Bionicle 2007.thoughts And Opinions.

Nex 4.0

Maxilos was pretty cool. I mostly ignored spinax, though. I liked the toa mahri, nuparu and hewkii in particular. As for barraki, Ehlek was awesome. Hydraxon was so good, I lost him. (And no, I have no idea how I lost a gigantic titan like that)

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

I thought the concept of the sets was pretty good - mutated Toa, exiled mutated warlords, robot guardians of the jail - but I thought the execution of the sets was a little lacking. I much preferred the lineup we got to the last gasp of clone sets released in 2006, but I found a lot of problems with the sets - especially the Barraki. I found most of the designs to either be ridiculously spindly or have gaping holes in their design. Mutation can't account for all of the flaws.Likewise, the Mahri had some peculiar and conspicuous builds. I think Hahli Mahri was basically the poster Toa for such issues - lime joints that cracked, non-feminine mask, reversed Piraka torso (ugh), creepy fins. Hewkii had much of the same issues, and Nuparu was pretty boring. Not to be overly critical and demeaning of that Toa wave, though - I thought Jaller was one of the best designed Toa ever, though his pet Hahnah crab made next to no sense.The titans were pretty good, I have to give the designers credit. Maxilos, for all of his gaps, more than made up for it as the first titan to have innovative and realistic waist/torso articulation. I really liked Spinax - I thought overall he looked solid and menacing, not to mention the way that the spines curved on his back. That worked so well.Hydraxon utilized realistic hands. Axonn's hands were insane, but Hydraxon's actually worked - not to mention that MOCists had used that type of hand design ever since the Exo-Force limbs came into vogue. I didn't think the rest of Hydraxon was very memorable.Gadunka was ... Gadunka. (Gadunkadunkadunkadunkadunk.) Arguably one of the least-important characters ever, Gadunka was pretty much without a doubt the single most useless set ever. While its massive head was interesting, the rest of its body seemed to be a BIONICLE version of a blue-painted frog that was stretched out on a taffy machine. The only redeeming qualities about Gadunka's build was that it exemplified the often-overlooked versatility of the Inika torso.The thing about the era from 2005-2007 is that set discussion often ignores the playsets. I enjoyed them, though a lot of the playsets from 2007 were not integral to the story in any way, and were often just too bulky/boxy to have playability value. The Toa Terrain crawler was definitely the most intriguing, but I never really comprehended why it had to be a Rahi - a tame Rahi that cleaned weapons in its innards. Please, LEGO ... you should have made it a robot.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I was never too fond of the 2007 sets. None of the Barraki really appealed to me with their either spindy or boring designs and creepy faces, although I did like the Matoran. Some of the Mahri like Jaller, Hahli and Kongu were good while the others were boring like Nuparu or just strange like Hewkii or Matoro. I never played attention to play sets either. The titans were decent, though, especially Maxilos and Spinax.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Probably my favorite year out of all of them, the sets were fun to play with and rather creative. The plot of the year itself was interesting and featured a twist which changed the course of BIONICLE, something that I don't recall seeing in the other BIONICLE years. The titans were also pretty awesome, although I think that Nocturn could have been improved to a large degree.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

My favorite set of 2007 was Hydraxon: although him being a master of every known weapon was a flaw,as he didn't have that many weapons. Possibly something like a hidden blade or Shurikens?

Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

The sets were pretty decent, especially compared to the clone builds of '06. The Barraki were cool, and the Mahri were okay.I only got Takadox, Carapar, Ehlek, Mantax, Kongu, and Matoro. I wish I had gotten Kalmah, Hahli, and Jaller as well, since they're just a few modifications away from looking great, and they have some good pieces.

OpAXNpl.jpg

One of the best years, IMO. It had the Barraki, which were fabulous, and the Mahrii, which weren't that great but weren't awful either. Hydraxon always looked cool to me, but I never bought him, preffering to get more of the regular Barraki. I probably most liked the Barraki because of their resemblance to animals, like Ehlek - eel, Carapar - crab, Pridak - chicken shark, and the squid launchers were an awesome weapon, I am one of those gifted people who can fire them across the house.

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

The small sets: Not the best bunch of small Bionicle sets to ever hit the shelves. The 06 sets were better, IMO.Canister sets: I really enjoyed them since they all weren't clones of each other. I really liked Ehlek, Carapar, Jaller, Pridak, and Hahli the best out of all of them. The Barracki Squid Launchers were the worst weapons to ever come with a Bionicle set. But I loved the Cordak Blasters. They could've been a little smaller, but I thought they were just as cool as the Zamor Sphere Launchers of 06.Titan sets: Hydraxon and Gadunka were some of my favorite sets of 07. Hydraxon just looked really cool with his weapons, while Gadunka's unique body design helped it standout from the other sets of the year. Maxilos was awesome too, though I do think his body design could've been a little better.The exclusive sets: Lesovikk was my favorite set of the year. I loved how his set looked and his vehicle looked great. Karzahni's set wasn't too bad either, though I wished his head had been a Metru head with a new Kanohi Mask instead of two green Pridak feet put together. :( The Sarda and Idris sets that came with him were better than the other small that were released earlier that year. Nocturn, probably my second favorite set of the year, had one of the best body designs ever. The only bad thing about him was that he had a Squid Launcher for one of his weapons. (Though it wasn't the end of the world since it could removed from the set. :P)Summary: I really liked the Bionicle 07 sets. In fact, it was the only year where I got all the sets that came out. (Minus the play sets) It was a shame that the sets with lime green pieces (Ehlek, Hahli, Nocturn, and Lesovikk) got cracks in them after a while, but despite that I thought that 07 overall was a great year for Bionicle set-wise.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I stopped collecting partially through 2007, funny enough. I didn't buy Mantax, Kongu, Matoro, Nuparu, Maxilos, Karzahni, Gadunka, and a few others. There definitely was a lot of diversity among the sets that year though, I think I was just falling out of touch with set-purchasing at that point. For example, I loved 2008's sets even more, but didn't buy anything beyond Takanuva.-Ced

Not a fan of the underwater scene, and especially not a fan of the idea of everyone being water-breathers.The only sets I liked were the Toa Mahri, the two Matoran, Hydraxon, Lesovikk and Karzahni.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

It...grew on me. I was sad to say goodbye to Voya Nui, at first. The end of clone sets was welcome, though only the Barraki has builds I would say are interesting.Worst sets were the Mahritoran (Those shoulder launchers on a body that small? RIDICULOUS. I couldn't position them right, and then the one I got was lost.), best were (AS KARZING ALWAYS...) the Titans. Karzahni or Maxilos. (Karzahni alone is inferior, but with all that he came with...EVEN GOOD REVISIONS OF THE MAHRITORAN)I loved the creepy designs of the Barraki, and Pridak by far had the most menacing look. It was his facial expression that did it. Least scary was Kalmah. He looked nearly like a Toa.The Mahri were great. I think Hahli's mask WAS feminine, with the angles of the eyeholes. Made me think Lesovikk was a girl first time I saw him, too. (Karz, when I drew Hahli years ago, everyone in my class thought she looked female. And I drew her in EXACT SET FORM.)However, Hewkii and Nuparu were boring.Hydraxon was a...meh kind of titan. Like Axonn was. He should have had a focus on fancy and well-executed/designed/made weapons.Gadunka...was...fail. No good poses for that guy...Lastly, Nocturn. The worst Titan ever. He disgraces the name Titan. Oh, sure, a Barraki with extra limbs and leg pistons (which, might I add, are there for NO REAL REASON..), let's call it a Titan and sell it for nearly double price! Glow in the dark? TAKADOX HAS IT, KARZ DARNIT! Extra limbs justify it? Tell that to Gorast (who, also, in my opinion, was lame.) Overall, better sets than 2006. I still prefer 2006 for better story, atmosphere, and the AMAZING combiners. 2006 was the height of combiners. I have dreamed so many times of having a real Kardas set in my room. Oh Mata Nui. If I could just buy that Kardas set...I'd have 5 sets in one. But, I digress...7/10 would be my rating for the year.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

...EVEN GOOD REVISIONS OF THE MAHRITORAN)

They were the exact same design, just without the shoulder launchers.

If I could just buy that Kardas set...I'd have 5 sets in one.

Kardas was a combo of three sets.Now, on to what I thought.2007 probably held some brilliant sets, but what I hated was that Lego always showed off the worst of their figures. Kalmah was always shown on posters as the kind of flagship Barraki, same goes for Hahli with the Mahri. Those two figures were some of the few I bought, and they both sucked horribly. Hahli because of her backwards Piraka torso and brittle lime pieces, and Kalmah because of how pathetically bland he was. Ehlek suffered from insanely over-spindly-ness, and his oversized claws and Lime Syndrome didn't help either. The squid launcher was officially the biggest mistake in the history of Bionicle. Pridak was probably the only good set that I actually bought. Lesovikk was missing a load of pieces when I got him for some reason, and Dekar was just... I dunno. He wasn't that bad actually, come to think of it. I guess the fact that I was only exposed to the bad sets made me think of the rest of 2007 as a pile faeces. It also made me hate water-themed Lego sets for the rest of eternity.

...EVEN GOOD REVISIONS OF THE MAHRITORAN)

They were the exact same design, just without the shoulder launchers.

If I could just buy that Kardas set...I'd have 5 sets in one.

Kardas was a combo of three sets.Now, on to what I thought.2007 probably held some brilliant sets, but what I hated was that Lego always showed off the worst of their figures. Kalmah was always shown on posters as the kind of flagship Barraki, same goes for Hahli with the Mahri. Those two figures were some of the few I bought, and they both sucked horribly. Hahli because of her backwards Piraka torso and brittle lime pieces, and Kalmah because of how pathetically bland he was. Ehlek suffered from insanely over-spindly-ness, and his oversized claws and Lime Syndrome didn't help either. The squid launcher was officially the biggest mistake in the history of Bionicle. Pridak was probably the only good set that I actually bought. Lesovikk was missing a load of pieces when I got him for some reason, and Dekar was just... I dunno. He wasn't that bad actually, come to think of it. I guess the fact that I was only exposed to the bad sets made me think of the rest of 2007 as a pile faeces. It also made me hate water-themed Lego sets for the rest of eternity.
Kardas was 3 sets combined, what I meant was I was counting his parts, Botar, and himself.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I fell in love with the Takadox set. Those eyes...

I agree. I think he is awesome. I wish i had some Mahri. I asked my grandmother for Matoro mahri, but she gave me matoro inika instead.

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

at the time it was my worst year for sets IMO. Gone were the days of waves of almost entirely new pieces and the stick figure appearance of the mahri didn't tickle my fancy. Plus the mahri were one of the most jumbled in-cohesive bunch of toa we've had to date and destroyed the awesome looks of the inika! I actually didn't get one set that year (recieving nuparu and jaller mahri years later)

sam_7163_-_copy.jpg

The Misadventures of

Onipex and Pals! Go watch it now! :biggrin: