Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

But don't expect to see them anytime soon; i've got a LOT of schoolwork coming up.

I feel your pain; I've got a lot of things to research and write now. Final year of university college -- after this I'm supposed to get a job. Oh my. :P

@ Katuko: do you still have the webbed Rahkshi spine I made, or did you lose that when your computer crashed?

I have them. I did lose a few things from my external drive, but that image was not among them. Plus, the link is still in this topic, so I could just re-download it if needed.

Here's a blog entry about making sprites, by the way. It deals mostly with image formats and why you should get something other than MS Paint. :lol: Explaining actual art is best left to others, I feel -- I've linked to one pixel art tutorial in my post.

EDIT: This topic just reached 1800 replies. Woot.

Edited by Katuko

But don't expect to see them anytime soon; i've got a LOT of schoolwork coming up.

I feel your pain; I've got a lot of things to research and write now. Final year of university college -- after this I'm supposed to get a job. Oh my. :P

@ Katuko: do you still have the webbed Rahkshi spine I made, or did you lose that when your computer crashed?

I have them. I did lose a few things from my external drive, but that image was not among them. Plus, the link is still in this topic, so I could just re-download it if needed.

Here's a blog entry about making sprites, by the way. It deals mostly with image formats and why you should get something other than MS Paint. :lol: Explaining actual art is best left to others, I feel -- I've linked to one pixel art tutorial in my post.

EDIT: This topic just reached 1800 replies. Woot

CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for your help on posting images

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

Well I tried the new update, and I say to you: well done indeed. :D Earlier on I was playing as iron and psionic toa less often because of lack of abilities, but those fit them very nicely :D Keep up the good work, I'll keep an eye out for more updates (two eyes as often as I can spare them) ;)

Btw, I like the new mask designs, but I must ask, what would the Tryna do? :???: Will there be random rahi skeletons or something lying around that they can reanimate? Could they "save" a defeated enemy before they disintegrate and make them fight for themselves while they hide in a safe place? Sounds like a cool possibility. :)

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Well I tried the new update, and I say to you: well done indeed. :D Earlier on I was playing as iron and psionic toa less often because of lack of abilities, but those fit them very nicely :D Keep up the good work, I'll keep an eye out for more updates (two eyes as often as I can spare them) ;)

Btw, I like the new mask designs, but I must ask, what would the Tryna do? :???: Will there be random rahi skeletons or something lying around that they can reanimate? Could they "save" a defeated enemy before they disintegrate and make them fight for themselves while they hide in a safe place? Sounds like a cool possibility. :)

Yes but sounds a bit boss being able to reanimate fallen enemies if it did it should take a large amount of power or only be able to reanimate one at a time other then that it would be a great idea, more practical would be if you could control multiple characters such as upon death you can take over the fallen body which lasts for a certain amount of time like Kanohi, Swords and armor

:voyanui:

what would the Tryna do?

There are two good ways of implementing the Tryna that I can see: Either I hurry up and make ragdoll corpses as intended (thus giving you something to target with the power) or I make anything you kill with the mask active follow you around.

Actual functionality to be announced. I imagine resurrections would take some time depending on the target, and the mask would likely drain energy faster the more minions you create. There could also be a cap on how many you can create at once. I have some ideas jotted down for many things, so I will post some of my Kanohi plans once I touch them up a bit.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of the followers. Though random rag dolls would be fun too, like in the Onu-Koro caves, you had those broken Bohrok, if you could have randomly placed beings that the mask could animate, that'd be interesting.

Btw, what other types of masks are you planning on adding?

Formerly Iron_Man5

I will be adding whatever masks I can, so long as they have a gameplay purpose and are not overly complex. For example, the Mask of Mind Control has been off-limits to programming for the time being due to the way it would either be an annoying stun power, or it would cause problematic AI or other controls to be shoved onto a player. Powers like Translation are also pretty useless to program in a fighting game, unless I stretch it a bit and let the mask cause Rahi to stop attacking you.

- The Tryna has been mentioned, it could make dead beings follow you like AI squad for a while.

- The Mask of Rebounding will make weapons automatically return to you - this includes thrown knives, Kanoka disks and pretty much any blade once the new engine comes around. Ammunition that disappears on hit (such as Cordak and laser shots) will naturally not rebound.

- The Mask of Undeath, if added, would drain energy to no effect whenever you turn it on. So long as it is doing its thing, your stats mildly decrease. Once you die, the energy you spent will appear in a bar, causing your corpse to keep wandering around until it is spent. Undeath would decrease your stats a bit, drain EP continually, and make you unable to do most special moves, but it would give you some extra time to do whatever you were doing. Getting hit would lower the energy bar instead of doing health damage (as you would have zero at this point). There is no way to avoid death, as you can not refill health and energy in this state. You will eventually expire and need to respawn.

- The Iden could make you drop a "corpse" at your feet and then fly around in an invisible state, allowing you to scout the map. The body can take damage and be knocked around, but your ghost form is invisible and untouchable. You can likewise not attack or use any other power while ghost-walking. Beings wearing the Rode or Elda can see you, but still not touch you.

- The Elda can ping items in the vicinity and point them out to you. In modes where there is an objective on the map - such as the Keystone - the Elda will point the way to them as well. The Elda can also detect invisible beings, like the Rode. Unlike the Rode, it can not detect illusions, and it will not show enemy stats.

- The Mohtrek could summon AI clones of yourself. Any damage they sustain would be shared by all the clones and yourself (meaning that while you gain increased offensive power, something like a fireball could potentially damage you a lot more than normal if it hits two or three clones at once). Naturally, if any one of you dies, the rest die as well. And note: There will be no stupid time paradoxes in my game. ;) There would be a limit on the amount of clones you could have, and the mask power would "time out" and shut off rather quickly.

- The Crast can simply bounce people and projectiles away in a cone-shaped blast, and allow you to hover when the power is aimed downwards. You could be able to tilt the cone up and down to aim the repulsion effect.

- The Zatth would bring in a random Rahi, once I program more of them. The Rahi would not be loyal to you.

- The Sanok would give your projectiles a mild homing effect when turned on, and otherwise just show a targeting laser whenever you aim.

• Upvote 1

I agree. Very well thought out indeed. Sheesh, the more I find out about this, the more I really want to see the finished version haha. :D Bring it on!

On that topic, I was thinking about the Skakdi you were going to bring in, would they only be able to choose from vision powers that the six Piraka had, since those are the only ones we know about, or were you going to add in some special onces that could potentially have been a skakdi power? :)

Formerly Iron_Man5

On that topic, I was thinking about the Skakdi you were going to bring in, would they only be able to choose from vision powers that the six Piraka had, since those are the only ones we know about, or were you going to add in some special onces that could potentially have been a skakdi power? :)

I think I'll file a lot of powers that can arguably be called sight-based in the Skakdi vision category: Telekinesis, for example.

I will be adding whatever masks I can, so long as they have a gameplay purpose and are not overly complex. For example, the Mask of Mind Control has been off-limits to programming for the time being due to the way it would either be an annoying stun power, or it would cause problematic AI or other controls to be shoved onto a player. Powers like Translation are also pretty useless to program in a fighting game, unless I stretch it a bit and let the mask cause Rahi to stop attacking you.

- The Tryna has been mentioned, it could make dead beings follow you like AI squad for a while.

- The Mask of Rebounding will make weapons automatically return to you - this includes thrown knives, Kanoka disks and pretty much any blade once the new engine comes around. Ammunition that disappears on hit (such as Cordak and laser shots) will naturally not rebound.

- The Mask of Undeath, if added, would drain energy to no effect whenever you turn it on. So long as it is doing its thing, your stats mildly decrease. Once you die, the energy you spent will appear in a bar, causing your corpse to keep wandering around until it is spent. Undeath would decrease your stats a bit, drain EP continually, and make you unable to do most special moves, but it would give you some extra time to do whatever you were doing. Getting hit would lower the energy bar instead of doing health damage (as you would have zero at this point). There is no way to avoid death, as you can not refill health and energy in this state. You will eventually expire and need to respawn.

- The Iden could make you drop a "corpse" at your feet and then fly around in an invisible state, allowing you to scout the map. The body can take damage and be knocked around, but your ghost form is invisible and untouchable. You can likewise not attack or use any other power while ghost-walking. Beings wearing the Rode or Elda can see you, but still not touch you.

- The Elda can ping items in the vicinity and point them out to you. In modes where there is an objective on the map - such as the Keystone - the Elda will point the way to them as well. The Elda can also detect invisible beings, like the Rode. Unlike the Rode, it can not detect illusions, and it will not show enemy stats.

- The Mohtrek could summon AI clones of yourself. Any damage they sustain would be shared by all the clones and yourself (meaning that while you gain increased offensive power, something like a fireball could potentially damage you a lot more than normal if it hits two or three clones at once). Naturally, if any one of you dies, the rest die as well. And note: There will be no stupid time paradoxes in my game. ;) There would be a limit on the amount of clones you could have, and the mask power would "time out" and shut off rather quickly.

- The Crast can simply bounce people and projectiles away in a cone-shaped blast, and allow you to hover when the power is aimed downwards. You could be able to tilt the cone up and down to aim the repulsion effect.

- The Zatth would bring in a random Rahi, once I program more of them. The Rahi would not be loyal to you.

- The Sanok would give your projectiles a mild homing effect when turned on, and otherwise just show a targeting laser whenever you aim.

WOW!! I can't believe how much you've thought this through!

20795.jpg

It's very clear that you've thought this whole thing through very thoroughly, I tip my hat to you.

I agree. Very well thought out indeed.

WOW!! I can't believe how much you've thought this through!

Honestly? While I think a lot about things such as shield, gun and power mechanics, some of these mask ideas were just tossed together in the span of 5-10 minutes. I simply have some experience with making games and seeing what works for balance, so it comes naturally to me, you could say. :)

Edited by Katuko

Kanohi matatu would probably do what a toa of psionics would do around a heck load of weapons right?

I was thinking it'd be more of a single-target ability. You press the button and aim the power as with the Kualsi, then release. This will start using energy to lift the targeted object and/or being. Press the button again to shut off the ability.

Incidentally, this was going to be the Toa of Psionics secondary, and may still be. I could make the Emanate power capable of grabbing solid objects out of mid-air too, foregoing the need to create a full-on shield that only blocks solids. Plus, lifting and moving stuff is a pretty basic telekinetic ability.

I was originally going to make an Environment ability for every power (you can see its key option in the Settings menu), which would be a targeted version of your power. With Fire you could target a spot and have a small fire erupt, for example, or create a pillar of fire in lava. Psionics would have telekinesis as their targeted power. Since I've gotten this far without programming any of them, though, and with the upcoming shields requiring a button, it's looking like I might have to rethink the power setup slightly.

Unless you wouldn't mind having blocking on Ctrl, with Space as the default "environment" button as it currently is. Q and Z-X-C is also available, I believe, so if you prefer to remap it that shouldn't be a problem. "Environment" wouldn't be an ability you'd use while too occupied with other things anyways.

What about having a selection of powers for each element that you could pick two of? Would something like that be possible? This could reduce the amount of keys needed (potentially) and allow for more versatility.

Edited by ~Shockwave~

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Do you have any plans on adding the Kanohi Varian?

Kanohi what now? If you're talking about the Kanohi which Toa Varian wore: That was a Calix, and briefly a Mask of Elemental Energy. Said mask was designed as a video game power-up which instantly refilled your energy, which makes it pretty tailor-made for a game like this already. Due to its power I'd say it would only spawn in a few designated locations, such as in the Codrex. You would not need a second key to activate it, it would either be used instantly upon pick-up, or lay above your regular mask until you chose to use it. This way its massive upside would be balanced either through forced usage, or through the inability to use your regular mask power until you spent it.

You may be also be talking about the Kanohi Vahi, which does fit above other masks. I have considered including it, but slowing time would require the entire game to be built with such an effect in mind. I have considered using something similar both for Rahkshi of Slow and for a post-match slow-mo (like in Super Smash Bros.), but I will have to do some CPU speed tests to see if the coolness factor is worth the cost it would have on overall game performance.

What about having a selection of powers for each element that you could pick two of? Would something like that be possible? This could reduce the amount of keys needed (potentially) and allow for more versatility.

Yes and no. My new engine will be built around the concept of making every power its own "thing", so that I will no longer have to worry about having to copy/paste stuff from the designated toa_fire() script just to make the Exo-Pyro boss use a modified fireball, for example. I would instead have a script like power_fireball() and then I'd set each character to have a list of scripts for each button. More freedom to mix-n-match powers etc., that is.

Still, from a game balance perspective, it may not be wise to let users mix-n-match. Inevitably, some ability combinations will overpower others, and the current selection of powers have been chosen as an attempt to balance each Toa internally. For example, with one "stream" power and one "burst" power. Plus, the new Perk system will allow you to change certain abilities by spending a point on them - and these changes will be carefully balanced as well. An example I posted some time ago was the Fireball ability -- a perk will allow you to replace the single fireball with a burst of several weaker ones. Allows you to barrage an enemy, but for lessened damage and kickback.

In any case, assuming players have a homing blast + shield + telekinesis is easier to balance things around than thinking they might have any two but not three... for some reason. :P

• Upvote 1

Do you have any plans on adding the Kanohi Varian?

Kanohi what now? If you're talking about the Kanohi which Toa Varian wore: That was a Calix, and briefly a Mask of Elemental Energy. Said mask was designed as a video game power-up which instantly refilled your energy, which makes it pretty tailor-made for a game like this already. Due to its power I'd say it would only spawn in a few designated locations, such as in the Codrex. You would not need a second key to activate it, it would either be used instantly upon pick-up, or lay above your regular mask until you chose to use it. This way its massive upside would be balanced either through forced usage, or through the inability to use your regular mask power until you spent it.

Yeah elemental is what i meant i confused Varian and the mask together

:voyanui:

You may be also be talking about the Kanohi Vahi, which does fit above other masks. I have considered including it, but slowing time would require the entire game to be built with such an effect in mind. I have considered using something similar both for Rahkshi of Slow and for a post-match slow-mo (like in Super Smash Bros.), but I will have to do some CPU speed tests to see if the coolness factor is worth the cost it would have on overall game performance.

I've thought about this myself, and I was thinking that it could be used just for single-player matches

Yes and no. My new engine will be built around the concept of making every power its own "thing", so that I will no longer have to worry about having to copy/paste stuff from the designated toa_fire() script just to make the Exo-Pyro boss use a modified fireball, for example. I would instead have a script like power_fireball() and then I'd set each character to have a list of scripts for each button. More freedom to mix-n-match powers etc., that is.

Still, from a game balance perspective, it may not be wise to let users mix-n-match. Inevitably, some ability combinations will overpower others, and the current selection of powers have been chosen as an attempt to balance each Toa internally. For example, with one "stream" power and one "burst" power. Plus, the new Perk system will allow you to change certain abilities by spending a point on them - and these changes will be carefully balanced as well. An example I posted some time ago was the Fireball ability -- a perk will allow you to replace the single fireball with a burst of several weaker ones. Allows you to barrage an enemy, but for lessened damage and kickback.

In any case, assuming players have a homing blast + shield + telekinesis is easier to balance things around than thinking they might have any two but not three... for some reason. :P

I've wondered about this too. I've thought of various abilities for different elements, but as you said, some would be far more powerful than others.

20795.jpg

About the Mohtrek and paradoxes, you could make it so the player will always have 1 HP more than the clones, and can't die until all the clones are dead. Then it would pretty much be impossible for a paradox to take place.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I've thought about this myself, and I was thinking that it could be used just for single-player matches

Problem is, I either have to build everything - characters, powers, game states, etc - around being able to slow time, or I leave it out. I can cobble together a solution for a single power or game mode by making an object that "rewinds" every other, but it would be an inaccurate method and probably even slower to execute.

About the Mohtrek and paradoxes, you could make it so the player will always have 1 HP more than the clones, and can't die until all the clones are dead. Then it would pretty much be impossible for a paradox to take place.

Well, I mostly meant that if you die, you'd just die. No wiping you from the match or anything.

If I make sure that clones don't have more HP than the character, then that makes the clones entirely disposable. One hit would likely kill them. From a game balance perspective this might make sense, so I'll keep it in mind as an option.

Problem is, I either have to build everything - characters, powers, game states, etc - around being able to slow time, or I leave it out. I can cobble together a solution for a single power or game mode by making an object that "rewinds" every other, but it would be an inaccurate method and probably even slower to execute.

yeeeeaaaahhh maybe you should just go without the Vahi

20795.jpg

yeeeeaaaahhh maybe you should just go without the Vahi

How does the supercharge thing work? If it doesn't really require everything to be coded around it, couldn't you make an opposite of it in mask form but only reduces the speed stat of everything? I'm not really sure if you can do that, though.

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

How does the supercharge thing work? If it doesn't really require everything to be coded around it, couldn't you make an opposite of it in mask form but only reduces the speed stat of everything? I'm not really sure if you can do that, though.

The power-up just changes the base stats of the character to 11, so in a way everything is coded around it. To put it this way: If the game is coded to support something (in this case stats), then having an item that changes that something is easy to make. The Slow ability would reduce the speed stat of whomever it hits, but it would be pretty cool to have everything in slow-mo -- even jumping and other things.

I know how to make it, so if I can do it without sacrificing game speed, I will probably add it. If not, it's not really a big deal, but then I miiiight strike Rahkshi of Slow from the list in favor of, say, Elasticity. Having a faux time-slow effect for Slow would be so much more interesting than just a generic "lower speed" debuff, especially since Ice can apply a limited "lower speed" debuff already.

Edited by Katuko

I got to play the game with minimal problems ^^

The only thing crash I got was with Exo Toa on Karda Nui;

I had killed the one inside the Codrex, and other Exo Toa started appearing. When fighting a red one the game started stuttering and then crashed.

Also, the game can be very laggy for some reason or other...

(specs:

AMD Dual Core E1-1200

AMD Radeon HD 7310

Very far from the best at anything, so it could be that caused the lag...)

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

I got to play the game with minimal problems ^^

The only thing crash I got was with Exo Toa on Karda Nui;

I had killed the one inside the Codrex, and other Exo Toa started appearing. When fighting a red one the game started stuttering and then crashed.

Yeah, the boss has had a few problems because it uses a bit more code than the regular Exo-Toa. If you haven't tried the "Windows 8 fix" found in settings, try turning that on and see if it helps.

Also, the game can be very laggy for some reason or other...

(specs:

AMD Dual Core E1-1200

AMD Radeon HD 7310

Very far from the best at anything, so it could be that caused the lag...)

The game is inefficiently coded and contains a lot of calculations that are constantly going on behind the scenes. Coupled with a rather low-end graphics card and processor like the ones found in your laptop, it adds up to a lot of lag in-game.

Hopefully the upcoming rewrite of the engine will lend itself to a far more efficient code base, but since I'm swamped with work these days I haven't made any more progress on that for the time being.

Yeah, the boss has had a few problems because it uses a bit more code than the regular Exo-Toa. If you haven't tried the "Windows 8 fix" found in settings, try turning that on and see if it helps.

Oh! I didn't spot that yet, though multiple beings have already been using electric powers without crashing!

The game is inefficiently coded and contains a lot of calculations that are constantly going on behind the scenes. Coupled with a rather low-end graphics card and processor like the ones found in your laptop, it adds up to a lot of lag in-game.

Ah darn. Pretty much knew that was the reason. I mean, cripes! My laptop can't even play a game of 2005 on full settings!

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

Ah darn. Pretty much knew that was the reason. I mean, cripes! My laptop can't even play a game of 2005 on full settings!

Integrated laptop cards are pretty bad. Now, my laptop runs Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and all that jazz on max, but then again it's a portable beast of a computer. :P

Am I able to donate money towards this?

Not really, no. This game is a freeware project and I'm not really allowed to earn money on an intellectual property that is not mine (the BIONICLE series). It's not meant to give me any income, and it's not meant to cost you guys a penny. I take the time to make this game simply because I want to, little else. I spend some of my free time now and then to program, with no schedule set up. Thus paying or donating towards the development of this game would do just about nothing, because my work hours are random and I can't really afford to schedule this game when I got other things to do.

What would actually ensure that this game picks up speed is for people to help with sprites and other things I have trouble with -- I've already received some good sprites that can be used in the future. Getting some help with locating good sound effects, making maps, improving the interface, etc... those things give me a boost every time.

Oh, and feedback. Getting feedback gives me something to work on when it comes to improvement of the game. I should really take the time one of these days to list up every suggestion and contribution I've gotten so far, because there's a lot of ideas floating around which no one gets to read in an organized manner.

Sprite posting time!

Here are the sprites I used as a base for each launcher. It may help you in making new shapes, as I made mine by just adding fins onto them.

disk_launcher_base.png

launcher_poses.png

Here is an animated Visorak assembled from the sheet made by Mehul. (Thanks a lot for those walking poses!)

visorak_walk_sprite.gif

Here is an attempt by me to redo the Laser Harpoon sprite, as it's a bit awkward as-is. I didn't get the shape right either, but it's a WIP.

harpoonwip.png

This is your webbed Rahkshi spine, JacobLazer, but since it didn't quite fit the back of a Rahkshi I had to adjust it a bit. I touched up the shading too, in a quick effort to make it more like the other spines in terms of base color and light source. I dunno how well I did, but tell me what you think.

webbed_spine_wip.png

Inspired by your comment about Gorast's wing piece, I edited it into a "Bug Sword", as it were.

bug_sword.png

And here are some gun parts, stripped from existing weapons and reassembled. I was going to make a Borderlands-esque "random gun" system as a test file, but I ended up with just sprites and nothing more. Use as you wish. (Also note: BIONICLE Fighter won't have a Borderlands-esque gun system. It's crazy enough as it is. :lol:)

gunparts.png

Finally, we got some sprites I did not make myself at all, but which serve as a teaser for some upcoming mechanics I will discuss.

yep.png

And that's it for now. Katuko out.

Edited by Katuko

If you're adding matoran riding Rahi, perhaps that could be used to make Matoran a playable race without them being really unbalanced?

If you're adding matoran riding Rahi, perhaps that could be used to make Matoran a playable race without them being really unbalanced?

I figured that if I am to make a proper setup for using Exo-Toa, it would be trivial to adapt it to piloting other things. So yes, one of the abilities Matoran may select would be to gain a Rahi that spawns with them. I have it mostly planned out, and I will place it in a blog post shortly. :)

I think the Rahi Tamers might be way more powerful than the other two. Also, if you ever make a Mahri Nui map, a water-based rahi mount would be great.