University!

BrickPharaoh

This topic is mainly dedicated to 2012 seniors or people who intend to go to university this coming year and/or people who are currently studying at university. I would like to know some people's opinion on what they think are the best schools to get into in their home country and whether or not they would enroll in universities somewhere else and why. I also would like to see how many people are interested in Engineering (especially mechanical, electrical or mechatronics) and what are the good schools that offer decent courses in these fields. I am personally hoping to get into the University of Sheffield because I've heard that it offers one of the best Mech.Eng courses in the UK. I'm quite interested in robotics and such, so that is why I'm hoping to get into that specific school. I also applied to Newcastle, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester. I would also apply to some schools as far away as Canada (since I live in Saudi Arabia), but I don't know a great deal about schools there. So, whadd'ya guys think? I really want to hear your take on this.If this topic is for any reason unacceptable/inappropriate, please report or delete it as soon as possible. I thought something like this would be totally legit considering the amount of COT's out there :POver and out!:tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Really? I'm also interested (to an extent) in archaeology (mainly Egyptology since I'm Egyptian :P). So what do you study over there?

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

I'm just finishing up my second year of uni for computer science here in the States. I'm computer science, but I know plenty of engineering majors, and some computer engineering courses are required for CS majors as well, so I get a good look at that side of things too.Way, way better than high school/secondary school, in any event. Being able to choose a lot of what you study makes a huge difference, and I've met a ton of great people here.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Wow. Now that I know what you're going to University for, TPtI, you just got a lot more awesome.Anyway, I'm attending Coastal Carolina University as a Marine Science major. I am uncertain as of yet whether I'm going to focus on marine geology or marine biology, but either way, sharks will be involved. (If I go with the former, I'm going to take a few more years after I get my PhD in Marine Science to get a degree in Paleontology.)

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, I'm over in the UK and if all goes well I'll be going to Exeter to study Law this September. My original plan was Sociology, but as a degree it's pretty much worthless, so Law it is.

I doubt I'm really eligible for discussion yet, given I'm not in University, nor will I be going in September. I'm only just getting through my AS Levels, though I'm already making my plans.What I want most of all is to go on and study English at the University of Southampton, which is, as far as I'm aware, really top notch for such a degree. Failing that, I'll be considering alternatives like Plymouth. I mainly want to go somewhere city based, somewhere very urban. Not for the nightlife, mind you. Just because those are my favourite types of environments.

I recommend checking out Exeter for English, as they're good at it. Pretty much all of my friends that want to do English are planning to go there. Not sure about the urban bit though.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I was really beginning to grow on English...when I started to realize it was my forte, but then I only took engineering into account and did two awful mistakes:1) Took AL math, physics and chemistry,2) Only applied for engineering courses!Do you have any idea on what the entry requirements are?

Assuming us State-ers can get in on this topic =P.I'm a college junior, third year in Seattle University in Washington state. I suppose my major is criminal justice... whatever they have an attached law school and that's where I'm going so deal.Honestly, it bores me to tears. I've never liked school... and this is just more of it. If nothing else, it's something to do without having to do anything else, so it could be worse. Not by much, but still. Even if I could graduate on time (I had some credits coming over that didn't translate as well as I thought they would, so I have to take an extra quarter) I definitely won't be taking the graduation walk; it's a horribly shameful waste of my time.I should probably double major and/or minor in psychology, but I'm just so incredibly apathetic towards all of it.

My original plan was Sociology, but as a degree it's pretty much worthless, so Law it is.

Story of my life, bro.

I hope Yanks can get in on this topic, otherwise I'd better pack up my earlier post and skedaddle before things get serious.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Feel free, dude! This is a free-for-all, I just wanted to see where other people are considering to go to college. And thumbs up for the sharks, btw!

Starting this August I will be attending Virginia Tech. I intended to major in architecture, but I didn't get into the program. I'll still (probably) try to transfer into the program, but I'll need to come up with some alternate choices.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

Do you know whether it has something close to robotics? (in the lines of mechanical, electronics, electromechanical, mechatronics, etc)

I am personally hoping to get into the University of Sheffield

I wouldn't know about Mech.Eng but I've been going there for Archaeology for three years now, and it's a good choice
MORE ARCHAEOLOGY MAJORS, YEAH!I'm currently a Junior, set to graduate next year. I initially came in as freshman thinking I'd do archaeology, but ultimately ended up switching to geologic/environmental sciences last year. I just didn't want to get into a field where the only available jobs are in academia. It's not a total loss, though, as I really enjoy my classes. They're hard, but fun.For those looking, it's hard to give advice because everyone has different tastes and situations. But I will say this: If a school offers you a free ride... always consider it, regardless of whether it's a first choice or not. Because in the grand scheme of things, it won't always matter where you got a degree from.
BZPRPG

