BZPRPG - Po-Wahi

Nuju Metru

IC: Korru (Po-Koro)

"What the karz is going on here?" Korru yelled as he came running into the marketplace from an alley connected to a nearby road he'd been patrolling.

"Oh, great, not you again" Korru grumbled when he saw that the source of the "Dorya" cry from earlier was the De-Toa named Exa.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

OOC: Big character development post up ahead. I recommend listening to Listening With A Million Ears while you read.

IC: Aerus (Legacy Cave, Po-Wahi)

People are arriving at last. Wonderful. And, of course, they're all examining the rest of us to find our weaknesses because we're all self-interested like that.

I don't need to. I know I'm safe. Someone injures me and Echelon's out of a servant; it's useful to have someone who isn't an empty shell, and finding one as co-operative as me would be difficult. I imagine he'd be a tad miffed if someone killed me. Luckily, he'd get over it soon enough. Just as I would if he died.

I move away from the forming group, finding a quiet place to bring my thoughts together, calm myself. Echelon's words as we entered the cave still linger in my mind, haunting me. Is it true? Could I have spent so long in Echelon's company that I've become like him, cold, heartless, a manipulative monster?

No. It can't be. I'm still me.

Unless you're me.

You don't exist. I created you. A new identity for a new name. The world thought I was a monster, so I gave it what it wanted.

But that's not entirely true. You're not certain. I'm meant to be an entirely separate identity, you unburdened by morality. And yet... I'm not. Because sometimes you have thoughts, and you don't know which of us thought them. It's because we're the same, Elax. You are me.

I'm not evil.

Oh, you are.

I have feelings. Morality. I've loved.

Who, Jalna? You killed her, Elax.

No, no I didn't, it was an accident--

Are you really still telling yourself that?

It's the truth.

Don't you remember? You waited for her, Elax. You sent her the note and you waited. She betrayed you and for that she had to suffer.

No. That's not what happened.

You were never going to kill yourself. Only her.

She argued and I lashed out, I sent her over--

You pushed her, Elax. You tricked her into coming close and then you pushed her.

No... I didn't...

And yet... it fits, somehow. My mind flashes back to that day, the anger, the pain, and my one desire: to make her pay for her betrayal. I had been faithful all that time, and there she was, prancing around with some other guy. That wasn't fair. I see myself writing the note, leaving it in her inn. I see each step taken to fulfill the plan.

Of course, there was a little doubt -- I see myself walking towards the edge of the cliff, preparing to take that last step, knowing that she wouldn't come, she didn't care. But fate was in my favour; that's when she arrived, to negotiate, talk me out of killing myself. She had no idea that the only person to be killed that day would be her.

But that alone isn't enough to condemn me. Even if I don't see my own goodness, others have.

Myka.

She shoved me out of the way of that bullet. She saved my life. Why would she do that if she didn't see any good in me?

Maybe she didn't.

Maybe, you saw that sniper. Maybe you, realising he was there for you, pulled Myka in front of you. A human shield.

I wouldn't. She was innocent.

What does innocence mean to a killer?Jalna betrayed me, she deserved what she got.

You do recall Tarrhus, right?

So I screwed up. But I wouldn't do that to Myka.

Then why did you?I was going to die. There was no other option.

Is it just me, or does that sound oddly like a confession?

In my mind, I see the Dreamer flicker and disappear in front of The Unfortunate Fikou. My first thought is to heck the rooftops, and there the sniper is -- a Vortixx, hunched over the rifle, pointed at me, prepared to take the shot. Hard to tell if it's male or female; not enough time. I need a way out. I panic, looking around, searching my surroundings for some kind of cover. And there Myka is, standing next to me, unaware of the danger we're facing. Without a moment to spare, I grab her, pulling her so it looks like she's shoving me out of the way. And then the shot, lying on the ground, acting dazed and unaware. The sniper is probably making a run for it right now. I can't let them get away. They just tried to kill me. I get Feongulf, leave Myka behind with Zyron, to die in his arms. Let him learn loss. Maybe he'll deal with it better than I did.

You were already like Echelon, Elax. You just had to realise that. I spent so long trying to hide underneath you, let the goodness shine, escape the consequences of my crimes. But a few months in a straitjacket changed my mind.

You didn't hide. This was me. You've only existed for three months.

I've been around longer than that, Elax. Longer than you.

I don't care what else you said, I know the truth here. I designed you. When I broke out, I knew I needed a new name, a new identity. I realised a new personality mightn't go amiss.

You were the person the world saw me for.

No. You were the person the world could sympathise with.

No one likes a cold-blooded murderer. But accidentally killing your girlfriend? Being framed for the death of an innocent? A poor Matoran, suffering from grief and self-loathing? I couldn't imagine a person who wouldn't feel sorry for you.

You're wrong. I created you.

No, Elax. I think you'll find that I created you.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

