HERO FACTORY 2014 DISSUSSION

ToaJaller77

Ya think that the minifig characters are gonna repeat within separate sets? Like the same hero in a bag set appears again in a box set or something?

Yes, we already know that much for certain. Evo appears in a small $10 bag set, 44015 Evo Walker, and a large $25 bag set, 44022 Evo XL Machine. Stormer appears in a small $10 bag set, 44016 Jaw Beast vs. Stormer, and a medium $15 bag set, 44017 Stormer Freeze Machine. Both Stormer and Evo appear in a $35 box set, 44029 Queen Beast vs. Furno, Evo, and Stormer. Of course, the heroes sometimes have different weapons or tools between sets.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Hero Factory IFB Polybag of a Small Mech with Breez

IMO I just don't like it

I think it's excellent. It's about time we had actual figures as impulse sets/polybags again. It'll do a much better job of roping in non-constraction fans than things like the Black Brain (I can't imagine anyone but a devoted Hero Factory fan seeing much use in that).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

IMO I just don't like it

I think it's excellent. It's about time we had actual figures as impulse sets/polybags again. It'll do a much better job of roping in non-constraction fans than things like the Black Brain (I can't imagine anyone but a devoted Hero Factory fan seeing much use in that).

I think you're right. Not only that but it comes with some parts for MOCing that you can never really have enough of if imagine

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I do hope I'm not the only one who thinks the Surge and Rocka Combat Machine looks dreadful. Its legs are wonky and skeletal, with the front legs being much longer than the back and with much larger feet than the smaller, almost tiny in comparison feet on the legs in back. And these ridiculous legs support a thin, gappy body that I guess needs to look dreadful in order to combine with the flying bit??? I like quite a few of the Summer wave designs, especially the beasts, but that set is simply awful.

Only the creatures Hero factory sets are cool .

You're one of the only people I've seen with that opinion. Furno Jet Machine gets a lot of well-deserved praise (with an excellent torso design that differs from any other set), and Evo XL Machine and Rocka Stealth Machine are also great. And that's just the sets for the first half of the year. I personally think a lot of the Beasts are underwhelming, with fairly generic builds on many of them. That seems to be improving later this year, though, with Queen Beast and Tunneler Beast in particular mixing things up with non-humanoid builds.

IMO I just don't like it

It's actually pretty cool IMO. I like Breez, and putting her with a cockpit makes the set more desirable.

Although I really want the version with the chain and the boots too though. That strikes me as cooler, but maybe I'll pick up both...

IMO I just don't like it

It's actually pretty cool IMO. I like Breez, and putting her with a cockpit makes the set more desirable.

Although I really want the version with the chain and the boots too though. That strikes me as cooler, but maybe I'll pick up both...

Judging by previous HF polybags, this will probably be part of a LEGO store promotion, like "buy x amount of LEGO sets" or "buy any HF set".

IMO I just don't like it

Judging by previous HF polybags, this will probably be part of a LEGO store promotion, like "buy x amount of LEGO sets" or "buy any HF set".

Not necessarily. The distribution methods for some previous Hero Factory polybags (like this, this, and this) have been... weird. As in, "seemingly not distributed anywhere except certain Asian countries". The black brain and sword accessory pack was the exception, not the rule.

I'm hoping it does turn out to be a LEGO store or LEGO online shop gift-with-purchase like the black brain accessory pack, since that will make it more accessible to people worldwide.

I am very happy that there is finally a Hero Factory polybag set that includes an actual constraction figure, not just accessories for the larger figures. I've been wondering for a long time whether it would ever be possible for Hero Factory to release smaller, "Matoran-size" sets. Thanks to the new mini-heroes, it seems this is finally possible! Well, I suppose it might have been possible before, but anything of that sort would surely get just as much abuse as the "Good Guy/Bad Guy/Function" sets of old.

I just called the LEGO Store in Chandler, Arizona.

The sets are out in the U.S.

Go crazy everybody.

Maybe over there, but I'm not seeing them on the LEGO Shop website.

Some stores are releasing the sets earlier than the announced date. That's an individual thing, so I wouldn't expect to see the sets for sale on the website until the specified release date.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I just called the LEGO Store in Chandler, Arizona.

The sets are out in the U.S.

Go crazy everybody.

Maybe over there, but I'm not seeing them on the LEGO Shop website.

Some stores are releasing the sets earlier than the announced date. That's an individual thing, so I wouldn't expect to see the sets for sale on the website until the specified release date.

They were at my local Toys R Us on Tuesday. Part of me wanted to get one, but I opted for the Eagle Legend Beast instead.

Edited by Lyichir

The sets have been available on Shop at Home for several days now, just so everybody is aware.

-Mesonak

Yup, I ordered Evo XL after checking my local Target and TRU with no luck. However, a TRU in my state, but a bit further of a drive did apparently have him on the shelf. I'm too lazy.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Alright does anyone else get the impression this is just like the time Takanuva battled Makuta in Mask of Light. I mean you have a small underdog fighting a much larger opponent. I mean yeah the heroes get these battle machines but in the end it is still much smaller fighters versus more powerful and bigger fighters. And what did takanuva do but fight his own goliath (Makuta).

However in a more set fashion I have to admit where as i am not a huge fan of the machines themselves i like the 'beasts' although i have always been partial to animal sets even back in bionicle. And this new line is no different. I favor these beasts set wise. And plus they seem a bit more.. Cohesive than the battle machines.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I have gotten two new sets: Evo Titan Machine (still not calling it XL) and Furno Jet Machine.

and I think of Evo XL is that I still hate it and think it the worst thing from Hero Factory and Evo. Fuurno I do love and it's the best Mech I seen so fare, so I am going to try to find Jaw Beast (because I really want that one) and Stormer Freeze Machine.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Alright does anyone else get the impression this is just like the time Takanuva battled Makuta in Mask of Light. I mean you have a small underdog fighting a much larger opponent. I mean yeah the heroes get these battle machines but in the end it is still much smaller fighters versus more powerful and bigger fighters. And what did takanuva do but fight his own goliath (Makuta).

However in a more set fashion I have to admit where as i am not a huge fan of the machines themselves i like the 'beasts' although i have always been partial to animal sets even back in bionicle. And this new line is no different. I favor these beasts set wise. And plus they seem a bit more.. Cohesive than the battle machines.

I always have been fond of animal-like sets as well, though to a certain extent this leads me to like the machines more than the beasts. After all, one thing I love about animal-like sets is that they're not just based on a simple humanoid frame. And many of the beasts, as "beastly" as they are, are pretty standard humanoid builds (specifically Jaw Beast, Flyer Beast, Splitter Beast, and Crystal Beast — Tunneler Beast and Queen Beast are quite nice, though).

The machine sets have a lot more diversity as far as builds are concerned. There are a number of walkers with varying numbers of legs. And even the bipedal battle machine designs like Rocka Crawler, Furno Jet Machine, and Evo XL Machine utilize some creative builds.

It's an interesting sort of role-reversal, since back in 2012, the villain sets tended to be the ones with the most creative builds, while the heroes were fairly run-of-the-mill humanoids. Even in 2013, when all but one of the villain sets were bipedal, the villains had more elaborate builds, like Frost Beast's wide shoulders, Bruizer's asymmetric build, and Scarox's four stabbing pincers. This is the first year that non-XL hero-focused sets have had a whole lot of diversity. And I'm loving it!

I have gotten two new sets: Evo Titan Machine (still not calling it XL) and Furno Jet Machine.

and I think of Evo XL is that I still hate it and think it the worst thing from Hero Factory and Evo. Fuurno I do love and it's the best Mech I seen so fare, so I am going to try to find Jaw Beast (because I really want that one) and Stormer Freeze Machine.

Are you going to tell us why?

In terms of sets hitting stores, it really depends on the store. My local TRU and Target are both devoid of any 2014 sets (an employee at TRU said that they'd be getting the new stuff in a couple of weeks), but another Target in my state had Evo XL.

Edited by Wazdakka

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got Evo XL Machine on Saturday and love it completely. Love the unusual build, love the mini-Evo, love the hoppers (seriously, those little guys jump really well). Today I spent a lot of time on LDD trying to design a Hero Factory Headquarters playset (using placeholder figs for the heroes), and it's coming along really well.

I can't wait until this year's parts are on LDD so I can mess around even more with minifig-scale HF mechs and such.

Are you going to tell us why?

It's here:

I have gotten the Evo Titan Machine (still not calling it XL) and Furno Jet Machine, so I got a better look at the minifigure in person and I have to say that... I hate it, the legs don't look right at all (plus i don't even know if there are legs at all), the skeleton is okay because I can see what they was trying to do there and the armor is already, I do like it but there is one thing that is wrong, you can't put alot of hate or hair on the minifigure. the arms I don't like but they can be really good for the robot fingers. Evo and Furno helmet I love plus I do hope they make more of them in different sets and theme.

Ah. Well, I got my Evo XL Machine in the mail after seven days total, five business days, from the Lego shop. Huge box and a lot of inserts for just one bag, but it's a big wonderful bag. Construction was quick and easy - I did not time myself, but I know it took well under an hour, even when going at a slow, unhurried pace.

