• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Click to ToggleParticipate in our raffle!

Hi, Guest. Come take a look and participate in our raffle:

Chima 2014 Big Raffle
Chima 2014 New Member Raffle
Chima 2014 Little Raffle

Photo

HERO FACTORY 2014 DISSUSSION

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,380 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 06:01 PM

Ya think that the minifig characters are gonna repeat within separate sets? Like the same hero in a bag set appears again in a box set or something?

Yes, we already know that much for certain. Evo appears in a small $10 bag set, 44015 Evo Walker, and a large $25 bag set, 44022 Evo XL Machine. Stormer appears in a small $10 bag set, 44016 Jaw Beast vs. Stormer, and a medium $15 bag set, 44017 Stormer Freeze Machine. Both Stormer and Evo appear in a $35 box set, 44029 Queen Beast vs. Furno, Evo, and Stormer. Of course, the heroes sometimes have different weapons or tools between sets.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#42 Offline ShadowWolfHount

ShadowWolfHount
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 423 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 01:15 PM

There is a Hero Factory IFB  Polybag of a Small Mech with Breez

IMO I just don't like it

ravens.jpg

Helping ~garnira returns~ on the Banners and Ravens for the win my friend

see his chima tribe banners here

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui: 
Flickr 10.gif MOCpages 10.gif Youtube

#43 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 02:23 PM

IMO I just don't like it

I think it's excellent. It's about time we had actual figures as impulse sets/polybags again. It'll do a much better job of roping in non-constraction fans than things like the Black Brain (I can't imagine anyone but a devoted Hero Factory fan seeing much use in that).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#44 Offline Your Evil Friend

Your Evil Friend
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Submerged!

• 1,166 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 02:29 PM

IMO I just don't like it

I think it's excellent. It's about time we had actual figures as impulse sets/polybags again. It'll do a much better job of roping in non-constraction fans than things like the Black Brain (I can't imagine anyone but a devoted Hero Factory fan seeing much use in that).

I think you're right. Not only that but it comes with some parts for MOCing that you can never really have enough of if imagine

#45 Offline Octodad

Octodad
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nobody suspects a thing

• 1,902 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 03:04 PM

I do hope I'm not the only one who thinks the Surge and Rocka Combat Machine looks dreadful. Its legs are wonky and skeletal, with the front legs being much longer than the back and with much larger feet than the smaller, almost tiny in comparison feet on the legs in back. And these ridiculous legs support a thin, gappy body that I guess needs to look dreadful in order to combine with the flying bit??? I like quite a few of the Summer wave designs, especially the beasts, but that set is simply awful.

#46 Offline Abg

Abg
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 7 posts

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 03:08 PM

Only the creatures Hero factory sets are cool .

#47 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 03:14 PM

Only the creatures Hero factory sets are cool .

You're one of the only people I've seen with that opinion. Furno Jet Machine gets a lot of well-deserved praise (with an excellent torso design that differs from any other set), and Evo XL Machine and Rocka Stealth Machine are also great. And that's just the sets for the first half of the year. I personally think a lot of the Beasts are underwhelming, with fairly generic builds on many of them. That seems to be improving later this year, though, with Queen Beast and Tunneler Beast in particular mixing things up with non-humanoid builds.

#48 Offline ToaJaller77

ToaJaller77
  • Members
  • Toa

• 119 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 03:16 PM

I do hope I'm not the only one who thinks the Surge and Rocka Combat Machine looks dreadful.

Welcome to the club.

50px-24126359.png.jpg

IS THIS PICTURE BIG ENOUGH FOR THE SIGNATURE?

IS IT?

#49 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 4,291 posts

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 09:13 PM

IMO I just don't like it

It's actually pretty cool IMO. I like Breez, and putting her with a cockpit makes the set more desirable. 

Although I really want the version with the chain and the boots too though. That strikes me as cooler, but maybe I'll pick up both...

#50 Offline Octodad

Octodad
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nobody suspects a thing

• 1,902 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 09:57 PM

IMO I just don't like it

It's actually pretty cool IMO. I like Breez, and putting her with a cockpit makes the set more desirable. 

Although I really want the version with the chain and the boots too though. That strikes me as cooler, but maybe I'll pick up both...

Judging by previous HF polybags, this will probably be part of a LEGO store promotion, like "buy x amount of LEGO sets" or "buy any HF set".

#51 Offline Aanchir: Rachira of Time

• Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,380 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 10:30 PM

IMO I just don't like it

Judging by previous HF polybags, this will probably be part of a LEGO store promotion, like "buy x amount of LEGO sets" or "buy any HF set".

Not necessarily. The distribution methods for some previous Hero Factory polybags (like this, this, and this) have been... weird. As in, "seemingly not distributed anywhere except certain Asian countries". The black brain and sword accessory pack was the exception, not the rule.

I'm hoping it does turn out to be a LEGO store or LEGO online shop gift-with-purchase like the black brain accessory pack, since that will make it more accessible to people worldwide.

I am very happy that there is finally a Hero Factory polybag set that includes an actual constraction figure, not just accessories for the larger figures. I've been wondering for a long time whether it would ever be possible for Hero Factory to release smaller, "Matoran-size" sets. Thanks to the new mini-heroes, it seems this is finally possible! Well, I suppose it might have been possible before, but anything of that sort would surely get just as much abuse as the "Good Guy/Bad Guy/Function" sets of old.

#52 Offline ToaJaller77

ToaJaller77
  • Members
  • Toa

• 119 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 12 2014 - 07:17 PM

I just called the LEGO Store in Chandler, Arizona.

The sets are out in the U.S.

Go crazy everybody.

50px-24126359.png.jpg

IS THIS PICTURE BIG ENOUGH FOR THE SIGNATURE?

IS IT?

#53 Offline Nathan Evo

Nathan Evo
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,346 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 12 2014 - 07:20 PM

Go crazy everybody.

Maybe over there, but I'm not seeing them on the LEGO Shop website.

"I'm on Toxic Reapa's home planet, and I've found a cocoon full of what I assume are younger versions of Toxic Reapa's deadly species.
My instincts say I should trash it!"

#54 Offline Kung Fu Pyro

Kung Fu Pyro
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 540 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 20 2014 - 06:09 PM

Go crazy everybody.

Some stores are releasing the sets earlier than the announced date. That's an individual thing, so I wouldn't expect to see the sets for sale on the website until the specified release date.

sigpart1.pngsigpart2.pngsigpart3.pngsigpart4.png

#55 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 20 2014 - 07:07 PM

Go crazy everybody.

Some stores are releasing the sets earlier than the announced date. That's an individual thing, so I wouldn't expect to see the sets for sale on the website until the specified release date.

They were at my local Toys R Us on Tuesday. Part of me wanted to get one, but I opted for the Eagle Legend Beast instead.

Edited by Lyichir, Feb 20 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#56 Online Mesonak

Mesonak
  • Premier Member
  • Flying Force Defeated

• 3,774 posts

Posted Feb 20 2014 - 08:45 PM

The sets have been available on Shop at Home for several days now, just so everybody is aware.

-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

#57 Offline Wazdakka

Wazdakka
  • Members
  • Steely Visionary

• 370 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 20 2014 - 09:36 PM

The sets have been available on Shop at Home for several days now, just so everybody is aware.

-Mesonak

Yup, I ordered Evo XL after checking my local Target and TRU with no luck. However, a TRU in my state, but a bit further of a drive did apparently have him on the shelf. I'm too lazy. 

Steam Name: Toa Onua - always ready for TF2 or a good chat.Xbox Live Gamertag: PluggedSky51173 - Halo 4 for (4) the win!Minecraft Username: ThePoohster - sometimes play on T9K.Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko set), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Black, White, and Grey Krana, Heat Vision, Sonic, Fire Resistance, Power Scream, and Shadow Kraata, Axonn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

#58 Offline Voxumo

Voxumo
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • The Shadow Reaper

• 2,839 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 24 2014 - 08:22 AM

Alright does anyone else get the impression this is just like the time Takanuva battled Makuta in Mask of Light. I mean you have a small underdog fighting a much larger opponent. I mean yeah the heroes get these battle machines but in the end it is still much smaller fighters versus more powerful and bigger fighters. And what did takanuva do but fight his own goliath (Makuta).

However in a more set fashion I have to admit where as i am not a huge fan of the machines themselves i like the 'beasts' although i have always been partial to animal sets even back in bionicle. And this new line is no different. I favor these beasts set wise. And plus they seem a bit more.. Cohesive than the battle machines.

aQ85UI0.png

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu-Vrina-Voulge-Kidona-Celis-Draeverian 'DJ'-Chivinix-Darvin

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

#59 Offline ShadowWolfHount

ShadowWolfHount
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 423 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 24 2014 - 10:42 AM

I have gotten two new sets: Evo Titan Machine (still not calling it XL) and Furno Jet Machine.

and I think of Evo XL is that I still hate it and think it the worst thing from Hero Factory and Evo. Fuurno I do love and it's the best Mech I seen so fare, so I am going to try to find Jaw Beast (because I really want that one) and Stormer Freeze Machine.

ravens.jpg

#60 Offline Aanchir: Rachira of Time

• Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,380 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 24 2014 - 11:04 AM

Alright does anyone else get the impression this is just like the time Takanuva battled Makuta in Mask of Light. I mean you have a small underdog fighting a much larger opponent. I mean yeah the heroes get these battle machines but in the end it is still much smaller fighters versus more powerful and bigger fighters. And what did takanuva do but fight his own goliath (Makuta).

However in a more set fashion I have to admit where as i am not a huge fan of the machines themselves i like the 'beasts' although i have always been partial to animal sets even back in bionicle. And this new line is no different. I favor these beasts set wise. And plus they seem a bit more.. Cohesive than the battle machines.

I always have been fond of animal-like sets as well, though to a certain extent this leads me to like the machines more than the beasts. After all, one thing I love about animal-like sets is that they're not just based on a simple humanoid frame. And many of the beasts, as "beastly" as they are, are pretty standard humanoid builds (specifically Jaw Beast, Flyer Beast, Splitter Beast, and Crystal Beast — Tunneler Beast and Queen Beast are quite nice, though).

The machine sets have a lot more diversity as far as builds are concerned. There are a number of walkers with varying numbers of legs. And even the bipedal battle machine designs like Rocka Crawler, Furno Jet Machine, and Evo XL Machine utilize some creative builds.

It's an interesting sort of role-reversal, since back in 2012, the villain sets tended to be the ones with the most creative builds, while the heroes were fairly run-of-the-mill humanoids. Even in 2013, when all but one of the villain sets were bipedal, the villains had more elaborate builds, like Frost Beast's wide shoulders, Bruizer's asymmetric build, and Scarox's four stabbing pincers. This is the first year that non-XL hero-focused sets have had a whole lot of diversity. And I'm loving it!

#61 Offline Wazdakka

Wazdakka
  • Members
  • Steely Visionary

• 370 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 24 2014 - 12:37 PM

I have gotten two new sets: Evo Titan Machine (still not calling it XL) and Furno Jet Machine.

and I think of Evo XL is that I still hate it and think it the worst thing from Hero Factory and Evo. Fuurno I do love and it's the best Mech I seen so fare, so I am going to try to find Jaw Beast (because I really want that one) and Stormer Freeze Machine.

Are you going to tell us why? 

In terms of sets hitting stores, it really depends on the store. My local TRU and Target are both devoid of any 2014 sets (an employee at TRU said that they'd be getting the new stuff in a couple of weeks), but another Target in my state had Evo XL. 