IC:
I'm not using hyperbole when I say this might have been the most sand I've ever seen in my life; it was everywhere, stretching out like a coarse, tanned crystalline blanket in every direction. It formed spacious landscapes and held nothing up its sleeve that would block the pulsing heart that was the sun, or the rushing blood flow that was its heat. It wasn't humid but it was arid, enough so that I felt a light bead of sweat snake down one temple. The fever broke at once as I lifted a canteen to my lips and took a quick sip, washing it around my mouth to restore some moisture and then swallowing. Sounds picture perfect, right? Like if we walked far enough, we'd end up at the Temple, and there'd be a regular oasis waiting, right?
Wrong. Because sand isn't like that; sand goes in a giant box, and you have the greatest time of your life digging in your sandbox with a little painted purple shovel, and you dig for hours, because your parents tell you that if you're a good little trooper and work long enough, hard enough, eventually you'll end up on the other side of the world. This may come as a surprise to you, but as smart as I was I had not yet earned my degree in geology by the age of ten, so I believed this blatant lie with all the naievity of a normal pre-adolescent.
Know what happened then?
I carried the bucket of sand inside, and my irritating little hobgoblin of a little brother Malik tripped me, spilling it everywhere. My mom promised that I wouldn't be in trouble if I just swept it up and saved the cleaning people a little bit of work, but guess what? I got yelled at anyway because the cleaning ladies got paid by the hour, and they were apparently getting money for nothing. So I got grounded anyway.
Screw sand. I hate sand.
I put the canteen down, holding it in my left hand so that I could still pull out my revolver with my right hand if need be, and scanned the horizon for any sort of ancient, life-affirming temple nestled in the distance.
Still nothing.
Po-Wahi.
Hot as Ta-Koro, forbidding as Ko-Wahi, and filled with enough golden sand to populate a thousand of Ga-Wahi's beaches and still have some left over.
On her travels across the island, Cael had done her best to see the good in each Koro. Having never really travelled before, it had been pretty easy, actually. The wonder and excitement of experiencing new places had helped her to overlook the bad stuff.
Unfortunately, Po-Wahi was rather lacking in positive qualities. It was a desert. Yup, that's about it.
The healer wiped the sweat from her brow, then took a drink from her water-skin. While the rest of the group -populated mostly as it was by Ta-Toa- didn't seem to mind the heat too much, Cael was a Toa of Water, and the desert was the enemy of water. Hot and dry, the sun and the sand licked up any moisture they could see. Cael felt more out of place here than anywhere else on the island.
Glancing over the rest of the group, Cael noticed the other odd Toa out: Dorian, the Toa of Iron. The two of them were the only ones she could see drinking water: evidently, the Toa of Fire and Stannis were too accustomed to heat and/or aridity to feel the need to consume liquids.
Hanging the water-skin back on her belt, the healer slowly moved over to the Toa of Iron.
“Hey,” she said with a smile. “Got enough water?”
"Never enough water in this place. You know the feeling, right?"
Cael filled my canteen again quietly and humbly without me having to ask, and while she was momentarily caught up in the performance of her duty I took a chance to look her over. She was pretty, with soft, kind features, a friendly disposition and large golden eyes, canary-colored mirrors that sucked in the negative energy around her and reflected kindness, a sort of permeating gentility. It was obvious how Joske had grown to be so taken with her; I had to smile back.
"You're Cael," I stated. "Tuara's told me a lot about you."
"Good things, I hope?" she replied goodhumouredly, twisting the stopper back in the crystal vial she carried on a silver chain around her neck.
"Probably better things than she says about me," I whispered conspiratorially with a grin as I turned around to sneak a peek at Tuara; she met my eyes quickly and stuck her tongue out, clearly having some idea of what she was saying. I rolled my eyes at her, winked, and then turned back around.
"...Definitely better things than she says about me," I joked wryly.
Cael smiled, but the joke only served to remind her of an uncomfortable memory: of Tuara storming out of the inn in Ko-Koro, leaving the company and Angelus -her boyfriend- behind. Now here she was, having paired up with one of the most notorious convicts on the island. The healer was curious as to how that had happened, but refrained from saying anything.
“Seeing as we can't trust Tuara then, what things would you say about yourself?”
"Made a lot of bad choices. Made a couple good ones. Working on making a couple more here and there."
"Sounds like most of us."
I smiled wryly again as I looked ahead forward, particularly at Joske; the march was monotonous and plain so there wasn't much else to do but focus on the conversation at large which I didnt mind either. Cael was sharper than I'd given her credit for. I got the feeling you had to be, considering who her boy was.
"It's a bit heavier with me."
"You'd be surprised," the healer replied nonchalantly. "Why don't you try me."
I looked around at Joske, Stannis, and Merror in front of me, then looked back at Tuara and Agni. None of them were paying attention besides Tuara, though she made an effort to look like she really wasn't; her face was as charmingly wan and bored as always as she fell in lockstep with Agni beside her, but I could tell that she was listening to how I would respond to this. Testing me.
"I've killed...a lot of people," I admitted under my breath, biting my lip reluctantly on on the words 'a lot' despite myself. "I let a lot of people tell me to do a lot of things, and it ended badly. For everyone involved."
Cael kept a straight face: this wasn't any surprise to her. There were few on the island who hadn't heard of the exploits of Dorian Shaddix.
“Why are you here, then?” she asked. “Agni and Tuara are both in the Guard, yet they seem okay with you walking free.”
"Agni's not. You can read it in his face; there's tells here and there sometimes. It's necessary, but he doesn't like it. Tuara...well. Like she said. We're together, for better or worse. That's how it works, right?"
That one wasn't hypothetical; Cael caught a distinctly...unsure...tone from the question, almost like I wasn't really sure of the intricacies of a long-term relationship. Which I wasn't.
She nodded once. “You're right. That's how it works.”
For a brief moment, the Toa of Water was caught up in the memory of a time when she had seen the “worse” of “for better or worse.” The “worse” had had a name: Heuani. And he had killed her.
But it had been for Joske, the one she loved, so it had been necessary. At least she and Joske were comparatively healthy people: Dorian and Tuara were ex-criminal and unstable respectively; Cael could easily see them dragging themselves down just to try to keep the other afloat.
She looked up at Tuara, who seemed to be making a determined effort not to look back at her.
“It's because she believes in you. She believes you can turn it around.”
"Shaddix."
"Dorian."
"Dor."
There was the sensation of floating, not in the old, metaphorical sense like you're rising up to a better place than you were at before; it was the feeling of being lifted physically, your body leaving your psyche behind as it bled out on the pavement, into the rubble and the ruckus. There was the sound of running: feet clapping on wet pavement. It hadn't rained in Ta-Koro the night of the battle. Why was the pavement wet?
"Come on, Dor. Don't burn out without me."
I hadn't been in Ta-Koro at that Rahkshi battle; I had been in a jungle, cold and alone and shivering as I bled, wandering the streets half-hallucinating, looking for Tuara. My side had been rent by the staff blow meant for Tuara; my head swam with the dying delusions and final witticisms of a poet who had spent so much time idly speaking he'd forgotten to say anything; the wound in my navel that represented how far I had fallen, it had torn open again in the fighting, and now every step I took contributed to the slow, pained bloodletting of an anchor.
Maybe it was me, being jaded after spending the better part of a year and a half fighting the war on the ground for a group of one percenter atheists, but the belief thing rubbed me the wrong way, especially around Tuara. The first time we'd met, she tortured me. She'd tortured me a little more every time after that until that one day in the prison, when she was picking out my cell personally. It was hardly the most romantic gesture I'd ever been handed in my life, but one second's worth of genuity made it worth it.
"Hey, McHotty. Uh...thanks. For pretending you give a ####."
"I figured it was about time someone did."
She had smiled at me, and it had been sad and sweet and fleeting, had hollowed out my stomach like she'd taken an ice cream scoop to it with her eyes. She'd reached through the bars and held my hand, like I was lost and she was trying to pull me back towards the people again. That's when I think it happened. That one touch had changed it all. Just like the one touch in the forest. With Heuani. Heuani, who had such a fascination with his toys, who had played with me and carressed me and finally threw me against an old oak tree with a sword through my abdomen.
Heuani, who had thrown one particular toy against the tree a little too hard, and ended up paying for it. Dorian Shaddix, who had played a little too rough and nearly ended up the same way.
"She really shouldn't. She was better off before."

The healer was silent for a moment as she digested this information. That one flippant sentence revealed a lot about Dorian Shaddix's character. He was self-deprecating; he obviously didn't believe in himself. That was interesting, because most people in his place in life would mistrust others and only trust themselves. Dorian was the opposite: he seemed willing enough to play along with other people, but refused to let anyone trust him.
He was afraid of letting them down. Probably because he had let himself down so many times. He wanted to form real and lasting relationships (as evidenced by his obvious desire to make things work with Tuara), but his own failures prejudiced him against himself. He readily believed the best in Tuara, but had been carrying -this- around for who knew how long? He was poisoning his relationship by refusing to believe he had anything to offer. By believing that anyone who got close to him was making a mistake.
He knew himself, obviously. He knew his past was ugly. But he wasn't allowing himself the chance to change.
“Why's that?” Cael asked gently. “You obviously love her.”
"I knew a guy, once. He was yay tall. About mine and Joske's height. Everything about him was black, this seamless, perfect black. Except those eyes. They were rich, this pure gold, and they promised you everything if you even caught the corner of one of them. And then those promises held you still until he'd gotten tired of promising you things, and then he just cast you away. Hard. Hard enough that no one before me had ever survived the throw. But I did. Barely. And I let everyone believe I walked away.
"The truth is I didn't. I got carried away, as lame as that sounds. I didn't have it in me to walk anymore. I haven't had it in me to walk the same way since. Not when I'm still in that jungle every waking moment. And...I've left something back there. I can just...feel it, you know? Like something was dislodged when I got thrown away. Like my..."
My innocence? Not much to lose. My pride? That grew back quick.
My persona. That was it.
Dorian Shaddix, the sellsword with a thousand suitors. The Dapper Duelist. Gone. Vanished into smoke with the Toa who had taken him.
"Like after it was all over, I wasn't the same person I was before. Like even though the piece of me was gone, everything else wasn't: the scene, the memory, the man. They're still there, eating at me. And until I can get them to stop, I'm not strong enough. Not...good enough. Not to fix both of us. Not this time."
Eyes, golden as the setting sun, like liquid amber that pulled you in with false promises and sucked you down into fathomless depths. Jet-black armour, smooth as satin and unrelenting as steel.
Heuani.
So Dorian had known him too. And survived, which was better than anyone else could say.
The Toa of Water took a deep breath. “Dorian. Look at me.”
The Fe-Toa obliged.
“I met him too.”
"Then you know what I mean--"
Tuara turned around and looked at me dead in the eye again; from her casual face it was clear that she'd finally tuned out, unable to keep up with the gentle murmurs our voices had transitioned to. Her face was clear for once, unfettered with the wrinkles of thought or the shadows of sleepless night; her eyes were wide and scarlet, gorgeous lava pools that matched the perfect snowy grin on her face. It was the look of purpose, again, and for the first time in almost two years I realized that it was her default look. The look had disappeared from the memory banks of her face because she had spent so long derived of a meaning, torn from the present and left to juggle the past until its serrated blades wounded her too deeply and she shrank into herself, scared to be cut again.
I knew the feeling.
Even for the Dapper Duelist, there was no use in attempting to put a bullet in the head of a ghost. Heuani was dead; the persona was gone, a stain, a homogenous mixture of blood and bile on the shattered remnants of a once-proud tree, deep underneath the frothing, bipolar bays of Le-Wahi. The violence and the pain and the anger was still there, but the persona was gone. Joske had asked, earlier, why clothes? These were my armor, now; they reminded me that I had quirks and I had faults and I had weird habits just like any other person, and that the more energy and desperation and stone you waste on trying to chisel yourself the perfect doppelganger, the faster it will erode, and the carver will be left with nothing in his hands but groups of pebbles and the sense of tingling disgust after the loss of a hard-fought venture.
One such carver waved at me, and I realized I had been transfixed by the crimson folds of her stare; here in the desert, where an hour before it had seemed all things came to die, Tuara Drigton had leapt to sudden, beautiful life like she was composed of movie frames. With a low exhale I grinned back at her and winked, waving my hand casually as if trying to swat a mosquito. The stare held for a second, and once again the violescent swirls tangoed and whirled in each other's arms between our eyes, deeply inked tattoos in the thin desert air. Then they disappeared again; she blew a kiss and turned around.
"She's more than I deserve," I finally admitted. "I just can't lose her after working this hard, that's all."
Cael smiled and filled my canteen up a little more, allowing me to take a sip and slowly return to the primal heat of the gregarious sandbox around us.
"I know what you mean," she replied.
Meanwhile, around us, the ghosts grew weary of waiting for another bullet to come their way and shrunk back into the skies. They swirled and danced angrily, stomped their feet, slowly fell into the backdrop, until at last they were naught but shades, relegated to fade away in the callous glare of the sun above.
-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC (Echelon)

Echelon simply gave Kyju a measured nod as the Akrainid made his theatrical little address. The Dark Toa was not impressed by his demeanour, nor was he intimidated by his appearance. But Kyju was useful, so he was there.

And of course, Novan arrived in all his eccentricity. The doctor was another old contact, one he'd used to obtain the body of Skyra Daring; but from Novan's words, it seemed as though Merror had interfered. Still, the body had been acquired, and that was all Echelon was concerned with.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Novan," he said, his tone even and not giving any hint as to whether he meant his words or not. "But I'm pleased to see you were able to join our gathering."

The Dark Toa looked around at the beings present, tapping a finger idly against his staff. Only a couple more had yet to arrive.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC-Beosach:

"Yes, in fact, I am," the weaponsmith rather happily said. "You've seen how things are here in Po with a lot of us: If we don't go on a trading caravan, we don't sell anything. The only reason I'm anywhere different is because my wares are metallic in nature, not stone. And half the time, we can't go on the trading caravans." He leaned forwards, a slight tone of excitement slipping into his words as he whispered conspiratorially to Komae.

"Now, with what I'm suggesting, you could get a lot of the experiences every good Matoran needs to have, you could sell some things and get some money, I can visit some places I'm starting to miss, and we both get rid of the boredom we've been left to experience in this Mata-Nui-Forsaken 'Lost Koro.'"

Beosach pointed his thumb behind himself, again, in the direction of the gates of the city. He'd heard one group leaving, and there was no doubt that Komae would have as well. Then, Komae glanced down at his scar again. Beosach's hand shot out, grabbing the artisan's wrist, and holding it up.

"See this? This is evidence of a mistake, an accident. You know what happens when you have those? You learn from them and make sure they don't happen again. So, all important things considered besides the finding of a few good Rahi to ride out on, what d'you say?"

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

IC:

A single being stood upon the monolithic stone wall that surrounded the Koro of sand and rock, his back to the two burning orbs of fire hanging in the sky above. A black overcoat covered his form, protecting him from sand and dust that blew through the parched air. Hidden under an equally dark fedora lay two shadowy eyes, which looked out over the vast expanse of sand beyond with nothing more than casual interest. In his hand was a piece of parchment, slightly crumpled, decorated with script from a precise, disciplined hand. It was a letter. Half-finished. Left out to be forgotten, but never actually leaving memory. Addressed to one that shouldn't be contacted.

It had been read over more times than one could count, it's contents altered and adjusted continually, never set to rest. There are so much to be said, yet the point was so small.

Dehkaz let out a breath into the dry sky around him, his hand slowly uncurling from a tightly held fist. Sometime, he'd have to do it. Sooner or later.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Ic: Brykon watched with blank eyes as Jin finished her reading and then prepared to head out. “I'll see you in Le, then. Good luck,” she said. Brykon merely nodded groggily and tracked her as she slipped out of the hut. Once she left, however, he stood up and surveyed his collection of documents.

Scrolls and tablets detailing everything he needed were right there before him. Maps of the island, carefully made by the master drafting fingers of the island's best architect, were lumped with the parchments with tactics and dossiers of locales and persons of interest. Sensitive material, to be sure. He eyed it all suspiciously and considered its collective worth and the ramifications of its existence. Dark material based on a centuries-old plot to reduce everything to chaos.

He debated it all in stoic silence. The flicker of the lamp's flame casting a eerie wobbling light on his dark body that highlighted his golden accents and reflected bars of light around the interior. It was a godlike scene with Brykon as an epicenter of light in the midst of a pool of iniquity. Oh the irony, he thought, that he of all people would live a life of terror in the name of something good. Ambages was a great actor, but even he would have to give respect for the ploy Brykon gave, the ultimate farce, a grandiose display of method acting.

Nothing remained buried forever, he knew. The desert was an unforgiving place and only remained as merciful as long as the dunes did not shift, and everything was only right below the surface even then. Times had changed over the years, however. This village he called home base was not the haven it was claimed to be, and the secrets it stashed were running low on worth. The final act was starting and those documents were no longer as important as the big secret. The colonel was a paranoid man, however, and in a fit of spit at what those papers meant he kicked them into the pit be dig them and cast down a jar of oil into them before throwing his lamp into the pile and setting them all alight with righteous fire. They flared in orange flame as they were consumed, dried parchments catching light instantly while ceramic tablets were scorched and marred beyond repair. The great but little inferno was not like the sands of the desert. The flames kept no secrets, only did away with them.

He knew everything those papers said, there was no reason to retain them in this vault. Finally free of the burden of their safety he sighed and collapsed to the floor and basked int the precious light that emanated from the hole in the floor before he tossed his cigar stub into the flame and prepared to leave, too. Reaching over and grabbing his satchel he slid it over his head and perused its contents to ensure readiness before he arose and exited the hut into the desert night air, cool and dark. He would make his escape to prepare for the tasks he had to complete.

Ooc: Brykon to Ta-Wahi.

A figure. Hooded and cloaked in rags and chains, his armour rusted from months of isolation in the sand. The wasteland was both his grave and his home, his heaven and his . He was paying for his crimes and he savoured every moment. The pain felt good to him. IT was like a blessing, a promise, a gift. As if there was something left to cling to, something left of his master. A foul voice on the breeze. An echo in his mind. Deep down, in his heart, he knew it was his imagination. His mind had deteriorated as much as his body, shriveled into a broken husk of the grandeur it once held.

In all this time, his only company had been the insects, the vermin, the dispossessed; they all came to him. They were monsters, like he was, and they bowed before him as he sprinkled their morsels and crumbs, which they took gratefully. Just in the same way as the morsels he had been given once, and taken gratefully and relished each bite like it was his world - and it was, in many ways, or at least part of it. Now, his world had gone, and he had descended to be the master of his own little kingdom of dust.

The wound still hurt. It burned like the sun, with each passing minute eating away at his soul like the creatures he called his subjects. It was like an empty hole, like part of his very self had been scooped out with nothing to take its place. His entire purpose had been removed in one fell swoop and it still hurt to this day.

In his stomach a different, physical wound remained. A scar, an eternal reminder of the price he paid for true justice. The world felt wrong, so wrong, and there was nothing left in his to change it.

Kuhrin had nothing left.

IC: Stendhal

Dive-rolling, then sliding, Stendhal evaded both attacks from his opponent, slipping through gaps most would consider him unable to fit through. Alas, he managed it, and now found himself behind the Toa of stone, quickly pacing across the sand to a naturally-formed rock spire nearby, which stretched up into the air, a finger pointing to the vast canopy of azure which lay above.

Rynekk had already caught up with him, and so he looked up, and, using his mask for a final time, rocketed up into the air, dashing from point to point on the tower, until he came to the top, where he gave Rynekk a glance and an exaggerated salute. From here, his foe was a dim blob in the sand, a tiny spec in the vast plane of mortality.

With a small chuckled, and the knowledge that he could be plainly seen by the other Toa, he looked straight down, at the top of the rock spire, and vanished.

Except, that was impossible. Teleporting into solid rock was simply impossible. Except when there was no solid rock at all. Like now, for example - in place of solid rock, there was a hole. A tiny hole, barely big enough to fit through, but definitely enough for Stendhal to see into. A hole which bore straight down, through the rock and below the earth, to some kind of underground cave.

Because it wasn't a rock spire. It was a chimney.

OOC: Jam between EW and myself.

