LEGO TBRPG Construction & Design

Sisen

Windrider and I were talking, and we figured we'd float the idea by the players - do folks want to have a separate OOC topic for games here, where profiles and general discussion could go?

I'm not sure I understand the question. You mean like the BRPG news and discussion topic?

Not sure why we would need something like that, since there is no unified LRPG here. (Side note: I'm starting to wonder if that could be a thing, a lot like Lego Dimensions, hmm. But that would be a ways off in the future.)

If you mean a Discussion topic for the games themselves, like they do in BRPG...eh. If people want me to make a discussion topic for the HF RPG I'll do it, but I don't think the game is big enough to warrant one. I just assumed that it would be done all in one topic since that was how it was done before. 

(If we do that, I'd appreciate it if the staff would move the profile posts over to the discussion topic...although that would be really hard since those posts would appear before my first post...it's just too much of a mess now. :sigh:)

As another side note, I do have my share of other RPG ideas to "get this forum back on the map :P " but right now I just don't have time to host them all, nor do I think this forum has the activity to support them yet. One step at a time, I think. But that's just me. :shrugs:

Title considered.

It's really loose right now, all i have is a new universe for the Mixels to be in. Basically you live in this realm (we're gonna call it mixeland for now) and you are one of the canon Mixel tribes. This tribe has one element connected to it, similar to Toa. I'd be Mixing(haha punz) the powers up a little to give the green goop acidic properties and allow stone to actually control stone, etc. etc. you get the picture.

Now you're probably thinking "but Ghidora, we do that with Toa already!"

Well, you remember how Rahkshi Kaita, right? here it works the same way, only the elements get toned down a little when it happens and it dosen't require three beings in order to occur. When it happens, though, it'll be through staff permission only and one character will control the actions while the other players can discuss the actions via PM. It'll be a more barbaric version of the Mixels franchise, as not everybody is a hero, but everybody hates the evil nixels and their hidden leader.

So we have crazy-kaita-toa-rahkshi-monsters fighting makuta-nixel-bad guy in imaginary universe temporarily called Mixeland. Tear it apart, people.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been working on this idea over the weekend and I think it's time to share.

Introducing... the Throwbots RPG!

You are a Throwbots in the beginning of the great war between your kind. Your Creators have just been destroyed and left behind much technology for you to discover. Yet they also have left behind a world filled with danger. Battle your fellow Throwbots and the natural soldiers, form factions to harvest fuel or steal it from others, or search the ruins of the Creators for valuable technology.

Locations, staff characters, and more information can be found in the Google Doc, but for now, here is the basic description:

Locations and Exploration
Players can explore any of the seven sectors of the Planet Slizer: Fire, Water, Ice, City, Jungle, Rock and Energy. These sectors can be imagined as big or small as necessary with potentially limitless resources. Each sector has a different threat level, amount of Fuel, and amount of Technology resources to harvest. These resources come from either fuel sources, which can be anything from rivers to harvesting tree sap, or in the ruins of the Creator's civilization. These ruins will function like dungeons, with GM-led enemies to fight and weapons or refineries to claim.
Each sector has its own general, a powerful GM character that players can battle when they have gained sufficient weaponry. Defeating these generals can give extra fuel cells, fuel, weaponry, and/or protection from the inhabitants of that sector.

Fuel

Fuel is the most valuable commodity to the Throwbots. In this game, you will have to ensure you always have enough. Characters who run out of fuel will die without the assistance of another.

Each character starts out with ten fuel bars, perhaps represented as “Fuel: [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-].” Battles will cost one fuel or more depending on injuries sustained. Travelling to another sector will cost one fuel as well, including to the Judgment Dome. To gain fuel, players must discover fuel sources (more common in certain sectors). For each fuel source discovered, the player gains one fuel point. If the player discovers a refinery, they can place it over their fuel source and gain two fuel points when revisiting that location. But be careful. Other players can capture or use your refineries by following you to their locations.

