The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Computer speeds available to everyone are so high that measuring them in FLOPS is pointless because the numbers are so high.

You could fit the internet on a memory bank of 10 cubic feet.

A functioning mind can be stored in a computer roughly half the size of the brain it originated from.

As a note, though, Computer Science is basically over by the time of Starscape. Electronic computers are so miniaturized that they're essentially working on the sizes of the electrons themselves, thus no processing speed advances are expected, short of a breakthrough in some other field.

Edited by Xomeron
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Also, the practicality of powered armor is quite different from that of Battlemechs. Can powered armor still be used if you do not have the Humongous Mecha trait, seeing as a suit of armor with motors to assist the user's movement is, in terms of technological difficulty, rather a long step down from a Battlemech?

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Both are made accessible by the same piece of tech, because they're essentially the same thing. If a species evolved in, say, 1/3 gravity, Battlemechs and power armor would mostly be identical. Earth is just annoyingly heavy.

(I've looked into it; Battlemechs are the best choice for warfare on Mars)

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Fair enough. Expect my people to avoid infantry combat until some research has been done so I can acquire what is, in their original concept, a fairly distinctive trait of theirs.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Map of Starscape Cluster by Star System Types

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

So people are expected to only have a handful of systems even in the long run?

And should the scale really be that small? I would expect systems to be at least somewhat more spread out. Of course, you probably have a better idea of this than I do, so I'll just go with it.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

You may want to make one light year a lot smaller on that map, considering that the nearest solar system to Earth is more than 4 light years away. Either this is a really densely-packed star cluster (which says wonderfully bad things about habitability), or your scale is wonky.

Also, black numbers on maroon circles on a black background are not helpful.

And there's no way to mark system possession (unless you're going with my lovely wonderful bloodthirsty idea that a planet, once officially claimed by a species, is not instantly colonised by it, and likewise a system, allowing people to claim-jump and muck about with someone's territory).

And your key could be much more pleasantly formatted (and in a corner, which would be beautiful). An indication in the key that a split-colour system is a binary system would likewise be helpful.

This would be much more fun with a Hubble Deep Field picture instead of a plain black background. Kind of, you know, tradition, I guess.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Rover, this is a very dense cluster, we average around half a light year apart.

System possession will be marked on an entirely separate map. Think of it as having a Political and Geographic map, IN SPACE.

I'll be adding the Deep Field background later.

-Rover

I presume the actual stellar formation processes that'd entail such tight clustering (mainly being at the galactic core, a not-so-nice place) are being handwaved?

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

The galactic core is a fine place to live.

This star cluster is near the center of one of the Clouds of Magellan.

-Rover

Hmm. I would prefer something that gives more room between systems, largely for the benefit of sneaking around. As I don't see any way the players are going to not metagame and instantly detect any ship that's "close" to their system, regardless of the distance between systems, I suppose it doesn't matter.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Only way to detect stuff is EM Radiation and gravity, which move at the speed of light, and Hyperwave, which can't see anything except Neutronium, Degenerate Matter, and Stasis Fields.

-Rover

By the way, love the Skype-based system you're using for system-claiming, what with my computer's inability to install Skype and all.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

System claims are open everywhere now. G'head and post them here,

Political Map

-Rover

8 looks promising to me. I could be evil and say to paint it black, but I think indigo is good enough.

EDIT: Hold that thought until such time as I have confirmation of my co-conspirator's status with regard to this RPG. Species name is Cysgodin if the news I get is good.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

When you tell me your star system, I also need your color and species name.

-Rover

System 58 contains three airless worlds, two Reduced Atmosphere worlds, one Terrestrial World, one Ice Ball, and one Gas Giant.

System 44 contains two Airless Worlds, two Reduced Atmosphere worlds, one Terrestrial World, three Pressure Cookers, two Ice Balls, a Gas Giant, two Asteroid Belts and one Proto Star.

Lucky you, Madara, you have the best starting system yet.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12qvRvwjR10pyaWwU_uO5WmchUcwsVHVZEdnKwuK7B4Y/edit]System Compositon[/url]

Google Docs is a wonderful thing.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

I'm out of the Sci-Fi RTS. It's not even done yet and we've already got drama brewing up.

I've got enough on my plate.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

System 42 has a Supernova Remnant. System 20 has a black hole. Neither has habitable planets.

-Rover

No, but Alex has claimed the planet he plans on picking first.

Fleetborns need planets to draw resources for their Forgeships and Garden Ships from; the Forgeships and Garden ships just multiply them.

-Rover

So in other words, it's probably best to pick somewhere to land.

First stop, System 8, Crimson, Serraʔ if you can get the glottal stop symbol in there, otherwise I'll go with Cythraul, the name given to them by the empire that crushed them.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'll also note, I'm very concerned at how much of a role Skype is taking in the RPG.

It's a BZP RPG, one would think the site it is hosted on would play a more important role.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I'll also note, I'm very concerned at how much of a role Skype is taking in the RPG. It's a BZP RPG, one would think the site is hosted on would play a more important role.

This is a very valid concern. There is almost no concrete information on the game here. Edited by Madara: Mangekyou Master

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

That, combined with the drama, is why I'm leaving this one off my plate.

I don't have Skype and I'm not going to play catch-up in an RPG because of it.

Most of the concrete information is in Google Docs. The Skype currently consists of Q&A and me complaining about Mass Effect 2.

https://drive.google.com/?usp=chrome_app#folders/0BwBWo5FzN-KvYmxRMWxuUW5jSzA]All those Google Docs.[/url] The "Buried Treasure" doc is locked for a reason.

As for working on a proper draft, I think I ought to start on that now. The doc is https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oRmDZ1CUVheOWQozVGuV9Fxw3J25OLecNGLlTiM6kRg/edit]Here[/url]. It's public, so feel free to join, comment, and help write it.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

And the google docs pages don't work for me anymore.

I suspect some others won't be able to access them as well.

The is a BZP RPG, not a google docs RPG, not a Skype RPG. Some people don't like clicking links to other sites as well.

BZP is playing what amounts to a rather minor role at the moment. I don't like that.

I'm just holding all the data there instead of on my hard drive so everyone can see it. Not sure why you can't see them, Basilisk.

-Rover

I can't seem to see them either.

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

So the people who mainly browse the site the RPG is going to be hosted on are getting screwed over.

I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

If Skype and Google Docs play this much of a role in the main RPG, I can't say for certain I'll approve this.