IC:Lekua fell into step beside Stannis, a position he was at least somewhat comfortable occupying. For a while, neither said anything. Lekua wasn't even certain he understood his own thoughts - putting them into words was borderline impossible.Eventually he spoke. "You asked about Nichou," he said, glancing over at Stannis. "I haven't seen him in a while. We parted ways a few months back. He was in good health then; I assume he still is.""That is good," Stannis said, though a little concerned nevertheless. "I would love to hear more about his exploits. But what about you? A lot of time has happened since that night on the mountain."Lekua sighed. "I haven't done much. We couldn't find anyone in Onu-Koro who would come with us to do... whatever it was we thought we were going to do. I thought about leaving at that point, going back home. Back to the Force. But I couldn't, for some reason. I convinced myself that I was part of something bigger. Something important. I had nowhere to go, though. So I stayed there. Hunting rahi, selling their masks for a few widgets apiece."Stannis grimaced. That was far from a purposeful life, a distant cry from what he advised his friends to set out to do after he left. "I'm sorry things were left dangling when we were a team," he said. "I wish we could have done more and completed what we set out to do. I want you to know that had my wish been granted the Companions would never had dissolved."Stannis had said something similar before they'd parted ways, but to Lekua they'd seemed nothing more than empty words, an afterthought as the Wanderer cast aside his old team in favor of a new one. Now, though, seeing his friend face-to-face after months of solitude, he understood that Stannis spoke the truth. "Thank you," he said quietly. They fell into silence again."What about... what about Aurax and Lepidran?" he asked eventually. "They're not..."He shook his head slightly. "Even they were not safe from fate. Aurax passed away, slain by Rahkshi. Lepidran is still alive, but it seemed that Takua had it wrong; he was not a chosen one after all. Of the old team I'm all that remains."Lekua bowed his head in a moment of silence for the fallen Cy-Matoran. Of all the Companions, Aurax was the one who always pushed them forward, always encouraged, was always dedicated to their mission. That Aurax, of all people, had died..."Lepidran was not 'chosen,' you say. What does that even mean? Chosen by who?""Mata Nui, as translated by Takua the Chronicler. It was by his list than Lepidran, Aurax and Myself were picked. Several were called but not all were chosen."Mata Nui... It seemed like that name meant less and less with each passing day. Even in the days of Makuta, the sleeping god could not be seen, could not be heard, and yet somehow he still held the power to handpick his champions."So... what happened, exactly, after you left? I heard you found some special Toa Stones, and then just... went in and killed the Big Bad, or...?""It's a long story," Stannis sighed. "We found essence stones that held the powers of the First Toa, then were transformed into the Toa Maru. We fought the specters of the First Toa, entered in the Mangaia and battled the Makuta. And in the end he was not killed, he was banished from existence by this mask," he said and tapped his Hiripaki. "He won't bother us anymore."Lekua nodded. "But you don't think the danger's over, you said earlier. Are you worried about his followers, that they might regroup? Or is it something else?""Something... else. The Hiripaki has great power to delete or call forth things in reality, but at a cost. I banished the Makuta, but anything I move is replaced by something equivalent. I do not know what was brought into being by the Hiripaki to replace the niche of the Makuta, but whatever it is needs to be checked before it can become too grave. I worry about the costs we paid for victory."Lekua was slient. Something equivalent? What could possibly be equivalent to the Makuta? "That sounds... ominous," he said eventually. "But maybe I'll actually have a chance to make an impact this time, a real one.""What if I said you could start by helping me here and now?" Stannis asked. As fate would have it, Lekua and his bird may be the exact thing he needed at that moment. As much as Stannis hated being some kind of oracle who gave missions, this was something key Lekua could be tasked with doing. Just the person he needed."How so?""I need to assemble the other Maru but I'm hardly the most quick of us. I need you to take Cyclone and deliver a message to the others that I am calling for a meeting at the Kini Nui tomorrow night. If you did this for me I would be greatly appreciative.""We can do that, sure," Lekua replied. The less time he stayed in this desert, the better. He gazed out across the wasteland, seeing nothing but sand and the haze of the heat rising off it. "How far away is this temple, anyway?""Not too far. We should be there in an hour."And Lekua?""Yeah?""I'm glad you're doing well."

Q2TtLEz.png

OOC:Jam with TuckyIC: Tuara Drigton - Po-Wahi"You know I never had a chance to formally apologize," Tuara had appeared next to Joske as the group walked across the desert rather suddenly. It had taken a little bit of herself to work up the nerve to actually do so. Vulnerability wasn't her favorite thing in the whole world. Tuara could hear Dor and Cael behind her. Opting to instead focuse on Joske she stopped paying attention, tuning it out entirely. She unlooped one hand from her belt and rubbed the back of her neck with it, giving Joske a nervous glance, "For Ko-Wahi I mean."I gave Tuara a long look sideways - longer than I should have honestly, but it was a bit unexpected. I sighed slightly, finding myself chuckling quietly."Well, if it hadn't been for myself and Angelus going a little too far, that would never have happened. So I do have to take some of the blame for that to be fair. I'm sorry too... Amazon."My eyes closed as the tip of my tongue came out of a goofy face.Tuara shook her head sternly, "No, the way I reacted doesn't even make sense," Tuara held out one hand, looking at it, "Waffles Joske. I walked out on all of you guys because of waffles," Tuara returned her hand to her belt and looked off at the horizon as they walked, "It's almost embarrassing to even think about. It was irrational, and it wasn't fair to any of you."She sighed, biting her lip, the subject was a reminder of Angelus. That wasn't a fun subject, so she suddenly felt in need of changing it to something a little less personal, "So you did see Utu and Echelon at the Kini-Nui then," Tuara turned her head to look at Joske."Yes." I said, meeting her gaze with my own, now serious. "I saw them. I fought them. And in the end I beat them. Sadly, I was unable to finish what I started... " I trailed off, thinking of how despite the apparent win it didn't last, or at least from what I've heard. "The reason I came out of seclusion as I've said is to make peace with some of my last mistakes, no matter how great or dangerous they may seem. I don't why, but doing so is incredibly important."I was silent for a long moment. "It's been a struggle, but ever since the events of Kini-Nui I've been trying to determine what my destiny is, why I survived what I did. All I can say that dealing with my ghost that I either created or left behind is paramount to that destiny. Not to mention the right thing to do. Even if that means dealing with Utu one last time."I gave her a small smile.Tuara started chewing her own lip, looking down at the cracked and dry ground, "I uh-" she stopped chewing, "At first I thought about how terrible an idea that seemed. Going after either of those Toa seemed to me like either a suicide mission, or a pointless one. I still sorta see it that way. Mostly because Utu seems irreversible as a person."She shook her head, "But then I started to think back on everything, and I remembered something that I somehow had forgotten. Dorian was almost as bad as him. They had worked together for a while actually," she glanced behind them, looking at the Toa of Iron with fondness. She smiled brightly at him with a little wave. She jokingly blew a kiss at Dorian before turning back around, "I can't say that I see Utu changing at all, providing you can even stop Echelon from controlling him or whatever that noise is. But I can't say I saw Dor's potential to change either.""And to be honest I'm probably the only one." I admitted, muttering quietly. "And if I'm perfectly honest here, I might be wrong. Perhaps I saw only a fleeting glimpse of what he ONCE was. A shadow, a memory, nothing more. That's probably all it was. But something tells me that I have to at least try and see if it was only a flicker... or if that flicker is something more, something that might prove to be greater."My voice dropped a bit. "Though I gotta say, after the way you just looked at him... are you that into Dorian? I mean last time I checked you and Angelus seemed to have a good thing going."Tuara raised an eyebrow quickly, her voice sort of sharpening, "I'd rather we avoided off-topic rather personal subjects to kick off this journey thank you.""Anyways. I guess I should tell you that I hope you're right, even if I don't think you are. I'll go along with it," she checked her fingerless gloves, tugging on them each, "I know you might not need me around if you've taken down both of those Toa yourself, but I'd like to see it through. Maybe actually contribute to something like this for once in my life instead of messing it up for everybody."Joske made a sort of "backing off" motion with his hands."Joske, I know we didn't always get along, and even now we don't see almost anything eye-to-eye even still," The Toa of fire kept her eyes fixated on the ground ahead, "Me and Dorian were planning on leaving Ta-Koro last night," her voice became rather hushed, "We kept falling into pitfalls we were digging for ourselves. I for one, had been struggling with a growing alcohol addiction that I couldn't seem to kick. Dor- well. We needed a new environment. Ta wasn't new anymore," head moving back and forth weakly, Tuara blinked a couple times, "I had all my stuff ready to go. And then Agni came knocking on my door and told me he was looking for somebody in Po-Koro. What are the chances of that happening just hours before we left."Joske looked up at her."I wasn't really upset about it. I mean, it was good to get out of the village at all. Got my mind off things. I figured we'd finish this last job and Dor and I would be gone for good. But something tells me that isn't the case any more. Running into you changed things. How astronomically odd it was that you just happened to be in Po-Koro when we just happened to be leaving Ta-Koro when we just happened to be stopped by Agni. Whether it's confronting an age old ghost, or figuring out who I'm actually supposed to be; the reason doesn't seem to matter anymore," she looked back at him too, her eyes much softer, a quiet burning candle unlike the usual blazing fire. She was very quiet, and felt a little small. For a moment, all that could be heard was the footsteps until she started again. Tuara swallowed and sort of nodded before turning her attention to Joske, "I think I'm supposed to feel vulnerable now, and I guess not being in control is going to be part of that," The Toa looked down at her feet, eyes shifting from foot to foot as they paced across the broken ground, "I guess what I'm trying to say is, I guess I'm supposed to trust you."And the next thing she knew she felt a hand wrap around her waist.It was mine.I pulled her right next to me even as I held her hand with my spare, our gait matching as we strode across the desert sand. I wasn't looking at her, just staring off into the distance, my mind somewhere else as I gently stroked her with what at best would call "compassionate sibling-hood". I wasn't even being discrete; both Dor and Cael if they were looking our way would be able to see this, this sign of affection, my voice not even dropping an octave."If I may make a confession Tuara... I had a crush on you. At one point in my past life I found you incredible attractive; somewhere between that no-nonsense attitude, amazing physique, and those long-tailed legs... " I took in a breath between smiling teeth, "... yeah, that's the reason I picked on you a lot more than the other Guardsmen back in the day; though I guess the more appropriate term would be Guardswomen. Opposites attract, and you were the near polar opposite to me while still remaining a fellow Ta-Toa. And you know what... a very small part of me still feels that way. It's tiny, hidden in a dark corner of my being, but it's there. It's because you're something I'm not: disciplined."I finally turned to look at her. "For all my abilities, for as well as I could focus, especially on the field, actual discipline is something I lacked... something I desperately needed. Someone or something to lay down the law, put that line in the sand and say 'don't cross or else' - this is why we never saw eye to eye, and in many ways still don't. Well, things happened, life goes on, and here we are. I managed to find it through other means, such as a mentor and now the love of my life, but that doesn't negate past feelings and experiences. Just like all traits it is both your greatest strength and your greatest weakness: you have the ability to stand firm against things, hold stuff together that I never could, tough out circumstances that up until recently I could only dream of. But on the other hand, such a trait leaves you rigid, unimaginative... and too often inflexible and unable to see things from a different perspective. For all my lack of discipline and sensibility I could sense and feel things that most people can't, able to bend and flow with whatever the situation demands. Maybe this is why I saw something in Utu you did not."Why am I telling you this? I dunno. Maybe I need to get it off my chest. Or maybe it's my way of saying 'thank you' for your trust. While not enemies, I can't way we've been the best of friends either, so that statement means a lot; both for me personally and in seeing how much you've changed. Now I'm still not sure what happened between you and Angelus, I don't think at this point I'll ever find out, but I'm beginning to see how you and Dorian can work together... and what each of you brings to the relationship. Not to mention how much he needs someone like you to help keep him in line if not grounded. That's in fact what Cael brings to me."For probably the first time in our little trip I looked directly at Cael. "Perhaps I had a crush on you; perhaps over the years I've had a crush on other women as well. But Cael was the one that gave me purpose. I can say with certainty that if it wasn't for her and her efforts we would not be having this conversation right now. Heuani would not have gotten his thrashing, I would probably be his puppet, and there is every chance I would have helped him kill the Toa Maru; THAT'S how much influence she's had over my life. That's now much I respect her. Not only respect her, but adore her. Tuara... I'm a jealous Toa. Heuani did something to her that is completely and utterly despicable if not altogether reproachable and unforgivable. He got just reward for that. Everything I did, everything I sacrificed, I would do it again without hesitation. Until shown otherwise she is the sole existence of my life and I will jump to her defense in heartlight blink, beating to a pulp any Toa that I feel is overstepping his bounds. That includes doing what I did just now to you."With that I broke away from Tuara, striding over to a slightly blushing Cael. She was a blue statuette against a tan background, a start contrast to the harsh world around her. And in was in this moment that I found myself completely smitten over her once again. I wrapped my arms around her, sliding and shifting up to her body, ever so gently stroking the side of her mask with he scar."Yes, I am a VERY jealous Toa, Tuara... though I think I've earned the right to be so. I think it's safe to say I'll never leave her for another - I'd rather die than betray her trust, THAT'S how much I care about here. By the way, love... did anyone ever tell you you have the most amazing eyes?"I didn't let her respond, instead taking in her a bow before planting a scandalous one on her lips. After a few moments I pulled her back up, and with equal smiled parted. With a distinct bounce in my step I looked back at Tuara.Tuara made eye contact with Dorian while Joske kissed Cael, herself feeling rather awkward. He seemed to be sharing the same look on his own face. Joske coming back up, Tuara quickly snapped back to Joske."Sorry... couldn't help myself. Where were we?"Tuara clapped her hands together, "Alright, I thought we were in the middle of having a conversation about-" she put a hand on her forehead, closing her eyes, "You know what? No. Whatever. What's your plan for if we meet them, just tell me your plan Nimil."No this is good, this is great. I love feeling uncomfortable about things."Plan? Really Tuara, when have I EVER had a plan? We don't know where they are, their current power level or condition, health, let alone any other followers at this point. This is one of those shoot-from-the-hip and cross each each bridge as it comes. We know nothing, so even if I DID make plans they would be useless until we get more information. But I guess Plan A if find them and see if I can convince Utu to do what he did last time, except a little more permanent. Plan B is take out Echelon and THEN ask Utu to do it again without his boss breathing down his neck. Plan C... I hope we don't go to Plan C."Tuara crossed her arms, scowling a little, "Why, what's plan C."I was extremely quiet for a moment, my turn to be uncomfortable. "The one thing as a Toa I'm sworn NOT to do unless there is absolutely no alternative."I refused to say it, but my words spoke for themselves as to what the final option was. As much I wished and believed I also understood the consequences of letting someone like him go unchecked.Tuara nodded curtly as they walked, "You understand that Echelon might take up plan C himself if Utu's as important a weapon to him as I'm guessing," Joske seemed to nod with his eyes, "When we encountered Echelon at the Mark Bearer temple, he seemed a little more than elated at the prospects of his plans. His obsession with those beings before the temple seemed rather ridiculous. You still haven't explained what happened. Also, what did you convince Utu to do last time? And more importantly, how?"What did I do? That was it. I did... I did..."Nothing."I let her blink at me a few times in surprise. "Well at first we fought, and then after I managed to take Utu out of the equation I tackled Echelon... and that's when I saw it. In his eyes. The hate, the anger... the despair. The loneliness. The longing to get out of the massive hole he had managed to dig himself into. So as I fought Echelon I eventually did... nothing. I let Echelon beat me to pulp as Utu stood there and watched, letting Utu himself see what he had become and who the masters he had let take him over were. I... I let him make a decision for himself. And instead of killing me as he was ordered to do, he turned on his master, breaking free of the mind control - though apparently it was not to last."Tuara didn't say anything, but her face looked a lot more surprised than she might've intended to. Her eyebrows were raised. Maybe it was possible. Although it was also perfectly possible that Utu had turned on Echelon only out of spite. Still. She chewed her lip a little more, "I'm interested to see the condition he's in if we happen to find them again.""I admit I may have been a complete prick and an absolute chauvinist pig back in the day, but I have always, even back then, thought myself as honest individual, if misguided. That's not to say I can't or haven't been deceived, but yes, I'm completely convinced it's true. Only time will tell however if I'm right or have been deluded."I paused for a second, replaying recent memories in my head. "Hey, um, by the way, about a few minutes before... really sorry about that. You were in the process of being open and honest, talking about destiny and trust and such, and it seemed as though I might have ruined it. Guess I'm still not perfect."I shrugged with a half-smile."Aren't we all."

Edited by snoip lion

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

IC (Manuka): The Rhotuka was slowed by the hastily conjured sonic barrier, but not stopped. The wheel of energy broke through the sound and was absorbed into Exa's body, draining his strength. The yells of passion were cut abruptly short as the toa was staggered by the sudden drop in energy - half his strength had suddenly disappeared. A narrow beam of light, containing all the stolen vitality and power shot back out of his body where the rhotuka had hit and returned to Manuka's axe, which began to glow brightly.

"He's not hurt, just a lttle shocked" Manuka told Prei. "Now, is there anything else you wanted to say to him?"

ppg2.png

IC (Manuka): Thank the Great Spirit Manuka mentally sighed. He wasn't sure that a single guard force could contain both this toa and Maxian Kilanewb. Either the two would clash in a fight to high heaven or they would join together into a force of chaos so great it would shake Mata Nui to its roots, destroying all that was good and sane.

"So what are you going to do?" he asked carefully. Please don't say "sing"... please don't say "sing"...

ppg2.png

IC: Komae

For a moment, just a moment, Komae's smile faltered. Then he was back to his usual grin even as he pulled his hand free of the weaponsmith's grip. "Well. Accidents have to happen to someone, eh?

"Still... I suppose it wouldn't be that bad an idea to get a change of scenery. Mata Nui knows it's been long enough since I've been on a decent trading trip." A few months ago, he likely would have turned down the offer, but now... things had changed, hadn't they? No more Makuta on one hand, no more unified Matoran on the other. You had to take at least a little advantage of it when it happened, even if you were just a Po-Matoran carver.

And who knew? Maybe he'd hear a few fun stories in the process, get to tell a few of his own. He nodded and leaned forward a bit. "Alright, alright. Say you've convinced me. Any particular ideas as to where you'd like to head?"

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

IC-Beosach:

"Ga-Wahi first. It'd be a good place to go to get a good idea of how everything's been going on. After that, wherever the winds of fortune take us." Beosach leaned his entire chair back, reaching one arm behind himself to grab the knapped knife that Komae had brought to hm, setting it back down on the table.

"Besides, you ought to learn how to swim."

profiles i guess

"Oh. Swimming, huh? Tried once. I didn't much care for it. But I guess the hapless Matoran for passerby Toa to dive in and rescue have to come from somewhere."

He turned their destination over in his head. It'd been at least a year since he'd been to Ga-Koro, and the stories he'd heard said that they were almost less trusting than his own village, after the death of their Turaga, amongst other troubles. Guess I can't blame them. And maybe there would be a better market for particularly nicely-carved rocks in a place where most of the rocks were, well, underwater.

"Alright, Ga-Koro it is, then! Now, next question - how do two Matoran, one a weaponsmith, and the other of no particular skill, get from here to Ga-Koro? We could cut through the Dark Walk if you really insist, but I'd prefer not to get torn to pieces by Rahkshi if it's all the same to you."

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

IC

[Temple of Creation, Motara Desert - late afternoon]

So here we were. After several hours of trekking through the featureless desert we were finally here. And not a moment too soon; as much as I appreciated having an actual civil conversation with Tuara, it was also ending up being very awkward. Maybe it the lack of our combined social skills, or maybe the fact that - as she so aptly stated - we didn't see eye-to-eye very well. In any case shortly after the lull in the conversation Stannis had paused, turning to the group, myself in particular.

"We have arrived." he said, looking at my bag of charms with what appeared to be anticipation. His earlier comments had suggested that he always had wanted to get inside this temple especially, and now that we were on the threshold of that event even the stoic Toa Maru of Stone seemed a little...

Naw, couldn't be. The guy was emotionless like the rock he represented.

With a quick intake of breath I scrambled to the door, setting the bag down next to me as I busied myself brushing away the sands that had partially covered the entrance, the rock carved in the likeness of a maskless Matoran head. Surprisingly Stannis got down on his knees to help, and after a few minutes we had exposed the rest of the door, including the riddles. Rubbing my fingers on the ancient etchings I felt the grains fall away from the cracks even as I spoke them out loud.

"The Map to Victory,

Pride of the Sculptors,

One For All,

Strategy's Designs."

As usual there were four key slots, one next to each riddle, perfectly sized for the charms in my bag. There was a moment as no-one spoke, each mulling over the riddles in their mind.

"Well, I think we can apply past experiences to solve a few of them, then use process of elimination from there. Any takers?" My smile was facing the group, aimed for directly at Cael and Agni who had traveled with me before to the other five. Cael was the first to speak.

"One For All... and all for one; obviously it refers to the Virtue of Unity." she quipped, a grin on her face. If anyone where knew a thing or two about THAT Virtue, it was her. Agni apparently agreed, nodding sagely even as his lips tugged at a smile.

"And The Map to Victory must refer to the Principle of Strategy... for without a plan, one cannot guide himself to any goal, let alone victory."

I nodded, noting Agni's expertise in that that field, made evident in his brilliant defense of Kini-Nui despite being outgunned and outnumbered. Surprisingly Stannis was the next to speak.

"Pride of the Sculptors refers to the Principle of Creation; at times though I wish they wouldn't put so much of it into their creations."

The last part was muttered, though after a moment of thought it wasn't so surprising that he had insight to that riddle, over-abundance of statues in his honor and all that. Suddenly I found myself rubbing the back of my head...

"Strategy's Designs? What does THAT mean?" Lekua piped up. The resounding silence was answer enough as I could hear out collective gears churning. This one was a little more difficult to figu-

"Destiny."

All heads turned as one to the voice that had spoken. It was Merror, stroking his chin in thought. "It refers to Destiny. As Agni correctly stated you cannot get anywhere on purpose without a plan, and Mata-Nui has a plan for each one of us - a strategy for our lives so to speak. While we may not know exactly what it may be, he DOES have a design for each of our lives, and it's our job to find out what our Destiny is... no matter how murky the future is."

He might as well been talking to me.

Slowly I pulled out the four charms, and one by one placed them into the suggested slots. Merror was right; as much as we may not know what out future may hold, it's still our Duty to pursue our Destiny, or at least make every attempt to find out what our lives have to offer. This does not mean cast off everything else, but to live our lives to the fullest, always looking ahead. I have been spending so much time looking back at what happened that I forgot to look ahead... like I used to. Create my own future. I was letting my own past hold me back.

Figures.

No sooner had I inserted the last charm did deep within the stone barrier did we hear the faint sounds of clicking locks and grinding gears, a moment later a slight rumble as the massive door began to rise, a cascade of sand and small rocks falling in its wake. It would seem as though we had been correct.

The yawning, black tunnel beckoned. I turned to Stannis.

"Shall we?"

Living large... like clown-shoe size large. Complete with nose, rainbow-colored hair, and a bottle of seltzer water.

tumblr_lrgowllgeP1qzda76o1_500.jpg

IC (Manuka): "Absolutely" Manuka agreed with the giant Lesterin. "I think that his leaving the village will be good for everyone involved". He watch for a little longer as the toa slowly danced his way out of the gates, moving to the music in his ears.

"Shall we celebrate with doughnuts?" he suggested.

ppg2.png

IC-Beosach:

"Why else would I mention that you need to swim if I wasn't planning on going over water?" Beosach asked, grinning. "We do still get food shipments of what we can't get ourselves, after all, and those can't come over land the whole way. They'd rot."

profiles i guess

"So, will the food traders actually know we're going to be on the boat, or are we going to disguise ourselves in a barrel of fish?"

Edited by GSR

"Around the island?" He laughed. "Careful, Beosach. You're starting to sound like you're planning on some kind of adventure. We're just a pair of Matoran, remember? Don't go trying to play Toa on me, now.

"But in any event, if you're that sure about transport, I'll trust that we won't get thrown overboard two feet from shore. So, next question: when?"

"If you think that's enough time for you to get your stock together, then it's fine by me. I haven't got a lot I'll need to take, and I don't think any opportunists are likely to find anything of much value in my house while I'm gone."

He pulled Beosach's empty plate towards him and stacked the two together. "So, meet at the docks, I take it? Two, three hours after sunrise?"

IC-Beosach:

"Works for me," the lively Po-Matoran growled, a grin clearly plastered upon his face. "And remember to lock your house up, regardless. With how times have been, I wouldn't trust people to not try and see what's in there." He stood, the geode and stone knife he'd grabbed from Komae already in his satchel, plans already forming in his mind. He bid his friend a good day, and quickly went back to his home/shop to prepare.

And, sitting in his satchel, were the geode, the stone knife, and a pile of widgets that had been forgotten to be exchanged.

profiles i guess

IC: Korru (Po-Koro)

"Yes, please" Korru replied, and grabbed a doughnut without further ado. He swalled it whole and gave Manuka a careful pat on the back.