Judgment Games

The Judgment Games are a mandatory assignment instituted by Judge. Players are called to participate in them at the Judgment Dome after a certain period of time, whether they are ready or not. They will then be placed in bracketed tournaments against other players. Fuel and weapons become critical to your success. The winner of these games can earn extra fuel cells or weaponry.

I just want to say that this concept is still very rough. I'm not entirely sure it will work. In essence, it's a dungeon crawler, apocalyptic wasteland, war-for-resources kind of game, but the fuel sources and extent of the world may make things problematic. So let's tear lots of holes in it.

It looks okay, but I have a couple of concerns: 

1) You said that you were going to leave to a place that does not have reliable internet access. Has that changed? Because I still see you about. 

2) The fuel bars thing may not fit so well in a RPG. That's more of a G&T construct that usually goes over there (Lego games like this are allowed in G&T BTW). It feels more like a G&T game concept than a RPG at the moment - the purpose seems to be combat and fuel amount rather than telling a collaborative story. 

Okay,

1. Well, my departure has been delayed to... what looks like a couple of months. I figured I might have time for something like this. Besides, I spent some work developing it, it seemed a shame to just let it sit in my Google Docs. 

2. That's what I heard from a few people I ran it by earlier, but it seemed to be such a core element of the game that I had a hard time working around it. But to be honest, I think I'd have to agree with you. It does almost seem like a G&T thing. I was starting to wonder myself if it was going to work as an RPG, so that might be a good solution.

Title considered.

It's really loose right now, all i have is a new universe for the Mixels to be in. Basically you live in this realm (we're gonna call it mixeland for now) and you are one of the canon Mixel tribes. This tribe has one element connected to it, similar to Toa. I'd be Mixing(haha punz) the powers up a little to give the green goop acidic properties and allow stone to actually control stone, etc. etc. you get the picture.

Now you're probably thinking "but Ghidora, we do that with Toa already!"

Well, you remember how Rahkshi Kaita, right? here it works the same way, only the elements get toned down a little when it happens and it dosen't require three beings in order to occur. When it happens, though, it'll be through staff permission only and one character will control the actions while the other players can discuss the actions via PM. It'll be a more barbaric version of the Mixels franchise, as not everybody is a hero, but everybody hates the evil nixels and their hidden leader.

So we have crazy-kaita-toa-rahkshi-monsters fighting makuta-nixel-bad guy in imaginary universe temporarily called Mixeland. Tear it apart, people.

Eh, I'm not sure I like the idea of the PM character controls, as that could get out of hand. Maybe it would be easier if each player had three characters, or if each of the players agreed on who would be in control of the MAX beforehand. In-canon the characters need a special object to mix, so maybe the GM could control that (and maybe use the RNG to decide who gets the MAX wheel? :shrugs:)

That's the problem I see with a Mixels RPG in general - the mixing of characters requires a clear way to do character controls. It could be a hugely fun asset if done right though, since it would be different from your STANDARD SAME OLD RPG. 

I'm just copying what Ultron did with Corpus. Basically, i meant to say what you just said it as.

But while there will be goofy mixels, there will be serious ones, and i think i'm going to characterize/empower Nixels to make them an actual menace rather than a comedic annoyance.

• Upvote 1

It could lead to a lot of OOC posts logged, however. Maybe we should go with GSR's suggestion and have a discussion topic for that RPG to avoid clutter. :shrugs: BRPGs sometimes use Skype chats for those kind of things, but I've found that has its downsides as the latter aren't moderated and can contribute to flamewars. *cough* Bionifight Infinite *cough*

• Upvote 1

*cough* Corpus Rahkshi *cough*

Plus the skype chats encourage swearing constantly. So no on that. If i could get an OOC topic for this RPG, though, that would be extremely helpful.

Now back on track, i have little to no knowledge on the area that Mixels live at (if it is even given a name) for me to base Mixeland off of, so does anyone else have a better knowledge of it?

