Movie Music

Ankarus

This is the topic to talk about your favorite music from movies. I enjoyed the Transformers 3 music. I also liked "Iridescent" by Lincoln Park (Yes, it was in TF3). Not really a fan of the band, but I did like that song. I am sure that everyone is annoyed by me humming it 24/7.

Edited by Ankarus
830px-Epguide407.jpg

Are you ready?

The Clone Wars are back.

I love film scores, with a huge percentage of my music library devoted to them. My personal favorite composers are Nick Cave/Warren Ellis, Clint Mansell, and (of course) John Williams. I'm really excited to hear what the latter does with Adventures of Tintin and War Horse in the coming months. I can't comment on Transformers 3 (that is what you're referring to, right?) since I haven't seen the film, but I'm not a Steve Jablonsky fan so I can't imagine I'd enjoy it.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Lord of the Rings had some cool stuff. What I didn't like was Captain America's music. It did not fit the movie at all. If they had had more music or at least instruments that had sounded WWII era instead of a more-so Dark Knight music, it would've given off a much better feel, I think personally.

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

BWWWWWAAAAAAP BWWWWWWAAAAAAP! BWWWWWWAAAAAP BWWWWWAAAAAAP! The Inception soundtrack, ladies and gentlemen. Nah, I'm a big fan of soundtracks, my overall favourite genre. I've been listening to the Bionicle soundtrack a lot lately (The original trilogy, not TLR, which didn't even have memorable music), as well as some of the songs from Donnie Darko.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I spend a huge percentage of my listening time listening to soundtrack. My personal favourites are the music from Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, and Coraline - and most of John Williams' work (particularly Jurassic Park). I also love the music from the Bionicle trilogy (TWA, I agree completely, the only memorable music in TLR was the theme for Tesara), written by Nathan Furst - who, incidentally, I've actually had a conversation with via e-mail!

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I also love the music from the Bionicle trilogy (TWA, I agree completely, the only memorable music in TLR was the theme for Tesara), written by Nathan Furst - who, incidentally, I've actually had a conversation with via e-mail!

I can't help but wonder why the guy doesn't get much work. I rate him quite highly, but half of the stuff he's worked on, I've never even heard of.

LzcD9OS.png

I also love the music from the Bionicle trilogy (TWA, I agree completely, the only memorable music in TLR was the theme for Tesara), written by Nathan Furst - who, incidentally, I've actually had a conversation with via e-mail!

I can't help but wonder why the guy doesn't get much work. I rate him quite highly, but half of the stuff he's worked on, I've never even heard of.
I know what you mean. Wasn't the flying theme from Web of Shadows just beautiful?

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I know what you mean. Wasn't the flying theme from Web of Shadows just beautiful?
My personal favourites are either the Matoran theme or Turaga Lhikan's theme. At least, those are the names they were given on a certain video hosting site. Edited by The Wretched Automaton

LzcD9OS.png

My personal favourites are either the Matoran theme or Turaga Lhikan's theme. At least, those are the names they were given on a certain video hosting site.
They're both lovely, too. I love the innocence of the Matoran theme, and the nobility of Lhikan's. What do you think of Keetingu's theme, if you've heard it? When he's emerging from the water?

MoL's opening theme is awesome on so many levels.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I honestly listen to soundtrack much more than I listen to vocal music. I really like:Lord of the RingsPirates of the CaribeanHanz Zimmer in general I'll totally comb this topic for suggestions. I'll have to listen to the bionicle ones again, I don't remember anything from that, but it has been a long time since I watched the movies. I have listened to all the MNOLG soundtrack, though.

banner.png

I found the soundtrack to the Japanese movie "Prophecies of Nostradamus" by accident recently, and I was so enchanted that I hunted down a copy of the movie and ordered the original uncut version from eBay. (Twenty minutes were cut out by Toho because of nudity and insensitivity to the victims of Hiroshima.) It's written and partially directed by Yoshimitsu Banno, director of "Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster," so it's sort of a bad movie, but with underlying currents of brilliance. Anyway, the soundtrack is awesome, and at the same time probably the most ridiculous soundtrack I've ever heard. (The movie in a nutshell.) It's got 80s-sounding synth, 50s scifi theremin, Spaghetti Western trumpets, Medieval choir, and then it unexpectedly explodes into 70s wah-wah pedal guitar. This is a soundtrack that does whatever it wants. Google "Prophecies or Nostradamus Main Theme" and it should be your first result.

I have to admit the music in the Bionicle Trilogy was amazingly moving, and I'm very depressed official soundtracks were never released, even if only by download. The music to Amelie was brilliant, and as mentioned it pretty much made the film the masterpiece it is (The story about it being seen without the music and being called horrible). Portrait of Jennie always gets a mention in topics like this, because of the gorgeous and mysterious theme music (Bar none, the best use of theremin music in a movie). On top of that, the adaptations of Chopin's work was BREATH-TAKING, and I can honestly say that NO orchestra adaptation has ever moved me as much as those in the film. Pan's Labyrinth has a wonderful score as well. the 2005(?) version of Stepford Wives is a guilty pleasure for me. Faithful adaptation, NO, but I really enjoyed it. And I REALLY enjoyed that fantastic score. The music was magical, and truely got me immersed in the 'beauty' of Stepford. Now some blankets. All Studio Ghibli films, All Pixar films, and honestly, anything with a score by Danny Elfman. Laura, Ma and Pa Kettle, Somewhere in Time, and Atonement had beautiful 'theme songs' I still randomly hum Ma and Pa Kettle's theme.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

Uh I liked the TRON: Legacy soundtrack. :B I usually don't even notice music in a movie.

TRON all the way, I like how Daft Punk managed to do some fine orchestra, even if what they usually make is electronic and house. Also, Super 8's soundtrack was also pretty great. Michael Giacchino, Brad Fiedel and Danny Elfman are some examples of great composers. :P

"cool dude"

Uh I liked the TRON: Legacy soundtrack. :B I usually don't even notice music in a movie.

TRON all the way, I like how Daft Punk managed to do some fine orchestra, even if what they usually make is electronic and house. Also, Super 8's soundtrack was also pretty great. Michael Giacchino, Brad Fiedel and Danny Elfman are some examples of great composers. :P
I read that Daft Punk actually got a third person to arrange what they wrote for the orchestra, seeing as how they obviously didn't have any previous experience writing parts for violins, cellos, etc. - I'm assuming that they initially produced everything on synths. Anyway, I enjoyed the Tron Legacy soundtrack also, the blend of symphony/electronics was interesting. I enjoy quite a few other film soundtracks, too. Hans Zimmer and John Williams are great, obviously.

:kaukau:John Williams is a god. How's that for a thesis statement? But anyway, I think that he really has a great idea of how music and cinema fit together. I've listened to a lot of interviews and lectures by all sorts of composers whenever I can find a video. A lot of composers don't quite know how to make the perfect music for a movie, but John Williams has a way of looking into the heart and soul of a film and capturing it through music. Not only that, but he makes his music memorable and powerful, often outright lovable. Star Wars, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Home Alone, Munich, E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Indiana Jones, Hook, Harry Potter, Schindler's List, an adaptation of Fiddler On the Roof, Saving Private Ryan, and Superman. Not only that, but he also composed the "Olympic Fanfare" for all American audiences. Many of his musical themes have become synonymous in the pohbulic conscious with certain ideas and concepts. The "Imperial March" has become a theme for power and evil, used even in earnest. Various themes have become synonymous for heroism, and the main theme for "Jaws" has become a symbol for impeding doom and sharks in general. Star Wars alone has eight pieces that I would consider instantly recognizeable.- "Star Wars Theme"- "Rebel Fanfare"- The Throne Room music (Also known as the "Force Theme" and a few other alternative titles)- "Leia's Theme"- The Cantina music- "The Imperial March"- "Dual of the Fates"- "Battle of the Heroes" And if you are a fan like me then you will probably also recognize Anakin and Padme's romance theme ("Across the Stars") and Palpatine's theme. The Films also brought back the 20th Century Fox fanfare by Alfred Newman, and that opening theme is still associated with Star Wars. There, I came out and said it. Someone had to fall down on their knees for this guy. A lot of people mentioned him with a slight honorary "of course" thrown into parentheses, but a topic without a post fully dedicated to this legend would seem out of place. Although I also do have to throw out a pretty stinking good word to whoever wrote the music for the MNOG games. Those were perfect. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

Interesting how I seem to be the only one to have mentioned movies older than fifty..

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

:kaukau:I do like the music from Wizard of Oz, since the music is lively and the lines are so fun. Just thought I'd through old Malevolence a bone. My reverence to even the older Disney films is strong, especially Fantasia and the song When You Wish Upon A Star as sung by the marvelous Cliff Edwards, who had soul. Some of Disney's great musical landmarks - for me - have been the aforementioned Fantasia, Mary Poppins, and The Lion King. I know that I've praised John Williams as an individual composer, but the the Disney company has successfully dedicated itself to creating an entire world of music. I'll mention the music from MNOG again, though, since it was drowned out by all my worshiping of John Williams. It really is special and I think that it gives the series a powerful effect. In some ways it makes it about as personal feeling as the narrative style of the Animorphs series, although that might be comparing apples to oranges. Well, they're both fruit. I also know that some people might think that it isn't movie music, but I felt that MNOG kind of played as a movie, albeit the medium was a little different. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

Wow, that is a tricky one. I've seen some great films with great music. In my opinion, one of the best composers might be Ennio Morricone. Anyone here heard of him? If not, you might have heard of his stuff. He did all the music for my second-favorite director Sergio Leone, and one of his best known tracks is the theme to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, which you've probably heard even if you don't know the name. I'd post a link but I'm not sure what video sharing websites I'm allowed to link to on here. Outside of Leone's Spaghetti Westerns (and one gangster film), Morricone also did the soundtrack for The Mission and John Carpenter's The Thing. Now aside from Morricone, there is of course John Williams, the guy who did the soundtrack for many of Steven Spielberg's films. Everybody knows the themes from Indiana Jones and Star Wars, both of which are his. He also did a brilliant theme for Saving Private Ryan. Actually, was there any Spielberg film which John Williams didn't score?

Wow, that is a tricky one. I've seen some great films with great music. In my opinion, one of the best composers might be Ennio Morricone. Anyone here heard of him?

Oh dear, how could I have forgotten to list Morricone in my post up there? Once Upon a Time in the West is one of my favorite western scores. And he's done so much more than that.

[John Williams] also did a brilliant theme for Saving Private Ryan. Actually, was there any Spielberg film which John Williams didn't score?

The Color Purple is the only Spielberg film not scored by John Williams.
BZPRPG

Ennio Morricone also did some great work in For a Few Dollars More. Look up "Sixty Seconds to What?" and "The Vice of Killing." Fantastic tracks. And though I've never seen the movie itself, I love his theme for The Big Gundown. I had it as my ringtone for a while.

My favorite score is from Up. "Married Life" is just... heart-tearing. Or something.

While Up doesn't have my favorite soundtrack, I agree completely about "Married Life".I have too many favorite soundtracks to name. My favorite composers (based off my limited film experience :P) are John Williams, James Newton Howard, Thomas Newman, Hans Zimmer, Nathan Furst, and John Powell. I have more, definitely, but those are the main composers that come to mind. Edited by Legolover-361