"Thanks for the help"

IC (Manuka): "No worries" he said to the Lesterin, returning the pat on the back. It was nice, he thought for a moment, not to have to look down so far when talking to someone. "I make it my job to help good people out of bad situations, and you seem like a good man. The world needs more you you."

ppg2.png

IC: KomaeTravel.It wasn't until he was back in his home, the door closed behind him, his satchel splayed out on the table before him (now less one knife, one geode, and just under ten widgets) that it actually hit him. He was stepping back out into the world.A sudden chill came over him, and he pulled his arms around himself and shivered. The world's changed, Komae. And isn't that a good thing?It was, it was. The Makuta was well and truly gone. The villages, lost without a common foe, had turned on each other. A thousand small dangers had replaced one great one. Change. He shivered again. He stumbled over to the table and sat himself down, taking a few deep breaths. A small stone carving he'd made the previous day of the symbol of the Three Virtues had spilled out from the bag. Without thinking, he grabbed it up and closed both hands around it.Great Spirit Mata Nui, who oversees us and guides our destinies, may you even now look over us and forgive us our betrayals.It wasn't a prayer, not quite - Komae had too much faith for prayer to be necessary. But it was a reminder. He placed the carving back into his bag. As he did, his hand passed over the few widgets left within.A smile broke out on his face. Oh, Beosach. That's the map-making, weapon-forging businessman I know. Always looking for an opportunity. He sighed and closed the bag, still smiling. I hope you'll give me the money tomorrow. I'd really hate to be stuck with a deal-breaker for the next however many weeks this travel takes.Then he turned to his tools and few materials and began gathering them up for the trip.---------------------The sun beat down bright and hot on him as he arrived at the town's docks the next morning. Beosach was nowhere to be found, but the docks were hardly crowded at this hour (and, not to put too fine a point on it, probably weren't likely to be very crowded at any other hour). Komae hummed to himself as he strolled down the pier; he didn't often come here, and the smell of the sea was somehow comforting. Sitting himself on a rock far enough away from the water that Beosach couldn't decide to start his swimming lessons early, Komae stretched out and began his wait.

IC:

"You suck, Komae."Komae turned with a start. Where was that voice coming from? After a moment, he saw a small knot, sitting rather incongruously on the wood of the pier. Wat.

It wiggled for a moment, and then a tan, Hau-shaped mask poked out from under the side of the pier, a small reed held in the being's teeth, for whe he decided to relax, as most of his head would have been underwater. A small observation would reveal similar knots being shown, in two places. It would seem that Beosach had been waiting for a while, and his items as well.

Sticking his tongue out, the Po-Matoran started to continue: "I mean, really. It's not like I would drown you."

profiles i guess

For a moment he stared blankly at the weaponsmith, then gave a hearty chuckle, his usual grin back on his face. "Very enterprising of you, Beosach! Though, I have to say, if you wanted to get me into the water, wouldn't it have just been easier to wait until we reached Ga-Koro and then tripped me as we disembarked or something?"

Ic: This was it. The start of the journey. Stannis could still see the tiny little dent Atiel's hammer had given the stone wall of a door almost a year before. This was also the end of the journey with a Companion by his side to finish it off.There was nothing inherently magical in the riddle-guessing Joske and his team underwent. It all seemed rather... simple, really, though he knew the challenge wasn't in guessing riddles as much as getting the charms to activate them. But when the door opened and Joske turned and said to Stannis, "Shall we?" the magic came in force."Yes," Stannis said with a nod.

The walk wasn't that long really... a few dozen steps as the darkness swallowed us, then as our eyes adjusted the light from the entrace dimly illuminated the chamber; a plain, undecorated circular room with a single object in the center - a dais. What was on that dais?Nothing.As was to be expected. Huani with his shadow powers was able to bypass the door and steal this crystal without having to undergo the trials involved... in essence cheat for me. It was as much as I expected, even prepared for but still, somewhere in a corner of my being I felt disappointed. I took three steps and stood next to it, staring at it with a blank face, arms crossed."Well... here we are. As grand as you imagined it?"

"No," Stannis said, his mood a far cry from the enthusiastic affirmative he said a moment before. But even as he looked around at the dark wonder of architecture he felt that there had to be something more to this than just a simple dais. Nothing Joske, let alone he, did was for naught. Everything had a reason, even if it was a surreal one. Destiny oft worked in mysterious ways.The prophet breathed the ancient air in deeply. "What's on your mind?" he asked simply, digging for meaning in the sparse space.

"Not much... the past mostly." I said absentmindedly, "Thinking how Heuani got in here and took the crystal without the charms; wondering how different my journey would have been had I needed to enter all six instead of five before going to the Keeping Place; trying to decide if my pilgrimage here was for something tangible, despite knowing this chamber would be empty, or something not so physical... closure perhaps."I bit my lip pensively. There was so much wrapped up in this place, so much that this locale represented, yet at the same time nothing at all. This place was key to everything of my past, what I had to do, yet it held nothing for my future, nothing to guide me by. This... was a place of the past. Was that the key?"You obviously know why this place in important to me, Temple Crystals and all... but if I may ask, what special significance does it have for you? I don't think I caught the whole story."

"You weren't the only one looking to enter these temples, Joske," Stannis explained. "When you were still a stuckup kohlii star I and my Companions were already working on it. Granted, we never managed to enter one of these but we did manage to recover all the Chronicler Company riddles, starting with Hafu's."Stannis sighed and stepped around the bulbous end of the dais as if gazing at an unseen crystal ball. "This temple was where that journey started. I and my friends stood at the door and wondered how to get in. Our quest led us to Onewa, then to Hafu, and that night Hafu was stolen away. In a way, you could say I've been trying to be admitted to this temple for a year now." He snorted lightly. "Maybe it was useless, a wild fusa chase. But maybe it's just the close of a chapter I needed to get over with.

"I still remember that day well."

"No, I think you're right."My eyes had closed sometime during Stannis' narrative, only now opening them slightly. "Closure. For you your journey started here, and by your own admission it would seem you would just like to see the place that started off your quest that eventually turned you into a Toa, to pay homage to the place that began your transformation. But for me its a literal end. My job was to open the temples and sacred places, and this is the one place on my rather extensive list I didn't unlock. The onle place I didn't go. This place... this place for me represents an old life, the end of a transformation from a-" I snorted myself this time, in a more humerous tone, "-stuck-up Kohlii star in a Toa's body to a real hero, or at least someone TRYING to make a difference. That's what this place means to me. I guess in the end I'm here to finally put to rest the old me."Not to say I was done changing, but I always felt lke a part of me was holding back, something that completely prevented me from moving on. I looked about the room fully for the first time, taking in its structure."Reminds you of a tomb, doesn't it?"

"Vaguely," Stannis said, looking around again. "I can't say I've seen many tombs -- or temples. Were all the other Virtue temples like this?"

"Yes." I firmly, my gaze once again falling on the empty dais. "All them were like this, dark and foreboding, yet it didn't seem that way for one reason: for within each one was the prize I sought, the crystal that gave me purpose and strength, the next hint to forge ahead. Withing the precious gem within, it is just an empty room. And empty room that should be filled with something, for that is the purpose of such a space; why else build it? So if this is a tomb, then let it be a tomb... and stop holding myself back."Reaching into my bag I pulled out a Kohlii ball. Not just any Kohlii ball - MY Kohlii ball. My favortie one. The one I traveled with in my previous adventure, the one I used quite cleverly to help dig that tunnel at the bottom of the great mine with my disk launcher, the ball I used to keep myself entertained when bored. My lucky ball, the one that helped me win more championships than anything else."There should be something on that dais now, shouldn't there?"It was more of a statement than a question, and before I could let Stannis answer I placed the ball on the small pedastal. There was a moment of silence as I stared at it, feeling a great deal of attachment to the object. It's past, it's memories, what it represented in my lif-With one swift, single motion I drew the flamberge and with both hands pinned the ball to the dais.

I was surprised at how easily the sword cut through the stone; it was practically effortless. Then again the flamberge could slice through out metallic skin and protodermis armor without a second thought so it the end it wasn't that much of a stretch, but still. I took a step towards the entrance, straightening my back as I gazed at my handiwork - a Kohlii ball kabob-ed through the top by my sword that was embedded into the stone pedestal. I took in a long, deep breath, letting go.I pinned much to that dais in that moment.

Stannis observed calmly as Joske put the trappings of his old quest down in the little ceremony. The ball, a remnant of his old jock days, and the sword, a reminder of the legendary trickster he faced off against in the end. It was fitting that the temple was like a tomb indeed, Stannis considered, though while the placement of sacrifices on the proverbial altar signaled the end of one life Joske still lived on, albeit a changed man. After all, the end of one trip was always the start of another.He stood beside Joske and they both looked down at the sacrifices as if both saying, 'Look here, O' Great Spirit, and take these offerings as a token of deeds done.' Or so Stannis imagined they did, since he was as much a priest as a prophet.

