OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Personally I'd really like to see other Toa join the cast--join it, not replace it, though. I mean, looking at the most visible examples of Lego themes keeping a core cast of characters, this is not at all uncommon. Hero Factory obviously added Nex, Evo and Rocka in it second year. Ninjago got a fifth ninja with Lloyd in 2012, and I have a hunch something like that might happen again next year. ....Chima has kept true to its eight heroes, though that's admittedly a weird example because although there's 8 of them the first year only had 6, and only put in one more into the sets in 2014, and maybe again in 2015. Anyway. Addign a sixth...er, seventh ranger kind of character to the Toa is not necessarily a bad thing, and obviously it's also something they've done before (I don't think it should necessarily be Takanuva though, but who knows)

Notice that the Chima constraction sets had 4 new characters though that weren't the main characters.

Personally I'd really like to see other Toa join the cast--join it, not replace it, though. I mean, looking at the most visible examples of Lego themes keeping a core cast of characters, this is not at all uncommon. Hero Factory obviously added Nex, Evo and Rocka in it second year. Ninjago got a fifth ninja with Lloyd in 2012, and I have a hunch something like that might happen again next year. ....Chima has kept true to its eight heroes, though that's admittedly a weird example because although there's 8 of them the first year only had 6, and only put in one more into the sets in 2014, and maybe again in 2015. Anyway. Addign a sixth...er, seventh ranger kind of character to the Toa is not necessarily a bad thing, and obviously it's also something they've done before (I don't think it should necessarily be Takanuva though, but who knows)

Notice that the Chima constraction sets had 4 new characters though that weren't the main characters.

Also notice that the Chima constraction sets didn't sell well enough in North America to make it here a second year.

Also notice that the Chima constraction sets didn't sell well enough in North America to make it here a second year.

And that Chima's two main protagonists (Laval and Cragger) DID still appear as sets. Unfortunately, Bionicle has six main characters, so unless you're hoping for some of the Toa to return and not others, it's got to be all or nothing.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That's only if you assume all of them have to be in the same wave, which is not the case. The constraction sets for Chima are a strange case all around, not least of all because they're only one wave a year. If more Toa appear, they could end up split between the winter and summer waves easily--it's not like that's anything HF and even old Bionicle didn't do.

Edited by farmstink buttlass
  • Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

No.

I think that her Kaukau is a perfect modernization of the old one. The only thing that would have made it better than it already is, was if there was a transparent visor.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

So it's confirmed that bionicle is getting a reboot then?

I just discovered that bionicle is coming back...like an hour ago. And I absolutely adored the old one.

Does this mean we get to go all the way back? Back when fighting mind-controlled rahi was the biggest thing happening? 

Krika was best Makuta before he was a Makuta.

bb9af9ea1495203cfbbfed6bbce7027d.jpg

Hi aimop95!

As far as I can tell, it's a reboot in the sense that it's still Bionicle, we still have villages and an island and elements and Masks (though they do not have Kanohi powers) and our same favorite six Toa and Makuta, but other than that, it's largely a clean slate. Feel free to correct me on that. 

Also: am I really the only one who cannot unsee Takadox's face in Gali? Curses!

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

The more I look at the concept art images from the panel presentation, the more I wish the upcoming webisodes were made into a longer length show. The opportunity for a full Flash animation-based series on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon is just too good to pass up for LEGO. Here's hoping that they're at least trying to "test the waters" for one.

Edited by Toa Green Ninja

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

So it's confirmed that bionicle is getting a reboot then?

I just discovered that bionicle is coming back...like an hour ago. And I absolutely adored the old one.

Does this mean we get to go all the way back? Back when fighting mind-controlled rahi was the biggest thing happening?

A reboot isn't the same as a retelling. The new BIONICLE theme definitely does seem to be trying to recapture some of BIONICLE's most traditional and timeless aspects by returning to old 2001–2002 concepts like an island setting, a quest for golden Kanohi masks, evil creatures that act like masks and control people's minds, gear functions that are used to knock off characters' masks, dual-function weapons, an ancient rivalry between two brothers, and of course the original six Toa. But it's also taking cues from other parts of BIONICLE, as well as bringing in entirely new concepts. And I certainly don't expect it to start completely retracing the steps of the old BIONICLE.

I don't think transformations will occur as often as in old BIONICLE. Hero Factory had an advantage of having a built-in excuse for the heroes' new appearances, and I'm sure LEGO will come up with something that allows them to redesign the Toa regularly without making it seem redundant, as multiple transformations would be.

How well will you die?

Thanks for the replies. I'm excited. I never was able to really get (any of) the old sets (followed the comics/movies/books though), but now...NOW I HAVE ALL THE MONEY.

And I cannot wait!

Still, I think the masks will have powers...I mean, we still have the two mask makers...

Krika was best Makuta before he was a Makuta.

bb9af9ea1495203cfbbfed6bbce7027d.jpg

Still, I think the masks will have powers...I mean, we still have the two mask makers...

It's hinted at that the masks the Toa wear are just elemental masks. Instead of being called a "Miru", or the "mask of levitation", it's being called the "mask of jungle". Then again, that might just be referring to the golden masks, and the colored ones still have their original powers.

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

I don't think transformations will occur as often as in old BIONICLE. Hero Factory had an advantage of having a built-in excuse for the heroes' new appearances, and I'm sure LEGO will come up with something that allows them to redesign the Toa regularly without making it seem redundant, as multiple transformations would be.

Well, in some respects they COULD treat certain transformations more like costume changes, provided they keep the relative sizes of the characters reasonably consistent. "Deep beneath Okoto the Toa discover ancient magical armor, masks, and weapons that will enhance their powers". Visually, the Toa Nuva were just the Toa Mata with new armor, masks, and weapons. And giving new powers to new weapons, masks, and armor is no problem!

The trickiest bit is making the "upgrade" feel significant enough on a visual level to make the costume change feel meaningful. But I don't think it's a challenge the LEGO Group can't tackle. Look at how the 2013 CHI Laval and CHI Cragger compare to the 2014 CHI Laval or CHI Cragger. They definitely feel like upgrades, even though Laval was already mostly gold in the previous version and the characters didn't get measurably larger or more complex (in fact, they got slightly shorter than they had been previously).

Edited by Aanchir

I am now suddenly super okay with the way Kopaka's new mask looks because I was looking at the main image on the BIONICLE home page and the way he's posed made it very briefly resemble a Noble Matatu.

WHOA I saw it instantly when I checked. Good eye.

I figured that in Bionicle 1.0 they were trying to go for something like that with the Adaptive Armor, but they never really got around to capitalizing on it. I hope they come up with an easy way of explaining transformations without making it a big deal--perhaps armor switching is just a normal thing for Toa to do in the reboot? 

Hey, for all we know the rebooted Toa's armour could be just worn, like actual armour, (but connected to "natural" machinery or whatever) that they would change or improve during certain conditions.

eg:

• year one, Toa have standard armour set for their respective region
  • year two, get, I don't know, dedicated spelunking armour, wth glowie bits and such for an underground theme 
  • year three, some sort of magic-rune-armour gained from said spelunking
  • etc.

EDIT: did anyone else notice that the MoC on the bottom of the LEGO Bionicle website is actually animated?

Seriously, every few seconds its eyes glow.

Edited by The Undertaken

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

I shall keep to my promise, and when BIONICLE 2015 releases, I shall make a stopmotion video of the Fikou, Visorak, Sea Spider, Skull Spider and Lord of Skull Spiders doing battle!

Who will be the true lord of the spiders?

Don't forget Fenrakk!

What about the other Fenrakk from the playsets?

One thing I love about the new sets is the fact they're not focusing on some blaster of some kind, none of the toa have blasters which is fantastic, I prefer them having swords spears axes(etc etc). One problem with the later waves of the theme was those blasters, half the time they overshadowed the melee weapons, and in 2008 they barely had melee weapons at all. Sure the protectors have got blasters(which I really like)but at least they mix it in with other weapons.

True dat. It was an awkward consistency when every character in a wave carried the same oversized blaster. It takes away from the character's character. Though I did like Kongu's dual blasters.
Yeah Kongu was my favourite at the time, I also felt the masks got less detailed over the years(another thing this new line has fixed).

Really? If anything, I felt they got more detailed, overdetailed, even. The original masks all had a simple elegance to them, while later masks seemed to depend on loads of textures and grooves to cut a defining silhouette.

That's why, of the new redesigns, the Miru is my least favorite; it is covered with unnecessary mechanical detailing, and that annoys me.

I disagree(at least in the toa's case)over time you could barely tell them apart, not to mention all those half masks we got, maybe it wasn't less detail but all I do know is they did something wrong.
What half masks are you talking about? The only things I can think of that fit that description are the Vahi, Glatorian helmets, The Kakama Phantoka, and possibly some of the masks/heads used in villain sets. For all of the later mask's flaws, their uniqueness was not one of them IMO.

The masks you listed were exactly what I was thinking about(minus the vahi), it seemed to have been a growing trend among the sets(and not one that I liked), what I hated about the later masks was the fact they all shared the same characteristics and did not look all that appealing.

It's time to move on.

The Bionicle website bios have been updated, and some very upsetting news is here.

The Masters' masks aren't like "Pakari - mask of strength" but it's a lot simpler, since now it's like "Mask of Earth".

Oh well, R.I.P(ish) Kanohi...

Edited by ~ Toa Of Shadows ~

Click me to see my Youtube Channel!
:t:  :m_o:  :a:   :m_o:  :f:   :s:  :h:  :a:  :m_d:  :m_o:  :w:  :s:

What the heck Lego? The mask powers were so cool!:( It's like they're slowly ruining everything I like about Bionicle- cheapness, mask powers, and character traits...

I don't think that books are a bad medium, especially since from what I've seen of other tv shows from Lego, they are just for little kids and there isn't a lot for an older audience.

don't blame LEGO for the cheapness going away. that's all the economy's fault.

im gonna miss the old mask powers but hey, this makes it all that much more important that they don't get their mask knocked off, if it's the source of their elemental power. besides, it looks to be shaping up that these aren't the same characters as the old Toa Mata, unless somehow their masks changed completely on the journey.

• Upvote 1

I can say I am disappointed about the loss of specific mask powers. It also seems to make a strange inconsistency with the other legendary masks, which had fairly specific powers. I always liked that the toa had their elemental powers, and then an extra power from the masks, which made them a strong bonus. Plus, if the masks were knocked off then the toa's elemental power would be significantly weakened as well.

Well, at least elemental mask powers are not unheard of in bionicle gen 1. Then again, what exactly makes them Toa now? Do they have any elemental powers without their masks? What exactly is the difference between the colored masks and the gold masks?

They're probably just stronger versions of the masks they already have... or something. I dunno, this is a very strange move on Lego's part.

• Upvote 1

I have something I need to say.

Kids aren't THAT different than they were thirteen years ago. So why does LEGO think that kids nowadays are too "dumb" to understand words like "Kanohi", or understand the word "Toa" when it is used in place of Masters? Why did they have to change Air to Jungle just because "that's what people relate to green". It really upsets me!

The new storyline looks great so far, but I hope it keeps at least a few of the things that made BIONICLE special. The sets are already doing a great job of that...

Edited by Toa Green Ninja

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Hmm, now Onua's afraid of heights, too.  Although, I think he already was in the original Bionicle, so no complaints there.  Also, now Lewa's sarcastic, and still no further explanation of his powers.  And the new signature moves seem like something straight out of HF.  Like, in Makuro's Guidebook, in the Faceoff section at the end.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

I'm a little sad about the loss of mask powers, mainly because it also most likely means losing Kanohi names (which I already figured would happen but this confirms).

Although I did like kanohi names and how they made masks seem more unique, they weren't really necessary. Lego didn't have to get rid of the names, but I can see why they did. Though I share your gripe about losing the mask powers. Having the Akaku simply being called the Mask of X-ray Vision wouldn't be a big deal for me, but completely getting rid of the x-ray and just making it a mask of ice is upsetting.

I have something I need to say.

Kids aren't THAT different than they were thirteen years ago. So why does LEGO think that kids nowadays are too "dumb" to understand words like "Kanohi", or understand the word "Toa" when it is used in place of Masters? Why did they have to change Air to Jungle just because "that's what people relate to green". It really upsets me!

The new storyline looks great so far, but I hope it keeps at least a few of the things that made BIONICLE special. The sets are already doing a great job of that...

Each generation actually is pretty different from the next, and getting more different, especially through the amount of technology and information they are being exposed to everyday. Though I do agree that it isn't fair to think they are dumb or that they won't understand what these words mean, it is important to understand that many won't see why there would be multiple words for the same thing. I remember feeling confused as a kid why they called the masks kanohi rather than just calling them masks. Anyway, the only names completely taken out are the mask names. Important names that help give Bionicle a nice aesthetic like 'toa' and 'kanohi' are still used, just a little less.

I don't really know about Lewa's element. From the looks of it, Lewa has the powers of both, so, I don't feel that there's a no need to complain about the change in element.

• Upvote 1

On Lewa's element.. I really like the name "Toa of the Green", just because it was different. Now that it is "Toa of Jungle", it sounds less cool, to me.

Adaptive Armour...

It's hinted at that the masks the Toa wear are just elemental masks. Instead of being called a "Miru", or the "mask of levitation", it's being called the "mask of jungle". Then again, that might just be referring to the golden masks, and the colored ones still have their original powers.

I think in the product descriptions for most of them, like Pohatu, they are called Mask of 'element'. Sadly, it seems this time it will be their masks giving them powers... So what is the point of bringing back a design, like the Hau, or Akaku, if it will just be a generic elemental mask...

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

I think in the product descriptions for most of them, like Pohatu, they are called Mask of 'element'. Sadly, it seems this time it will be their masks giving them powers... So what is the point of bringing back a design, like the Hau, or Akaku, if it will just be a generic elemental mask...

Because it's a recognizable shape for the character. If you brought back Tahu and didn't bring back the shape of the Hau, nobody would recognize it as Tahu (see 2008)

• Upvote 1

Actually, my friend who bought only the Mistika Tahu saw the 2015 Tahu and was wondering why his mask looked different.

I doubt kids that are 7 today even own a 2001 Tahu... Some might, but majority don't.

Actually, my friend who bought only the Mistika Tahu saw the 2015 Tahu and was wondering why his mask looked different.

I doubt kids that are 7 today even own a 2001 Tahu... Some might, but majority don't.

They did say that they wanted to respect the roots. And I believe they did just that with these new sets and their designs. Besides, just because the Toa don't have their mask powers from Gen 1, does not mean that we won't see them in the future of the storyline, whenever LEGO needs to upgrade the sets. Powers of Shielding, Speed, Strength, X-Ray, etc. could come back when these Toa receive an upgrade to their armor next year.

I mean if the Toa now all of a sudden were to have all their mask powers and maxed out abilities for the first year, there isn't much room for improvement (stroywise) when the sets get upgraded for next year. Im sure no one wants next years upgrade to just be "improved armor". 

• Upvote 3

This all came out just in time because rather recently I had the horrific thought of selling off my collection, but now I just have the horrific thought of not having enough money to buy every new set they go out and produce...

So happy to have this back, my childhood returns!

• Upvote 2

Droid-does-or-Motorola-Droid-250x100.jpg

Bionerd43 1+5+6+34=15634

IF you like the BOSTON CELTICS BASKETBALL TEAM or the INDIANAPOLIS COLTS FOOTBALL TEAM PM me.

Ussal Crab Club member!! Oh SO Very Crabby

They did say that they wanted to respect the roots. And I believe they did just that with these new sets and their designs. Besides, just because the Toa don't have their mask powers from Gen 1, does not mean that we won't see them in the future of the storyline, whenever LEGO needs to upgrade the sets. Powers of Shielding, Speed, Strength, X-Ray, etc. could come back when these Toa receive an upgrade to their armor next year.

I mean if the Toa now all of a sudden were to have all their mask powers and maxed out abilities for the first year, there isn't much room for improvement (stroywise) when the sets get upgraded for next year. Im sure no one wants next years upgrade to just be "improved armor". 

Hmmm. Imagine: "On the Toa's heroic quest to save the island of Okoto from the dreaded Skull Spiders, they encounter (insert something here) and recieve new armor, masks and powers!"

That would be a very nice way to upgrade the Toa next year. Instead of enhancing their elemental & mask powers like in 2002, they would be gaining the classic mask powers (or perhaps entirely new ones) in the second year.

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

That's actually a real good idea! Though I've always wanted to see the toa Mata have some other mask powers too, because seriously we've gotten a ton of variations of the same six kanohi.

I've actually warmed up to the idea of no extra mask powers. Onua, Gali, and Lewa's old mask powers can still be given to them as regular powers, and it wouldn't be hard to make Pohatu be a fast runner:)

Also, there's always headcanon:)

Edited by Hasreadit
  • Upvote 1