Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

Hey, Katuko couple of quick questions, is it true that you are going to add some new species someday? I saw some Vortixx sprites a few pages back. I also wanted to know if you had any intention of adding a skakdi species to the game, because that sounds like something you discussed in this topic? I'm not complaining about a lack of player option, because Toa and Rahkshi works great right now, but I just wanted to know.

Yes, that is true. I have the basic Vortixx poses down, and with the new way of doing sprites in-game it will be easier to add new character looks. Vortixx will be added as a very basic species once I get around to it, and they will likely equip pieces of tech or gain stat boosts instead of direct powers like what Toa and Rahkshi have.

Skakdi will be big and burly, with a good health pool and somewhat lessened speed and elemental ability. Unlike in canon I will not require two Skakdi to cooperate in order to use their powers; I will just make the Elemental Power less effective for a Skakdi (or not, if it balances out anyways). They will have more options when it comes to mixing powers: One could have a somewhat weaker version of Rock Throw as a primary and a more custom stasis-field power as a secondary, for example, with X-Ray Vision as vision power (Kanohi-equivalent). Coupled with a gun-type weapon to channel your power through, you would then be playing as Avak.

The restrictions would be that you could only choose 1 ability from each category: one elemental (ripped from Toa, mostly), one special, and one vision power. I'll detail this as we get closer to actually having them in-game. I have stuff planned, but there's little point in posting it all now.

Is it possible to hold 2 weapons at once?

Not at the moment, no. You will be happy with my plans for the new engine, though, as they involve dual-wielding.

Right, so its a ot more limiting than python.

I was making a comparison to the Blender Game Engine.

It's designed for working with the GameMaker program, so it allows for rapid development with lots of flexibility, but it naturally can't measure up to "pure" programming languages when it comes to versatility for other things. Still, it's good enough for my purposes. :)

EDIT: I've just now updated my crossbow test project with some Vortixx and Skakdi sprites. They work well, so that means they are fit for inclusion in the engine proper. The Skadki's walk animation looks a bit weird if you watch it too closely, but there are very few Skakdi sprites available for use unless I make them myself. The walk cycle I have is only for the three-clawed feet. I have no walk animation at all for the triangular Skakdi feet. I am also missing some Piraka weapons, like Hakann's Lava Launcher. If anyone could produce sprites of these things, they'd be much appreciated.

Oh, and here's the Laser Crossbow animation frames I've made, in case you guys want them for anything.

laser_crossbow_animation.png

Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 1

JAG18, is that the chick from Cryoshell in your sig?

It doesn't really look like Tine Midtgaard to me, but I could be wrong. I haven't really seen much of her.

just to clarify, the update is will not have the new engine, right?

I'm working on redoing the scopeless Akaku Nuva that I made a while back.

Updates will keep using the old engine for now. The new one is still in its preliminary stages, though I am working on testing different coding solutions and sprite setups. Speaking of updates, I look to be pretty much done with the current one (3 new abilities and some bug fixes will have to do, it's been too long already) so it will be released sometime today.

JAG18, is that the chick from Cryoshell in your sig?

It doesn't really look like Tine Midtgaard to me, but I could be wrong. I haven't really seen much of her.

just to clarify, the update is will not have the new engine, right?

I'm working on redoing the scopeless Akaku Nuva that I made a while back.

Updates will keep using the old engine for now. The new one is still in its preliminary stages, though I am working on testing different coding solutions and sprite setups. Speaking of updates, I look to be pretty much done with the current one (3 new abilities and some bug fixes will have to do, it's been too long already) so it will be released sometime today.

That is good to hear. I look forward to trying it out.

bBhcfWO.png

So I tested the currently current version of this game on Linux a week or two ago and the only problem I found was pop=up windows such as the one for choosing colours. I also couldn't change species or element or choose mask, weapon, or stats in the character creator. Besides that it worked fairly well and added an extra level of game play where you try to equip the right supplies before your enemies kill you.

BIONICLE Fighter version 15.0

Windows executable, 65.57 MB, packed in ZIP format.

Download from Dropbox

Download from Mediafire

New in version 15.0:

- Added Toa of Psionics secondary: Psionic Shield. Pushes away players and creatures, and bounces away solid objects such as rockets.

- Added Toa of Plant Life secondary: Entangle. Spruts three vines from the ground which grapples enemies and slows them down.

- Added Toa of Iron secondary: Saw Blade. Throws a spinning buzzsaw that deals extra damage to weapons and armor. Returns to the thrower like a boomerang.

- Added new style variations for Felnas (no spikes), Jutlin (pilot version), Kaukau (Faxon), Avohkii (drained version), Krahkaan (flipped), Miru (Lewa Phantoka).

Bug fixes and engine tweaks:

- Miru should no longer turn on and drain energy underwater.

- Added a button on the main menu which applies a Windows 8 hotfix. Removes Lightning Balls and multiple Exo-Pyro fireballs.

- Updated menu listings for Toa. (Also reacts to the Windows 8 fix button).

- Touched up the latest menu buttons so they have a proper color blend.

Probably gonna need some screenshots of the new abilities. Getting to that later.

Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 2

OH MAH GAWD I'm freaking out with the new version. OH! another thing I say you should separate faxonn and kaukau(here's the in-game power I made up: gives you a third power wich is the primary power of the nearest character) also I think the faxon model should be a bit smaller

Edited by Toa Aeron

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

OH MAH GAWD I'm freaking out with the new version. OH! another thing I say you should separate faxonn and kaukau(here's the in-game power I made up: gives you a third power wich is the primary power of the nearest character) also I think the faxon model should be a bit smaller

The Faxon lets you copy Rahi abilities, not 'powers', as it were.

However, your idea might be possible for the Mask of Emulation.

I used the only Faxon sprite I had available. If anyone wants to make changes, you are free to do so. It's not a priority for me, though, since I don't even have an in-game power planned for it. The mask copies Rahi abilities, of which there are very few in my game. I could make it set itself to use Flight when copying Nui-Rama, Strength for other Rahi, and so on, but making it work in practice is iffy right now. The Mask of Emulation - if we had a visual on it - would copy the ability to use whatever attack you are hit by with the mask active, but without a confirmed appearance I might just give that power to the Faxon instead. "Close enough", as they say.

The Faxon lets you copy Rahi abilities, not 'powers', as it were.

However, your idea might be possible for the Mask of Emulation.

I used the only Faxon sprite I had available. If anyone wants to make changes, you are free to do so. It's not a priority for me, though, since I don't even have an in-game power planned for it. The mask copies Rahi abilities, of which there are very few in my game. I could make it set itself to use Flight when copying Nui-Rama, Strength for other Rahi, and so on, but making it work in practice is iffy right now. The Mask of Emulation - if we had a visual on it - would copy the ability to use whatever attack you are hit by with the mask active, but without a confirmed appearance I might just give that power to the Faxon instead. "Close enough", as they say.

I have no idea what comic this is, certainly not one I read (meaning I missed out on stuff I didn't even know exsisted >.< ) But here is the best canon picture from the Kanohi of Emulation:

Matoran_Mask_of_Emulation.png

Source: BioSector 01

In the name description it say "Matoran Mask of Emulation" so I'm not sure if the Great Kanohi will look the same as the Dead Kanohi...

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

That is from that mini-comic that was made in between the '06 and '07 comics.

So update, all three of the new powers are interesting and I'm sure they'll come handy when your in those brutal Mangani battles. I think the new Psisonic's one is the best of these update.

Edit: that image is from Comic: 6 Web Comic.

Edited by JAG18

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

That is from that mini-comic that was made in between the '06 and '07 comics.

So update, all three of the new powers are interesting and I'm sure they'll come handy when your in those brutal Mangani battles. I think the new Psisonic's one is the best of these update.

Edit: that image is from Comic: 6 Web Comic.

Oh right! Yeah! Now I remember!

That refers to when Takanuva had his light partially drained. His titan 2008 version was wearing the 'drained' Avoohki. (Avohkii)

well thank you kind sir ;)

• Upvote 1

But here is the best canon picture from the Kanohi of Emulation

It looks like a Jutlin with a slightly different forehead. I might try sticking together pieces of other sprites and see what pops out.

I would've loved to help... but the way I make sprites... wouldn't exactly be helpful at all...

For all you budding game programmers. GameMaker Studio Standard edition is now FREE for anyone who downloads it before March 2nd. All you need to do is to download the regular trial edition, then register yourself via a provided form that pops up inside the program. You will then receive a license key to permanently unlock the full Standard version of the program, with which you can make games for Windows, Windows 8, Tizen and Mac (though that requires a Mac to hook up and export to). The program itself runs on Windows.

This is a great offer (obviously done to sell Pro licenses, but whatever) and I recommend that anyone interested in game development takes advantage of it. This forum needs more games. ;)

Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 2

Anyways, back on topic, I have been playing this and I have one problem. The water secondary is kinda op considering it can be used on many people.

Right, I was gonna fix that. Jotting that down on the "to-do" list. It is kinda overpowered.

If I didn't suck at coding, I'd jump on that deal in a heartbeat.

The program includes a "drag-n-drop" icon method of making games too, and this was the first real coding I learned myself. It may take a while to learn, but since it's a free offer you haven't really got anything to lose by trying it out if you're interested in making games. Just uninstall if you don't like it, after all. :)

Hey Katuko i found a bug in the game when activating the Great Mahiki (and i assume the noble) You become an exo toa but due to the Exo Toa not having a mask i can no longer swap back into toa form also is there a way to earn points?

Edited by Tahukan The TaVo-Matoran

:voyanui:

Hey Katuko i found a bug in the game when activating the Great Mahiki (and i assume the noble) You become an exo toa but due to the Exo Toa not having a mask i can no longer swap back into toa form

It's more of a "hidden feature". ;) In my game, the Mahiki will be used for visual illusions only, while the Rahkshi of Shapeshifting will get the actual ability to change form. However, while testing code for making form-shifting possible, I placed the test code as the Mahiki's power. So right now, please note that the shapeshifting power is far from finished, and that it therefore has a lot of missing features... such as the ability to change back. :)

The appearance of masks does not affect their power, by the way. Whether the sprite is Great or Noble or Nuva, the mask will work exactly the same.

also is there a way to earn points?

No. The points are there to allow you to customize your character's abilities, but for the sake of game balance I want every character to have the same amount of points to spend. Thus you will not be able to gain points except as item boosts (such as the +2 ELM granted by the Power Sword) or potential server settings allowing more points in character creation once the game goes into multiplayer. Due to its nature as a fighting game of sorts, my project will not allow "stat grinding" or similar elements that I think would negatively impact the balance amongst player. You essentially start at "max level", to put it that way.

I also detest buying a multiplayer game like Smash Bros. to play with my friends, then we have to grind battles for 5 hours until we can finally test one of the new characters, so there won't be any unlocks either. :P

Edited by Katuko

It still crashes, just with less frequency.

Really? Hm... I'll have to try some more than, I can't get it to do that.

Most likely I have "fixed" the primary issues that me and a few of you have been having by removing their source: A few of the secondary attacks. If you are still crashing, though, please try to take note of when the crash occurs, and check the very bottom of the error log that may have appeared in the game folder. "Unknown variable" errors are commonplace, but anything else would be nice to know about.

The more info I have about crashes etc., the more I can do to avoid them. :)

Nice. I already made a Tryna without a tube myself, but I did not have a scopeless Akaku or an alternate noble Kiril, so thanks for those. :)

(I did all I could to sound like a noob :lol-sign: )

At the risk of sounding mean and blunt: Please don't.

It was supposed to be a reply to Jacoblazer's new masks but I failed, couldn't fix it and sounded like a kolhii head sooooooo yeah :(

Edited by Toa Aeron

It was supposed to be a reply to Jacoblazer's new masks but I failed

The base statement of "they look cool" would be enough, you know. ;)

But speaking of masks and cool stuff, I was wondering if anyone needs mask sprites without the head attached? I have removed the head from most of the Kanohi I have sprites for, having been unable to find any such sprite sheet on the web. I'll post it here a bit later.

It was supposed to be a reply to Jacoblazer's new masks but I failed

The base statement of "they look cool" would be enough, you know. ;)

But speaking of masks and cool stuff, I was wondering if anyone needs mask sprites without the head attached? I have removed the head from most of the Kanohi I have sprites for, having been unable to find any such sprite sheet on the web. I'll post it here a bit later.

I saw your characters in the bzprpg profile pages and I was wondering if you could help me post the image of my upcoming characters(I have no idea on posting pictures or creating sprites.)

I saw your characters in the bzprpg profile pages and I was wondering if you could help me post the image of my upcoming characters(I have no idea on posting pictures or creating sprites.)

Using images is already covered by a topic in Q&A, namely the Pictures topic. In particular, the topic explains the use of IMG tags, though it's info is not entirely up to date. I'd prefer to take general site usage help via PM or other topics, so as to not clutter my game topic with irrelevant stuff. I'll send you a PM about this. :)

By the way, I'm working on a more feminine Garai as well as body sprites with Jaller Mahri's armor (I call it "Crab Shell Armor") and Vezon's armor (which I call "Psycho Armor"). I might even make a couple Rahkshi spines. But don't expect to see them anytime soon; i've got a LOT of schoolwork coming up.

Just curious, has anyone else made any new Rahkshi spines?

@ Katuko: do you still have the webbed Rahkshi spine I made, or did you lose that when your computer crashed?

Edited by JacobLazer

20795.jpg