• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Click to ToggleParticipate in our raffle!

Hi, Guest. Come take a look and participate in our raffle:

Chima 2014 Big Raffle
Chima 2014 New Member Raffle
Chima 2014 Little Raffle

Photo

The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

• Please log in to reply
6381 replies to this topic

#4801 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 08:53 PM

Computer speeds available to everyone are so high that measuring them in FLOPS is pointless because the numbers are so high.

You could fit the internet on a memory bank of 10 cubic feet.

A functioning mind can be stored in a computer roughly half the size of the brain it originated from.

As a note, though, Computer Science is basically over by the time of Starscape. Electronic computers are so miniaturized that they're essentially working on the sizes of the electrons themselves, thus no processing speed advances are expected, short of a breakthrough in some other field.

Edited by Xomeron, Mar 31 2013 - 08:57 PM.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."
"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

#4802 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 09:15 PM

Also, the practicality of powered armor is quite different from that of Battlemechs. Can powered armor still be used if you do not have the Humongous Mecha trait, seeing as a suit of armor with motors to assist the user's movement is, in terms of technological difficulty, rather a long step down from a Battlemech?

Gentlemen, fooling you once with this trick was an honor. Twice was a privilege. It's been a pleasure.

I am most definitely a mad man with a blog.

#4803 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 09:24 PM

Both are made accessible by the same piece of tech, because they're essentially the same thing. If a species evolved in, say, 1/3 gravity, Battlemechs and power armor would mostly be identical. Earth is just annoyingly heavy.

(I've looked into it; Battlemechs are the best choice for warfare on Mars)

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."
"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

#4804 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 09:27 PM

Fair enough. Expect my people to avoid infantry combat until some research has been done so I can acquire what is, in their original concept, a fairly distinctive trait of theirs.

Gentlemen, fooling you once with this trick was an honor. Twice was a privilege. It's been a pleasure.

#4805 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 01:41 AM

Map of Starscape Cluster by Star System Types

Edited by Xomeron, Apr 01 2013 - 01:41 AM.

-Rover

#4806 Offline Kothra

Kothra
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,977 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 09:53 AM

So people are expected to only have a handful of systems even in the long run?

And should the scale really be that small? I would expect systems to be at least somewhat more spread out. Of course, you probably have a better idea of this than I do, so I'll just go with it.

Posted Image

#4807 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

Lloyd: the White Wolf
  • Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,517 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 10:23 AM

I'm more interested in the fact that there don't seem to be any significant astrographic obstructions short of black holes, such as huge voids in space.

Also, dibs on 55.

:w:

#4808 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 11:21 AM

You may want to make one light year a lot smaller on that map, considering that the nearest solar system to Earth is more than 4 light years away. Either this is a really densely-packed star cluster (which says wonderfully bad things about habitability), or your scale is wonky.

Also, black numbers on maroon circles on a black background are not helpful.

And there's no way to mark system possession (unless you're going with my lovely wonderful bloodthirsty idea that a planet, once officially claimed by a species, is not instantly colonised by it, and likewise a system, allowing people to claim-jump and muck about with someone's territory).

And your key could be much more pleasantly formatted (and in a corner, which would be beautiful). An indication in the key that a split-colour system is a binary system would likewise be helpful.

This would be much more fun with a Hubble Deep Field picture instead of a plain black background. Kind of, you know, tradition, I guess.

#4809 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 12:22 PM

Rover, this is a very dense cluster, we average around half a light year apart.

System possession will be marked on an entirely separate map. Think of it as having a Political and Geographic map, IN SPACE.

I'll be adding the Deep Field background later.

-Rover

#4810 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 2,680 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 12:58 PM

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]I presume the actual stellar formation processes that'd entail such tight clustering (mainly being at the galactic core, a not-so-nice place) are being handwaved?[/font]

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

#4811 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 01:06 PM

The galactic core is a fine place to live.

This star cluster is near the center of one of the Clouds of Magellan.

-Rover

#4812 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hmm. I would prefer something that gives more room between systems, largely for the benefit of sneaking around. As I don't see any way the players are going to not metagame and instantly detect any ship that's "close" to their system, regardless of the distance between systems, I suppose it doesn't matter.

#4813 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 01:59 PM

Only way to detect stuff is EM Radiation and gravity, which move at the speed of light, and Hyperwave, which can't see anything except Neutronium, Degenerate Matter, and Stasis Fields.

-Rover

#4814 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:04 PM

By the way, love the Skype-based system you're using for system-claiming, what with my computer's inability to install Skype and all.

#4815 Offline Kothra

Kothra
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,977 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:11 PM

If you people are claiming systems over skype while I'm not there and writing this blasted paper, I'm going to cry.

Edited by Kothra, Apr 01 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Posted Image

#4816 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:12 PM

System claims are open everywhere now. G'head and post them here,

Political Map

-Rover

#4817 Offline Kothra

Kothra
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,977 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:15 PM

I guess I'll go with system #7. Colour is cerulean blue.

Posted Image

#4818 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:17 PM

8 looks promising to me. I could be evil and say to paint it black, but I think indigo is good enough.

EDIT: Hold that thought until such time as I have confirmation of my co-conspirator's status with regard to this RPG. Species name is Cysgodin if the news I get is good.

Edited by Ymper Trymon, Apr 01 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#4819 Offline Canis Lycaon

Canis Lycaon
  • Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,280 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:32 PM

I claim 58. A Brown Dwarf for me. Can color be a dark grey? Species name is the Carus.

Edited by Canis Lupus, Apr 01 2013 - 02:34 PM.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

#4820 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:33 PM

When you tell me your star system, I also need your color and species name.

-Rover

#4821 Offline Canis Lycaon

Canis Lycaon
  • Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,280 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:35 PM

I added color and name to mine.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

#4822 Offline Madara: Mangekyou Master

Madara: Mangekyou Master
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:43 PM

Star System: 44

Species Name: Asura

Color: Navy Blue

Edited by Madara: Mangekyou Master, Apr 01 2013 - 02:55 PM.

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

#4823 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:49 PM

System 58 contains three airless worlds, two Reduced Atmosphere worlds, one Terrestrial World, one Ice Ball, and one Gas Giant.

System 44 contains two Airless Worlds, two Reduced Atmosphere worlds, one Terrestrial World, three Pressure Cookers, two Ice Balls, a Gas Giant, two Asteroid Belts and one Proto Star.

Lucky you, Madara, you have the best starting system yet.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12qvRvwjR10pyaWwU_uO5WmchUcwsVHVZEdnKwuK7B4Y/edit]System Compositon[/url]

Google Docs is a wonderful thing.

Edited by Xomeron, Apr 01 2013 - 02:50 PM.

-Rover

#4824 Offline Commander Viral

Commander Viral
  • Members
  • FFM The Order Winner

• 3,514 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:00 PM

System: 42 or 20(If someone wants one of these speak now, otherwise Xom, flip a coin or something).

Species: Celdroves

Color: Dark Green

"I'll tell you two things: First, any human on the surface will be completely annihilated by our Human Eradication Army. Second, that is my dinner - give it back!"
2lxvyvp.jpg

#4825 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm out of the Sci-Fi RTS. It's not even done yet and we've already got drama brewing up.

I've got enough on my plate.

"Shall this great kingdom, that has survived, whole and entire, the Danish depredations, the Scottish inroads, and the Norman conquest; that has stood the threatened invasion of the Spanish Armada, now fall prostrate before the House of Bourbon? Surely, my Lords, this nation is no longer what it was! Shall a people, that seventeen years ago was the terror of the world, now stoop so low as to tell its ancient inveterate enemy, take all we have, only give us peace? It is impossible! ...My Lords, any state is better than despair. Let us at least make one effort; and if we must fall, let us fall like men!"

-William Pitt the Elder, before suffering a fatal stroke on the floor of the House of Lords.

#4826 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:04 PM

System 42 has a Supernova Remnant. System 20 has a black hole. Neither has habitable planets.

-Rover

#4827 Offline Commander Viral

Commander Viral
  • Members
  • FFM The Order Winner

• 3,514 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:06 PM

But that was going to be the fun part...

Alright fine, 57.

"I'll tell you two things: First, any human on the surface will be completely annihilated by our Human Eradication Army. Second, that is my dinner - give it back!"
2lxvyvp.jpg

#4828 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:09 PM

Well there goes my co-conspirator... Do Fleetborns still have to pick a system?

#4829 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:13 PM

No, but Alex has claimed the planet he plans on picking first.

Fleetborns need planets to draw resources for their Forgeships and Garden Ships from; the Forgeships and Garden ships just multiply them.

-Rover

#4830 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:16 PM

So in other words, it's probably best to pick somewhere to land.

First stop, System 8, Crimson, Serraʔ if you can get the glottal stop symbol in there, otherwise I'll go with Cythraul, the name given to them by the empire that crushed them.

#4831 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'll also note, I'm very concerned at how much of a role Skype is taking in the RPG.

It's a BZP RPG, one would think the site it is hosted on would play a more important role.

Edited by Basilisk, Apr 01 2013 - 03:38 PM.

"Shall this great kingdom, that has survived, whole and entire, the Danish depredations, the Scottish inroads, and the Norman conquest; that has stood the threatened invasion of the Spanish Armada, now fall prostrate before the House of Bourbon? Surely, my Lords, this nation is no longer what it was! Shall a people, that seventeen years ago was the terror of the world, now stoop so low as to tell its ancient inveterate enemy, take all we have, only give us peace? It is impossible! ...My Lords, any state is better than despair. Let us at least make one effort; and if we must fall, let us fall like men!"

-William Pitt the Elder, before suffering a fatal stroke on the floor of the House of Lords.

#4832 Offline Madara: Mangekyou Master

Madara: Mangekyou Master
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:38 PM

I'll also note, I'm very concerned at how much of a role Skype is taking in the RPG. It's a BZP RPG, one would think the site is hosted on would play a more important role.

This is a very valid concern. There is almost no concrete information on the game here.

Edited by Madara: Mangekyou Master, Apr 01 2013 - 03:38 PM.

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

#4833 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:39 PM

That, combined with the drama, is why I'm leaving this one off my plate.

I don't have Skype and I'm not going to play catch-up in an RPG because of it.

#4834 Offline More Fierce Than Fire

More Fierce Than Fire
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,647 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:40 PM

Kind of a good point. Perhaps you should write up a proper draft before going any further Xom? So everyone can feel included

The bells were ringing in the dale

And men looked up with faces pale

smaug.jpg

The dragon's ire more fierce than fire

Laid low their towers and houses frail

#4835 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:40 PM

Most of the concrete information is in Google Docs. The Skype currently consists of Q&A and me complaining about Mass Effect 2.

https://drive.google.com/?usp=chrome_app#folders/0BwBWo5FzN-KvYmxRMWxuUW5jSzA]All those Google Docs.[/url] The "Buried Treasure" doc is locked for a reason.

As for working on a proper draft, I think I ought to start on that now. The doc is https://docs.google....M6kRg/edit]Here[/url]. It's public, so feel free to join, comment, and help write it.

Edited by Xomeron, Apr 01 2013 - 03:54 PM.

-Rover

#4836 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:42 PM

And the google docs pages don't work for me anymore. 

I suspect some others won't be able to access them as well. 

The is a BZP RPG, not a google docs RPG, not a Skype RPG. Some people don't like clicking links to other sites as well. 

BZP is playing what amounts to a rather minor role at the moment. I don't like that.

#4837 Offline More Fierce Than Fire

More Fierce Than Fire
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,647 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:43 PM

And you hadn't actually posted half those google docs until now :P

The bells were ringing in the dale

And men looked up with faces pale

smaug.jpg

The dragon's ire more fierce than fire

Laid low their towers and houses frail

#4838 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:54 PM

I'm just holding all the data there instead of on my hard drive so everyone can see it. Not sure why you can't see them, Basilisk.

-Rover

#4839 Offline thelonewander

thelonewander
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 29 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 03:57 PM

I can't seem to see them either.

War...war never changes.

A wanderer always walks the lonesome road at some point. always

Tales of the Wanderer

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

Everything I touch turns to Ashes,

...It slips right though my hands

#4840 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 04:03 PM

So the people who mainly browse the site the RPG is going to be hosted on are getting screwed over.

I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

If Skype and Google Docs play this much of a role in the main RPG, I can't say for certain I'll approve this.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users