
Yeah, I mostly agree I don't think the weapons are organic, but the theory would say that everything protodermis is semi-organic.Personally I would appeal back to my old "proto-cells nanotech" idea. That every molecule of protodermis is a "cyberclay" nanite (or microbot) that projects all its physics, solidity, etc. with energy fields, coded for inside the nanite. This explains everything in Bionicle protodermis-wise, including how a non-organic staff can mutate along with a living being; the code for the being and the code for the staff both change simultaneously, and the nanites rearrange themselves (and materialize more from energy).My theory does also sort of have a "semi-alive" idea, though. Although I think of it as a potential to become alive, but not yet alive and never has yet been alive.

Though, one thing that now kinda bugs me is the Toa Inika. They were used to seeing the Toa Nuva, yet they turned into something else entirely. Was this because of the means of their tranformation (Toa Inika aren't like other toa; they have lightning combined with their powers) or did the canisters have something to do with their appearance? Maybe I'm just over-thinking this.

I think the phenomenon we're talking about refers to non-mutagenic, totally normal Toa transformations. (Or normal-ish in Takanuva's case; it was a mask instead of a Toa Stone.) So yes, the lightning probably altered their appearance. The story bios of the characters hinted strongly about this when it said the lightning changed some of their colors (especially Hewkii). And we know the lightning was responsible for the masks being organic.Also, they might have just been influenced by going through Karzahni and seeing Matoran of such radically different design, and having just got new masks from there. Subconsciously they may have been thinking that "karzahni-ness" had "infected" them by taking those masks, and so they became something more similar to Karzatoran. Admittedly this would make it harder to explain why all six happened to imagine the same thing, considering they don't really look obviously inspired by Karzatoran (at least to me), so I'd instead lean towards blaming it all on the lightning. :PEdit: In fact, I'm not certain, but the bios may have mentioned their shapes being changed by the lightning, beyond just being Toa-ized, but I'm probably remembering wrong. Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Actually, The staff was probably previously organic. for instance: where did kohlii staffs come from? they were previously fishing staffs, and made in ga-koro, thus leading me to belief that they may be make out of fish bone, etc.and also, this may be a bit off topic, but this has been stirring in my mind for a while:What proof do we have that takua transformed with the kohlii stick with him? the movie? NO! greg alrady said that some things in the movie are not canon, if I remember correctly. I Think that when takua transformed to takanuva, he was holding his chronicler's staff (made by nokama, so consider the fish bone idea from before) and I bring up this set similarity:Look here at the picture of the chronicler's staff piece:Set_Chronicler%27s_Staff.pngnow look at a picture of takanuva holding his spear:Takanuva.pngif you look, both pieces (chronicler's staff and takanuva's spear piece) are almost the same: the chronicler's staff is the same as takanuva's spear, but closed like a claw. so I think that takua was holding his chroniclers staff when he transformed.now that I look back, I feel that what I just said was off topic, but whatever *facepalm*

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

It's on-topic, since it helps explain how his tool's shape came about. And I've noticed that similarity too, and I agree, he was probably holding the chronicler's staff. And mentally thought of it as opening up to become bigger (better for a Toa; again, the "mental image of a Toa" rule affecting things).

so I think that takua was holding his chroniclers staff when he transformed.now that I look back, I feel that what I just said was off topic, but whatever *facepalm*

A quote from BS01:

The Staff of Light was a Toa Tool that was once carried by Takanuva, the Toa of Light. The Staff of Light was originally Ta-Matoran Jaller's Kolhii Stick. When Jaller died before Takua, the Av-Matoran took it in his hand, and it transformed into the Staff of Light when he became a Toa.

So, the Staff of Light is Jaller's Kohlii Stick. However, I think the set designers tried to base those 2 pieces off each other.Also, I believe this is speculation, but the other mini-discussions have become very interesting and non-speculating. Edited by Paleo

Keep in mind one thing with protodermis. What was it based on? Energized Protodermis which has been proven to be living, therefore must have some organic property. It would make sense since everything in the Mu is made of Protodermis, and as there are some species that Mata-Nui created that do grow, that the Great Beings utilized this in their creation of protodermis. Vortixx for example. They have a coming of age rite of passage, so that implies that they are born, do age, and grow.As for the squid monster Toa thing. The armor of the Matoran forms to shape like what it thinks a Toa looks like. It won't grow extra appendages or shrink appendages to match the image. The muscles simply grow, they don't respond to the Matoran's mind like the armor does. If it thinks a burnak is a Toa, they'll have Burnak like armor, but they won't start walking on all fours and howling at the moon.And one aspect that I forgot in my theory. The mask change. When a Matoran begins transforming into a Toa, it's mask will recieve some of it's Toa energy, turning it into a great mask in concerns of power. However, the mask's shape changes like the armor does. When a Toa gives up or looses Toa energy, the mask is the last thing to drain. When it does, it still has some remanents of power, which makes it a Noble mask, just like a Turaga still has elemental power, just weakened due to the lack of Toa energy.

Edited by Toa Lapaka

What are we searching for? Are we searching for anything or just randomly surfing the internet? I did that once. I found this bionicle fan site called bzpower. Whoever made it had no decorating sense what so ever.

Alright, if it wasn't the chronicler's staff, he still could have been thinking of that staff when the Kolhii stick transformed. :)

Although, that kinda puts Takanuva into a bit of a new light. Takua must have thought a toa looked like the Toa Nuva (this would go against the "implanted program" theory in my opinion) and thus he had nuva armor and similarly designed limbs despite not being a toa nuva himself (It would explain the set anyway).

That was confirmed. :) That was part of the main reason Greg used that explanation; he'd gotten used to seeing Toa Nuva so that was what he caused himself to look like.
I suppose it would also follow, then, that the Toa Metru's armor resembled Lhikan's for the same reason. (If this has already been mentioned, my bad; I don't keep up with these things much).That being said (slightly off-topically), this theory makes sense to me, except for the bit about the stimulus for the transformation - only Energized Protodermis transformations were mentioned. I'm assuming that this theory also encompasses transformations by Toa power and Great Masks, but they weren't mentioned in the starter post. Edited by Architect

That being said (slightly off-topically), this theory makes sense to me, except for the bit about the stimulus for the transformation - only Energized Protodermis transformations were mentioned. I'm assuming that this theory also encompasses transformations by Toa power and Great Masks, but they weren't mentioned in the starter post.

this covers all transformations, plus the fact that there has never Energized Protodermis transformation into being a Toa, and frankly, I don't think it's possible. Toa energy is required for any Matoran to transform into a Toa. Energized Protodermis would only make a pseudo Toa Edited by Toa Lapaka

I suppose it would also follow, then, that the Toa Metru's armor resembled Lhikan's for the same reason. (If this has already been mentioned, my bad; I don't keep up with these things much).

Yes, that was the other main reason for the mental image thing. :)And yeah, EP would most likely either destroy the Matoran or make them a mutant Matoran of some kind, not a Toa.

well here's a question. When the toa inika became toa where in the world did they get the weapons/tools. I don't remember them having any tools with them except the climbing gear they had when they were traveling to karzahni. i just would like to know and somebody might say well maybe the tools were in the toa canisters. the problem with that is that is i hardly doubt they each were holding a weapon when the lightning struck. and i never have found anywhere that explains where the toa inikas tools came from.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

I don't even remember climbing gear. Not sure about that, but the stock answer of course would still be "blame the lightning." :PBut in all seriousness it seems that every time Toa are made (as far as I know) a Toa Tool is made as well, as part of the package.Going back to my nanite code theory thingy, the answer would probably be that whether there's a tool to mutate or not, the code draws on the Matoran's mental image to make one (or transform one), because having a Toa Tool is part of the template, just like being humanoid and getting elemental powers and Great Mask usage.And it shouldn't matter whether there is something to transform, because the Kolhii stick example demonstrates that new mass was added. So it's possible to materialize new matter in the process, both to enlarge the Matoran into a Toa and to alter or make a tool.

Edited by bonesiii

well here's a question. When the toa inika became toa where in the world did they get the weapons/tools. I don't remember them having any tools with them except the climbing gear they had when they were traveling to karzahni. i just would like to know and somebody might say well maybe the tools were in the toa canisters. the problem with that is that is i hardly doubt they each were holding a weapon when the lightning struck. and i never have found anywhere that explains where the toa inikas tools came from.

Matoran living in the realm of Karzahni constructed six Toa Canisters, and placed a weapon inside each of them. Jaller and his team, who commandeered these canisters to escape the realm, later claimed these weapons as their own after being transformed into Toa Inika. The same energy that transformed the Matoran also super charged the weapons with energy. These tools were later transformed by the Kanohi Ignika and one was abandoned by Kongu in exchange for a Kordak Blaster.

A la BS01 Wiki.Edit: And, Bonesiii, I'll have to disagree with you at one point. Given evidence of the Toa Metru (claiming their toa tools from the suva in the temple) and the Inika (whose tools were indeed, pre-existing) along with the fact that toa may use any tool to channel their energy through, a toa tool seems optional in the design. Yes, most, if not, every toa has a tool, but if you were going into battle, would you choose to go empty handed? (Granted, shooting fire out of your fingertips is helpful, but the elemental powers seems to be a set standard. Tools come in handy regardless). Also, Kongu no longer has a toa tool. Therefore, I say it is not "part of the package."Just adding some fuel to the discussion. ^^Edit II: Another quote I think might be helpful;

If a Matoran transforms into a Toa while holding a tool, it too will transform with them into a weapon that they may choose to use as their Toa Tool, such as in the case of Takua who was holding a Kohli Stick when he transformed into a Toa. Similarly, if a Toa transforms into a Turaga while holding their Toa Tool, it may become a smaller variation of that tool which is commonly used as a Badge of Office as in the case of Turaga Whenua.