Edited by Wazdakka, Feb 24 2014 - 12:38 PM.

Steam Name: Toa Onua - always ready for TF2 or a good chat.Xbox Live Gamertag: PluggedSky51173 - Halo 4 for (4) the win!Minecraft Username: ThePoohster - sometimes play on T9K.Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko set), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Black, White, and Grey Krana, Heat Vision, Sonic, Fire Resistance, Power Scream, and Shadow Kraata, Axonn, ORANGE FIKOU.

#62 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 24 2014 - 05:52 PM

I got Evo XL Machine on Saturday and love it completely. Love the unusual build, love the mini-Evo, love the hoppers (seriously, those little guys jump really well). Today I spent a lot of time on LDD trying to design a Hero Factory Headquarters playset (using placeholder figs for the heroes), and it's coming along really well.

I can't wait until this year's parts are on LDD so I can mess around even more with minifig-scale HF mechs and such.

#63 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 4,291 posts

Posted Feb 24 2014 - 07:00 PM

Are you going to tell us why?

It's here:

I have gotten the Evo Titan Machine (still not calling it XL) and Furno Jet Machine, so I got a better look at the minifigure in person and I have to say that...       I hate it, the legs don't look right at all (plus i don't even know if there are legs at all), the skeleton is okay because I can see what they was trying to do there and the armor is already, I do like it but there is one thing that is wrong, you can't put alot of hate or hair on the minifigure. the arms I don't like but they can be really good for the robot fingers. Evo and Furno helmet I love plus I do hope they make more of them in different sets and theme.

#64 Offline Wazdakka

Wazdakka
  • Members
  • Steely Visionary

• 370 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 26 2014 - 06:46 PM

Ah. Well, I got my Evo XL Machine in the mail after seven days total, five business days, from the Lego shop. Huge box and a lot of inserts for just one bag, but it's a big wonderful bag. Construction was quick and easy - I did not time myself, but I know it took well under an hour, even when going at a slow, unhurried pace. 

It's amazing. It's what Hero Factory should have been all about in the first place. It is a big, complex, and unique mech complete with chunky proportions and massive slabs of armor plating. To me, it's the worthy competitor to Bionicle that Hero Factory has not been. It has made me want to go out and buy more Hero Factory sets. Sadly, I'm worried that the "canister" sets would not cut it, due to their lack of complexity, but my interest in Hero Factory has been rekindled with a blaze brighter than ever before. Thanks, Evo. 

#65 Offline Pupwa21

Pupwa21
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 84 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 26 2014 - 07:07 PM

Checked the App Store, game is out.
I hope my avatar is small enough for me to type this.

#66 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 26 2014 - 07:13 PM

Ah. Well, I got my Evo XL Machine in the mail after seven days total, five business days, from the Lego shop. Huge box and a lot of inserts for just one bag, but it's a big wonderful bag. Construction was quick and easy - I did not time myself, but I know it took well under an hour, even when going at a slow, unhurried pace. 

It's amazing. It's what Hero Factory should have been all about in the first place. It is a big, complex, and unique mech complete with chunky proportions and massive slabs of armor plating. To me, it's the worthy competitor to Bionicle that Hero Factory has not been. It has made me want to go out and buy more Hero Factory sets. Sadly, I'm worried that the "canister" sets would not cut it, due to their lack of complexity, but my interest in Hero Factory has been rekindled with a blaze brighter than ever before. Thanks, Evo. 

If I could make a recommendation for a "canister" set, I think you'd like Furno Jet Machine as well. It's less Technic-intensive than Evo XL Machine but does unique things with the building system and is the most solid-looking of the canister-sized sets (at least, those for this half of the year). As a bonus it also features a different hero (Furno, who only comes in that set and sets with Evo) and the third color of jumper.

