Discrepancies In Bionicle

Well, while reading the Bionicle Encyclopedia and Makuta's Guide to the Universe, I have noticed several discrepancies.A few examples:In Dark Mirror someone says something about "incinerating his essence". I am pretty sure that the "essence" of a Bionicle is the same thing as its spirit, which would seem that Makuta isn't dead. (Makutas don't need bodies (at least for a while), and so his spirit would be floating around for a while, but I don't recall anyone "incinerating" it.In Makuta's Guide to the Universe, the map at the back, near the bottom near where Mata Nui (the robot)'s feet are says something like "These are only the islands that have been visited. What lies beyond is a mystery.", which foreshadows that there are more islands past the feet, which would be impossible.What have you noticed?

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Apparent discrepencies, you mean. :P People have a habit of assuming things are inconsistencies when they really are complexities, or often the person has misunderstood something.

In Dark Mirror someone says something about "incinerating his essence". I am pretty sure that the "essence" of a Bionicle is the same thing as its spirit, which would seem that Makuta isn't dead. (Makutas don't need bodies (at least for a while), and so his spirit would be floating around for a while, but I don't recall anyone "incinerating" it.
This appears to be a case in point, but you didn't give much detail so it would be helpful if you'd give more context.I remember in a serial the death of a Makuta was mentioned, by incinerating his antidermis. This is fully consistent with all canon; this is one way to kill a Makuta. If you're talking about some other being, not a Makuta, that would be different, but I think you mean a Makuta.Another way to kill them is if their antidermis -- which is like a gas -- is left free-floating for enough time so that it naturally dissipates.Also, there's no such thing in the canon as "a Bionicle", as "Bionicle" refers to the legends, in-story, and out-story refers to the whole franchise and story universe, not to specific beings. Anyways, since you say "a Bionicle" like that though it sounds like you think that the rules for Makuta are related to the rules for beings like Toa and Matoran, but they aren't. Also, calling it a spirit that floats around is not quite accurate, although their spirit is inside the antidermis that floats around.Probably you have misunderstood the systems Bionicle has for different beings, confusing antidermis for Toa and Matoran spirits, which can attach to Kanohi after death, enabling Jaller-style revival.
In Makuta's Guide to the Universe, the map at the back, near the bottom near where Mata Nui (the robot)'s feet are says something like "These are only the islands that have been visited. What lies beyond is a mystery.", which foreshadows that there are more islands past the feet, which would be impossible.
I've never read this one, but it was probably just meant to imply that there might be more. But I was under the impression that the islands in the legs hadn't been visited, so that itself might be a contradiction. When was that one published in relation to the reveal that Mata Nui = giant robot?But you said, "something like." What exactly did it say? Maybe you confused a line saying that the southern islands hadn't been visited? :shrugs:Edit: Thanks to Aanchir below; clearly yes, you misunderstood it. It's okay, it happens. :) But word to the wise, avoid thinking like "something like." That can get inaccurate fast.Also, this line:
I am pretty sure that the "essence" of a Bionicle is the same thing as its spirit, which would seem that Makuta isn't dead.
By Makuta, do you mean Teridax, from the final giant robot fight? He's confirmed dead by Greg. Three reasons: 1) His mind was being stored in the machinery that was destroyed instantly, 2) impacts make heat; such an impact could vaporize (thus incinerate) antidermis, 3) impact could rapidly spread out any antidermis that wasn't incinerated, making it dissipate instantly anyways.Basically it sounds like you used the wrong approach to fiction; you took one bit, made up your own theory (that what can continue on with Makuta is just a spirit, like a ghost), and then when something else in the fiction contradicted your theory, you saw it as a contradiction in canon.The right approach is to consider the whole fiction as it is and only form a theory that fits all the evidence; if new evidence contradicts your theory, throw out the theory. :) (Plus sometimes a definite answer has been given by Greg as in this example.) Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well, while reading the Bionicle Encyclopedia and Makuta's Guide to the Universe, I have noticed several discrepancies.A few examples:In Dark Mirror someone says something about "incinerating his essence". I am pretty sure that the "essence" of a Bionicle is the same thing as its spirit, which would seem that Makuta isn't dead. (Makutas don't need bodies (at least for a while), and so his spirit would be floating around for a while, but I don't recall anyone "incinerating" it.In Makuta's Guide to the Universe, the map at the back, near the bottom near where Mata Nui (the robot)'s feet are says something like "These are only the islands that have been visited. What lies beyond is a mystery.", which foreshadows that there are more islands past the feet, which would be impossible.What have you noticed?
The quote in Makuta's Guide to the Universe isn't a discrepancy at all. It says nobody has explored past Artidax, and what lies beyond it is a mystery. Artidax is in Mata Nui's upper leg on that map, nowhere near the feet, and there are several islands south of it.Even if it were talking about what was beyond the southernmost islands, it wouldn't necessarily need to be foreshadowing other islands. It could just as easily be talking about the giant wall made by the bottoms of Mata Nui's feet.

Seems like that mystery which lies "beyond" is simply the end of the Matoran Universe, being at its southernmost region. Exactly how what lied beyond the Great Barrier near Metru Nui was a mystery.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Seems like that mystery which lies "beyond" is simply the end of the Matoran Universe, being at its southernmost region. Exactly how what lied beyond the Great Barrier near Metru Nui was a mystery.
In bionicle 2: LoMN, the toa metru left metru nui and past the great barrier which exits the robot mata nui and discovered the island of mata nui, which covered his robot face. Edited by bohrokmaster

In bionicle 2: LoMN, the toa metru left metru nui and past the great barrier which exits the robot mata nui and discovered the island of mata nui, which covered his robot face.
Well, we of course know all about that now, but back then, it was a mystery to its residents.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

my only concern was the robot mata nui, it seems worrying that the mata nui robot carries all of the islands deep inside of his body. especially when the evil makuta controlled his robot body in order to rule their multi-world within it and plan to use it for battle in bara magna, so mata nui could accidently attack it, creating an earthquake to the matoran universe (I would prefer to call it matoran world) within the robot mata nui's body. :unsure:

Edited by bohrokmaster

bohrokmaster, it is very likely that there is some kind of inertial dampener (as with Star Trek) to lessen any such effect. The Great Cataclysm is about as strong an impact as is possible, falling onto a planet, and although it did create a devestating quake it did not utterly destroy the dome realms or kill many people etc. So Mata Nui's combat in the final battle would not have made quakes anywhere near that strong, maybe barely felt if at all, including the fragment destroying the back of the head, although falling on its back after that probably did make a noticeable quake (but since it was not as far a fall by a long shot it wouldn't have been as bad as the GC).Also, it's important to keep in mind everything in there is made of protodermis, which merely imitates normal physics. Everything there may be far more resilient to quakes than normal matter would be.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

One of my questions is this. If Makuta Tridax had the Mask of Darkness when his armor was smashed by the door going from Mangaia to Metru Nui, then how did Icarax get it?
Basically, this one is from Bionicle Legends #4: Legacy of Evil. The Piraka raided Makuta Teridax's lair after he was killed, and Reidak tried to steal Teridax's mask. The mask attacked Reidak with shadow bolts, causing him to throw the mask into the sea. Later, Icarax journeyed to Metru Nui and retrieved the mask from the sea.

One of my questions is this. If Makuta Tridax had the Mask of Darkness when his armor was smashed by the door going from Mangaia to Metru Nui, then how did Icarax get it?
From BioSector01: "When the Piraka went to the Great Barrier to raid Teridax's lair, Reidak tried to steal the mask. However, it blasted him with Shadow bolts when he picked it up, so he threw it into the Silver Sea."
Ah, I remember another, though not really an error.Mata Nui - Toa MataMetru Nui - Toa MetruVoya Nui - Toa Inika?It would seem like it should be Toa Voya (though, as I said, this isn't really an error).
The Toa Inika were created when a bolt of the Red Star hit their canisters. Toa cannot only have the team name of their place of origin but also for the cause of their transformation (like Inika or Hordika)And, sincerely, Toa Voya sounds a little stupid Edited by Isaac_Clarke
didact.jpg

In Makuta's Guide to the Universe, the map at the back, near the bottom near where Mata Nui (the robot)'s feet are says something like "These are only the islands that have been visited. What lies beyond is a mystery.", which foreshadows that there are more islands past the feet, which would be impossible.
The mystery is the outside of the MU, which they don't know about.

aouROFb.png

The main problem with franchises such as Bionicle is that there will always be discrepancies. It's simply a fact of life.That being said, none of the discrepancies in Bionicle are all that noticeable/impactful. I can't think of any off of the top of my head. :P

• 2 weeks later...

It would be easier if mata nui wasn't a character and him and makuta as brothers. lego could have launched bionicle without the legend of mata nui, it seems worrying that the story behind it was all about mata nui as their fictional god. shouldn't the Toa Mata's goal be about fighting makuta and other villians and not only freeing the island of mata nui but saving the world as well? when the Toa Mata/Nuva went to Karda nui, they should find clues and discover the cave world of karda nui was inside the giant robot, toa ignika would sacrafice himself to revive the robot so the robot would create a new world for them, it would also cause an energy storm in karda nui as a sign that toa ignika has powered up the giant robot. Toa Ignika would have died but he would make a suprise comeback and rejoin the toa and when the toa nuva went back to metru nui, they saw the giant robot and the evil makuta using it. he would project his face or mask to them in public and reveal his evil plans and tell the toa nuva that they've lost...but all hope is not lost, makuta has already created an army of rahkshi and skakdi (piraka species) there will be a big battle in metru nui, similar to the battle of hogwarts in harry potter, all the toa: toa nuva, toa mahri (with toa matoro) toa hagah and millions of matoran came together as a resistance team against makuta. keetongu and all the other titans (Axonn and brutaka) helped them in their battle, Axonn and Brutaka puts their differences aside and Brutaka realised that the toa are fighting for their lives and could be in real danger. the toa nuva will discover another giant robot smaller than makuta's. they went inside and they discovered it has all the controls needed to fight back, and they used the giant robot to rise up, the toa's robot would be covered in dirt and vegetation to show how ancient the robot is and it would be identical to makuta's robot. the toa's robot and the makuta robot will be in an epic battle, onua and pohatu used their elemental powers which channels through the robot's arms and blasted makuta, tahu also used his elemental powers to attack makuta. makuta attacks them and punched their robot. the toa felt the attack from makuta, gali and lewa used their elemental powers to fight back and attacked makuta with the robot's hands. makuta didn't give up, he was determined to win and built an empire, and take control as their ruler. after their last desperate attempt to stop him, makuta lost the battle with the toa nuva and he died from their attack. makuta's robot head took a strong blow from the toa and their robot, as he fell onto the island of voya nui, his antidermis dies and faded away slowly forever. makuta is gone forever.

Edited by bohrokmaster

I think what you're saying is you don't the way the story went, and that you think it should have gone differently. That is not a discrepancy, that is just a personal complaint. I'm sure that there are topics for disscussing things like that.Also, next time you make a long post please break it up into paragraphs; it makes it far easier to read.More on topic, I seem to remember reading that Mutran invented Tridax pods, but that they were named after Tridax. Why? Shouldn't they have been named after Mutran instead?

"Only the insane equate pain with success.

Only the savage regard endurance of pain as a measure of worth.

Only the foolish consider pain to be just wages for being different".- The Cheshire Cat (American McGee's Alice/Alice:Madness Returns)

More on topic, I seem to remember reading that Mutran invented Tridax pods, but that they were named after Tridax. Why? Shouldn't they have been named after Mutran instead?
Although Mutran created them, they were named after Tridax because they were based on an idea of his.From the BS01 Tridax Pod page:
The pods were created by Makuta Mutran, based on an idea of Makuta Tridax.