From BS01 Wiki. Both quotes in this post are from the page "Toa Tools" for the record. Now, according to the wording of this, it looks like a matoran will only have a toa tool if they are carrying a tool as they transform (otherwise they would need to find a tool like the Metru or the Inika). Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Also, Kongu no longer has a toa tool. Therefore, I say it is not "part of the package."

Well, your BS01 quote does strongly support your conclusion, but I wasn't talking about at all times -- just in the original transformation. :)And the idea can still stand, actually; "the code" that I'm referring to is like a collective across all protodermis, which can be summed up best by the destiny system. If no tool was available, one might very well be materialized due to this system, but as long as destiny "knows" that one is available, even if they have to travel to get it, it wouldn't make a new one.

The way I wrapped my head around was that, they were created to eventually be Toa, but as a Matoran they wouldn't live long enough to be one. The Toa stone would make them accelerate in years, turning into a Toa before they died. Then, as a Toa, they would eventually be a Turaga, but wouldn't live long enough, though giving away power would accelerate into those years.Does that make sense to anyone but me?

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Shadow Guardian, are you trying to say that it's like lifestages, Matoran being children, Toa adults, and Turaga elders? Because that has been debunked, although Turaga are "translated" as elders sometimes. Most Matoran are not destined to become Toa at all, and live out their entire lifespans as Matoran. Also the lifespans appear to be the same regardless of which of the three forms they end up as.

An ordinary Toa Transformation would be their mental image of a Toa. An abnormal (COUGH INIKA/MAHRI COUGH) one would cause differences, but still basically the same since Toa is a species. Both always seem to transform or create a Toa Tool, which can bear resemblance to what it used to be, or be something completely different and unrecognizable altogether. :PKNI, your idea makes sense but I think it's incorrect, at least that's what BS01 tells me. A Toa Stone or whatever used to transform a Toa can be used on any Matoran. (Unless it's destiny-specific) Destiny just guides them to the Toa Stone or whatever. If some random fool were to accidentally give a random Matoran a Toa Stone, they would probably end up as a Toa. (But I've never heard of that happening..)As for the Matoran randomly thinking a Toa looks like something ridiculous...my guess is that they'd end up looking like a basic Toa template. (Like the Mata, who first appeared without armor) Just a guess though.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I suppose it would also follow, then, that the Toa Metru's armor resembled Lhikan's for the same reason. (If this has already been mentioned, my bad; I don't keep up with these things much).

Yes, that was the other main reason for the mental image thing. :)And yeah, EP would most likely either destroy the Matoran or make them a mutant Matoran of some kind, not a Toa.
Whoops, my bad. He did mention Toa energy, not EP.

If some random fool were to accidentally give a random Matoran a Toa Stone, they would probably end up as a Toa. (But I've never heard of that happening..)

Well, there is the fact that Teridax attempted to get Lhikan to select the wrong Matoran to become Toa and thought he succeeded in this. So at least Teridax thought such a thing was possible. That could have been just his ego convincing him he could defy Destiny (and he didn't, in the end); but then again, Mata Nui and the Order went to great lengths to make sure the right Matoran were selected, so they seemed to be aware of the possibility. And it would make sense from a physiological perspective, since I don't see why Toa Energy would work the same way as EP and only affect destined individuals.On a related topic, any ideas how the transformation from Toa to Turaga is determined? I've never seen this discussed before. The mental image idea wouldn't seem to apply, since the Turaga the Toa Metru were the most familiar with was Turaga Dume, and yet they all transformed into forms with very different heights and head positions, at least if we go by the sets.~QMark

le-koro_concert.png

Talking Over an Ocean - Hahli and Amaya are best friends.

I've never seen it discussed before either. Although, it was only in the set as far as I recall that they looked significantly different from Dume, weren't the movie versions basically identical? Sets are just representations, at least when a different movie form is there to be the canon form.

As for the Matoran randomly thinking a Toa looks like something ridiculous...my guess is that they'd end up looking like a basic Toa template. (Like the Mata, who first appeared without armor) Just a guess though.

Well set wise the mata did not have armor, but as story goes most all MU inhabitants have armor especially matoran and toa although from my understanding the armor the toa nuva recieved was of a higher "quality" i think that would be the right term, but yes the toa mata did have armor story wise but not set wise. I wonder if the turaga really have armor. think back to the movie versions of the turaga what you could see did not show they had alot of armor but more frail looking where as even the matoran and toa had obvious armor. i also thought it was interesting that the matoran on mata-nui had armor that had markings that represented their element like how jaller had some armor that looked like flames. so yeah.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

Although, it was only in the set as far as I recall that they looked significantly different from Dume, weren't the movie versions basically identical? Sets are just representations, at least when a different movie form is there to be the canon form.

I remember there being a very brief shot of most of the Turaga, when Takanuva was being resurrected I think. I remember at the time taking note of the fact that Matau and Whenua were shorter than the others, although Nuju looked about normal; though I could be remembering wrong, as it was years ago that I last watched that movie. Might have to check on that. On the other hand, Dume did basically look the same as Vakama or Nokama.~QMark

le-koro_concert.png

Although, it was only in the set as far as I recall that they looked significantly different from Dume, weren't the movie versions basically identical? Sets are just representations, at least when a different movie form is there to be the canon form.

I remember there being a very brief shot of most of the Turaga, when Takanuva was being resurrected I think. I remember at the time taking note of the fact that Matau and Whenua were shorter than the others, although Nuju looked about normal; though I could be remembering wrong, as it was years ago that I last watched that movie. Might have to check on that. On the other hand, Dume did basically look the same as Vakama or Nokama.~QMark
I know exactly what you are talking about in fact i had a topic i replied in that dealt with heights and to show a point i made i took this picall_height.jpgI hope this helps you

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

It's already been stated that the sets are more official than the movie designs. Anyway, Turaga change by giving up their Toa Energy for various reasons. The limitations of what it can be used for are not clearly explained, even on BS01. I don't think Turaga have the "mental image" thing, but they do share a basic body type: weakened Toa. So whatever they looked like as a Toa, but weakened.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Well set wise the mata did not have armor, but as story goes most all MU inhabitants have armor especially matoran and toa although from my understanding the armor the toa nuva recieved was of a higher "quality" i think that would be the right term, but yes the toa mata did have armor story wise but not set wise.

He means extra armor. Both setwise and storywise their metal "skin" is called armor, but again both setwise and storywise the Mata did not have extra armor that they got when they turned Nuva. :)

It's already been stated that the sets are more official than the movie designs.

Where did you get that from? Is there a quote for that, because to my knowledge it's the other way around; as I said, sets are just plastic representations, but book descriptions and movie forms are fully official. And movies usually take precedent over all else, except in a few confirmed non-canon instances. For example, it's in the movies you see the muscles, not the sets, therefore movie is more canon.

It helps a bunch, Shadow Reaper, thanks!So it would appear that they were all about the same height after all, which simplifies things. (And casts a doubtful light on my memory. :P) I'd probably consider TNG's weakened Toa idea, since it seems instinctively like a mental image would help to guide a being's growth more than it would a being's degeneration. Or it could be that Turaga all have a basic template like Matoran.~QMark

Edited by QuestionMark

le-koro_concert.png

Perhaps not all protodermis is semi-organic, but the protodermis which composes an MU inhabitant's armor is. I imagine that the MU inhabitants' armor is their equivalent of the calcified substance which composes our bones. It is naturally produced by the MU inhabitants and forms an exoskeleton (an perhaps an internal skeleton as well) which protects their muscles and internal organs.Something about the energies which transform a Matoran into a Toa reacts with this organic-proto and causes it to modify itself. But why would the kohlii staff transform too?Simple! It's made of organic-proto as well! Many primitive, hunter-gatherer cultures on Earth carve tools out of bone, and there's no reason to suppose that the Matoran wouldn't do the same thing with their tools.

Weaver, Seeker, and Spark

"When the first living thing existed, I was there, waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave."

- Death, The Sandman

(Previously Toa Alaka)

Perhaps not all protodermis is semi-organic, but the protodermis which composes an MU inhabitant's armor is.

That would be hard to explain given that mechanical components can be built by hand from raw materials and swapped in when Matoran rebuild themselves. Possible, though, if my cyberclay theory is right; the code of that protodermis would be updated by the activated (living) molecules neighboring it. But then if my theory is right there's no need for these components to be semi-organic in the first place...

It is naturally produced by the MU inhabitants and forms an exoskeleton

There's no evidence it works like that. The original forms appear to have been built that way, and the biological components grown inside the mechanical parts, and thus there's no distinction between the original mechanical parts and new ones they make by hand for rebuilding.Besides, the components we're talking about are metal.True, we did canonize a metallic bone system for the Agori/Glatorian, but it was understood that this simply inspired the artificial metal equivalents in MU beings, and it was also to explain why metal-looking tools were said to be carved from bone, etc. If all this other metal has had a similar origin all this time it's rather strange it wasn't mentioned, but it was for Bara Magna tech. And the metallic bone in question is not mechanical; it would look roughly like real-life bone in shape but somewhat metallic in makeup. Not gears and pistons and whatnot. Edited by bonesiii