#67 Offline Aanchir: Rachira of Time

• Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,380 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 26 2014 - 10:20 PM

The "canister" sets (by which I assume you mean the mid-size, $15 sets) are actually quite complex, arguably more so than BIONICLE canister sets ever were. Like my brother said in the post above, Furno Jet Machine has a very clever custom torso construction. At its core it's based on the existing torso beam, but that just makes the elaborate-yet-rigid build of the shoulders that much more impressive.

Among the summer sets, Breez Flea Machine and Bulk Drill Machine are fairly complex, with quite a lot of Technic. Both sets have over 100 pieces. The largest BIONICLE canister set, by comparison, was Toa Mahri Kongu with just 74 pieces, and this is in fact lower than any of the mid-size "Invasion from Below" sets' piece counts (Furno Jet Machine, with 79 pieces, has the lowest piece count of any of the mid-size sets).

Even the small ($10) sets can be quite impressive. Tunneler Beast vs. Surge offers 59 pieces and a multi-legged build I'd consider far more interesting and complex than any Visorak or Vahki.

The myth that Hero Factory is lacking in complexity is steadily being eroded, and these sets take great strides to do that. There are no massive sets this year on par with 2008's Takanuva or 2011's Witch Doctor, but the sets as a general rule are both complex for their size and incredibly diverse. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone will like them — I know a number of people prefer full-size character figures to mechs with mini-heroes — but for every constraction fan who dislikes the change, I'm sure there is probably another person who has never really given themes like BIONICLE or Hero Factory a chance who might finally succumb to the constraction bug.

#68 Offline bioniclepluslotr

bioniclepluslotr
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 37 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2014 - 01:30 PM

Interesting observation: I was searching for Invasion From Below on an overstock website, and I got a bunch of explicit material. Then I realized how it could be taken in different ways o.O

#69 Offline Wazdakka

Wazdakka
  • Members
  • Steely Visionary

• 370 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 01 2014 - 10:13 AM

The "canister" sets (by which I assume you mean the mid-size, $15 sets) are actually quite complex, arguably more so than BIONICLE canister sets ever were. Like my brother said in the post above, Furno Jet Machine has a very clever custom torso construction. At its core it's based on the existing torso beam, but that just makes the elaborate-yet-rigid build of the shoulders that much more impressive.

Among the summer sets, Breez Flea Machine and Bulk Drill Machine are fairly complex, with quite a lot of Technic. Both sets have over 100 pieces. 

Even the small ($10) sets can be quite impressive. Tunneler Beast vs. Surge offers 59 pieces and a multi-legged build I'd consider far more interesting and complex than any Visorak or Vahki.

The myth that Hero Factory is lacking in complexity is steadily being eroded, and these sets take great strides to do that. There are no massive sets this year on par with 2008's Takanuva or 2011's Witch Doctor, but the sets as a general rule are both complex for their size and incredibly diverse. I'm sure there is probably another person who has never really given themes like BIONICLE or Hero Factory a chance who might finally succumb to the constraction bug.

I'm one of those people. The new mech format has helped Hero Factory differentiate itself and step out from under the shadow of Bionicle. I now am actually impressed with some of the figures as opposed to my near-universal cynical disdain of the past. 

Yeah, I was referring to "canister" as the basic figures at the $15 price point. 

What I meant with complexity was not comparing to Bionicle part counts, but that I personally get a large portion of my enjoyment from Bionicles and Hero Factory from the actual building process. The more unique and complex a build, the more I like it. For this reason, I generally prefer to collect Titan sets over canister-sized sets because their builds are obviously going to be bigger, longer, and more interesting. 

Also, bioniclepluslotr, I actually laughed at loud at your internet adventure.  

#70 Offline ShadowWolfHount

ShadowWolfHount
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 423 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 20 2014 - 08:51 AM

I was talking to some of my friends and we find it odd that there are like 10 different Machines and 7 heroes, they did have room for both Nex and Stringer, so do anyone know why they didn't add those two, when there are room.

ravens.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users