Anyone Else Enjoy The Presence Of Gang-Themes In The Story?

And by that I of course mean the Piraka.In a way, I like it, as it's another culture that makes the story so diverse, but on the other hand, it seems a little too.. real-life for me.However I'd like to see more gang-related characters with gang-like dynamics within the groups. Anyone agree?

Would you say the Dark Hunters are a gang?

Perhaps, but they're more of a large organized crime network than a simple "street gang" like the Piraka.Overall, I think the gang imagery involved with the Piraka was exaggerated in the advertising for those sets, and their story role didn't really treat them as much more than a group of villains with a somewhat reluctant alliance. In any event, there were no gang themes that I felt were particularly unnerving or close-to-home.

Would you say the Dark Hunters are a gang?

Perhaps, but they're more of a large organized crime network than a simple "street gang" like the Piraka.Overall, I think the gang imagery involved with the Piraka was exaggerated in the advertising for those sets, and their story role didn't really treat them as much more than a group of villains with a somewhat reluctant alliance. In any event, there were no gang themes that I felt were particularly unnerving or close-to-home.
Yeah, I have to agree with you. I always thought of the Dark Hunters as more of a criminal syndicate than a simple gang. And given the way The Shadowed One handled his operatives, I don't think the potential for a gang among his ranks was really there. Unless you look at the piraka, who went rogue and did their own thing. Advertising is always dramatized, but you're right that the piraka didn't usually carry that gang mindset. It was only when faced with serious threats (Brutaka, Toa Inika, etc.) that they worked together, out of necessity. Gangs tend to have a stronger bond among members and a code of some kind. I think it would've been interesting to see a strong gang dynamic among a group in the Bionicle universe though.-Ced

Gangs are a human construct of people who are of questionable moral conduct (which breeds mistrust and backstabbing) banding together because of an enemy that is more of a threat than the threats posed by the other members.Sounds like the Piraka to me. The way that they were portrayed in-story would suggest these characteristics while failing to incorporate human characteristics of gangs into the story that the story didn't really need. Advertising is advertising.Now whether human characteristics of gangs should have been better applied to the Piraka in-story to match the advertising is another question. I say no; the story was better off without it.

The Piraka gang thing was just advertising with a rebellious theme, in story, the Piraka were more like, "Screw this. What are we doing on this desolate rock? Why the Karz is the Ignika here? Why do we even want it? Let's just pitch Reidak off a cliff for fun. I'm bored."

aouROFb.png

I'm not sure if you (or Lego) understand what "gang themes," as we commonly refer to them today, actually are. The Piraka are not gangsta. Nothing Bionicle-related, including the promotional material in 2006, is gangsta. If anything in Bionicle was gangsta, it sure as heck wouldn't be discussed on a family forum. Frankly, I think anything gangsta would be really out of place in Bionicle.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Yeah, to those saying they weren't ganglike in the story, they clearly were. At least the closest you're ever likely to find in a fictional universe that has nothing to do with Earth. :P Obviously it wasn't meant to just throw real-world gangs into Bionicle, but then, real-world gangs throughout history have varied a lot more than people realize. The whole "yo yo Piraka" style is very modern, but gangs have existed for at least over a hundred years and probably much farther back than that in some form.Anywho, I loved the Piraka rap and the videos. They weren't canon, but they were fun. :PAnd the in-story stuff was pretty good. I liked both of the first two major "speaking canister villains". After that I felt it got old fast, but the first time it was done it was original to Bionicle, plus it showed the moral theme of the lack of allegiance villains really have to each other well. The 08 Makuta would have done well to learn that lesson lol.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Most of the kids in my classes who always get in trouble don't turn into egomaniacs who take over the universe.Granted, I do have an egomaniac classmate who wants to take over the universe, but he doesn't get into trouble as much as some kids. True story.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I don't think it's too close to real life. The word "Gang" is just another word for group really, and often implies trouble makers. I don't think the meaning it generally has in real life applies at all in BIONICLE though. The Piraka were a gang, yes, but you name me a gang of six beings in the real world who conquered an entire Island in an attempt to gain an ultimate power source.

Granted, I do have an egomaniac classmate who wants to take over the universe, but he doesn't get into trouble as much as some kids. True story.

A true egomaniac causes trouble, but does not get into it. :P

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

With only one stereotypical gang and one mafia-esque organization, I honestly don't feel like there was a "gange presence" and thus doesn't faze me at all.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

• 3 weeks later...

Well it is kind of cool (except for the rap song of course). Except most aren't that much of gangs. It should be more like The Godfather. Somebody make Greg an offer he can't refuse...

Thanks. With that, and the earlier post about the Dark hunters being the MU's "Mafia", I'll now picture The Shadowed One sounding like Marlon Brando.Anyway, on the main topic, gangs aren't always "gangsta". The Piraka are simply a group, so they're still a "gang" either way, really. Even Toa teams can be considered "gangs". So since pretty much everyone's always in teams, I guess I do sense a "gang" presence, just not what you might be thinking.Btw, I never liked that Piraka rap. :P Though the gangsta theme of the advertising was kinda funny. I always did picture them living in a garage or whatever that was. :P

I'm curious, to those who keep saying you didn't like the Piraka Rap -- since I can't imagine not loving it :P -- is it just because it's so different thematically from traditional Bionicle story styles, or do you mean you really don't like the rap itself musically? If the former, I can understand it, though it was basically meant humorously, not to be part of the story themes of Bionicle itself IMO. If the latter... I mean is that possible? :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'm curious, to those who keep saying you didn't like the Piraka Rap -- since I can't imagine not loving it :P -- is it just because it's so different thematically from traditional Bionicle story styles, or do you mean you really don't like the rap itself musically? If the former, I can understand it, though it was basically meant humorously, not to be part of the story themes of Bionicle itself IMO. If the latter... I mean is that possible? :P

It's most certainly possible, seeing as I don't like the rap itself musically. :) I just don't like rap.

• 4 weeks later...

Please... The Piraka may have been a 'gang' but I'm pretty sure that even if the same word was used in the Matoran Universe, it wouldn't have the same connotations that it does in our language. Pretty sure they didn't smoke acid grass.+1 to all those who classify the Dark Hunters as a crime syndicate and not a gang. :P

~Malakyr~

• 2 weeks later...

Piraka, definitely. Dark Hunters, yeah. But sort of like a Mafia organized crime thing. Take note, children, nothing to even consider getting involved in ( :P), but definitely cool for the story.

Edited by Nuparu1995

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012