It's amazing. It's what Hero Factory should have been all about in the first place. It is a big, complex, and unique mech complete with chunky proportions and massive slabs of armor plating. To me, it's the worthy competitor to Bionicle that Hero Factory has not been. It has made me want to go out and buy more Hero Factory sets. Sadly, I'm worried that the "canister" sets would not cut it, due to their lack of complexity, but my interest in Hero Factory has been rekindled with a blaze brighter than ever before. Thanks, Evo.

Ah. Well, I got my Evo XL Machine in the mail after seven days total, five business days, from the Lego shop. Huge box and a lot of inserts for just one bag, but it's a big wonderful bag. Construction was quick and easy - I did not time myself, but I know it took well under an hour, even when going at a slow, unhurried pace.

It's amazing. It's what Hero Factory should have been all about in the first place. It is a big, complex, and unique mech complete with chunky proportions and massive slabs of armor plating. To me, it's the worthy competitor to Bionicle that Hero Factory has not been. It has made me want to go out and buy more Hero Factory sets. Sadly, I'm worried that the "canister" sets would not cut it, due to their lack of complexity, but my interest in Hero Factory has been rekindled with a blaze brighter than ever before. Thanks, Evo.

If I could make a recommendation for a "canister" set, I think you'd like Furno Jet Machine as well. It's less Technic-intensive than Evo XL Machine but does unique things with the building system and is the most solid-looking of the canister-sized sets (at least, those for this half of the year). As a bonus it also features a different hero (Furno, who only comes in that set and sets with Evo) and the third color of jumper.

The "canister" sets (by which I assume you mean the mid-size, $15 sets) are actually quite complex, arguably more so than BIONICLE canister sets ever were. Like my brother said in the post above, Furno Jet Machine has a very clever custom torso construction. At its core it's based on the existing torso beam, but that just makes the elaborate-yet-rigid build of the shoulders that much more impressive.

Among the summer sets, Breez Flea Machine and Bulk Drill Machine are fairly complex, with quite a lot of Technic. Both sets have over 100 pieces. The largest BIONICLE canister set, by comparison, was Toa Mahri Kongu with just 74 pieces, and this is in fact lower than any of the mid-size "Invasion from Below" sets' piece counts (Furno Jet Machine, with 79 pieces, has the lowest piece count of any of the mid-size sets).

Even the small ($10) sets can be quite impressive. Tunneler Beast vs. Surge offers 59 pieces and a multi-legged build I'd consider far more interesting and complex than any Visorak or Vahki.

The myth that Hero Factory is lacking in complexity is steadily being eroded, and these sets take great strides to do that. There are no massive sets this year on par with 2008's Takanuva or 2011's Witch Doctor, but the sets as a general rule are both complex for their size and incredibly diverse. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone will like them — I know a number of people prefer full-size character figures to mechs with mini-heroes — but for every constraction fan who dislikes the change, I'm sure there is probably another person who has never really given themes like BIONICLE or Hero Factory a chance who might finally succumb to the constraction bug.

The "canister" sets (by which I assume you mean the mid-size, $15 sets) are actually quite complex, arguably more so than BIONICLE canister sets ever were. Like my brother said in the post above, Furno Jet Machine has a very clever custom torso construction. At its core it's based on the existing torso beam, but that just makes the elaborate-yet-rigid build of the shoulders that much more impressive.

Among the summer sets, Breez Flea Machine and Bulk Drill Machine are fairly complex, with quite a lot of Technic. Both sets have over 100 pieces.

Even the small ($10) sets can be quite impressive. Tunneler Beast vs. Surge offers 59 pieces and a multi-legged build I'd consider far more interesting and complex than any Visorak or Vahki.

The myth that Hero Factory is lacking in complexity is steadily being eroded, and these sets take great strides to do that. There are no massive sets this year on par with 2008's Takanuva or 2011's Witch Doctor, but the sets as a general rule are both complex for their size and incredibly diverse. I'm sure there is probably another person who has never really given themes like BIONICLE or Hero Factory a chance who might finally succumb to the constraction bug.

I'm one of those people. The new mech format has helped Hero Factory differentiate itself and step out from under the shadow of Bionicle. I now am actually impressed with some of the figures as opposed to my near-universal cynical disdain of the past.

Yeah, I was referring to "canister" as the basic figures at the $15 price point.

What I meant with complexity was not comparing to Bionicle part counts, but that I personally get a large portion of my enjoyment from Bionicles and Hero Factory from the actual building process. The more unique and complex a build, the more I like it. For this reason, I generally prefer to collect Titan sets over canister-sized sets because their builds are obviously going to be bigger, longer, and more interesting.

Also, bioniclepluslotr, I actually laughed at loud at your internet adventure.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I was talking to some of my friends and we find it odd that there are like 10 different Machines and 7 heroes, they did have room for both Nex and Stringer, so do anyone know why they didn't add those two, when there are room.

I was talking to some of my friends and we find it odd that there are like 10 different Machines and 7 heroes, they did have room for both Nex and Stringer, so do anyone know why they didn't add those two, when there are room.

There are lots of possibilities. Including Nex and Stringer could have been more expensive, since they would have needed unique helmet molds, recolored arms and legs, and (in Nex's case) more shell colors. Even though orange shells DO already exist, the LEGO Group tries to keep the number of unique elements in production at any given time low. By reusing characters like Evo so many times, the LEGO Group can be sure to get their money's worth out of the character-specific molds, recolors, and printed shells they already have.

Also, the more characters you have, the harder it is to make their presence meaningful in the story. This is true even when you have more running time to devote to those characters. Why do you think Nex and Breez were cut from "Breakout"? Not only would including them and their solo missions reduce the screen time of the other heroes, but it would have made it more difficult for the audience to keep track of all the characters. Seven main characters a year is already a stretch.

Nex and Stringer also sat out "Brain Attack", probably for similar reasons, so as both sets and characters they would be less familiar to newer fans than their seven teammates. They were thus some of the easiest characters to cut from this year's sets and story.

• Upvote 1

There are lots of possibilities. Including Nex and Stringer could have been more expensive, since they would have needed unique helmet molds, recolored arms and legs, and (in Nex's case) more shell colors. Even though orange shells DO already exist, the LEGO Group tries to keep the number of unique elements in production at any given time low. By reusing characters like Evo so many times, the LEGO Group can be sure to get their money's worth out of the character-specific molds, recolors, and printed shells they already have.

Also, the more characters you have, the harder it is to make their presence meaningful in the story. This is true even when you have more running time to devote to those characters. Why do you think Nex and Breez were cut from "Breakout"? Not only would including them and their solo missions reduce the screen time of the other heroes, but it would have made it more difficult for the audience to keep track of all the characters. Seven main characters a year is already a stretch.

Nex and Stringer also sat out "Brain Attack", probably for similar reasons, so as both sets and characters they would be less familiar to newer fans than their seven teammates. They were thus some of the easiest characters to cut from this year's sets and story.

What story, as far was I know, Brain Attack and IFB have no story at all and Brain Attack was mainly advertisements for weapons and gears, IFB only have one thing and that iis "stop the kaiju" that it and nothing else. Breakout I do get but with Brain Attack and IFB, I have to say no.

Also I don't think adding two character is going to hurt because Brain Attack and IFB don't even have a story plus all they mainly doing to changing the size of the helmet just look at Stormer, Rocka and Evo. If you want to talk about molded, look at Bulk and Surge, there helmet don't look nothing like there original helmet, they don't even look like there 2.0 head gears. And for recolor, they are just going to have those recolor later on.

What story, as far was I know, Brain Attack and IFB have no story at all and Brain Attack was mainly advertisements for weapons and gears, IFB only have one thing and that iis "stop the kaiju" that it and nothing else. Breakout I do get but with Brain Attack and IFB, I have to say no.

Also I don't think adding two character is going to hurt because Brain Attack and IFB don't even have a story plus all they mainly doing to changing the size of the helmet just look at Stormer, Rocka and Evo. If you want to talk about molded, look at Bulk and Surge, there helmet don't look nothing like there original helmet, they don't even look like there 2.0 head gears. And for recolor, they are just going to have those recolor later on.

The story is there no matter how simplistic it is, and new molds cost roughly the same whether they're similar to existing designs or not.

As far as recolors are concerned, "later on" doesn't matter, because the total element count at any given time is what the LEGO Group is trying to keep in check for logistical reasons. New elements are rarely put into production without an existing element being taken out if production to make room. In this case, it seems like some sizes of orange shells have been taken out of production to make room for other parts.

The story is there no matter how simplistic it is, and new molds cost roughly the same whether they're similar to existing designs or not.

Again the story for Brain Attack was just Stop The Brain and for IFB was just Stop The Kaiju, that's it nothing else, they can add Nex and Stringer easy plus there was no need for a HF Episode at all, they could saved a lot of money not making at those at all and it would have been a lot better as well if they haven't add minifigure with the beast.

Also before I any anything about molds, how much is it?

Again the story for Brain Attack was just Stop The Brain and for IFB was just Stop The Kaiju, that's it nothing else, they can add Nex and Stringer easy plus there was no need for a HF Episode at all, they could saved a lot of money not making at those at all and it would have been a lot better as well if they haven't add minifigure with the beast.

Exact costs for a single mold are not known, except that it's considerably more than $20,000. My point is really that it doesn't matter whether the new helmets resemble the old ones the cost of nine new precision steel molds is still going to be considerably higher than the cost of seven. And the TV episodes are just as important from a marketing standpoint as shorter commercials would be, regardless of their entertainment or storytelling value. Being able to give each and every character a moment in the spotlight is important on that level even if they don't get ANY measurable character development.

Don't get me wrong I also wish we could get Nex and Stringer machines and mini-robots. I'd love if Stringer appeared in the Combat Machine instead of Rocka, and if one of Evo's machines like the one that comes with Queen Beast had been colored orange and given to Nex. I loved that the Breakout sets were able to feature all nine heroes as well as a villain for each. I'm just pointing out reasons why they might have been cut. Nine main protagonists is a lot for a single year of sets, even in a minifigure-based theme.

Exact costs for a single mold are not known, except that it's considerably more than $20,000. My point is really that it doesn't matter whether the new helmets resemble the old ones the cost of nine new precision steel molds is still going to be considerably higher than the cost of seven. And the TV episodes are just as important from a marketing standpoint as shorter commercials would be, regardless of their entertainment or storytelling value. Being able to give each and every character a moment in the spotlight is important on that level even if they don't get ANY measurable character development.

Don't get me wrong I also wish we could get Nex and Stringer machines and mini-robots. I'd love if Stringer appeared in the Combat Machine instead of Rocka, and if one of Evo's machines like the one that comes with Queen Beast had been colored orange and given to Nex. I loved that the Breakout sets were able to feature all nine heroes as well as a villain for each. I'm just pointing out reasons why they might have been cut. Nine main protagonists is a lot for a single year of sets, even in a minifigure-based theme.

I agree. Although it saddens me that this may be the last we see of the two characters

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I think I see what you mean but with the TV episodes, it is good from a marketing standpoint indeed but it feel like they haven't put any effort into it to get people liking Hero Factory and want to buy them. IFB haven't gotten people into buying the new HF sets, because all the mech but one was destroyed easy plus IFB and Brain Attack Episodes are IMO and I think some other, the 2 worst episodes from Hero Factory ever (I may just make a review of the two Episodes later but video unlikely).

Now with Nex and Stringer machines, I mainly think Bulk and maybe Rocka was not meant to be in the IFB because Bulk Drill Machine is mostly Orange (the only thing was missing was) and he mainly Silver plus I think the Silver is being taken out because we have seen less silver. With Rocka maybe because I think he was meant to only be in the wave 2 and have Stringer in have 1 but that wouldn't work because Stringer I don't think he is know to be a stealthy guy plus HF have to get there favorite guy.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

Now with Nex and Stringer machines, I mainly think Bulk and maybe Rocka was not meant to be in the IFB because Bulk Drill Machine is mostly Orange (the only thing was missing was) and he mainly Silver plus I think the Silver is being taken out because we have seen less silver. With Rocka maybe because I think he was meant to only be in the wave 2 and have Stringer in have 1 but that wouldn't work because Stringer I don't think he is know to be a stealthy guy plus HF have to get there favorite guy.

I think the Drill Machine is much more Bulk's style than Nex's, and its colors are hardly any different from the last two versions of Bulk, which featured orange far more prominently than previous designs and used far more Titanium Metallic than Silver Metallic.

• Upvote 1

:shrugs: I just want Stringer back. But I can't have everything. Is there any problems with shells, etc, on that? Could they bring him back next year if they wanted to?

The thing is, though, that Breakout set was pretty ritzy, even for its low price point. To top that, they would have to make a big minifig sonic mech. I would heart that, but too expensive. :shrugs:

Once again, Rocka is star hero for a while. Furno XL was cool. Stormer XL was cool. Rocka XL was OK, but Surge was supposed to fight Dragon Bolt and guess who gets an awesome jetpack? Rocka! Rocka gets one mech for this wave, and Evo gets the spotlight. I like this, because Evo has been somewhat underrated in my opinion. However, Rocka gets two mechs next wave. He has to share one with Surge, and I like to think of that as punishment for defeating Surge's Brain Attack enemy. Overall, Rocka has had the most attention. He got two Savage Planet forms, one Breakout form and got to fight Black Phantom, two Brain Attack Forms and now 2.5 (or 3) Invasion from Below forms. Why is this happening? Why can't this happen to Furno or Stormer, who have been in every wave?

Edited by RahkshiToa88
  • Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015