Twice The Work

Brain Attack

I know Bionicle has already ended...... but many, even GregF, wants to continue its legacy. He even wrote story serials on bioniclestory.com to continue it... but I noticed he did twice the work. This is the situation here, GregF continues the story of Bionicle but he also needs to write the Hero Factory storyline. He does twice the work to continue the story. If he wishes to continue both an continue his hard work, Mata Nui bless him. But I am here to ask the opinion of BZPower members, if you were GregF, which storyline would you focus on more?

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

Hero Factory, because he's the best writer that theme has got. Ninjago, too, ideally, because most books not by him gave just been adaptations of the TV show, while I prefer his brilliant original storytelling.However, I don't think his work for any one theme today is comparable to his heavy involvement with BIONICLE. I don't mean that as an insult to today's themes, but Greg is not a member of Hero Factory's story team, he just writes the books and comics. He may have more involvement with Ninjago (certainly he writes more stories for that theme overall, which means a bigger workload), but I'm not sure if he's on the story team.Also, let's not forget that BIONICLE has never been Greg Farshtey's only responsibility. He has also written books for many other themes and edited the LEGO Magazine. The only difference now is that he's expected to work on a theme that he's not being paid for or required to work on as a term of his employment.

He should focus on themes he's paid for, of course.

Hey, I love Bionicle, but the man needs to eat more than we need to read stories about elemental robots.

Edited by Toa Alaka

Weaver, Seeker, and Spark

"When the first living thing existed, I was there, waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave."

- Death, The Sandman

(Previously Toa Alaka)

I think that he should focus on BIONICLE because that line has probably the largest fanbase just waiting to gobble up any new story developments.

No, probably not. Many BIONICLE fans moved on even before it ended, and it's multi-year disappearance means it hasn't exactly been acquiring new fans. Currently, of all the themes Greg is writing for, Ninjago probably has the largest number of passionate fans since it is easily-accessible (even people who aren't LEGO fans can experience the TV show without paying a thing, provided they have cable TV), massively popular, and current. But Chima might also become a contender next year.BIONICLE fans may be the most desperate for Greg's writing, though, since they're not going to get new story any other way, but that's no measure of the volume of demand.

He writes for plenty of other themes, like Ninjago. I'd stop working on Bionicle if I were him, because it's not giving him a paycheck or anything else that benefits him.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

It isn't up to him; he has no choice but to spend whatever amount of time is needed on what he's currently being paid to do. And that isn't Bionicle.

And if anyone here says they'd do it differently, sorry but you'd basically get fired. :P Unless you had no life and spent all your free time on Bionicle, I suppose.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think that he should focus on BIONICLE because that line has probably the largest fanbase just waiting to gobble up any new story developments.

No, probably not. Many BIONICLE fans moved on even before it ended, and it's multi-year disappearance means it hasn't exactly been acquiring new fans. Currently, of all the themes Greg is writing for, Ninjago probably has the largest number of passionate fans since it is easily-accessible (even people who aren't LEGO fans can experience the TV show without paying a thing, provided they have cable TV), massively popular, and current. But Chima might also become a contender next year.BIONICLE fans may be the most desperate for Greg's writing, though, since they're not going to get new story any other way, but that's no measure of the volume of demand.

I meant that HERO Factory is mostly loved by little kids, as with Ninjago (I mean for the sets, not for MOCing) who mainly love where their imagination will take them, so I would like to see a bit more story for BIONICLE.

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

I think part of the reason is that Lego told him to write some stuff so that they could keep their trademark (BIONICLE) somewhat active. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but you lose the trademark if you don't use it for a certain time. However, I think he just really liked writing BIONICLE.

(end quote)

I imagine the story was continued to soften the blow of the sets ending; Lego didn't want to alienate the fans.

As for possibly losing the trademark:

DOES MY REGISTRATION EVER EXPIRE?

Yes. Subject to the filing of §8 Declarations and §9 Applications for Renewal, federal trademark registrations issued on or after November 16, 1989, remain in force for 10 years, and may be renewed for 10-year periods. Trademark registrations issued or renewed prior to November 16, 1989 remain in force for 20 years, and may be renewed for 10-year periods.

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/process/maintain/prfaq.jsp

It appears that trademarks expire automatically after ten years, regardless of usage. Bionicle is still listed on Lego.com as one of the company's trademarks, so assuming Bionicle was registered in 2000, it would've been renewed in 2010 or so. Farshtey's writing would be irrelevant to the matter.

Was Farshtey's post-2009 Bionicle story stuff done professionally for Lego, or just as a personal endeavour for the remaining Bionicle fans? Whilst I do admire his efforts, I suspect writing for three separate themes wasn't a realistic plan.

Journey's End was certainly done professionally, since it was written for publication (even if it never got released as a book in the United States). Same goes for the comics for that year. And I almost guarantee that the Mata Nui Saga was also done professionally.The story serials are a lot less clear, because to be honest it's not clear when exactly he would stop being paid for those. Presumably, though, mid-2010 (when the sets were no longer new) or the beginning of 2011 (when sets were presumably no longer being restocked on store shelves) would have been the cutoff point, since after that point additional story would no longer be promoting any current sets.

