LEGO TBRPG Construction & Design

Sisen

well the whole burning because it is hot deal. I mean think Smoke, only painful if sprayed.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Well... maybe. I just thought of those two powers and what would happen when they are combined, and I figured that manipulation of gravity+super speed equals manipulation of other's speed, which we could call kinetic energy for simplicity's sake. And yes, I know what kinetic energy is, but it sounds cool...

and I want my favorite bionicle power....

Edited by sonyaxe

Well... maybe. I just thought of those two powers and what would happen when they are combined, and I figured that manipulation of gravity+super speed equals manipulation of other's speed, which we could call kinetic energy for simplicity's sake. And yes, I know what kinetic energy is, but it sounds cool...

and I want my favorite bionicle power....

Yes, I guess that's what you'd get,

• 3 weeks later...

So with the end of the official Chima story I was wondering if anyone would want to start up our own? Maybe with the new tribe ideas listed in this topic?

A few rules I could think of off the top of my head are:

1) in order for a new animal tribe to be approved at least 3+ people need to have a character for that tribe. Though special cases like the Skunk and the Fox could be made.

2) characters must have a name that starts with the same letter as their animal tribe. Not really a hard and fast rule but keeping with the aesthetic of the official names in Chima.

3) Have fun... Duh...

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

• 2 weeks later...

I never really followed Chima, so I couldn't give you an answer.

On another note, is the Ninjago RPG still happening?

Plannin' on it, just working on a signup for elements,

My idea is a short thought one, and it appears people don't post here often anyways, so I'll just get on with it, hopefully bring more to the Lego RPG topics,

My game idea is based on Ninjago, except about twenty to thirty years after the events of the show, the ninja have gone their separate ways and settled down, each taking apprentices in their chosen craft. Lloyd, a sensei at this point, has gathered up four new ninja to fight against an unknown threat who has gathered an army of serpentine, nindroids, skulkin, and elemental masters, the main leaders of this enemy alliance are a mix of elemental masters, serpentine generals, powerful nindroids, and strong skulkin, who are called generals, and all report to some unknown villain with unspeakable power, but the attacks have stopped, and the new ninja have taken up to training elemental masters in the way of the ninja and the art of Spinjitzu. But the enemies will return, and the attacks will continue, and when they do, the ninja will be ready.

Character Creation:

I wanna keep this part fairly simple, motion would only be as limited as it is in the show,

The signup template would basically look like this:

Name:

Element: (if any)

Species:

Allegiance:

Color:

Basic appearance: (a picture or a description)

With this, I would also introduce the concept of hybrid elements, the concept being that when two elemental masters have children together, their children will have either one of their parents' elements, or a cross between the two, a hybrid element. Examples of hybrid elements would be Magma (Fire+Earth) Tech (Lightning+Metal) Plasma (Fire+Lightning) and Consumption (Fire+Absorption)

Players could sign up as any of the five species of serpentine, along with skulkin, nindroid, or normal minifig,

EDIT: On second thought, I did think this out, a lot more than I should've, I've got most major plot points for a while and some major characters,

Element signup:

Component elements:

Element name:

Element description: (how it works, its limitations and abilities, etc.)

Example element:

Component elements: Metal+Lightning

Element name: Tech

Element description: Allows technopathy within the wielder, as well as telekinesis, though limited to electronic devices. Occasionally, though unlikely, a master of tech can upload their consciousness and/or the consciousnesses of others to electronic devices, although this act requires months of beforehand meditation in a place purely created of technology.

Any opinions on the matter?

Edited by GSR

Opinions on what? The Tech element or the idea of mixed elements? Because I guess I have both...

Your Tech idea looks cool and makes a bit of sense. Though I don't actually know what effect Metal has as an element so...

I do have a question though. Have you though about the drawbacks of using a hybrid element? Like could they still use both core elements and at to what level? Reason I'm asking is because while understandable there may be additional elements what incentive would somebody have of just being a core element? Other than maybe because they like it? Why settle for a single element when you can have upwards of 3?

Furthermore have you though about serpentine hybrids and what effect they would have?

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

Onua.png

Opinions on what? The Tech element or the idea of mixed elements? Because I guess I have both...

Your Tech idea looks cool and makes a bit of sense. Though I don't actually know what effect Metal has as an element so...

I do have a question though. Have you though about the drawbacks of using a hybrid element? Like could they still use both core elements and at to what level? Reason I'm asking is because while understandable there may be additional elements what incentive would somebody have of just being a core element? Other than maybe because they like it? Why settle for a single element when you can have upwards of 3?

Furthermore have you though about serpentine hybrids and what effect they would have?

Yes, I've thought about serpentine hybrids, and they would be BA.

The main limitation of hybrid elements is they can only use the core elements if they are required to access their actual element, like for say, magma, one would have to use earth to get to the lava,

And also, only two elements can be combined to form a hybrid, anymore, and it's not allowed.

• Upvote 1

So a Magma element would not be able to also use both earth and fire separately... This is what I wanted to know. Thereby explaining the "upwards of 3" comment I posted(Two core elements plus one hybrid element).

Also if you could forgive my ignorance but regarding the Serpentine hybrids what did you mean by BA?

Onua.png

Well I was thinking more along the lines of a Venomari and Fangpyre Hybrid type deal more so over than having a Serpentine elemental Master. Though that is a cool concept idea.

On the other side of the spectrum I still want to see about a Chima RPG so I wanted to put forth the question of what part of the story people would want to have? The two options in my head are either the beginning of the animation story with our own characters and tribes(Incase some new ones get introduced) Thus creating our own branching alternate timeline story. Or perhaps continue the story from where Chima ends and continuing the story that has already been established. Thus creating new conflicts that the established heroes have to deal with. Such as the addition of the new tribes.

On the plus side if you create a new animal tribe you are able to even create a Legend Beast to represent said tribe. Mind you it wont be a playable character. Used mainly for plot...

Onua.png

Well I was thinking more along the lines of a Venomari and Fangpyre Hybrid type deal more so over than having a Serpentine elemental Master. Though that is a cool concept idea.]

Oh, that'd be put under species.

On the other side of the spectrum I still want to see about a Chima RPG so I wanted to put forth the question of what part of the story people would want to have? The two options in my head are either the beginning of the animation story with our own characters and tribes(Incase some new ones get introduced) Thus creating our own branching alternate timeline story. Or perhaps continue the story from where Chima ends and continuing the story that has already been established. Thus creating new conflicts that the established heroes have to deal with. Such as the addition of the new tribes.

On the plus side if you create a new animal tribe you are able to even create a Legend Beast to represent said tribe. Mind you it wont be a playable character. Used mainly for plot...

I think it would be better to have a Chima RPG placed in the past, before all the "mythical" tribes had gone into hiding, that way new tribes wouldn't have to be introduced seeing as they'd all be around at the same time.

• Upvote 1

Well would a serpentine Hybrid get bonuses like being able to use both tribes special abilities? Putting up the two prior mentioned tribes. The Venomari venom is spit into the eyes of their target causing confusion and hallucinations. While possibly also being able to turn a victim of the bite into a Fangpyre. Or would they have to choose one or the other while having a hybrid look. So like a Fangpyre with Venomari ability?

Well one way or another they would have to be introduced. Either later down the line like how the Outland tribes and Frozen Hunters were. Or even the beaver tribe who we didn't actually see at first I don't think until later when Lavel needed their help. Then they became a bigger part of the story. Showing up a Chi Day events and being visited when they needed to deliver Chi to the spate tribes, etc... Or right out of the gecko when the GM(s) post up the story itself. If it is the later then I am going to need a comprehensive list of what tribes people would want to play as.

Speaking of I am looking for others to help me bring this to light if anyone is interested. I cannot do it alone. Well maybe I could but it would be better to spread the load between more individuals.

Onua.png

Well don't forget to add in the tidbits just discussed about the Serpentine. That way no confusion later.

Also I have a question directly for the Staff for this topic. Would posting the RP in this topic in part or whole break the rule of having to PM it to staff for review prior to posting? I wanted to see about posting something here to see if I can get anyone actually interested in a Chima RPG...

Onua.png

My idea is a short thought one, and it appears people don't post here often anyways, so I'll just get on with it, hopefully bring more to the Lego RPG topics,

My game idea is based on Ninjago, except about twenty to thirty years after the events of the show, the ninja have gone their separate ways and settled down, each taking apprentices in their chosen craft. Lloyd, a sensei at this point, has gathered up four new ninja to fight against an unknown threat who has gathered an army of serpentine, nindroids, skulkin, and elemental masters, the main leaders of this enemy alliance are a mix of elemental masters, serpentine generals, powerful nindroids, and strong skulkin, who are called generals, and all report to some unknown villain with unspeakable power, but the attacks have stopped, and the new ninja have taken up to training elemental masters in the way of the ninja and the art of Spinjitzu. But the enemies will return, and the attacks will continue, and when they do, the ninja will be ready.

Character Creation:

I wanna keep this part fairly simple, motion would only be as limited as it is in the show,

The signup template would basically look like this:

Name:
Element: (if any)
Species:
Allegiance:
Color:
Basic appearance: (a picture or a description)

With this, I would also introduce the concept of hybrid elements, the concept being that when two elemental masters have children together, their children will have either one of their parents' elements, or a cross between the two, a hybrid element. Examples of hybrid elements would be Magma (Fire+Earth) Tech (Lightning+Metal) Plasma (Fire+Lightning) and Consumption (Fire+Absorption). There are limitations with hybrid elements, you cannot use the base elements unless you require them for access to your hybrid element, and that is as far as they can be used, for example: a master of Magma would need to use earth to open the ground so that they could reach the magma, they would not, however, be able to use it for say, causing an earthquake, and would be entirely incapable of using the element of fire.

Players could sign up as any of the five species of serpentine, along with skulkin, nindroid, normal minifig, hybrids between the tribes of serpentine, or hybrids between the species. Bear in mind that a master/serpentine hybrid might be able to use limited elemental powers as well as the tribal abilities, although they wouldn't fit in with either culture.

Element creation:

Component elements:
Element name:
Element description: (how it works, its limitations and abilities, etc.)

Filled in element signup, for example purposes:

Component elements: Metal+Lightning
Element name: Tech
Element description: Allows technopathy within the wielder, as well as telekinesis, though limited to electronic devices. Occasionally, though unlikely, a master of tech can upload their consciousness and/or the consciousnesses of others to electronic devices, although this act requires months of beforehand meditation in a place purely created of technology.

I would update the first post with any hybrid elements people submitted that were decided not to be overpowered and consequentially accepted as "canon", that way no one has to try to sign up an element or hybrid that's already been created.

Hey so how long before we see if this is approved? Would GSR post the topic or would Petewa?

Onua.png

Also I have a question directly for the Staff for this topic. Would posting the RP in this topic in part or whole break the rule of having to PM it to staff for review prior to posting? I wanted to see about posting something here to see if I can get anyone actually interested in a Chima RPG...

Apologies for missing this; posting your RPG here is in fact encouraged, so that other players can give feedback and so you can drum up interest. 

Petewa: with regards to your Ninjago RPG, I gave it a look-over.  I admit I'm not really familiar with the Ninjago setting, so I can't speak too much to the lore; that said, one thing I think you're missing here is a better description of the setting and locales.  20-30 years after the main story is a timeframe, but where in the world will players be? If you're aiming to just have the entire Ninjago world open for play, that can be tricky, especially when there aren't a lot of players active - you wind up with either players having characters way to spread out to meaningfully interact, or you wind up with big chunks of setting unused.  (That last part's actually not a terrible problem to have.)

There's also the elephant in the room, which is: are there many players interested in this RPG? I'm not expecting a ton of players, given how slow the Lego RPG subforum is at the moment, but there should be more than just two or three people.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

That's ok GSR. I'll see about posting up something soon I hope. The lack of interest could be my problem as well. While there were several posters in the "What tribe would you like to see" Topic I don't know how many of them would like to actually RP in CHIMA.

Onua.png

Apologies for missing this; posting your RPG here is in fact encouraged, so that other players can give feedback and so you can drum up interest. 

Petewa: with regards to your Ninjago RPG, I gave it a look-over.  I admit I'm not really familiar with the Ninjago setting, so I can't speak too much to the lore; that said, one thing I think you're missing here is a better description of the setting and locales.  20-30 years after the main story is a timeframe, but where in the world will players be? If you're aiming to just have the entire Ninjago world open for play, that can be tricky, especially when there aren't a lot of players active - you wind up with either players having characters way to spread out to meaningfully interact, or you wind up with big chunks of setting unused.  (That last part's actually not a terrible problem to have.)

There's also the elephant in the room, which is: are there many players interested in this RPG? I'm not expecting a ton of players, given how slow the Lego RPG subforum is at the moment, but there should be more than just two or three people.

Actually, I was thinking of having the characters primarily focused in a sort of academy for elemental masters. And to be honest, I don't ever see any more than one person in the Lego RPG sub forum at any given time. Most people likely wouldn't notice the existence of a new RPG here unless through seeing mention in someone's sig. I don't think anything here will drum up more than two or three people unless advertised.

Well a good place to advertise if allowed would be in the Ninjago area of the Board. Not sure if RPs are allowed an advertisement topic in other places on the forum but if you want Ninjago enthusiasts that would be the best place to post. Not sure how many are RPers though.

I am going to have the same problem myself. Come posting my CHIMA RP. Though I know there are plenty of CHIMA fans on the Board. They may not be RPers and therefore would not want to play in a CHIMA RPG.

Onua.png

I don't do blogs so that option is out. Could find room in my Sig but it is kind of packed right now.

Onua.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, your sig is a decent way to drum up interest.  If you have friends with blogs, you might want to ask them if they'd mind making an entry.  I'm also looking at putting together an entry in the near future to raise awareness of the Lego RPG games currently being worked on.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

• 3 weeks later...

Currently, I am working on a TBRPG, and I am posting the preliminary structure here for approval.

The game is titled LEGO Studios: The RPG and will be loosely based on the locations and characters from LEGO Studios Backlot. The general story is that the players are seeking positions at LEGO Studios and are trying to break into the movie business. While players will be creating their own characters for a game based on a familiar theme and online game, this is going to be a very unconventional RPG. Conflict will be minimal at the most and there will be no major narrative beyond what happens to the individual characters. Here is the preliminary structure for the game.

Characters

Each player will be able to create their own character, with a name, physical description or image, and characteristics. All characters start as PAs (production assistants) and rise through the ranks as they complete missions and gather points.

Positions

Once a player reaches 100 points, they can apply for different positions, including script writer, editor, animator, assistant director, illustrator, and more. Each positions has three levels, which allows each player to rise through the ranks as they gain points. The positions of director, producer, and executive are achievable, but hard positions to reach. How these positions are reached is not yet decided.

Missions

Missions are tasks that can be completed around the studio. Each one has a point value. Most can be done by anyone, but some can only be completed by players in certain positions. Completed missions reward the player with the equal point value.

Content Creation

Here is where this TBRPG deviates from the norm. Players will be making REAL FILMS! Using software like Celtx, Dropbox, Audacity, and more, players will be collaborating in their various positions to make films for distribution online. Just like real film production, deadlines will be enforced. No purchase of software is needed.

NPCs

A variety of non-playable characters will populate the studio. While players can talk to them and interact with them, they are ultimately under the control of the game administrators, deciding who's where on each day.

Day/Night Cycles

The game runs in real time. Daytime is between 8 AM and 8 PM, while nighttime is between 8 PM and 8 AM, regardless of time of year. Times are PST.

Nighttime

Nighttime game play is not entirely ironed out, but night is a time for players to complete exclusive missions if they wish or add overtime. Nighttime security guards play during this time.

Overview Day

While each day begins with administration announcing who's where, Sunday is the day that missions are completed and announced, facilities are opened or closed, the results of night actions are covered, and any prior events are recapped.

Let me know what you think about what could be the world's first collaborative content-creation text-based role-playing game, and I'll take any suggestions to adjust accordingly. Again, this is in the early stages of planning, so not everything is completely finalized. Thank you for your time and consideration.