What Would You Like To See In A Fan Game?

Emzee

• 2 weeks later...
Multi-player MNOG game. That would be epic.
How could MNOG be made multiplayer? It's really a single player game to the core.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Sorry if someone mentioned this (most of this forum was TL;DR for me), but what I would really like to see is the original MNOG remastered in real-time 3D. It's actually something I've started, but unlikely to come to fruition (I have exactly zero experience in game development, esp. programming). I feel like the first MNOG is one of reasons Bionicle really became popular, and most of us remember it with an incredibly sense of nostalgia. To experience a remastered version, imo, would be breathtaking.

It's been forever since I provided a status update, but I finally found time to work on B:CoD and have already laid the foundation for the game. The source code is available here, as always: https://github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/Call-of-Destiny/

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

A third-person shooter with a good story, and of course some melee weapons for when you get close. Destructible cover of varying hardness. Guards and bosses. Online multiplayer option. I don't really care whether it's 3D or not.
Sounds quite a bit (story, guards, and bosses aside) like what we have/had planned for B:CoD. :)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Well, I don't play many fan games (I'm mostly an MNOLG guy), but I do like to things like that of a canonical nature. Arcade-style games are cool too. :)

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Quick update on licensing: It turns out that character representations aren't covered by copyright law, so someone could legally commercially use the artwork for B:CoD as long as they take out any trademarked parts that may or may not be in the artwork (names, logos, etc...). As long as the rest of the team is fine with this (assuming you guys are still interested - it's taken me a while just to get this far, due to lack of free time), I'll switch the artwork license to CC-BY-SA like originally planned.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

It's been forever since I provided a status update, but I finally found time to work on B:CoD and have already laid the foundation for the game. The source code is available here, as always: https://github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/Call-of-Destiny/
It's good to hear that some progress is being made on B:CoD. When do you think that there will be enough tangible progress to get a topic , and/ or what the next step is? Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Quick update on licensing: It turns out that character representations aren't covered by copyright law, so someone could legally commercially use the artwork for B:CoD as long as they take out any trademarked parts that may or may not be in the artwork (names, logos, etc...). As long as the rest of the team is fine with this (assuming you guys are still interested - it's taken me a while just to get this far, due to lack of free time), I'll switch the artwork license to CC-BY-SA like originally planned.
I am. Dunno about the rest of the gang, but if you still wanna make BCOD a reality, then I'll help with concept art like before. :)

A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

I am. Dunno about the rest of the gang, but if you still wanna make BCOD a reality, then I'll help with concept art like before. :)
I'm still bent on making B:CoD a reality - I would definitely appreciate it if you helped out with concept art. :)
It's been forever since I provided a status update, but I finally found time to work on B:CoD and have already laid the foundation for the game. The source code is available here, as always: https://github.com/D...all-of-Destiny/
It's good to hear that some progress is being made on B:CoD. When do you think that there will be enough tangible progress to get a topic , and/ or what the next step is?
I think the major roadblock at this stage is getting some artwork that can be used in-game, so it would be appreciated if anyone out there with 3D modeling skills could contribute. :) That aside, a little bit of code still needs to be written, but artwork is still the major roadblock at the moment.The next step? Either 1) finding someone who has 3D modeling skills, or 2) getting the original B:CoD team back together - like I said before, I took a while to get the code to where it's at today, so a lot of interest from the other team members has been lost, in all likelihood. Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Only a little bit of code left? I had no idea you have been doing that much!Maybe you could as maphrox, or someoneelse that made models for BNG, to make or edit those models to have less polygns?As JediKnightKrazy says alot, you should use cubes first and other simple stuff, and get the detailed models later.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

WOOT PROGRESS! HE'S ALIVE!@Bulik: Yep, cubes, capsules, and planes make for great starting art. You won't get to test the complexity of skeletal animation, but it's a start and being able to walk around and shoot stuff is a major milestone that we should get to as soon as possible, even if it means it's not recognizably BIONICLE.If that's not enough to start a topic, I could probably hack together a placeholder 100 poly Toa-ish model until we get some better artists on board.

Edited by Jedi Knight Krazy

IrMSNn3.png

WOOT PROGRESS! HE'S ALIVE!If that's not enough to start a topic, I could probably hack together a placeholder 100 poly Toa-ish model until we get some better artists on board.
Urge to sing a certain song from Portal...regains sanityYeah, I think a Toa model (or some model) would be good indication of progress - I doubt the mere presence of code would be an indication of progress to people who can't read it. (I do hope no-one takes that the wrong way...)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

• 2 weeks later...

UltraHau! I thought we may have lost you to the ever-present world of real life.I'm still interested, although in the last few months I took up a number of... ambitious... game projects myself. I'd still like to help though.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

UltraHau! I thought we may have lost you to the ever-present world of real life.I'm still interested, although in the last few months I took up a number of... ambitious... game projects myself. I'd still like to help though.
Real Life does have a way of dragging you away kicking and screaming, doesn't it? :) Great to hear you're still interested too, by the way.
WOOT PROGRESS! HE'S ALIVE!@Bulik: Yep, cubes, capsules, and planes make for great starting art. You won't get to test the complexity of skeletal animation, but it's a start and being able to walk around and shoot stuff is a major milestone that we should get to as soon as possible, even if it means it's not recognizably BIONICLE.If that's not enough to start a topic, I could probably hack together a placeholder 100 poly Toa-ish model until we get some better artists on board.
I think a placeholder model would be better indication of progress than a simple geometric primitive, but I agree - we're still in need of a 3D artist. It would be great if you could make the placeholder Toa though. :)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I think a placeholder model would be better indication of progress than a simple geometric primitive, but I agree - we're still in need of a 3D artist. It would be great if you could make the placeholder Toa though. :)
Here's what I'm working on: SFkqJ.pngLooks more like a Metru-Matoran right now, actually... but once I add another leg, arms, and a head, it'll at least be passable until we find somebody with more talent than me. That is to say, somebody with any talent at all.

IrMSNn3.png

Since its been quite a while since we talked about B:CoD, i have a few questions.1.Are the "guns" in BCoD going to act like real guns? i.e tahus fire sword could act like a basic pistol2. will players be able to customize their character to their liking like in bionicle fighter broken virtues?3. What should be in the first demo? I think 2 or 3 maps. 2 of the classes, and maybe options like adjusting the sound for example.

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

Since its been quite a while since we talked about B:CoD, i have a few questions.1.Are the "guns" in BCoD going to act like real guns? i.e tahus fire sword could act like a basic pistol2. will players be able to customize their character to their liking like in bionicle fighter broken virtues?3. What should be in the first demo? I think 2 or 3 maps. 2 of the classes, and maybe options like adjusting the sound for example.
Well, I can't speak for the rest of the team, but here are my opinions:1. No. We're aiming for Bionicle shooter, not Bionicle-themed shooter. Tahu's firesword would probably act primarily as a melee weapon, but you could use an ability to shoot a fireball, do a flamethrower thing, etc.2. Probably not. We're aiming for simplicity to get that jump-in-and-play feeling; we don't want to overwhelm players with options before they start.3. Probably not even that - I'm thinking a blocky, poorly modeled Toa walking around a poorly designed map and maybe shooting fireballs at wooden crates.

IrMSNn3.png

Well, I can't speak for the rest of the team, but here are my opinions:1. No. We're aiming for Bionicle shooter, not Bionicle-themed shooter. Tahu's firesword would probably act primarily as a melee weapon, but you could use an ability to shoot a fireball, do a flamethrower thing, etc.2. Probably not. We're aiming for simplicity to get that jump-in-and-play feeling; we don't want to overwhelm players with options before they start.3. Probably not even that - I'm thinking a blocky, poorly modeled Toa walking around a poorly designed map and maybe shooting fireballs at wooden crates.
About when?

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

thanks for answering my questions man. anyway, i drew a piece of concept art today. Feel free to give some feedback. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pickle962/BM/000_0009.jpg

That is to say, somebody with any talent at all.
...I must have negative talent....
2. will players be able to customize their character to their liking like in bionicle fighter broken virtues?
2. Probably not. We're aiming for simplicity to get that jump-in-and-play feeling; we don't want to overwhelm players with options before they start.
I think character customization would be a good thing. We already have some customization planned (elements, weapons, masks, right?), so why not colors and piece styles and whatever else? Just have sensible defaults.

Muffin button

2. will players be able to customize their character to their liking like in bionicle fighter broken virtues?
2. Probably not. We're aiming for simplicity to get that jump-in-and-play feeling; we don't want to overwhelm players with options before they start.
I think character customization would be a good thing. We already have some customization planned (elements, weapons, masks, right?), so why not colors and piece styles and whatever else? Just have sensible defaults.
Wait, when did we decide on customizable weapons and mask powers?

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

thanks for answering my questions man. anyway, i drew a piece of concept art today. Feel free to give some feedback. http://www.brickshel...BM/000_0009.jpg
YES. I like this. I'm not too sure about the gauntlets, though, and the arms and lower body are kind of bland. If they had the same amount of detail and visual interest as the armor, though, it'd be about perfect.
As far as I can remember, you choose your element in the form of a character class; I think we had three Toa/Skakdi and three Vahki/Rahkshi per team? Weapons/masks would be a combination of field pickups and class defaults. I could see some Halo-style appearance customization, but it would be a much later feature because I'd imagine it would take a lot of work, both software and artistic, and it really doesn't add anything to gameplay.

IrMSNn3.png

I would like to see a game similar to Fire Emblem, like where you move your characters around on a field, and then battle the enemies when you're in range, but it's not a long lengthy battle sequence, just a quick animation showing what happens and the outcome, and a Janken weakness system, like what they added maze of shadows. This also allows alternate endings, because in Fire Emblem, when somebody on the team dies, they Die. And the ending is further determined by how many survive and what relation they have to one another.

PM me for a chance to have your own custom hero appear in a story I'm writing. Pm me if you want to have your Hero in the story, and I'll give you details!s7tCK.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Its been awhile so I'm not sure if any progress has been made on B:COD. Nonetheless, I "revamped" an earlier piece of concept art and would like to hear what everyone thinks. :) http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pickle962/BM/000_0010.jpg

Edited by P962

Another update: Sorry I've been quiet (again). Life's getting in the way, which hampers progress on B:CoD somewhat. Hopefully I'll be able to finish off the code (not art) necessary for a simple demo in one or two weeks.

Its been awhile so I'm not sure if any progress has been made on B:COD. Nonetheless, I "revamped" an earlier piece of concept art and would like to hear what everyone thinks. :) http://www.brickshel...BM/000_0010.jpg
Looks great - I especially like the mask. I think the torso is a bit blocky, though.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I'd like to see some realtime combat games (like the BIONICLE fighter game) based on the storyline. More games like the 2003 game if possible.It'd be cool to see some expanded-universe style games with their own storylines and characters (such as an Agori version of MNOG before the arrival of the Mata Nui Robot).

The Legend Lives...

Aside from suggesting things that have already been suggested, I already see people suggesting RPGs and that one could use RPG-Maker to do it. Cool, but I also see quite a few who want FPS, and I would not mind that either, so an engine I recommend that is freeware, it was made by Bungie and the Bungie community and it is called Aleph One, you can find it here.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Aside from suggesting things that have already been suggested, I already see people suggesting RPGs and that one could use RPG-Maker to do it. Cool, but I also see quite a few who want FPS, and I would not mind that either, so an engine I recommend that is freeware, it was made by Bungie and the Bungie community and it is called Aleph One, you can find it here.
Engines and development are usually not a problem. The real issue with making a BIONICLE game is getting the graphics. The reason RPG Maker was so popular back in the FCG Golden Age was that tons of premade graphics were available. Not only were great-looking tilesets and terrain built into the program itself, but you could find hundreds of Matoran and Toa sprites on Brickshelf. The best part about those sprites is that they're low-res enough that you could easily tweak them to fit your own characters - even make some from scratch if you needed to.Similarly, you'll note that a lot of current FCG games (read: the only current FCG game, Bionicle Fighter) use the Rayg kit for detailed, recognizable side-scrolling graphics.When you get into 3D games, or even higher-res 2D games, there's a huge issue with graphics. Programmers aren't artists, and even if they can throw some models together, they can quickly become overwhelmed by the sheer volume of content they have to create. For a community of maybe 10 players, the effort just isn't worth it. Hopefully Call of Destiny will be an exception.Actually, that brings up a good point. We should make Call of Destiny's graphics fairly set-accurate and generic so that other people can use them - maybe it'll breathe new life into the FCG forum and inspire other 3D games.

IrMSNn3.png

Yes, I can attest that if it weren't for the kits available, my game wouldn't have gotten very far at all. I can sprite a bit - and lately I've been improving - but without Rayg as a base there likely wouldn't have been any nice BIONICLE graphics from me. I work best with references.

Ah yes, Aleph One. I've been following that project for a while - it's a great engine, but uses horribly-outdated technology (that's to be expected, since Marathon is almost 20 years old IIRC). That does make me think about using an already-made FPS engine (ioquake3, iodoom3, Darkplaces, etc...) instead of writing a FPS layer on top of a generic game engine, like I/we were planning on.
Actually, that brings up a good point. We should make Call of Destiny's graphics fairly set-accurate and generic so that other people can use them - maybe it'll breathe new life into the FCG forum and inspire other 3D games.
Good idea - I'd like to see a lot more 3D fangames. Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Ah yes, Aleph One. I've been following that project for a while - it's a great engine, but uses horribly-outdated technology (that's to be expected, since Marathon is almost 20 years old IIRC). That does make me think about using an already-made FPS engine (ioquake3, iodoom3, Darkplaces, etc...) instead of writing a FPS layer on top of a generic game engine, like I/we were planning on.
Actually, that brings up a good point. We should make Call of Destiny's graphics fairly set-accurate and generic so that other people can use them - maybe it'll breathe new life into the FCG forum and inspire other 3D games.
Good idea - I'd like to see a lot more 3D fangames.
That is true, however there are "scenario" makers for Aleph One that allows one to create maps and fill in their textures, there are a lot of them and I do recall Forge having every skin and texture available from the Marathon games. However if one were to get their hands on one of the "scenario" makers they could probably insert a self made texture they made themselves. I also saw someone get around the Terminal dialogue by making a person register as a terminal in Marathon RED. If someone wants it I'll look around for those links to said makers (I know they exist as scenario makers us them and have even downloaded a couple, but I do not have the links saved, however I am sure I could find them if it was necessary).

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be straying out into no-man's land, but I myself have worked a wee bit and would love to know if anyone else likes the idea of a Warcraft 3 map designed around Mata Nui. I read enough of the topic to know that several capable fellows have their hands full with Call of Destiny, but the World Editor for Warcraft 3 is workable to coders and non alike (though it does use its own language called JASS)If someone else would like to see the map I have I can post it, and otherwise if anyone wants to give ideas or help that would be cool too.-Fire Entity

This may be straying out into no-man's land, but I myself have worked a wee bit and would love to know if anyone else likes the idea of a Warcraft 3 map designed around Mata Nui. I read enough of the topic to know that several capable fellows have their hands full with Call of Destiny, but the World Editor for Warcraft 3 is workable to coders and non alike (though it does use its own language called JASS)If someone else would like to see the map I have I can post it, and otherwise if anyone wants to give ideas or help that would be cool too.-Fire Entity
The issue with mods and maps is that they require players to own the game it's built with. The Bionicle fangame community is really small to begin with - so you have an extremely small number of people who would be interested in playing it, much less help you build it.Out of curiosity, why did you choose Warcraft 3 and not Starcraft 2, which is a slightly more mainstream game and has a better editor (and which I actually own :) not that I'm any good at it)

IrMSNn3.png