Well, I don't know. I would say BIONICLE. The people love it. Like me. :D

A lot of people love the newer themes too. Probably more of them than the people who would be interested in more Bionicle writing. Personally, I stopped following the serials shortly after the theme ended. Without the direction of the sets and the rest of the story team, the continuing story felt aimless and meandering. But I've gobbled up Greg's work with Ninjago and Hero Factory. In those, he's unburdened by the years worth of restrictive rules and heavy backstory that I believe started to hold Bionicle back as the years went on. And since those have other media in the form of TV shows to pull the story forward, Greg's books cover new or more in-depth stories which can focus on characters or stories glossed over by these media, which I find similar to what I consider some of his best work for Bionicle like "Time Trap", "Dark Destiny", or "Legacy of Evil". I would rather continue to follow these new stories than see him beating a dead horse by continuing a story which has already been concluded. And the many new fans of these themes, many of whom didn't even experience Bionicle, would probably like the same thing.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

He needs to focus on whatever he's being paid to do.

Simple as that.

I don't think it is. Why did he continue to write Bionicle story after the line ended? Was he still paid for that?

If he doesn't focus on what he's paid to do, he'll lose his job. lol

He can write BIONICLE stories in his spare time ,if he wants.

67685335.jpg             

It appears that trademarks expire automatically after ten years, regardless of usage. Bionicle is still listed on Lego.com as one of the company's trademarks, so assuming Bionicle was registered in 2000, it would've been renewed in 2010 or so. Farshtey's writing would be irrelevant to the matter.

Not so sure it's that clearcut. Assuming that this is even the right place for information on that type of trademark (which I have no clue about), notice this:

Holders (owners) of registered extensions of protection to the U.S.[blah blah blah] who wish to maintain the protection granted their mark [blah] must file an affidavit or declaration of use in commerce or excusable nonuse to avoid cancellation of protection in U.S.

So the question appears to be, what is "use in commerce", and what is "excuseable nonuse"? I'm presuming that no commerce is involved for now, so on to the second:

WHAT IS A DECLARATION OF EXCUSABLE NONUSE?

A §8 Declaration of Excusable Nonuse is a sworn statement, filed by the owner of a registration, that the mark is not in use in commerce due to special circumstances that excuse such nonuse and is not due to any intention to abandon the mark. Section 8 of the Trademark Act, 15 U.S.C. 1058.

What circumstances that has to be are not explained, but a later Q&A refers people to a source for more details, plus a comment that may clear this up:

The Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (TMEP) is available online at the USPTO website. This resource contains an explanation of excusable nonuse and examples of circumstances under which a claim of excusable nonuse has been accepted. See TMEP §1604.11.

In general, nonuse must be temporary, and the owner must clearly demonstrate how the circumstances prevent use of the mark in commerce and what efforts are being made to resume use. Please note that nonuse due to the decreased demand for a product does not by itself constitute "excusable nonuse."

That last sentence especially, and the one before it, may imply that there had to be a case made that Bionicle may return within ten years in order for that renewal to be approved. Although I'm foggy now on the exact timing, and not sure when in 2010 this was -- was there still "commerce" at that time? :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Not so sure it's that clearcut. Assuming that this is even the right place for information on that type of trademark (which I have no clue about), notice this:

Holders (owners) of registered extensions of protection to the U.S.[blah blah blah] who wish to maintain the protection granted their mark [blah] must file an affidavit or declaration of use in commerce or excusable nonuse to avoid cancellation of protection in U.S.

So the question appears to be, what is "use in commerce", and what is "excuseable nonuse"? I'm presuming that no commerce is involved for now, so on to the second:

WHAT IS A DECLARATION OF EXCUSABLE NONUSE?

A §8 Declaration of Excusable Nonuse is a sworn statement, filed by the owner of a registration, that the mark is not in use in commerce due to special circumstances that excuse such nonuse and is not due to any intention to abandon the mark. Section 8 of the Trademark Act, 15 U.S.C. 1058.

What circumstances that has to be are not explained, but a later Q&A refers people to a source for more details, plus a comment that may clear this up:

The Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (TMEP) is available online at the USPTO website. This resource contains an explanation of excusable nonuse and examples of circumstances under which a claim of excusable nonuse has been accepted. See TMEP §1604.11.

In general, nonuse must be temporary, and the owner must clearly demonstrate how the circumstances prevent use of the mark in commerce and what efforts are being made to resume use. Please note that nonuse due to the decreased demand for a product does not by itself constitute "excusable nonuse."

That last sentence especially, and the one before it, may imply that there had to be a case made that Bionicle may return within ten years in order for that renewal to be approved. Although I'm foggy now on the exact timing, and not sure when in 2010 this was -- was there still "commerce" at that time? :shrugs:

The names would have been "in use in commerce" for as long as TLG was producing and shipping new Stars sets, which presumably means throughout the year of 2010, give or take a bit. Since sets are given multiple production runs, not just produced and shipped in one batch when they are first released, they would have been "in use in commerce" for longer than they were actually new.

With that said, I imagine after TLG stopped re-stocking and selling BIONICLE Stars sets, the names would no longer qualify as "in use in commerce", any more than vintage toys being sold on the aftermarket can maintain their trademarks.

So far score:

Bionicle-1

Hero Factory-6

Bonus:

Chima-4

Ninjago-2

What is that score based on?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

just counted

So far score:

Bionicle-1

Hero Factory-6

Bonus:

Chima-4

Ninjago-2

So far score:

Bionicle-1

Hero Factory-6

Bonus:

Chima-4

Ninjago-2

just randomly and i counted what was possibly on an edge

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Takua the Chronicler7

I would have to say Hero Factory, Ninjago, Chima, etc due to the fact that they are the sets that are around now. However, I would want to know what would happen in The Powers That Be and The Yesterday Quest.

It isn't too hard to work on 2 series'... I mean the person that wrote both the light novel series of Sword Art Online and Accel World wrote those series almost the same time, the only problem that might hit him is writer's block which is what all authors dread. I say it is up to what the writer is willing to do and also what he is being paid to do.

Lehvorak

<< LEHVORAK ZONE >>

Web Design - Graphic Design - Illustration

Find out more on:

_

DeviantART_logo.png

• 4 weeks later...
I also think he should work on Bionicle in his spare time without pay. Yeah, some of you might object to it but think. Lots of people on BZP have jobs, but still write epics, short stories, and comedies for free.
>implying that because some people can write in their free time for fun, other people also ought to write in their free time whether or not they enjoy itEven if Greg's not being paid to write for BIONICLE, it's still hard work, especially since his work on BIONICLE is important to a lot more people than an average fanfic writer's work. There are a lot of hopes riding on how well he writes future story chapters, and so he can't afford to let his work be any less high-quality than what he does for a living.And generally, it's not all that fun to spend your free time doing what you do for a living. I know that firsthand-- while I've never had a job as an artist, I find it immensely difficult to motivate myself to do any art while I'm taking drawing classes at school, because when I have free time I want to spend it doing something less demanding than what I'm obligated to do for my classes. By the end of a long stretch of drawing the last thing I want to do is draw some more, and the same is probably true of a lot of writers.

I think chima has a lot of potential, but the episodes where painful to watch...

I say ninjago, as that's proven successful, and even if parts of it are painful, the music makes up for it. and even without the music, it wasn't as bad as chima.

so much potential. And I want to like it....

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

I also think he should work on Bionicle in his spare time without pay. Yeah, some of you might object to it but think. Lots of people on BZP have jobs, but still write epics, short stories, and comedies for free.
>implying that because some people can write in their free time for fun, other people also ought to write in their free time whether or not they enjoy itEven if Greg's not being paid to write for BIONICLE, it's still hard work, especially since his work on BIONICLE is important to a lot more people than an average fanfic writer's work. There are a lot of hopes riding on how well he writes future story chapters, and so he can't afford to let his work be any less high-quality than what he does for a living.And generally, it's not all that fun to spend your free time doing what you do for a living. I know that firsthand-- while I've never had a job as an artist, I find it immensely difficult to motivate myself to do any art while I'm taking drawing classes at school, because when I have free time I want to spend it doing something less demanding than what I'm obligated to do for my classes. By the end of a long stretch of drawing the last thing I want to do is draw some more, and the same is probably true of a lot of writers.

Very true. Also, whilst the other lines have other people producing other story material for them, Farshtey's writing is currently (and perhaps always will be) the only new Bionicle content, so the pressure on him to deliver is perhaps greater than it is with the other lines.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Greg's devotion is extravagent, but don't get me wrong, I don't think any of us want him to be fired from the Lego Group. Quite frankly, his other works are just as good as the BIONICLE storyline, just being of a different genre. I think he needs to focus on what he makes a living off of and let it be his decision if he continues.

• 5 weeks later...

While there is a lot of demand for Greg to continue the Bionicle story, in order to keep his job, he will have write the stories for themes that are currently in play and not discontinued. If i were him right now, i would focus on Chima, as it is very new and can be another good start to a long term theme.

Why would anyone do something on the side that they don't have time for and aren't getting paid to do? I'd focus equally on the themes I'm getting paid to write for and, should the opportunity arise, write for BIONICLE again.

Also, BZP hasn't been a receptive fanbase over the years. Remember the outrage over Makuta's name? The debacle over the Av-Matoran/Bohrok connection? The distaste for the Red Star's purpose? The controversy about the deaths of characters like Botar? I'm not saying that Greg is avoiding writing another serial chapter because of what BZP has done in the past, but potential backlash to whatever plot points he'd write might be a factor.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg