Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

I talked to him once or twice on other sites a few months ago, mostly thanking him for showing off some great stuff in YCPT. He really was the nicest guy and just seemed to love the fact he was getting more people into his hobbies, and he always seemed to have this 'older brother' vibe to him. There's a donation thing going on to help with the funeral, if any of you want to donate.

I dunno about you guys, but I know that I can play this type of stuff because of him.

hElbrZ6.gif

It's really sad when things like this happen to people in the video game community, especially if they could have been prevented/stopped (Greg Miller beating cancer comes to mind, even his wasn't very seroius). My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

And on a lighter note, I've finished up my college supply spending for this semester, and I managed to stay within a good budget. Which means I'll have enough money leftover to purchase a PS4 within a few weeks! That is, assuming I can find one.

It's really sad when things like this happen to people in the video game community

it's sad when it happens to anyone

Agree completely. No one should have to ever take their own life (exceptions being people like Hitler I guess, who have done awful things...)

But let's change to a less depressing subject?

Does anyone else here happen to own a video capture card? Even when not recording, I find it just so easy to keep my PS3's output running in one window and have my Facebook or something open in another (I only have one monitor because no space).

It's really sad when things like this happen to people in the video game community

it's sad when it happens to anyone

It really stings in the gaming community especially, because of how the hobby is social by nature and things like depression and suicide aren't completely noticed or acknowledged, even more than in real life and other activities..

hElbrZ6.gif

It really stings in the gaming community especially, because of how the hobby is social by nature and things like depression and suicide aren't completely noticed or acknowledged, even more than in real life and other activities..

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Anyways... I don't own a capture card, but what might I expect to pay for a good one? Also, do they exist with Component and HDMI input? Or just one or the other? Just wondering, as I'd like to do a few Let's Plays.

thats ridiculous omg i cant believe more than one person thinks that. that is the most pitifully self important thing i've heard in ages. just cause he liked the same thing as you his life meant more than someone who didnt? omfg

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

thats ridiculous omg i cant believe more than one person thinks that. that is the most pitifully self important thing i've heard in ages. just cause he liked the same thing as you his life meant more than someone who didnt? omfg

oh christ I didn't even realize I came off that way, jesus. I meant to come off as 'it stings more in this sort of thing because it hits a bit closer to home'. I didn't mean to come off as saying it was any more of a tragedy than a non-gamer's death.

Which probably sounds just as bad, really.

Anyways... I don't own a capture card, but what might I expect to pay for a good one? Also, do they exist with Component and HDMI input? Or just one or the other? Just wondering, as I'd like to do a few Let's Plays.

A few years back you could get a decent one for around 60-80 USD, IIRC. Can't remember if it had HDMI or Component input.

hElbrZ6.gif

One thing about tragedies in your own community is that it reminds you "it could have been me." And believe me, depression and thoughts of suicide can hit you even if you think you're immune. Sometimes especially if you think you're immune. On a general scale (not just talking about depression/suicide), the people who are/have been in pain are generally the ones most generous with helping others who are in that situation, because we know what that pain feels like and don't want anyone else to have to go through it alone.

...anyway, with regards to capture cards: I really wish there was a CC for the 3DS/3DS XL that didn't require you to open up the unit and void your warranty. Like an app or something, like I have for my computer. Would be quite helpful, TBH.

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Mine was ~$120, and does 1080p60 via HDMI and VGA (and came with a Component to VGA adapter). Virtually no lag when playing a game in 720p or higher, but 480p has some, and for 480i it's unplayable, and you need to use those AV splitter things.

One thing about tragedies in your own community is that it reminds you "it could have been me." And believe me, depression and thoughts of suicide can hit you even if you think you're immune. Sometimes especially if you think you're immune. On a general scale (not just talking about depression/suicide), the people who are/have been in pain are generally the ones most generous with helping others who are in that situation, because we know what that pain feels like and don't want anyone else to have to go through it alone.

...anyway, with regards to capture cards: I really wish there was a CC for the 3DS/3DS XL that didn't require you to open up the unit and void your warranty. Like an app or something, like I have for my computer. Would be quite helpful, TBH.

I must agree completely. I've thought of myself as a narcissist most of my life, and a few years ago a bit of a depression hit me. I'm over it now, but, I thought some awful things, and as useless as my help can be, I still try to offer it.

You could always just buy another 3DS. I doubt it has the specs to record itself as it runs a game, or at least not a 3DS game. Perhaps DS and VC games could work with something like that.

I never heard of or knew the guy, but my heart goes out to his family and friends nonetheless.

On a less depressing note, anybody here play Star Wars Battlefront II? I've rediscovered the gem of a game that it is just recently.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Stiiiiiill missing my Gamecube virtual console....

Zelda Four Swords Anniversary is back on the 3DS eshop for free until February 2.

I can't seem to get it. Help?

EDIT: Says currently unavailable.

Is it because I'm in the UK?

Edited by Timelady Gallade

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

Stiiiiiill missing my Gamecube virtual console....

Zelda Four Swords Anniversary is back on the 3DS eshop for free until February 2.

Lack of analogue shoulder buttons = limited GCN support. Melee, Mario Sunshine, and F-Zero (don't quote me on this one) would be unplayable, and Luigi's Mansion would suffer a bit. There are others too, but those are the only ones I remember off the top of my head.

So... Sly Cooper: The Movie?

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

NO.

Why did they change a perfectly good-looking, cartoony game into another hyper-realistic (well, for talking animals) CGI movie?

... At least It'll most likely be better than that Super Mario Bros. live-action movie. Which was so horrible it was hilarious.

At first, I really didn't like the way the movie looked, but it's not bad at all IMO. The change in actors (most noticeable with Sly) is odd, and Murray's redesign doesn't click with me too well, but overall, I've no issue with it. Since Sucker Punch is involved with the development, I think it may turn out alright in the end.

There's no denying the quality of the animation; having not played any of the games in the series, I'm rather impartial to the whole thing. If it turns out to be a good movie I'll see it; if it turns out that it sucks, then I won't. Until it's 2016, I'm not going to have an opinion either way.

Yeah, I'm still in that initial stage of shock at how radically different the movie looks, so, uh, yeah. It does have a couple of years to grow on me, though, so... I might end up liking it in the end. Not gonna just judge a book by it's cover a movie based off a videogame by it's radical departure from the game's graphics/artstyle.

Biggest thing that bugs me is that on the back of one of the Sly games's box (I think), it had a quote saying "It's like playing a Pixar movie!" If the games looked that good... Did they really need the visual overhaul?

Anyways, best thing that could come out of this, given SP's involvement, would be a live-action Infamous movie.

Also, on a completely unrelated yet sort of related note- I just recently found out that there's an Animal Crossing movie. I don't really get it, because from what I've played of the games, it doesn't really seem like something that would work that well as a movie...

NO.

Why did they change a perfectly good-looking, cartoony game into another hyper-realistic (well, for talking animals) CGI movie?

Probably because it's getting increasingly hard to sell studios on animated movies, especially ones that aren't "hyper-realistic CGI". Unfortunately, if they planned to make the graphics similar to that of the game, the movie probably wouldn't be made at all.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Which was so horrible it was hilarious.

don't call it hilarious, that implies it was enjoyable. that movie was nothing but a cringe fest and it basically killed nintendo franchises getting movies. we'd have a zelda and a metroid movie and probably kid icarus too if it weren't for that train wreck of a movie.

what are some vidya goals you guys have? for me, i really really want to beat dark souls. it's something i've been working at for such a long time. not even that it is hugely immensely difficult, i just can't focus and get it done.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

As awful as it was... I enjoyed maybe about 15% of the SMB movie. It was still better than Final Fantasy Unlimited, which is the worst game tie-in series ever, IMO.

On the other hand, I legitamitely enjoyed the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I found the live-action bits to be mostly enjoyable, and my favorite animated episode has to be when Wendy Koopa kidnapped the President of the United States.

Also, I feel that The Wizard deserves a mention (because it's the best Nintendo movie EVER), because it was a completely 80's infomercial for both Super Mario Bros. 3 and the Power Glove, which is waaay up there on the most stupidly awesome accessories of all time list.

Anyways, gaming goals? Well:

Platinum Infamous and Infamous 2

Finish all main non-MMO Final Fantasy games

Finish the Xenosaga trilogy

Finish the PS3 Atelier games

Finish the Hyperdimension Neptunia games

Outlast all my friends in CoD Zombies

Oh, yes. Battlefront I and II were my childhood games, though I like the maps in I better, and it strikes me as less broken (Jedi/Sith were extremely OPed).

In SWBFII, how many endurance awards do you have? I have like 500 something :P

Little late but I've got 1,032 endurance awards, this is quite the popular game with my friends and I, my other stats in it are just insane compared to normal people.

As for goals in gamming not much other than beat Devil May Cry 3 on every difficulty with both Dante and Vergil which is going very nicely.

Edited by Shinigami ToaD
I'm just ToaD

I know. It's just about setting aside the time to do it... And I'm waiting until I've finished my evil run in Infamous to start that in Infamous 2 (I've got all the possible trophies I can get in my Hero run).

Also, I'd like to platinum The Walking Dead sometime soon, and that's proving rather difficult (even though the requirement for the platinum is just to finish the game), not because the game itself difficult (It's absurdly easy), but because I'm not a big fan of the game and have almost zero will to play it.

Edited by Raku Ichijo

Which was so horrible it was hilarious.

don't call it hilarious, that implies it was enjoyable. that movie was nothing but a cringe fest and it basically killed nintendo franchises getting movies. we'd have a zelda and a metroid movie and probably kid icarus too if it weren't for that train wreck of a movie.

I don't see a Kid Icarus movie. The series had two mediocre games before Uprising, and Uprising would NEVER work as a movie :P

On the other hand, I legitamitely enjoyed the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I found the live-action bits to be mostly enjoyable, and my favorite animated episode has to be when Wendy Koopa kidnapped the President of the United States.

Also, I feel that The Wizard deserves a mention (because it's the best Nintendo movie EVER), because it was a completely 80's infomercial for both Super Mario Bros. 3 and the Power Glove, which is waaay up there on the most stupidly awesome accessories of all time list.

I've not seen the US President episode, but I agree with everything else. That show wasn't that bad, and the live action segments were pretty funny at times. The Wizard was AWESOME!

I just Platinumed Sly Cooper 1, my first Platinum. Feels great, but seeing as it didn't even require you to do the sprints, it didn't seem like a huge accomplishment, like 100%ing the PS2 version did. And I must ask why Sanzaru was stupid enough to mess up the 3rd boss battle? I mean, the music was completely out of synch with the attack pattern, which defeats the purpose of having a DDR boss! Ugh!

My newest goals are to 100% Mario 3D World, finish Uncharted 2, and finish the main quest of Skyrim (just to say that I have).

Legend of Zelda Four Swords is free on the 3DS eshop until February 2nd. ;)

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Legend of Zelda Four Swords is free on the 3DS eshop until February 2nd. ;)

Only in NA I've heard.

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

Oh, yes. Battlefront I and II were my childhood games, though I like the maps in I better, and it strikes me as less broken (Jedi/Sith were extremely OPed).

In SWBFII, how many endurance awards do you have? I have like 500 something :P

I had to switch computers with it - on the old one, I had loads and had mastered every award except the Technician and Demolition ones (I didn't like playing Hoth). Currently, I've mastered it again, but have nowhere near the 500 or 1000 that you guys do. In multiplayer, the heroes are a lot less OP - one sniper headshot will drop most (all?) heroes, while land mines will tear them apart as well. That said, the multiplayer doesn't 'quite' work as well as it should - hear me out. Sniping doesn't work with even the slightest ping, something that I've seen in Halo 1 and 2, because the hit scan projectile on the insta-kill headshot misses far too often for comfort for the noob player, and is far too powerful for the experienced one. In addition, the Heavy class is pretty OP when friendly fire is off, because mines+grenades+rockets will shred almost anything thanks to their radius and plentiful ammunition. Finally, as blasterfire is not hitscan (it's either not hitscan or the rate of fire is too low for an automatic weapon), so minor lag combined with a strafing enemy results in almost nobody getting killed by blaster, but instead by grenade and launched explosive.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?