The Dark Knight Rises

Stryker055

I still say that the Lucador mask would have offended Hispanics. The country may be fictional, but the ethnicity is still itentified as Latino. Making him a Latino and putting a Lucador mask on him uses a stereotype, and you don't want to use an ethnic stereotype for a villain.
This is so stupid! People scream racist at everything! Why haven't the comics been protested, then, hmm? Bane is not a new character!EMP is like it overloads electrical items which disable them for a temporary period. Or, in Fallout, they blow up robots. Neato!
Have to agree with ~JC~ on this one, I highly doubt that giving Bane his traditional Luchador mask would have been offensive. Admittedly, most Luchador masks are pretty bright and colorful and Bane probably would have looked seriously out of place (and even a bit silly) wearing one in what's been a more serious take on the Batman series.

To me, functional masks/breathing apparati => Luchadore masks.Besides, with a Luchadore mask, Tom Hardy's Bane would remind me more of Killbane from Saints Row: The Third than the 'real' Bane. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

So I recently saw it with my cousin.

Afterwards he was convinced that Bruce didn't actually survive. I figured it must have been another Inception ending. I guess neither of us caught the part where he fixed the autopilot.

It was a pretty great movie. I actually can't figure out which part of the trilogy was my favorite; Bane and Joker were great villains, but the first had more great Batman action.

Edited by Roablin
banner.png

One thing I like a lot about Bane is how he always had his hands in his collar. It gave off a cocky sort of mannerism, like he knew he could intimidate anybody just by looking at them.
That combined with the way he walked a lot gave this great air of cockiness (that he could actually back up). I loved it, my dad said he'd love to try and mimic it. Tom Hardy did a great job with body language as Bane.
rahkshi_symbol.png

This is so stupid! People scream racist at everything! Why haven't the comics been protested, then, hmm? Bane is not a new character!
:kaukau: Precisely, because people scream racist at everything. People screamed racist as Avatar and The Last Airbender, among a million other things. You might as well sidestep the issue. The comics, meanwhile, have a more specific audience. I've noticed over time that most comic book fans don't care about what's politically correct, to put things in general terms.
olympic_rings_icon.png

This is so stupid! People scream racist at everything! Why haven't the comics been protested, then, hmm? Bane is not a new character!
:kaukau: Precisely, because people scream racist at everything. People screamed racist as Avatar and The Last Airbender, among a million other things. You might as well sidestep the issue. The comics, meanwhile, have a more specific audience. I've noticed over time that most comic book fans don't care about what's politically correct, to put things in general terms.
olympic_rings_icon.png

I think you're sidestepping the issue

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

:kaukau: By "you" I was referring to any director hypothetically directing the film, in this case Christopher Nolan. So yet, if I was, hypothetically speaking, in Nolan's place, I would have sidestepped the issue. Meanwhile, Nacho Libre and Mucha Lucha were different and you know it. Those were light comedies that happened to have wrestling as part of their setting. I brought up Avatar and The Last Airbender because they were closer comparisons.

olympic_rings_icon.png

People will always find ways to blame movies for racism or any other kind of issue. That hasn't stopped anyone from making movies the way they should be made. Avatar was incredibly successful regardless of the [nonexistent] racial undertones. The Last Airbender was unsuccessful, but for other reasons entirely.-SK

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally actually saw Batman.It was pretty good. Predictable to a T, but everybody was committed to making it a great viewing experience, and it was. Bane's voice was hit and miss in the beginning, but it worked out better toward the end.

The only thing that surprised me to some degree was the fact Bane was the LT, not the main villain. I wasn't sure if they retconned *That* woman out of the plot and changed bane to Raz's son, or not, until halfway through.

The Redwall RPG; closed now
Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years
Credit to Supernova Productions and Expired! for the Avatar.

Apparently I'm now Kopaka?

I had initially forgotten about the whole potential of a misdirect until about halfway through, when they were actually relating the backstory. The accounts themselves made absolutely no sense with the timeline presented, so it was either shoddy storytelling or there was a fake-out coming. Even if someone didn't know the comics, it would have been pretty obvious =P. Still a good movie.

I have no idea what GEEWUN is but my point still stands. With other reboots and whatnot the character is still the same at the core. (this applies to separate continuities as well) Nolan's Bane is such a drastic change that there are no hints of the original.Bane is one of favorite villains and Nolan did not do him justice, at all.
The question here is whether what defines Bane is his character or his appearance.If you based the Bane from the film off the linchidor waring, venom addicted, brute that many people would recognize, the result might have been this.No one wants that. By using the recognizable mask from the comic books it would have been harder to create a dramatic portrayal of the character. I think in order to best capture idea of the Villon who brook the bat a skilled actor was necessary and I doubt someone like Tom Hardy would have agreed to the role if his expression was covered the entire movie. Bane needed talent to capture the role, any schmuck can play a bruiser with his face covered but in this case someone with more talent was certainly required.I think the Bane in the movie was perfect. If people were so worried about appearances they would be complaining about the Jocker having scars as opposed to falling in chemicals or Two-Face's burns being from fire, not acid. What defines the characters is not how they look in the comic or even their back-story. What matters is their motivation, mannerisms, personality, and who they make the audience feel.Nolan did a good job of bringing Bane back to his roots. He used the the prison but did not bother with it being in South America. The location is irreverent, what mattes is how it formed Bane into the person he is in the movie. Ra and Talia Al Gual May have had a bigger impact on his life then Venom did so it was nice that he selected that component over the drug. That allowed us to focus more on his motivations then the venom would have.In the original Knightfall comic Bane was not memorable because he wore a cheesy mask or was pumping venom into his body. He was memorable because of his his power, intelligence, and braking batman. In this case, Nolan handled the character perfectly.

That is all

I think the Bane in the movie was perfect. If people were so worried about appearances they would be complaining about the Jocker having scars as opposed to falling in chemicals or Two-Face's burns being from fire, not acid. What defines the characters is not how they look in the comic or even their back-story. What matters is their motivation, mannerisms, personality, and who they make the audience feel.Nolan did a good job of bringing Bane back to his roots. He used the the prison but did not bother with it being in South America. The location is irreverent, what mattes is how it formed Bane into the person he is in the movie. Ra and Talia Al Gual May have had a bigger impact on his life then Venom did so it was nice that he selected that component over the drug. That allowed us to focus more on his motivations then the venom would have.
:kaukau: These are very great points. Essentially this was at the core of my argument, but I guess I never put the words together like they are presented here.
olympic_rings_icon.png