I'd like to point out that while Fishers may have room to talk about Bionifight's chat, You, ghidora, do not, seeing as to how you aren't actually in the Corpus Chat.

regarding the RPG, How are you going to flesh out the Nixels, given that most of them are... well, tiny little things that don't looks like much of anything.

I'd like to point out that while Fishers may have room to talk about Bionifight's chat, You, ghidora, do not, seeing as to how you aren't actually in the Corpus Chat.

regarding the RPG, How are you going to flesh out the Nixels, given that most of them are... well, tiny little things that don't looks like much of anything.

Excuse me, dear sir, they are highly personalized whatchamadilits that very much resemble naughty children.

I was there, but stupid Skype software didn't tell me until i got kicked out, then relayed me all the previous messages and prevented me from getting anymore.

Anyway, these tiny little plastic nuggets are the only kind of enemies the mixels have other than each other, mood swings and ridiculous scenarios. But they're evil, and apparently clone-able as well. The only real issue is as villains, they're pushovers. So i either have to expand on them or make a whole new enemy type.

Mixels Wikia for further reference.

At this rate, we could just call it Rahkshi vs. Toa and throw it over into Bionicle RPG, where it would be rejected because it would be too similar to Corpus. 

Naw, giving Mixels actual elementalish powers isn't unprecedented, but giving Nixels Rahkshi powers would make it too Bionicle IMO. :shrugs: 

Why not go for a Creation vs. Destruction motif?

The only issue with that is that most mixels are as equally destructive as they are creative. But that's a minor issue.

And yes, mixels would be getting elemental powers like fire, ice, acid, etc. while the nixels would get new or different powers.

Edited by Ghidora131

• 5 weeks later...

Why not go for a Creation vs. Destruction motif?

The only issue with that is that most mixels are as equally destructive as they are creative. But that's a minor issue.

And yes, mixels would be getting elemental powers like fire, ice, acid, etc. while the nixels would get new or different powers.

I would think that Nixels would get something destructive or shadowy. 

I still can't get my head off the Rahkshi powers for some reason, even through I know we need something distinguishable. Too many years as a Bionicle fan, I guess.

Has anybody considered an RPG based on Lego Dimensions? It would be simple enough; give players an original central hub (or perhaps select a particular line's world as the focus) to avoid having too many locations, and then operate on a "mission" sort of structure to advance the plot.

Just note that the apparent requirements for RPG approval for this forum include: 

1) posting the RPG in this topic for feedback

2) tracking down people to play the RPG and getting them to post in this topic and/or criticize it

3) PMing GSR to approve the thing. 

I'm certain you can pull it off. But that's what I had to do. 

Just note that the apparent requirements for RPG approval for this forum include: 

1) posting the RPG in this topic for feedback

2) tracking down people to play the RPG and getting them to post in this topic and/or criticize it

3) PMing GSR to approve the thing. 

I'm certain you can pull it off. But that's what I had to do. 

All noted. Benefits of a Lego Dimensions RPG are more people possibly being interested.

I suppose my first question goes out to everyone:

Which Lego lines would you be interested in seeing/playing as in a Lego Dimensions RPG?

Right now I have four decided on: Alpha Team, Knights Kingdom II, Nexo Knights, and Ninjago. I have plans to introduce The Lego Movie later on, as well as other lines, as the story progresses.

So, while trying to rest off a virus the last few days, mind started turning over the basis of an RPG based off the various Lego Space themes, thought I'd put what I've got here see if I could drum up interest, tips and staff. 

Current working title is "The Moons of Meggido". We are at some point in the far future (dates measured in AFC, After First Contact, to keep it deliberately vague how far) where humanity has spread out among the stars, forming a commonwealth with a few alien species they have run into (most notably the Martians). The large territories and advanced technology they have make them a powerhouse in the galaxy, one of three big players with the other two being the UFOs and the Insectoids. I've got a more in-depth chronicle of events, if you don't care that much just skip past the purple text.

Early attempts at exploration beyond Earth's orbit lead to first efforts to colonise Mars. To everyone's surprise, the settlers run into not one but two extraterrestrial species; the native inhabitants (known simply as Martians) and race of invaders (dubbed 'Tharks'). It didn't take humanity long to be drawn into the conflict, and Humans and Martians together drove the Tharks from the planet. With the First Contact War acting as a catalyst to increase technological development, and whole new advancements from Martian science, humans start spreading out into the stars at a greatly accelerated rate, looking for new worlds and new homes.
While starting to expand beyond the Sol system, the next alien race encountered is unfortunately another hostile one; the Bugs. The war against them and their horrific biotech drags on until they're finally beaten and driven far from human territory. Other races are encountered, but because of the leaps and bounds humans have made with everything they've been through, they're actually technologically superior to these races and absorb them into the growing Commonwealth. Technically these aliens are citizens with rights equal to any human or martian, but its not unusual to see far flung colonies that don't quite follow those ideals. Xenophobia is a hard habit to drop, more so when you've already had two wars against extratrerrestrials.

On that note, the Tharks are back and they've brought friends. A powerful race, the Yuu'Ef, have their own coalition of races, though its very much a case of the Yuu'Ef being in charge. The Tharks joined up in exchange for Yuu'Ef-assisted retribution on mankind. But after a few skirmishes the Yuu'Ef decide that any victory over the Commonwealth would be far too costly, especially when only the pride of one race is at stake. They form a truce and open up diplomatic channels with humanity, the two nations becoming not exactly friends and allies but just neighbours with grudging respect.

The age that follows is often thought of a golden age for humans, with further expansions and scientific advancements, and only a few messy secessions of distant colony worlds to mar the times. Which is why things get a little panicky when the Bugs are encountered again. Only they're much different from the last time, their shortened lifespans pushing them through evolution faster. Calling themselves Insectoids they're more humanoid now in appearance and mindset, and no longer want to consume all in their path. They're not interested in another defeat and quickly offer terms of peace. Humanity is wary, but accepts, also not interested in another war.

This brings us more or less up to the present day, where a joint venture has been proposed to try and cement the alliances between the three galactic nations. The remote gas giant known as Meggido was colonised centuries back by humanity, with outposts and crude mining operations set up on its five moons (Thutmose, Tiglath-Pileser, Necho, Josiah, Allenby) but was abandoned after it became too high a risk during the Bug War. The Insectoids have made a gesture of goodwill and good faith and offered to help restore human interests in that system. Given that Meggido has picked up six more moons (Schumacher, Watzinger, Fisher, Yadin, Ussishkin, Finkelstein) which could hold many more resources and worthwhile investments, and the risk of attack has now gone, humanity has jumped at the chance. The expedition to the moons of Meggido begins...

Hello those of you who read through my verbal outpourings, or to those of you who skipped through it. Long story short, humans have teamed up with a race that used to be enemies but are now trying peace to go explore and colonise the moons of a gas giant called Meggido. Humanity used to have stuff on five of the moons, but it had to be abandoned during the war with those enemies-who-aren't-enemies-any-more. They're interested in taking it back, not to mention seeing whats up on the brand new moons that the planet has stolen during the centuries humanity has been away. The other guys want to cement the peace while probably also setting up their own stuff on the moons. 

Kind of torn on exactly how I want to the RPG to go. First thought is make it more or less open world, with some sort of central hub on one of the moons and the players heading off to have adventures on the others. But another part of me wants it a bit more tightly-knit and story-focused. Stick to one moon, one permanent base set up on it with one mobile Arachno-Base to go exploring and have away missions. And I did quite like the mechanic the proposed Star Trek RPG over in OTC suggested, where players submit and vote for the stories they want to see, meaning less of a focus on GM characters to drive everything. I dunno, any thoughts and opinions from the community?

• Upvote 1

7AOYGDJ.jpg