Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Fire Emblem is basically A Song of Ice and Fire by Nintendo. Has just as much incest, at least.

Incest? What Fire Emblem have you been playing!?!

I admit, there is kinda pedophilia with whoever you pair up with Nowi, and despite Ceada, we all know Marth was a flaming homosexual, but I doubt Nintendo has dove into incest yet.

@above: so it is a song of ice and fire for children, then.

If you are joking, could you use an emoticon of some kind to indicate it? Otherwise I'm going to have to assume that you are serious!

And no, there's language and sex (off screen, but it's still there!) and a lot of death in Fire Emblem. And there is blood when you use the move "Lethality". It's pretty mature. Now, the American ones are censored when compared to the Japanese ones, but they still aren't exactly kids games. More like 10-13 age for the American releases.

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

Fire Emblem is basically A Song of Ice and Fire by Nintendo. Has just as much incest, at least.

Incest? What Fire Emblem have you been playing!?!

I admit, there is kinda pedophilia with whoever you pair up with Nowi, and despite Ceada, we all know Marth was a flaming homosexual, but I doubt Nintendo has dove into incest yet.

Dude, Fire Emblem is notorious for having a ton of incest. (warning: TvTropes)

Especially the Jugdral games, with Seisen no Keifu especially. Where it's a plot point.

Edited by iHodor

hElbrZ6.gif

I wouldn't say "Nintendo is for kids" (Pokemon is the only Nintendo franchise I can think of that's consistently aimed at kids with the games/shows/merch/etc.), but more family-friendly, and people often confuse the two. Of course, all of the stupid censorship Nintendo does (most notably Fire Emblem, and recently the new Chibi-Robo) can give the impression that Ninty is Kiddiefying their games or whatever (although I will argue that the censored FE DLC looks much more lewd than the original). Anyways, yeah, that's my two cents.

Also, I had some friends over today, and one of them brought over his 360, and we all had a blast with Black Ops 2. I'm not great at CoD (I think I have a .6 KDR in MW2, which I rarely play anymore), but it really is a fun party game- much more fun with a bunch of guys in the same room with Doritos and Mountain Dew than online by yourself.

Also @Flipz: You using the Mobile skin (you can toggle it on/off at the bottom of the page)? That works much better than the normal skin on the 3DS.

Heh. Pokemon may be marketed to kids, but it's not exactly ideal. :P The anime has some...disturbing elements to it, the manga even more so (seriously, it's more than just unsettling), and the games...well, the games aren't exactly objectionable, but their mechanics are...how shall I put this..."some assembly required". :P (Also note that Pokemon is one of three Nintendo franchises that I can think of that could legitimately be considered a sport, the other two being Smash Bros and Mario Kart.)

Bottom line though, censorship is very, VERY rarely done well. IMO, unless your artistic skill is on par with the original artist, slap a higher rating on the thing and be done with it--and in any case, it's extremely questionable with regards to respect for the original artist's intention. For my money, if I made something and the people in charge of exporting it to other cultures asked me to alter some aspects that might be considered objectionable in another culture, we could have an intelligent, reasonable conversation about it. If it was just done without consulting me, though, it'd be a slap in the face--in some cases, I'd rather let the thing have a higher rating and allow my artistic message to remain intact. (I have strong and often contradictory feelings on this topic, in case you couldn't tell. :P )

With regards to the 3DS, I've tried it, but the profile blocks and signatures in mobile mode are absolutely unbearable--I can't even tell who posted what sometimes. I guess I could deal with it when I need to edit a post, but it could never be my main browsing mode. :/

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Heh. Pokemon may be marketed to kids, but it's not exactly ideal. :P The anime has some...disturbing elements to it, the manga even more so (seriously, it's more than just unsettling), and the games...well, the games aren't exactly objectionable, but their mechanics are...how shall I put this..."some assembly required". :P (Also note that Pokemon is one of three Nintendo franchises that I can think of that could legitimately be considered a sport, the other two being Smash Bros and Mario Kart.)

Oddly enough, there is like, no competitive community at all for Mario Kart.

Honestly, though, as much as I am against censorship? There are times where it really is needed. Like Bravely Default getting some of the more lewd costumes removed because the artstyle makes the cast look like toddlers.

Though I wish they hadn't altered the text to remove innuendos. How bad could they possibly have been?

And there was no incest in the games I played (Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Awakening).

BTW, your profile picture reminds me of Jhonen Vasquez's work. Either Invader ZIM or Johnny the Homicidal Maniac?

Honestly, though, as much as I am against censorship? There are times where it really is needed. Like Bravely Default getting some of the more lewd costumes removed because the artstyle makes the cast look like toddlers.

Though I wish they hadn't altered the text to remove innuendos. How bad could they possibly have been?

And there was no incest in the games I played (Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Awakening).

BTW, your profile picture reminds me of Jhonen Vasquez's work. Either Invader ZIM or Johnny the Homicidal Maniac?

I think they went overboard with that, yeah. Wonder how bad they were.

Yeah, I haven't played PoR or Awakening yet. Might grab 'em some time.

It's Johnny's last minute cameo in Squee! #4. Great comic, better than IZ and I Feel Sick but not as good as Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

hElbrZ6.gif

Can't you make Lucina and Owain marry in Awakening? And they're cousins. Though I heard NOA censored their title to 'Companions' rather than 'Husband and Wife'.

Still plodding away at those achievements in KI: U. Been thinking about getting A Link Between Worlds too. The gameplay seems fun, and the 60 fps graphics look absolutely delicious,

Edited by Zero: Maverick Hunter

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Nintendo is for kids.

No offense, but you don't see people playing Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, GTA, or Halo on a Wii.

World At War and Black Ops are two modern CoD titles I can think of that were on the Wii. Battlefield was considered but the devs said the porting would be too costly. Assassin's Creed 4 is on the Wii U. GTA V isn't even on the PC at the moment, though admittedly is more or less confirmed. Halo is owned by Microsoft; you will not see it release on a platform Microsoft does not own.

I hate to say it but you really walked into that one.

Have you ever played a Wii-port of a big console game?

Try The Force Unleashed or Call of Duty on the Wii... it's not pleasant. It just doesn't work and is a thousand times more inferior than elsewhere.

I'm not making this up - I owned a Wii until I eventually realized that I didn't enjoy it as much as I felt I should enjoy a console.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Funny you mention the Force Unleashed, I actually own that. It's not particularly the finest but it does work. I do understand where you're coming from though, the Wii got some pretty terrible ports. You'll notice, however, that I wasn't passing judgement on the quality of those ports, merely that they existed and thus severely weakened his underlying argument.

I'm not sure why I'd assume you were making it up, the Wii has a reputation for getting the short end of the development stick, for a variety of reasons.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Am I the only one who thoroughly enjoyed that game? Like it had the problem it was pretty repetitive at times and that was kinda terrible but the combat was still solid, the story was solid, it wasn't the greatest thing ever but it was fairly good. Yet everyone I talk to loaths it.

Edited by Strategist Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

The Force Unleashed was a godawful fanfic- more so than most of the EU- that played like a poor man's God of War. I actually got a free copy of that for PS2 when I got a used Slim unit when my original died. Still feel ripped off.

So what are y'all playing now? I'm almost done Awakening, and have started to tackle Uncharted 2.

Funnily enough, I'm also playing an Awakening. Dragon Age Awakening, to be exact.

Pretty... ehhhh. It doesn't have the same charm as DAO did, which embraced how it was almost Forgotten Realms-levels of kitchen sink fantasy and told a pretty fun, if generic, storyline. Writing kinda goes to the bad end of things whenever the Chantry/Mage thing gets brought up, too.

hElbrZ6.gif

Am I the only one who thoroughly enjoyed that game? Like it had the problem it was pretty repetitive at times and that was kinda terrible but the combat was still solid, the story was solid, it wasn't the greatest thing ever but it was fairly good. Yet everyone I talk to loaths it.

I actually thought it was decent. I got the second one for my birthday a couple years ago, but it's still in the packaging. Is it worth opening?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

No, no it really isn't. Horribly short, same old combat system, a story that actually is terrible fanfic, and in general not at all an improvement on the original. The combat did see a few new options but nothing that actually changed the game.

voidstars.png

So what are y'all playing now? I'm almost done Awakening, and have started to tackle Uncharted 2.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, I'm finding it REALLY annoying that I'm STILL getting forced to watch tutorials over halfway through the game. Otherwise, not bad.

I've been playing through that too - the tutorials are horrible. I spend over an hour before I felt like I was actually being allowed to play the game.

I've even said "no" to tutorials and still been forced to do the tutorial. I mean, I get that RPGs can be complex and all, but even if I was new to the franchise I'd balk at all this forcefed handholding. Combine that with a story that still feels weak at this point in time... the only things keeping me playing this game are the music, the photo mini game, and the Massif Bros.

Oh boy. This is a tough decision. How difficult are the Big Daddies in 1? Is it like difficult where you sigh and huff and puff or is it difficult to the point where you throw your fist into the tv?

its difficult where you grit your teeth and pull up your socks, where even if you're doing well you feel like you're constantly in danger and need to be careful. only for the first few, towards the end of the game (as is always the case) you get supar strong and they become less challening and more of a chore.

And no, there's language and sex (off screen, but it's still there!) and a lot of death in Fire Emblem. And there is blood when you use the move "Lethality". It's pretty mature. Now, the American ones are censored when compared to the Japanese ones

i was joking but it was one of those smart jokes where it's both a joke, and correct. FE may be mature but it's not as mature as ASIOF, based on that description, so it isn't inaccurate to call it ASIOF for kids.

GoT has all of the stuff you just mentioned, but in addition to it, it has and execution and slavery and self mutilation and some stuff i don't even wanna talk about. and it has a lot of the stuff you mentioned.

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Would you like to see a tutorial?

>No.

Are you sure?

>Yes.

Are you really sure?

>Yes.

Okay then. Here's a refresher on how to do absolutely everything.

Five minutes later...

And that's how you press the A button to jump!

^what Dream Team's tutorials feel like to me. Mildly exaggerated, but... You get the point.

I was absolutely overjoyed when I ran into a Luigination that didn't have a freaking tutorial.

I like it much better when games give you a two-minute tutorial level explaining the basics in the beginning, and, if needed, optional basic instructional pop-ups that you can skip/close. What make the M&L games such bad offenders of tutorials is that all the games play the exact freaking same.

My problem with Dream Team is the Expert Challenges, gosh-hoo if those aren't a pain in the hoo, but they're hoo'in addictive as well.

(Guess what verbal tic I find particularly obnoxious? :P )

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Well, turns out that the folks over at Nintendo didn't really have any experience using Live/PSN, so it's not really surprising that their online still isn't up to par with last-gen consoles. (article here) Since they're creating a competitor to these systems, you'd think they'd familiarize themselves with some of the features of these systems that are so popular, right?

This explains why the WiiU doesn't have achievements/trophies/whatever.

Tutorials aren't as much of a royal pain in the arse, when the game drops you into normal gameplay and gives you info on how to do this or that, instead of making you learn to do every single tiny activity in the game in one sitting.

But I'm not so sure what the appeal of Achievements are. Maybe to inform you of how you're doing? Because I find them addicting.

Edited by The Dapper Man

Morally unambiguous.

Well, turns out that the folks over at Nintendo didn't really have any experience using Live/PSN, so it's not really surprising that their online still isn't up to par with last-gen consoles. (article here) Since they're creating a competitor to these systems, you'd think they'd familiarize themselves with some of the features of these systems that are so popular, right?

Their online isn't bad anymore. It's the only console out there that still offers free online, and Miiverse is one of the best ideas I've seen out of them in a while.

The lack of trophies is pretty stupid though. I hope they can add in support later. Was it Sony or Microsoft who originally didn't have a system like that and then added it in with an update? Or am I crazy?

It astounds me how Nintendo manages to get some network stuff right (seriously, the Pokemon Player Search System (PSS) is AMAZING and smart and the 3DS friend code system isn't too bad, either) while still getting others wrong. I mean, seriously, you *have* to have at least SOME people playing the competition, if only to find things you can point at and laugh about later in your E3 press conference. [/sonyE3LastYear]

That said, I don't see anything wrong with designing your console around power efficiency and low noise--for my money, that's a boon, really. This fetish the gaming community seems to have for "moar graphics power!" is irritating and detrimental to games in general. I'd much rather have something that's smooth and polished and fun to play than something that's super-realistic with state-of-the-art graphics in 2160p resolution that controls like Epic Mickey (which would have been an AMAZING game if they'd stopped mucking about with making it look pretty and spent more time polishing the actual gameplay and physics engine). I also think well-written code is an important tenet if you're going for the "reliable and friendly" philosophy, but considering how insular Nintendo gets, we're pretty lucky we got 2/3 on that front.

Their online isn't bad anymore. It's the only console out there that still offers free online, and Miiverse is one of the best ideas I've seen out of them in a while.

The lack of trophies is pretty stupid though. I hope they can add in support later. Was it Sony or Microsoft who originally didn't have a system like that and then added it in with an update? Or am I crazy?

Ehh...Miiverse could have been a great idea, but honestly it's still FAR inferior to almost every internet forum out there. I think only the official LEGO forums are worse than Miiverse, quite honestly.

Good point about free online, though, I'd forgotten that point.

I'm pretty sure Xbox was the first to do the whole dedicated system-wide gamerscore thing, actually. As much as I abhor Xbox, I have to admit, that was a pretty smart move.

Edited by Flipz

At this point it's become difficult to imagine a Nintendo console with a good online network in place (one that's, you know, up to par with the competition or better), but I still hope that someday my dream of a good, online cooperative Metroid game comes about.

Unfortunately, Nintendo seems keen on ignoring everything but Mario and Zelda at this point in time, and even the rare titles that aren't in those series are either delayed constantly (Pikmin 3, DK Tropical Freeze) or become overloaded with Mario and Zelda anyway (Super Smash Bros. 4, which is still going to be amazing regardless).

They've been especially milking the Mario series. Give him a break! Jeeze! I thought the last good Mario game was Galaxy 1 (I know pretty much everyone else loved Galaxy 2, but I found it boring and pretty mediocre), and even Galaxy 1 didn't strike me as being as good as my nostalgic Mario 64 or Sunshine, which I played years later. But since Galaxy 2, they gave us a ridiculously easy 3D platformer with about 12 levels that were constantly reused, an unispired sidescroller that somehow managed to have an awful camera issue... ON A FRIGGIN' HANDHELD, ANOTHER sidescroller the same year that I couldn't even force myself to choke up the money to buy, and a follow-up to that 3D platformer which is still too easy, too boring, holds little creativity, and, to make it as bad as they possibly could, they decided to add multiplayer to the game, a mechanic they already proved doesn't work!

Despite my complaints, Mario games aren't THAT bad these days. I think my least favorite was NSMB2, which I still can't score lower than a 6.5/10. But I am just sick of all these Mario games! World was 5 years before 64, which was 6 years before Sunshine, which was another 5 years before Galaxy. Now, we have gotten annual releases since 2009, and it's just not working.

They've been especially milking the Mario series. Give him a break! Jeeze! I thought the last good Mario game was Galaxy 1 (I know pretty much everyone else loved Galaxy 2, but I found it boring and pretty mediocre), and even Galaxy 1 didn't strike me as being as good as my nostalgic Mario 64 or Sunshine, which I played years later. But since Galaxy 2, they gave us a ridiculously easy 3D platformer with about 12 levels that were constantly reused, an unispired sidescroller that somehow managed to have an awful camera issue... ON A FRIGGIN' HANDHELD, ANOTHER sidescroller the same year that I couldn't even force myself to choke up the money to buy, and a follow-up to that 3D platformer which is still too easy, too boring, holds little creativity, and, to make it as bad as they possibly could, they decided to add multiplayer to the game, a mechanic they already proved doesn't work!

Despite my complaints, Mario games aren't THAT bad these days. I think my least favorite was NSMB2, which I still can't score lower than a 6.5/10. But I am just sick of all these Mario games! World was 5 years before 64, which was 6 years before Sunshine, which was another 5 years before Galaxy. Now, we have gotten annual releases since 2009, and it's just not working.

Personally, I loved Super Mario 3D Land, which I felt returned the 3D series to its 2D roots (with less focus on realistic environments and more on trippy platforming levels). I liked the previous 3D Mario games too (with the exception of Sunshine, which I felt was too complex, too narrow in scope, and often just too WEIRD), but 3D Land was the first to perfectly convert the 2D formula to 3D. And from what I hear, 3D World takes the gameplay of 3D Land and takes it in entirely new directions. NSMB2 was pretty meh (I only managed to enjoy it by virtue of having not played a NSMB game since the first one), but I hear the Wii U version of that is also superior.

I haven't felt overwhelmed by Mario by any means. There's been some great games in the past year: Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pokémon, and Ace Attorney being some of my favorites. Yeah, there's been more Mario than any of those, but that hasn't exactly left me starved for anything else to play. So while I'd like a new Metroid as much as the next guy (especially a 2D one), there are plenty of games for Nintendo consoles these days that I can enjoy, not even including the years worth of a backlog I can draw from (this past year I played through the entire Ace Attorney series and am currently working on doing the same with Professor Layton).

One last note regarding tutorials. I've never really minded those in games, and I hate when they aren't there. In RPGs like the Mario & Luigi series I always play through the tutorial even if I don't need to, since they often contain humorous or self-aware dialogue. And when I'm new to a series or platform, tutorials can be a godsend. It's true that a lot of the best games (especially platformers) have no need for tutorials, with the gameplay teaching the player as they play, but a lot of more complex games can't afford to do that, and there's nothing more aggravating than getting stuck in a game because I've gotten to a point in the game where a rarely-required skill finally is necessary to advance.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I've yet to play Other M. I'm not really a huge Metroid fan, so I might be able to live with the story, although I can't remmber much from reviews about gameplay.

Another reason I'm interested in it is because of Team Ninja, really enjoy their games.

Anyways, my problem with there being so many Mario games isn't that there are so many of them, it's just that they're just getting pumped out so much that none of them are any good anymore, with the occasional exeption of some of the spinoffs.

Also, my most played games on my 3DS aren't even first-party Nintendo games. The 3DS third-party library has a bit more to offer than Nintendo's, IMO.

Edited by Terminus

Definitely get Awakening if you are a fan of Fire Emblem. It's the best one I've played, and pretty much everyone is saying it's the best in the series.

I've gotten back into a bit of TF2 (mostly idling) and Dawn of War II: Retribution (Last Stand).

I agree that tutorials often feel lackluster. I like it when the game either throws you into it right away and teaches you as you go (Halo 4) or works the tutorial seamlessly into the story so that even though you're not really playing, it feels like it makes sense (Halo 2 came to mind).

Personally, I loved Super Mario 3D Land, which I felt returned the 3D series to its 2D roots (with less focus on realistic environments and more on trippy platforming levels). I liked the previous 3D Mario games too (with the exception of Sunshine, which I felt was too complex, too narrow in scope, and often just too WEIRD), but 3D Land was the first to perfectly convert the 2D formula to 3D. And from what I hear, 3D World takes the gameplay of 3D Land and takes it in entirely new directions. NSMB2 was pretty meh (I only managed to enjoy it by virtue of having not played a NSMB game since the first one), but I hear the Wii U version of that is also superior.

The core gameplay wasn't that bad, but the design was just lazy. How many times would you replay the same level just trying to beat the final boss? If you exclude the 8 bonus worlds, each level was played through about 2-3 times. I couldn't believe what Nintendo tried to pull there for a $40 game.

Sunshine seems to be quite mixed. I actually like the game's bad voice acting, it was kinda funny, and the fact that it actually HAD a plot was welcome to me (though still not as good as the storybook in Galaxy). As for the actual gameplay, I just loved the puzzle-adventure style of it. I feel it lacked some polish compared to Mario 64, as the controls seemed a bit off at times, but I'll respect your opinion.

3D World, in single player, is just more levels for 3D Land (which the game desperately needed). In multiplayer, it is a chaotic mess with no focus.

Definitely get Awakening if you are a fan of Fire Emblem. It's the best one I've played, and pretty much everyone is saying it's the best in the series.

I've gotten back into a bit of TF2 (mostly idling) and Dawn of War II: Retribution (Last Stand).

I agree that tutorials often feel lackluster. I like it when the game either throws you into it right away and teaches you as you go (Halo 4) or works the tutorial seamlessly into the story so that even though you're not really playing, it feels like it makes sense (Halo 2 came to mind).

I'd love to get into TF2, but my internet is preventing me. I can render pretty much any game with near-max specs, but when trying to play any game online with friends, I get like 3 frames a second. Probably has something to do with the whole "I don't have a wireless card and have been using a free USB dongle".