Girls' Corner

Peach 00

Boys call other boys gay because they act a bit different than the majority, the 'norm'.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we call other guys gay if they act gay- not really influenced by any sort of 'norm', just that we classify certain things under certain headings and apply them as such.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Boys call other boys gay because they act a bit different than the majority, the 'norm'.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we call other guys gay if they act gay- not really influenced by any sort of 'norm', just that we classify certain things under certain headings and apply them as such.
forgive me for my generalisations. <_<But then what do you classify as 'gay' behaviour? (although I doubt such a thing exists...)

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Just things that don't exactly radiate masculinity. It's more of a 'judge it after it happens' then a 'be prepared for anything'. Guys in general are just very, very homophobic. Myself included, lol.

... I don't see a reason for that.and how can lack of masculinity automatically equal gay? O.oDoes not acting according to the social norm define someone's preferences?sounds rather weird to me.

I feel obligated, being bi myself, to pop in here and slap anyone who says 'femininity in a guy is gay behavior' seriously.Really though, a feminine guy (and no, not saying I believe anything is inherently 'feminine' or 'masculine', I'm just saying it for easier communication) doesn't necessarily mean he's gay. Really, that'd be more transsexual than homosexual. Gotta keep the terms straight. Even then, there's people like me, who squee at stuff, watch FiM, but also has an abnormal obsession with guns and gladii.Really, it's just the person's personality. Nothing to do with their sexual orientation.

Edited by Gaius Alex Humvus Augustus

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Edit: Well said, Alex. ^^In my experience, the term is used pretty loosely and can mean lame, stupid or referring to one's sexuality, contrary to its original definition of "happy." Though, the latter is used less often from what I've seen. It does kinda bug me, though I do use it here and there (it's something I tend not to really think about when I say it). It's pretty much turned into a norm of slang. =/Anyway, let's change the subject, shall we? (I think I scared everyone away earlier. XP)What do you guys think of the color pink? I've heard that blue was more a feminine color while reds were associated with boys. Somehow that got reversed, though I'm not quite sure why... Kinda seems ironic how the "masculine" color is associated with nearly every single female Bionicle character in existence. XD

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Blue use to be the girliest thing ever because it was a 'soft' color, red was totally manly because blood and all. How it got changed, I have no clue.Me, I look at pink as just another color; I typically don't wear neon pink shirts because 1)it's annoying and 2)they don't make them in my size, but I don't have anything against it, no more than I do against any other color.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I used to hate everything pink, myself due to its over-association with girls. And then Pinkie Pie broke the fourth wall with her awesomeness (and Princess Tutu as well, because that show is totally awesome). I now love the color, though I don't plan on going out of my way to change my wardrobe.

@Alex: Well said, but keep in mind that being called gay doesn't necessarily make you gay, either.

BUT THEN WHY CALL SOMEONE GAY AT ALL ><Sorry. Aaanyways. Pink? I don't wear it. Not at all, because it doesn't suit me. If it suits someone, then they can wear it, but IMO pink (especially the bright hues) is a rather hard colour to be pulled off well, regardless of sex.I don't like it a lot, either, but that's an entirely different story. xD

slap anyone who says 'femininity in a guy is gay behavior' seriously.Really though, a feminine guy (and no, not saying I believe anything is inherently 'feminine' or 'masculine', I'm just saying it for easier communication) doesn't necessarily mean he's gay. Really, that'd be more transsexual than homosexual. Gotta keep the terms straight. Even then, there's people like me, who squee at stuff, watch FiM, but also has an abnormal obsession with guns and gladii.Really, it's just the person's personality. Nothing to do with their sexual orientation.

I recall a great, witty explanation of exactly what you said. Basically, being gay doesn't make one more feminine (or vice versa) because there's not really a fixed spectrum of masculine to feminine to describe all of human personality. We could say that Englishmen are more French than Americans, but doesn't it make more sense to call an Englishman "English" or "British" and to not assume that there is some continuum of "Frenchness" to describe ethnicity? Similarly, there isn't just a personality continuum that ranges from masculine to feminine, so there's no reason to shoehorn a sexuality into social characteristics: The two aren't even related.This is totally relevant because I said feminine like three times okay.~ BioGio Edited by BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

I think I recall reading somewhere that the colour-gender thing is still reversed in Denmark (ie, blue for girls, pink for boys). So, that might actually explain the Bionicle thing, given where Lego comes from...As for me, I don't mind pink. There's even a little bit of it in my wardrobe, although I really prefer red personally.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Well, sexuality and personality are both spectrums, not digital measures, shaped by and viewed through the lens of society. It's quite possible for a guy to act 'gay' and be entirely straight, or for a guy to act like your stereotypical tough guy and be entirely gay. Or, more likely, for a guy to act not entirely like either of those things and not be entirely straight or gay.Then again, where I live there's very little anti-homosexual sentiment, so maybe I'm viewing the situation through rose-colored glasses.EDIT: And ninja'd back to the color discussion. I'm a fan of blue, but that's just me. It's always been a little odd that one color is associated so heavily with one gender or the other, but that's culture for you.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

there's no such thing as "acting gay".remember what year it is and stop perpetuating stupid stereotypes.

there's no such thing as "acting gay".remember what year it is and stop perpetuating stupid stereotypes.
Beat me to it.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

I pretty much agree with BioGio and GSR on this one. I don't think I'll reiterate (nice way of putting too).Huh. You know, I'll have to ask around a bit about that, Alyska. That would certainly be interesting if the colors weren't switched in Denmark and if that actually did play a part in Gali being female and blue. O.o Then again, I think mermaids are a decent part of culture there due to Hans Christian Andersen (and mermaids tend to live in the water which is associated with blue, go figure), so now I kinda wonder if that could have anything to do with it... Or, I'm probably just speculating nonsense. XP Which reminds me, what are your guys' favorite female heroes/role models. I'm actually pretty interested (like favorite characters from a show or franchise, etc).

I think I recall reading somewhere that the colour-gender thing is still reversed in Denmark (ie, blue for girls, pink for boys). So, that might actually explain the Bionicle thing, given where Lego comes from...As for me, I don't mind pink. There's even a little bit of it in my wardrobe, although I really prefer red personally.

Lol, same here. I prefer a lot of other colors, but I wear it just for the sake of wearing it sometimes. To me, just because I'm a female doesn't mean I wear the color all the time. =PAbout being gay: GSR's point sums up my thoughts pretty well, but I'd like to move on from the discussion now. Those type of generalizations just make me upset. =/Guys' as in actual guys, or the gender-free version 'guys'? :P I'm joking, lol. My role model is probably Audrey Hepburn, as I'm pursuing the same career as both ballerina/actress. Helen Mirren is another role model as well, honestly. There are a lot of others I forget for some reason, lol. My favorite hero is hard to pick, however there are some cool book characters (AKA Charlotte Doyle in True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is probably one of my favorite female heroes, although not sure if you could call her a hero).

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

there's no such thing as "acting gay". remember what year it is and stop perpetuating stupid stereotypes.
Don't shoot the messenger

Actually, I am with JC on this one in that there is plenty of behavior that would generally be called 'acting gay'. It's not necessarily an accurate label (hence my post above), but it is one that gets used in common parlance, and there's not really any denying that.But you're right, we should move on from this discussion.Favorite female protagonists/heroes, hm? I've always liked Faith from Mirror's Edge.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I'm a guy, I don't usually act too masculine, but I'm not gay. Case closed. :PMooooooooooving along~Female protagonists? I liked Samus Aran from Metroid until Other M. :P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

I'm a guy, I don't usually act too masculine, but I'm not gay. Case closed. :PMooooooooooving along~Female protagonists? I liked Samus Aran from Metroid until Other M. :P

Although having not played the Metroid games, Samus Aran is still cool. :P

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

slipped away...

Guys' as in actual guys, or the gender-free version 'guys'? :P I'm joking, lol.

Don't make me get all politically correct all up in here, Peach. XP (seriously though, I hate being politically correct about every little thing. @_@ Good intentions gone rotten, that seems like a pretty good description to me... It's easier to tell everyone to stop being an cool dude -YAY CENSORSHIP!-)Wow, you guys have some pretty deep, in-depth answers... I like Twilight Sparkle. She's my ultimate role-model and favorite character hands down. XPKidding. XD Though, I'm fond of Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle among other characters (and Taka, it's totally fine to say Roodaka. XD). I also like Hera Björk for her song Je Ne Sais Quoi in Eurovision a few years back. She wasn't all dolled up, she was different and she has a good deal of talent!

Agreed - I hate being politically correct, too. xPHeh, nice. And I'd totally have to agree with Taka, Roodaka is awesome hands-down. =D

slipped away...

Agreed - I hate being politically correct, too. xPHeh, nice. And I'd totally have to agree with Taka, Roodaka is awesome hands-down. =D

While I don't hate being politically correct, it's far more fun for me to point out when others aren't... just from time to time :PYaaay for Roodaka x3

Huh, you guys are a tad more serious then S&T.Creepy.

Yeah, man! Ya GOTS to be serious when talkin' 'bout BARBIES AND GENDER-BIASED GREAT BEINGS, MAN!
Sexist, no? I'm pretty sure Barbies have gone outta style(Not that I would know that :P ), and we only know of a few GB's. They may be Female ones as well, they just haven't been revealed(or Greg just isn't gonna write them in.)

WIP

Roodaka is overrated. Well, she was better than the 'peace happiness and love!' females Bionicle threw at us up until 2007, but she was still just the Black Widow archtype.

I have to disagree - she was a hated character by a lot of people for her role in the story, especially because she betrayed both the Makuta and the Dark Hunters, if I'm not mistaken. For that, she is awesome. xP That type of character was probably needed in this case, honestly, because it's much better than the water-Toa that were introduced to the story.

slipped away...

She was a good female character for Bionicle, yeah, instead of the 'peace happiness and love' Ga-people we saw up until then, but she was otherwise just a kinda stereotypical character- an archtype. She was seductive and manipulative because of it, and she abused that for personal gain. She's comparable to Poison Ivy from Batman, or that COTD from Two and a Half Men, Courtney I think her name was. I guess my point is she was a good character compared to other Bionicle characters but not in literature as a whole.

She was a good female character for Bionicle, yeah, instead of the 'peace happiness and love' Ga-people we saw up until then, but she was otherwise just a kinda stereotypical character- an archtype. She was seductive and manipulative because of it, and she abused that for personal gain. She's comparable to Poison Ivy from Batman, or that COTD from Two and a Half Men, Courtney I think her name was.I guess my point is she was a good character compared to other Bionicle characters but not in literature as a whole.

I see what you mean, but look at it like this: there is a reason for archetypes. Just consider every other super hero. In a way they are a good thing, because the audience is able to identify them quickly, and for some it's certainly also a way to make identifying with the character easier.And throughout literature, you will find the same archetypes popping up again and again: the old mentor, the king, the hero, the antagonist, the damsel in distress... one could say that there are no new stories, and that the old ones are just to be re-told for every generation. *shrugs*

Huh, you guys are a tad more serious then S&T.Creepy.

Yeah, man! Ya GOTS to be serious when talkin' 'bout BARBIES AND GENDER-BIASED GREAT BEINGS, MAN!
Dead serious. (xD)

I see what you mean, but look at it like this: there is a reason for archetypes. Just consider every other super hero. In a way they are a good thing, because the audience is able to identify them quickly, and for some it's certainly also a way to make identifying with the character easier.And throughout literature, you will find the same archetypes popping up again and again: the old mentor, the king, the hero, the antagonist, the damsel in distress... one could say that there are no new stories, and that the old ones are just to be re-told for every generation. *shrugs*

And then, every so often, there are characters that present new archtypes, and these are interesting characters. Roodaka, unfortunately, did not. Having said that, I think discussing literary philosophy is out of place in this topic. xP

She was a good female character for Bionicle, yeah, instead of the 'peace happiness and love' Ga-people we saw up until then, but she was otherwise just a kinda stereotypical character- an archtype. She was seductive and manipulative because of it, and she abused that for personal gain. She's comparable to Poison Ivy from Batman, or that COTD from Two and a Half Men, Courtney I think her name was.I guess my point is she was a good character compared to other Bionicle characters but not in literature as a whole.

Not entirely true. Every now and then, there'll come along a work of Gatsbian fiction: namely, the dashing, young and bold guy who ends up dead, the unattainable girl, and the apostle that chronicles the story after the death of his hero, the first guy.Those are my favorite kinds of stories.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

One archetype I'm getting a bit sick of is the cartoonish feisty girl type. You know, hotheaded, likes to brag, typically runs head first into battle (but is ultimately never really as effective as the male hero), and is eventually revealed to have a softer, more caring side (SURPRISE! Betcha didn't see that coming. She's a real girl after all!). Whenever I see one, it feels kind of lazy on the part of the writers- like they wanted a "strong female character" without thinking about what that phrase actually means, and that they're relying on an archetype a bit too much. TLR's version of Kiina falls squarely into that category. Also, has anyone noticed how only female characters tend to get described as "feisty"? The only male character I can think of that has ever been described as such is S######-Doo. And we all know how popular he was. If a character is hotheaded, sharp-tongued, but actually, y'know, competent, there tend to be other words we use to describe them - to me, "feisty" implies angry mediocrity. As for best female characters? I'm going to nominate Toph. She transcends the "feisty" label by pulling off feats that are genuinely on par with the other heroes, and her wacky sense of humour definitely helps set her apart from other female cartoon characters. So many writers are convinced that girls cannot be funny, and it's refreshing to see a character who defies that.

Alyska, I think Korra pulls off the "feisty" character extremely well. She is headstrong, she does rush into battle, only she's pretty freaking good at it. XD I love her character a lot so far, actually. She's not girly per se, but she's also not exactly a tomboy either. Plus, Makorra. Totally epic so far. XDAnd I agree; Toph was a great character. ^^

Yes, apparently... Even the word filter hates him.@Tekulo- That's the thing about most of the female characters in Avatar- they transcend "feisty". They're competent fighters and interesting characters, not just loud-mouthed ankle-biters. I'm not saying I dislike hotheadedness in a female character full stop, it's just that it's common to see it abused in a very lazy manner with little thought put in.