Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

but I still hope that someday my dream of a good, online cooperative Metroid game comes about.

Is that really a good idea? I've only played the first two Metroid Prime games so I'm hardly an expert on the series, but from everything that I've seen and read, Metroid is at its best when it emphasizes that atmosphere of being completely alone in a strange world. Even if it goes the Portal 2 route, with co-op being an entirely different campaign, I can't see co-op multiplayer working out any better for Metroid than it did for Dead Space or Mass Effect.

Ehh...Miiverse could have been a great idea, but honestly it's still FAR inferior to almost every internet forum out there. I think only the official LEGO forums are worse than Miiverse, quite honestly.

Good point about free online, though, I'd forgotten that point.

I'm pretty sure Xbox was the first to do the whole dedicated system-wide gamerscore thing, actually. As much as I abhor Xbox, I have to admit, that was a pretty smart move.

At least Miiverse doesn't have a history of censoring out "that one video site".

The thing is though, Metroid isn't Mass Effect.

Metroid is all about making the player feel like a mouse in a maze. It's all about claustrophobia. It's basically Alien: The Game.

Mass Effect is a sprawling homage to 70s/80s sci fi and is based around a squad system.

hElbrZ6.gif

Actually, someone came up with a good idea for a Metroid Multiplayer kind of game

Imagine being aboard the Research Lab in Fusion, except you're just a simple Marine, sent there to defend the base (something along those lines). You're in the dark, claustrophobic halls with your friends. No radar, no way to see behind you. Ambient noises play occasionally, skittering in vents above you, a clang of something walking.

It's just you, your friend, and a ship full of monsters that can kill you very quickly. And even when you kill them, the X Parasite can still kill you.

i'd play that. i could see that being a mod for dead space, actually.

(i do want another 2D metroid though, or at least a release of Super Metroid on 3DS virtual console)

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

I agree, a new 2D Metroid would be lovely (and would fit perfectly on the 3DS).

Then there's Star Fox... I mean, the Wii Remote was (and still is) perfect for that game! You use the Wii Remote to pilot your Arwing, using the B button to fire, etc. The fact that Nintendo has still not recognized this seven years into the life of the controller is astoundingly painful.

Also, what are the thoughts on Titanfall and the announcements regarding multiplayer?

Star Fox needs to return, along with F-Zero. I don't really see why either of those should have skipped a generation.

Also, is Star Fox 64 difficult, or do I just REALLY SUCK at it?

Anyways, I like 2D Metroid (only one I haven't played is fusion), but I really don't like 2D Zelda. Probably because I grew up on OoT.

Edited by Terminus

Also, what are the thoughts on Titanfall and the announcements regarding multiplayer?

Looks like Cawadooty with robot skins. I like robots and all, but color me not interested. Gameplay doesn't seem anything special, and the lack of single player doesn't endear me.

hElbrZ6.gif

Personally, I think if they make another Metroid game, it should be part 2.5d (Other M, but geared more towards 2D) and part FPS, the way Galaxy successfully merged 2D and 3D gameplay for Mario.

Also, they should kill off Samus.

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

...Except it did wonderfully for Mass Effect.

Just being functional doesn't make something good. ME3's multiplayer manages to convey absolutely nothing about Mass Effect other than its basic gameplay; take away the alien races and you wouldn't even know it ever was Mass Effect. And that's not even getting into the microtransactions, or the ways it negatively impacted the single player. Not my idea of wonderful.

Seriously, before ME3 did anyone look at Mass Effect and go "you know what this Space Opera / Action RPG series is missing? Horde mode."

Actually, someone came up with a good idea for a Metroid Multiplayer kind of game

Imagine being aboard the Research Lab in Fusion, except you're just a simple Marine, sent there to defend the base (something along those lines). You're in the dark, claustrophobic halls with your friends. No radar, no way to see behind you. Ambient noises play occasionally, skittering in vents above you, a clang of something walking.

It's just you, your friend, and a ship full of monsters that can kill you very quickly. And even when you kill them, the X Parasite can still kill you.

I'd play that. i could see that being a mod for dead space, actually.

See, this right here is an example of multiplayer understanding its core game.

...why?

..i see the nintendo discussion is still going on

...why?

In a tired old series like Metroid, switching up protagonists is often a great way to kickstart the series. That's why people haven't gotten tired of Metal Gear Solid or Assassin's Creed.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

...why?

In a tired old series like Metroid, switching up protagonists is often a great way to kickstart the series. That's why people haven't gotten tired of Metal Gear Solid or Assassin's Creed.

Yeah but the downside of killing off characters in long-established series like Metroid is that it has a massive chance of backfiring. As much as Nintendo likes to mess with their franchises and go out of the box every now and then? They still err on the safe side for stuff like that.

hElbrZ6.gif

Star Fox 64 was so easy!

Personally, I think if they make another Metroid game, it should be part 2.5d (Other M, but geared more towards 2D) and part FPS, the way Galaxy successfully merged 2D and 3D gameplay for Mario.

Uh... why?

And I'd be opposed to merging the two types of gameplay. I still feel merging 2D and 3D Mario is what (in the long run) killed the series for me, and I actually liked both types of Mario games. Now there is Metroid, a series which I can't bring myself to enjoy any of the 2D entries of, so, at least for me, that sounds like an awful idea.

...why?

Nintendo discussion is still going on because, like it or not, Nintendo is popular. The DS is JUST behind the PS2 in terms of worldwide sales, and is MILES above the 3rd place option (which is also Nintendo). And, like it or not, Nintendo games are great. If you disagree, and think EVERY Nintendo game sucks, then honestly, it's less a matter of opinion and more a matter of lack of experience. Do yourself a favor, and go play Mario 64. Go play Ocarina of Time. I don't care if it's on legit hardware or a ROM, go play them.. Don't use a guide, and just explore. Have fun with them. It's like virtually nothing you will play on Playstation.

Switching up protagonists would be a bad idea for a series like that, IMO. It works in Zelda games (there are about eleven different Links throughout the 16 or so games), but something a little more rooted in plot doesn't seem like it would mesh well with completely killing of the main (and basically the only) character.

And people haven't gotten tired of Assassin's Creed? I've seen enough negative reception to understand that III was kinda mixed. I haven't looked into IV, and still am interested in II, II-2, and II-3, but III was tedious.

Star Fox 64 was so easy!

I thought so. I can easily get through the first 3/4 of the game, but I've never actually beaten it. I kinda would've liked saves in that game, one of the reasons I don't play it enought to get any better is because I always have to restart from the beginning...

...why?

That, and quite frankly Samus simply has too much backstory at this point. It's like trying to watch later seasons of Star Trek, or introducing books from the most recent Star Wars Expanded Universe series to people who have only seen the movies; there's a level of continuity lockout involved that will leave new fans lost. If you, the player, didn't have a personal history with Ridley, his foreshadowing in Fusion loses quite a bit of impact, and is downright nonsensical in Other M. (Not to say it wasn't nonsensical in Other M even to series veterans, but it sort of made sense in an 'ohh, now I get it' way when it came time for the boss fight.) If you, the player, didn't rescue the baby metroid in Metroid II, and/or didn't experience that whole arc in Super Metroid, the references to the baby metroid are lost on you. (A friend of mine who'd only played Zero Mission and Fusion was totally mystified when the latter mentioned that Samus had been saved by the baby metroid "again": "So she's been injected with metroid DNA before, then?" "No, this was the first time." "So how did it save her before, then? Did she set it loose on the Space Pirates or something?" "No, it literally saved her from death and died trying to protect her." *cue incoherent mass of "bu...wha...?" intermingled with gratuitous confused swearing* )

Additionally, Samus is a wanted woman after the events of Fusion. That limits a lot of story options that would otherwise be open to her--granted, the series is about ending up alone in a horribly dangerous place with only yourself to rely on, but look at Prime 3, or Fusion, or even Other M; none would be possible if Samus was a fugitive. She would literally have to be completely alone for the entire game--unless the focus shifted to revolve around her fugitive status. I doubt it would work for her to foil the conspiracy within the Federation and clear her reputation, either, as that would end up more fanfic-y than Other M and The Force Unleashed II combined.

For my money, I see "Metroid: Omega Mission" as a tale of Samus' last days, interspersed with numerous playable flashbacks of her previous missions (a proper homage to the character before killing her, if you will), closing with a touching and heroic death that passes the torch on to her successor. (I'd like to see Antony become the new hero, he's a good character--the best thing to come out of Other M. Additionally, it could provide a good way for him to attack the conspiracy from the inside in future titles--especially if The Conspiracy ends up being responsible for Samus' death.)

Edited by Flipz

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

So in Video Game General, we should stop talking about Nintendo, just because you don't like them very much?

That's about as logical as me telling off everyone who mentioned Sony or Microsoft consoles. We are free to talk about anything here, so long as it's video game related. And yes, Nintendo do make games.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Yeah but the downside of killing off characters in long-established series like Metroid is that it has a massive chance of backfiring. As much as Nintendo likes to mess with their franchises and go out of the box every now and then? They still err on the safe side for stuff like that.

Uh... why?

And I'd be opposed to merging the two types of gameplay. I still feel merging 2D and 3D Mario is what (in the long run) killed the series for me, and I actually liked both types of Mario games. Now there is Metroid, a series which I can't bring myself to enjoy any of the 2D entries of, so, at least for me, that sounds like an awful idea.

...why?

Switching up protagonists would be a bad idea for a series like that, IMO. It works in Zelda games (there are about eleven different Links throughout the 16 or so games), but something a little more rooted in plot doesn't seem like it would mesh well with completely killing of the main (and basically the only) character.

Let me also point out that they successfully killed the lead of the Alien franchise, which Metroid borrows heavily from, and if they could make Samus' death an homage, it would be all the better.

I honestly think the transition thing could work. The best 2D/3D transitions in Galaxy happened when it was a complete area change (i.e. Mario goes through a pipe and now the level's in 2D). Since Metroid is naturally broken up into different rooms, the transition can happen very smoothly and naturally, without having to be forced.

The real reason I'd like a combination, though, is that I'd prefer more platforming action in a 2D environment (I have yet to encounter a 3D platformer game where I actually enjoyed the platformer elements) and combat in a first-person 3D environment like Prime. Obviously, the two can overlap a little, but that's basically the design distinction I'd want between the two modes.

Well, I have a question to ask everyone then:

What was the first game to actually scare you in any form or fashion? I played Metroid: Fusion when I was 8, and compared to what I usually played which wasn't even close to being scary or ominous or anything that could instill fear...

yeah

SA-X scared me so much i remained petrified of it until i beat fusion recently because my old copy got stolen. but when i finally killed it i felt SO FREAKING SATISFIED

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

What was the first game to actually scare you in any form or fashion? I played Metroid: Fusion when I was 8, and compared to what I usually played which wasn't even close to being scary or ominous or anything that could instill fear...

yeah

SA-X scared me so much i remained petrified of it until i beat fusion recently because my old copy got stolen. but when i finally killed it i felt SO FREAKING SATISFIED

First game to scare me?

Wait for it...

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

No joke.

More specifically, this boss. It gave me nightmares for like, a day. Then I got over it, moved on, and loved the game to death.

stop being mad guys its been like 3 pages of nintendo discussion thats like 3 pages of discussion i can't really add to which is annoying considering this is like, the only thread on this site i talk in

Well, either start playing Nintendo, or start talking about something else. Like, do you expect all of us to just stop talking so you can discuss generic shooters? Feel free to post whatever you want gaming here, we won't stop you.

yeah

First scary thing in a game? The Space Kooks in Scooby Doo: Night of 100 Frights. You could kill them, but they would respawn. The only other unkillable enemy was the Ghost, which just moved on set paths, and thus, didn't bother me, but those guys would follow you and shoot at you. To this day, their laugh STILL causes me to shiver a bit.

Now, scariest thing ever has got to be the first time I saw Colossus #10's face in Shadow of the Colossus. I think I actually dropped my controller. Not to spoil it for anyone, but I was just running from it, and it had previously had it's face hidden, so when I turned around the camera to get a good look at the face that was now INCHES away from my character, I kinda freaked.

Minecraft also scares me, on the rare occasion I play it. I suck at combat, and hearing those growls in those caves freaks me out.

What was the first game to actually scare you in any form or fashion?

I played a demo of Extermination when I was ten. Yeah, that was a mistake...

If anyone here is a fan of John Carpenter's The Thing, I highly recommend Extermination; it's heavily inspired by it and is just a great Survival Horror game in general.

What was the first game to actually scare you in any form or fashion?

Earthbound. Giygas. 'Nuff said.

This. Earthbound was a tad bit disturbing. It wasn't till recently I discovered the creator inspiration for making that game was even more disturbing.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Minecraft has always scared me the most. Especially in my "noob" days, when I was terrible at combat and terrified of the mobs; since then, it's just those blasted creepy cave noises, the jump-scare of a creeper exploding suddenly, or just the occasional moment where I realize that I am truly alone in this endless world.

E: I should note that I am not one for horror games.

Edited by Freelancer Tex

Ohai, this topic is a thing. No one told me. :c

The earliest memory I have of being scared in a video game was in Metroid Prime, in the Pirate bases. All those invisible Pirates freaked me out a bit. And the one visible one that popped out of the vent in the Mines.

I can't think of a truly frightening, post-childhood video game experience, however. There have been times where it was mildly creepy; the demo of Amnesia, the first couple of chapters in Dead Space (Though the rest of the game quickly lost me. I blame the excessive amounts of blood and gore at every turn; they make the game very scary at first, but when you become desensitized to them, it has nothing else to throw at you, besides jump scares). There have also, of course, been times where I was afraid, but not so much of the game, as of dying when I was so close to achieving a goal, especially one I had previously found nearly impossible. I'm looking to buy some decent horror games next time I come into money, though, likely including the full version of the aforementioned Amnesia.

I think I could make a pretty good horror game. If I ever get into game design, I'll have to try.

- :burnmad:

First game to scare me? Probably Ski Free, when the monster jumps out from behind the tree. :P

In terms of a more visceral fear, maybe Super Mario 64 with the mad piano. Getting the Game Over scene when I saved and quit Banjo Kazooie also gave me a sense of dread, and the "get out" countdown in Donkey Kong 64 made me want to do nothing but that.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

And now for something completely different...

It seems like whenever I get a given game or system, the moment I put in the disc/cartridge/whatever, everyone else on the planet seems to have stopped playing it. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? If so, why does this happen? :P

yeah

Halo.

Space zombies are very scary when you are eight. And still scary when you're older.

@iHodor, I know that there are several Cthulhu games, but I think only one is a real survival-horror game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

yeah

yeah

Halo.

Space zombies are very scary when you are eight. And still scary when you're older.

@iHodor, I know that there are several Cthulhu games, but I think only one is a real survival-horror game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth

First game that scared me was Donkey Kong 64. I was super young, had no idea how to play and there were big blue beavers and giant bees....yeah

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

And now for something completely different...

It seems like whenever I get a given game or system, the moment I put in the disc/cartridge/whatever, everyone else on the planet seems to have stopped playing it. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? If so, why does this happen? :P

Yeah. I got into Fire Emblem right after everyone else stopped hyping about it. I get some games opening day, but most games I get months, or even years, after they were released.

The only game I ever bought on opening day was Super Smash Bros. Brawl; I'll probably do the same thing with both versions of the new game. That said, I was only a few days late for Super Mario Galaxy 2 due to transportation issues, and the only reason I missed The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds was because I got paid the following day and ordered the 3DS XL bundle online.