"So then," he said after a moment of remembrance. "I know that the Massif is as healthful to the mind and soul as to the body. What then have you gleaned of your destiny from this point onwards?" He looked at Joske hard. "And if you say you're going to 'wander' I am going to have to ask you to reconsider your choice of strategy."

"You DO realize how many times beings don't think of something until you tell them not to do it? Now I'm tempted... "I chuckled dryly, a fist to my mouth as a gave a slight cough afterwards. I took a moment to ponder his query, as usual his words a little deeper than one would expect. "That simply I 'm not done yet. Whatever it was, or should I saw whatever it is, it's not yet completed. The Temple Crystals, Heuani... the only thing I can think of was that it was just the start, not the finish." I took a pause, finally looking at Stannis. "Not to say you're done either, but for the most part you and your fellows have your role, completed your transformation to fulfill your ongoing duty. My transformation only started when I became a Toa... not ended. And that clinging to my past was only hindering my advancement to the next stage; holding me back from moving forward. Simply put, it's time to let go."As if on cue the Kohlii ball split in two, the halves falling to the smooth stone floor below with a distinct crack, the sphere unable to hold together any longer under the separating pressure of the sword. "Well."I took a half-step, reaching forward and grasping the handle with my right hand. I squeezed it tight, feeling the polished metal in my palm, letting myself remember everything that happened over the course of the last year. I think finally now I was at peace with it.Time to stop being held back.With a sharp yank I pulled the sword free, the blade coming out as cleanly as it went in. It was the same blade as before, but even now it felt... different. Perhaps it was I who was different. In any case in some small way I felt freed, the blade no longer a symbol of the past, a terrible weapon of evil. It was my blade, a blade of promise and of the future."Amazing how it simply catches the light and refracts it, no?"

"It's truly otherworldly," Stannis observed, though still with scornful regard in his eyes and tongue, not because of what the weapon stood for but rather a hearty dislike or swords. "I have doubts it was even truly Heuani's at all. The tools the other spectre-toa used were far less pretty than this one. I wonder... where it comes from..." Stannis' voice trailed off in the reverberating chamber."Take this weapon with purpose," he said, regaining the famed sage authority he was known to hold. "Whenever a door closes another one becomes available -- sometimes you just need a key to open it. I think this sword is vital to your new journey."

"Finally," I said somberly, with just a hint of humor, "something we can BOTH agree on."Reaching down I undid the sheath from my belt - there was no reason for me to hide the fact that I had the weapon anymore. With a simple gesture I threw it on the floor next the Kohlii ball halves, sliding the blade into the exposed notch in the belt. With a short intake of beath I nodded, the crystal weapon striking a nice contrast to my body as it hung by my side. I slowly nodded."Unless you felt the need to stay longer, I do believe I got what I came for. You?"

"Before we go, perhaps you can entreat me to some insight of your own for a change."

"Alright, I'll give it a shot; no promises though."

Stannis' lips tugged at a corner; despite Stannis' famed wisdom he was far from infallible or all-knowing and had his great faults, as the other Maru knew. Unlike Joske he could not set aside his trinkets because they gave him nightmares. No, his trinkets were far too important to set on any altar and forget them or their meanings. "You're familiar with how my mask operates?" he asked pointedly.

"Something goes in, something comes out of equivalent power. That's about as much as I've gotten from anyone." I replied evenly. As much as I may be associated with the Maru their masks and abilities were still somewhat of a mystery to me... which to me was rather strange considering if it wasn't for my effort they wouldn't have any of them. Life sometimes is stranger than fiction.

"That's the gist of it," Stannis nodded. "But whatever I banish to the Legend or summon out of it is replaced equivalent to whatever I quantify the moved thing to be. Since that moment I put the Makuta into the Legend I have been restless. I fear what has replaced the Makuta is as terrible and unpredictable as the darkness himself. For that reason I am in fearful awe of the power which I wield, since since that famous usage I have not activated its power since. I have not spoken to the other Maru or anyone else on the subject of this weakness of mine and only speak to you because you have underwent your own metamorphose twice already. What do you think of this? Should I embrace this arbitrating gift and its power... or should I refuse its use in rightful fear of the unseen consequences?"

That... was a good question.I thought long and hard before I spoke, and even then I did so slowly. "You are one of the wisest Toa I've met Stannis. Your travels and trials have given you insight beyond what most would ever experience, not to mention your gifts of prophecy. This is on top of the fact you are not impulsive and not easily swayed by words or emotion. Frankly put you're not going to act on anything unless you're absolutely sure. Perhaps that hinders you when decision need to be made quickly, one of few faults of sageness, but on the other hand when the rock DOES decide to move, it does so with absolute certainty that it's made the right decision."That is why, Stannis, I am convinced the Great Spirit gave you that mask. You alone are probably one of the few on the island who can handle that kind of power. Someone like me, despite all the good intentions I have, would end up using it incorrectly in an attempt to solve some problem or create a solution... and probably end up making it worse in the end. That goes with probably every other Toa on the island. In fact, I'm convinced that's why I no longer have the Mask of Conjuring."I stared at the floor, slightly remorseful. "If everything were equal I would still have my powers. I would still have that mask. Heuani would have still been defeated... though as to Cael's fate I am uncertain, but that's not the point here. I was destined to have that mask, but I squandered it. In the end the outcome is was what predicted would occur, but not in the same detail as what was assumed. I went too far, asked for too much too fast. And I'm not alone. The temptation and the intent would undo anyone else. You, however, have a fear. A deep, healthy understanding and fear of what it was, what it can do, and what the consequences of it can and will be. That in itself is worth more than any power any being can give you: wisdom. And you have a full deck of it. As to whether to embrace or shun it... "I paused. "Neither. From what short a life I have so far lived, existing in the extremes on either side in not the most conducive way to live. Some can operate better on one side or the other, but to completely embrace an extreme I don't think is right, let alone obtainable. As you rightly fear and understand this tremendous power and gift I say use it judiciously; you were not given it just to use once and once only, but neither were you granted the right to alter reality as you see fit. Use it as you need to, don't be afraid of it power, but be mindful and respectful of its consequences. That's my take."

"I was right to ask you for your insight," Stannis said with a nod, clearly satisfied with Joske's opinion. He looked at the room one final time before pointing at the distant door of light that waited for them to pass through again. "Let's go rejoin the others."

"Yes... let's."With that I turned, leaving much behind, never to bother me again.

Stannis stepped back towards the light, content that at least he had visited the illusive temple he had always sought for a year. He left behind a little bit of himself, too, a remnant of his time as an adventurer. Now he was fully a Wanderer.

IC: Utu Kotore - Po-Wahi - The Meeting PlaceI still am unsure why these people still work together.Or even look at each other with some sort of common mindedness. Didn't their god die? Alright, well I guess he was my god too, but that didn't last long and the only reason I was there because I was too stupid to realize that getting involved in the affairs of shadow Toa wasn't a good idea. Seriously, ##### that guy. And ##### me for thinking I would ever be held in any sort of positive regard by that man or any of his friends. Of course though, turned out he was just a manipulative prick that got off at my dis̴̢̧co̷̢̢mfort. I guess that was different than how everybody else saw me though. Not that I enjoyed it at all.But honestly. Makuta was gone. I get that people sometimes get attached to things, but there was really no reason to be worrying about Makuta's public relations right now. Nor ever again. I dunno. I guess they're a lot like me. Honestly, I don't know if I would've walked out there if I could. Come to think of it, I didn't have anywhere to go myself. Maybe I would've gone back to Ko-Wahi or Ko-Koro. Maybe get drunk and pass out in the snow outside because I didn't have any more money with me. Echelon emptied my pockets long ago. Greedy #####; at least have the decency to stab me first. Tu-Koro taught me real manners. Man needed to work on being more aware of cultural differences. There was a process you had to go through. It was an unspoken rule, but a rule nonetheless.

Whatever.I still stand by what I thought then. These people are still really stupid.The shell looked on blankly watching the situation unfold. The map was built, more members made their entrances but little was said in terms of actually planning. I wasn't totally sure what exactly our goal was. I didn't pay much attention.I was more concerned about the increasing burning in my arm and the ri̛v̸ers of dark scars that reached across my body.

Edited by snoip lion

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |