The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

species features a caste entirely devoted to war

Not the case here.

So brain uploading and mind-swapping, yes. Cyberspace society, absolutely freaking not.

Prosthetics for those who need them, yes. Glorious Army of Cybermen, not at the present time.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I said not at the present time, okay. You're completely ruining my attempts at hiding my plan to convert all sapient life.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Ah, yes. "Rover" The ancient RPer who has been around since the beginning of the RTSRPG format, vying to convert all life in the galaxy into glorious cybernetics.

We have dismissed that claim.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

As well you should, I'm totally not plotting anything of the sort.

[Just robo-suit wearing Time Lords who stab people in the neck.]

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I thought you were playing a Machine Race.

HOW DO YOU HAVE MACHINE CYBORGS.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I'm considering my builds is all.

One on glorious machine hand-Cybermen. Awesome.

One the other glorious machine hand-Machine race. Awesome.

This is hard.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

If anyone wants to join, we have a group chat going on Skype. Send a contact request to drrobert14 and I'll add you..

-Rover

Alright. Those RPG concepts I mentioned?

.....Yeah. I've latched onto a new concept. Count of hands, who would be interested in an RTS that starts at 1900 tech levels?

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I think two RTSs on one forum is the most we should go for.

-Rover

I agree with Xom for the moment.

Also, I do hope there's not going to be absolutely critical information on the Skype chat, seeing as I loathe and therefore do not use Skype.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

It's just a discussion. Critical stuff will go through the Thread,

-Rover

Roger roger.

Pointless trivia -> Skype

Critical stuff -> Thread

Super-critical stuff that will decide the fate of all races in the game -> PMs between myself and Basilisk

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Super-critical stuff that will decide the fate of all races in the game -> PMs between myself and Basilisk

Shhhhhhhh.

Wolves do not announce themselves to the sheep.

I'm trying out a new idea. See, being completely obvious about our plans leads them to disregard the plans, and laugh them off. Surely I would never be so stupid as to announce my exact plans, in detail, before the game started. That would be ridiculous. Like if I went down the street announcing myself as an imperialistic space Nazi. So they'll never expect us to actually implement those exact plans, and so we'll have the upper...

...This isn't the PM. Welp.

Plan B. They discover our plans, and plan around our plans, and then we plan around the plan that they are planning around our other plans.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yes yes, that makes sense, but if they find out about our plans to use the Skip Drive to blow up planets by mounting them on-uh.....

.....Plan B it is.

As a note, unless specifically stated otherwise, I'll be assuming your ships use a Ramjet for propulsion, because that's usually the best choice.

-Rover

I think two RTSs on one forum is the most we should go for.

I don't know if Spirits and Men counts though, seeing as there's no math or algebra, and even your spiritual discoveries are kept track of by the GMs. The only thing you need to do is remember your villager's names. I suggest numerical naming. Sextus, Septimus, the sort.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Just wanted to put my two cents on the IP system here.

I like the idea that Humva had in Fields of Gold about getting a certain number of points in a certain time-frame. It takes the pressure off the player to SPEND EVERYTHING since you can use it later and makes it so that you can buy things from other players with something other then technology.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Yeah, we already discussed that in the Skype chat and it's been changed accordingly.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Alright, I might have been there if I had read about before it ended.

Both RTS games look interesting but I'd probably just go with the space one due to time constraints. Also @Xomeron- six points seems like a little too few to spend. Several of the perks cost more then half your points for a rather limited gain.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

The gains from the Three Point traits are actually pretty huge. Artificial Gravity unlocks so much high engineering it's not even funny, Engineered For War can let you essentially dominate any infantry confrontation, and Transhuman Society means no one ever dies, along with all sorts of benefits. Six points seems like a fine amount to me, and I'm sticking with it.

Economic System

Racial Traits

Ships(Work In Progress)

-Rover

I agree, six is plenty. More than enough, though unless I misread something the first go-round, you've upped Transhuman Society to 4 points, which rather neutralizes the idea of going half-in on it for Intermediate Transhumanism, i.e. prostheses, limited use of mind-uploading (most people die), mind-swapping as you suggested, etc. Am I going to have to just pick a one-point skill I frankly don't want (some are nice, none fit), or can we get a one-point Intermediate Transhumanism in here?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'd say pick a one-point one. Space Elevator? Any society would want to build one of those.

-Rover

Space Elevator isn't really their style, I'm afraid. Not at the outset. They would, however, be very interested in enhancing and fixing the body, using computer-brain interfaces for various applications, and not replacing their entire interface with a full-bore electronic transhumanist cyberspace society. Either a reassurance that this intermediate form I want is possible without spending points on it, or a cheaper, Transhumanist-lite package, would be very much appreciated, and, perhaps, vitally important to my intended playstyle.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Space Elevator isn't really their style, I'm afraid. Not at the outset. They would, however, be very interested in enhancing and fixing the body, using computer-brain interfaces for various applications, and not replacing their entire interface with a full-bore electronic transhumanist cyberspace society. Either a reassurance that this intermediate form I want is possible without spending points on it, or a cheaper, Transhumanist-lite package, would be very much appreciated, and, perhaps, vitally important to my intended playstyle.

Suggestion: Write up a description of the trait and send it to Xom, he'll see if it should be added.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Would you accept custom traits, Xom? Because the race I have in mind is rather unique, and the traits semi-lock you into a pattern. Basically I'm planning sentient hive-mind trees who manipulate the genetics of their wildlife to create host bodies when they desire to go off world. Their tech would be organic in nature, though the trees themselves are made of a natural metal alloy which would carry over to their tech. I'm just trying to figure out how I can achieve that with these options.

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Yay for soft sci-fi. Hated the facted that you need to be a mathematician to play IL and Starscape.

(PS: Late to the party. I know.)

Edited by Vahki-Nui

8% of the people epically wins with comic making. If you are the 92% that fails at it, copy and paste this into your sig

100% of people here are humans. If you are somehow a matoran, pate this in your sig.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9187

So, I have a couple of questions/comments on the traits system of the Starscape revival.

1. Will we get a list of governments to choose from?
  2. What is being used to define 'Hazardous environment'? For the race that evolved in one, then that environment is perfectly normal to them.
  3. Will satellites have artificial gravity even if you didn't buy that trait?
  4. It says that transhuman ships are driven by personalities. What does this mean?
  5. Is it necessary to get Space Launch? What does it do, anyway?
  6. Can my race get attributes they didn't start with? (Tech attribute wise)

This looks really good overall. Humanoid wolf race, here I come!

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

Write it up and send it to me.

Would you accept custom traits, Xom? Because the race I have in mind is rather unique, and the traits semi-lock you into a pattern. Basically I'm planning sentient hive-mind trees who manipulate the genetics of their wildlife to create host bodies when they desire to go off world. Their tech would be organic in nature, though the trees themselves are made of a natural metal alloy which would carry over to their tech. I'm just trying to figure out how I can achieve that with these options.

Genetic Masters and Biotech, plus an FTL drive of some sort.

So, I have a couple of questions/comments on the traits system of the Starscape revival.

1. Will we get a list of governments to choose from?
  2. What is being used to define 'Hazardous environment'? For the race that evolved in one, then that environment is perfectly normal to them.
  3. Will satellites have artificial gravity even if you didn't buy that trait?
  4. It says that transhuman ships are driven by personalities. What does this mean?
  5. Is it necessary to get Space Launch? What does it do, anyway?
  6. Can my race get attributes they didn't start with? (Tech attribute wise)

This looks really good overall. Humanoid wolf race, here I come!

1: Your governments aren't listed; they're completely open ended.

2: Humans are used as the average here.

3: Artificial Gravity is the use of Gravity Projectors. If you don't buy that trait, your race can't build Gravity Projectors.

4: Basically, in transhuman society everyone is an AI, and the ships are run by them. That's the most basic way to put it.

5: Not necessary, Interstellar Launch is mostly used with the Superlight drive, since those ships need to get up to 5% lightspeed somehow.

6: Yes, research and purchasing technology from other races are the best ways to do it.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

Can we have alliances with other species at the start, or is this first contact for us?

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

I would think not, as they are just one mind with many bodies, if I read the trait description right.

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

Can we have alliances with other species at the start, or is this first contact for us?

First contact

Being a hive mind, would they have to have perfect dictatorship, or can I just use the hive-mind trait?

Hive Mind is good enough. Perfect Dictatorship has some very specific effects

-Rover

Out of curiosity, what is the typical expected space occupancy of a computer containing all that is necessary for a fully-functioning mind?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

And by that effect, what processing speeds? I could go on all day about the exact technicalities but alas that'd be better suited towards my computer science friend and not me, so a general idea of processing power as well as storage for brain uploads and/or sapient AI would be good.

voidstars.png