Finishing up my sophmore year of computer science at Penn State University.Plenty of engineering majors. The College of Engineering's one of the largest here - and one of the biggest. We're known for complaining about how our workloads are so much bigger than other majors, and then others harp back on us about how elitest we are like that. But from what I've experienced and seen and heard, it is hard. At least with the amount of work. If you enjoy what you're doing (which really, I don't think you should be wasting time/money at a university if you aren't enjoying what you're studying), then it's not bad at all.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

For Robotics, Cybernetics and related subjects, Reading University seems to be quite good. They have quite a large department and I know loads of people on the course. I believe it is also the only University to offer Cybernetics as an Undergraduate degree. (The University also seems to have cornered the market on Meteorology and Agriculture, and has a sizeable and apparantly very good History/Classics/Archeaology etc. department).I'm in my third year there studying Philosophy. Four more exams, and I shall be done. Assuming I pass, anyway. Exams are evil.Oh. Reading also has one of the nicest campuses in the UK according to something or other. It's got green stuff and nature and everything!

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

Eh, depends on what you're going to university for. in fields like history, yeah, that sounds about right. If you're in there for sciences, though, you've got more of an opportunity to do interesting field-work, and the instruction is focused more on the concepts you need to use in order to understand the field you're working in, in addition to practical instruction to make sure that you don't just understand the concepts as abstract things, but that you are able to apply them to the real world.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Utica College in August. I'm planning on majoring in History. The only career that pops into my mind with that is teaching it, and the last time I checked, there's a bit of a demand for male teachers. So I'll have to aim for Masters. My plans, give or take 5-10 years, I'd go for a Doctorate, and become a history professor.

Soon to come: Star Wars 7.

I'm currently pursuing a degree in Psychology at Rutgers University, mostly because I want to work with special-education kids and there are several schools that cater to special-education individuals within twenty minutes of the campus.

Eh, depends on what you're going to university for. in fields like history, yeah, that sounds about right. If you're in there for sciences, though, you've got more of an opportunity to do interesting field-work, and the instruction is focused more on the concepts you need to use in order to understand the field you're working in, in addition to practical instruction to make sure that you don't just understand the concepts as abstract things, but that you are able to apply them to the real world.

Well put. I can see where Dorek and Tilius are coming from, but that's hardly the case 100% of the time. As a computer science major, most of my classes I take because they're interesting to me and because I actually get something out of it that I can use later. There is a thesis waiting for me down the line, but I'm able to choose the subject, and most likely a lot of my work for it will be original experimentation and research. Not to mention I've got a job with Microsoft this summer that I'll be using all of this at, as well as some stuff from outside my classes from within the university (certain professor's research, etc.) And even in the liberal arts, it's not always going to be a drudge. My brother did a double major in history in political science, and he loved every minute of it - he's using the history to write a novel, and the poly sci working on campaigns and anti-poverty initiatives.But even if you do find the studies a drag, university does (or at least should) offer you a lot of new experiences and people. I've met a lot of friends here at uni and had a lot of good times. I certainly wouldn't have landed this Microsoft job without going here.So - at least in my experience - uni's a pretty good time. It's not always the case, but hopefully it is for you. Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

I entirely agree that uni is fun. I've enjoyed my time there and usually the stuff I'm learning about is interesting. The mere fact that I'm not on site the whole time gives me a far greater feeling of independance about my studies. While the University does try to get everyone to turn up to lectures all the time, I've yet to see any evidence of them enforcing that. A register is usually taken, they sent out emails at the beginning of the year saying that attendance is mandatory etc. however I've missed loads of lectures and have had no follow-up.While there are similarities between Uni and school, I in no way see them as the same. School required doing lots of exercises, homework etc. in addition to turning up to all the classes, doing coursework and exams. Your progress was constantly checked up on and non-attendance would usually result in some sort of follow-up. At Uni, the only work that has to be completed is the coursework, no one's going to hound you constantly about not turning up (unless you make a real habit of it) and if work is set, then it's because it counts towards the course. You're expected to be able to do the work in your own time and, short of the odd reminders, lecturers will only chase you up on it if it's late or if you've asked them for help.Besides, I don't think University is about the work. That's a part of it, and doing it is what will get you something at the end, but so much of it is about the experience. It's about learning to live away from home, encountering new people and experiences and learning important things like how to manage your own time and money etc. I have really enjoyed the experience, and I'm going to miss it. Also, frankly, it seems far more enjoyable (and worthwhile) than 99% of the jobs out there.

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

I just realized I said Danska in my post when I meant Dorek. Go me. Sorry for any confusion.But I also quite agree with you, Danska. While you're expected to put in the time, you're generally expected to do so on your own terms, and in many classes attendance is recommended, not required. There are exceptions, of course, in particular intensive classes such as foreign languages, but generally you have a good deal more autonomy.

My original plan was Sociology, but as a degree it's pretty much worthless, so Law it is.

Story of my life, bro.
Third-ed. Currently moving into junior year of pre-law/polisci. Not sure if im going to go to law school or attempt to get a job as a staffer. I know I don't want to be a court lawyer.

Assuming us State-ers can get in on this topic =P.I'm a college junior, third year in Seattle University in Washington state. I suppose my major is criminal justice... whatever they have an attached law school and that's where I'm going so deal.Honestly, it bores me to tears. I've never liked school... and this is just more of it. If nothing else, it's something to do without having to do anything else, so it could be worse. Not by much, but still. Even if I could graduate on time (I had some credits coming over that didn't translate as well as I thought they would, so I have to take an extra quarter) I definitely won't be taking the graduation walk; it's a horribly shameful waste of my time.I should probably double major and/or minor in psychology, but I'm just so incredibly apathetic towards all of it.

THIS GUYS SO RIGHT!It is just extended school. Like, I can't stress that enough. Registers are taken at classes, despite the whole thing being intended to make you more independent. You write on inconsequential subjects (at least in history) and are encouraged to seek the approval of your lecturers. If you read enough, you'll get a good grade in the end. It's no indication of actual raw intelligence, just how up for reading constantly you are. It also likes to convince you that unimportant things are important - like attending lectures, getting good marks etc, which then stresses you out because you think you need to do well at university to succeed in life, when you don't. Seriously, on those occasions where people are committing suicide because of their workload, you know something's gone wrong.If you want to spend all of three/four years writing masses of stuff in the hope that people considered 'above' you will say 'yeah this fits my definition of good, you fit in, well done', then go for it. But it seems strange for a whole concept to be based around the idea of seeking approval, when it's advertised as promoting your independence.I'm of the conviction that by the end of university, its flaws are what you're supposed to have realised, and those that realise they don't want to be a COG IN A FLAWED MACHINE are the ones who win.- Tilius
You make some excellent points, with the exception of a few things, though... You see, I'm an Egyptian currently living in Saudi Arabia. My best chances of getting a decent post-secondary education are somewhere not less that a couple thousand miles from here. As you may know, most people like myself (hoping to get into Uni somewhere outside their country of origin/residence) must be somehow financially stable. My father is on the verge of giving away a huge sum of money so that I be properly educated out there. So in order to honor him and make him proud, I really have to exhaust every single brain cell I have and be willing to strive for success. So whether I like it or not, I have to study hard and work hard, and more importantly, make the best out of my education. You say that where you get the degree from doesn't matter, and neither does whether you are a good university student or not, but if someone were to commit to all of that, logic pretty much says that he or she would go far in life. There's no guarantee for what kind of future you could secure through your university education, but why not give it your best shot? :tohu:

If you're going to university to make your dad proud, you're going for completely the wrong reason.And also, given how many people get into uni these days, it's no indication of how far you'll go in life. And there are people with bad grades who achieve more in their lives than those with good grades.But seriously, don't go to university just because you feel you have some obligation to make your dad proud and get his approval. It won't end well.- Tilius

You got the whole wrong idea; I'm going to the university in hopes of securing an education that will enable me to contribute change to the world, in addition to the educational experience abroad. I personally like to learn, especially if it's something I enjoy. I've always pictured myself as an engineer, and that would be impossible without a college degree. I'm not the complaisant "eager-to-please" person you may have gotten the impression of, but if my parents' satisfaction is a plus, so be it. I have great love and respect for them, and pleasing them is not a hurdle. Besides, I wouldn't want to eventually end up with a permanent 9-to-5 job and just call it a day; I want to innovate and attain a cool job with a lot of perks, and maybe even some day open up my own firm. Another goal of mine is charity work, which I can't manage without a considerable amount of money. My mother would always nudge me and push me towards medicine, but I was always against it, and told her to respect my decision and she was eventually convinced. This is proof that my goal isn't to please them as you may have thought. So maybe I do have it figured out, at least that's the plan :P:tohu: