It's for making Takutanuva, the tall forehead face was supposed to be the combined Avohkii and Kraahkan. If you look closely, the bottom part of the long head looks almost exactly like the Avohkii.

I think a big reason was so that other figures could conceivably wear the mask without having to change the head configuration. After all, back in 2003 the interchangeability and collectability of masks was still a big deal. So when the designers realized that the best way to make Makuta's mask was to turn the head around, they made sure the mask would still work as a mask if aligned normally.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It's for making Takutanuva, the tall forehead face was supposed to be the combined Avohkii and Kraahkan. If you look closely, the bottom part of the long head looks almost exactly like the Avohkii.
This, it has the rows of three holes on each 'cheek' and the fang-shapes in its 'mouth' area. I would have preferred the movie version to be that way as well rather than the splitface thing they did.

It was kinda like a gimmick. I believe the "taller" mask shape was intended to be used for the Ultimate Dume creation, and the "shorter" one for the Teridax set...just for aesthetic effect. Neither of which looked like the movie version of the Kraahkan, which I thought was the best one. :P

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I agree with what Click said about it looking somewhat like a combination of the Avohkii and Kraahkan (the long face part) to be used in the Takutanuva set. If you look at the "movie edition" version of the Kraahkan released in the 2003 promotional Takutanuva set though, the long face does bear a resemblence to the movie version of Teridax. The length of the head doesn't match up so much, but the sharper angles and eye holes look more similar to the movie version of Teridax than the original set version of his Kraahkan did.- :t::l::h:

This, it has the rows of three holes on each 'cheek' and the fang-shapes in its 'mouth' area. I would have preferred the movie version to be that way as well rather than the splitface thing they did.
Oh. I was wrong. No, Nuparu. Ultimate Dume came out later. And with its own Kraahkan to boot. Yeah, this makes sense. And it's a true fusion, rather than a splitface. You're completely right, Kumata.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

what about the movie version? It looks nothing like the avhokki (is that how it's spelled?)on the long side.

• 3 weeks later...
:kaukau: I always thought it gave him an Evil Emperor/Overlord look, like Sauron or something. I recall that the long, crowned version was used in a 2003 animation after the defeat of the Bohrok Kal, so I always assumed that was the canon version. Maybe I'm biased because it was the first time I saw it, and it looked really cool at the time, but I really did think of Sauron over in Mordor wearing that demonic spiky hemet of his.Merida

• 2 weeks later...
I think a big reason was so that other figures could conceivably wear the mask without having to change the head configuration. After all, back in 2003 the interchangeability and collectability of masks was still a big deal. So when the designers realized that the best way to make Makuta's mask was to turn the head around, they made sure the mask would still work as a mask if aligned normally.
I mostly think this was the main reason, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was to emphasize Makuta's nature as a shapeshifter. After all, that had been a principal character trait of his before 2003, to the point that he didn't get a set until then. So it's understandable that the designers would want to work that aspect of his character into the set design.The "Toa" configuration always struck me as very... well, Toa-like, while the other configuration struck me as more Rahkshi-like. It impressed me in 2008 that among the new Makuta we met, most of the Phantoka Makuta wore their masks in the "Toa configuration" while the Mistika Makuta had their masks attach to the top of the head like the "Rahkshi configuration". It's a shame the Mistika Makuta masks weren't designed to attach to 2001 head pieces, though. Most of them seemed about the right size, perhaps excluding Krika's, and it would have been a nice treat from the designers (just as how, for whatever reason, the 2008 Kanohi Avohkii could attach flawlessly to a 2001-2003 Matoran head, something even the original Avohkii couldn't do).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree it would look like the mask of light and shadow, but in the instruction booklet showing the Takutanuva combiner, it shows the mask in the serpentine position. If it was the mask of light and shadow, then wouldn't they show it in that position? I guess I can see how it shows Teridax is a shapeshifter, but I'm not sure. One more question to add: If the mask can shapeshift with him, couldn't it it also transform into a gas along with the rest of his andidermis when he went into the Pit?

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif