Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

There was free L4D2 on steam yesterday. I missed it. D:

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

its campaign is like 15 hours, which is about two or three sittings. you just don't want to put it down. i felt the same way

anyway i got bioshock infinite as part of the boxing day sale. i'm reserving judgement til i beat it. i'm also convinced i've figured out the twist ending already.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

its campaign is like 15 hours, which is about two or three sittings. you just don't want to put it down. i felt the same way

anyway i got bioshock infinite as part of the boxing day sale. i'm reserving judgement til i beat it. i'm also convinced i've figured out the twist ending already.

Bioshock Infinite is an excellent FPS. However, the actual FPS element is not as good as in pure FPS games, such as Halo or Counterstrike, so be warned. The story and fun-factor easily make up for the relatively bland shooting.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I think at least 90% of people who finish The Last Of Us say it's amazing. It's one of the few games I'd almost say is worth buying a console for.

Anyways OMG I JUST MET POPPLE IN MARIO & LUIGI DREAM TEAM!!! That really just made my day. Loving all the cameos/references from past M&L games, they're almost enough to make up for the lack of Fawful. Not quite, but almost.

Edited by Terminus

I think at least 90% of people who finish The Last Of Us say it's amazing. It's one of the few games I'd almost say is worth buying a console for.

The only reason I got a Wii U was because Smash Bros. I'll certainly play and probably love Zelda HD and Yarn Yoshi, but nothing else on the console interests me at the moment. The only reason I got a PS3 was Uncharted (which, ironically enough, I haven't even opened yet), the only game I own on Dreamcast is still Sonic Adventure, I built a PC JUST to run LA Noire (well, not really, I kinda also needed a computer and knew I wasn't going to be able to buy an HD 7th Gen Console AND a new computer, so I had to compromise), got a DS just for New Super Mario Bros., etc.

It would seem that most of my consoles were bought for just one game, and I happened to enjoy others along the way.

Bioshock Infinite is an excellent FPS. However, the actual FPS element is not as good as in pure FPS games, such as Halo or Counterstrike, so be warned. The story and fun-factor easily make up for the relatively bland shooting.

i disagree almost entirely

also, fun factor making up for bland shooting is an oxymoron.

@ghoti: i'm sorta embarassed to say i actually haven't played it since i last mentioned it. i wanted to blaze through uncharted 2 before i got to it, then i got bioshock and wanted to blaze through it while i was still in shooting mode. once i finish bioshock i'm going to revisit it, i feel sorta bad i haven't played it more yet.

Edited by The God of War

i disagree almost entirely

also, fun factor making up for bland shooting is an oxymoron.

I inaccurately used fun-factor is a blanket term for the other gameplay features of the game - the various Vigors, Elizabeth's tears, and the small nuggets of bonus content and loot hidden throughout the game.

To me, the shooting is bland because most of the weapons are not particularly unique (Founder Shotgun, Machine Gun, Repeater, RPG, Crank Gun) and there really aren't enough different types of them to make them... I was going somewhere with that last part, that they needed more kinds of weapon... I suppose more weapons means more variety and different ways to complete a level based on what you like. In BioShock Infinite, the selection feels a little limited to me.

Regardless, you've reminded me that I might want to finally finish that campaign.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

@ghoti: i'm sorta embarassed to say i actually haven't played it since i last mentioned it. i wanted to blaze through uncharted 2 before i got to it, then i got bioshock and wanted to blaze through it while i was still in shooting mode. once i finish bioshock i'm going to revisit it, i feel sorta bad i haven't played it more yet.

You should be embarrassed! Why, kids these days!

I've been getting through Uncharted 1. It's a lot of fun, but a bit heavier on the shooting than I'd like. I've played through about half the 3rd one with a friend a while back, and I don't remember it being this much of a shooter.

I can't remember if the PS3 had backwards compatability or not, because a friend just gave me his collection of old games.

There were 3 models that did. The Fat 20GB had PS2 games, but couldn't use WiFi, the Fat 60GB could play PS2 games and used WiFi, and the Fat 80GB could play some PS2 games with minor glitches. All of these models are pretty expensive on eBay.

I feel the need to gush for Kid Icarus: Uprising again.

Aaaagh the gameplay is fantastic, the music is wonderful, and the dialogue is hilarious! If I amass enough games to make a Top 3DS games list, this is going near the top.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Aaaagh the gameplay is fantastic, the music is wonderful, and the dialogue is hilarious! If I amass enough games to make a Top 3DS games list, this is going near the top.

I love it too. I'm hoping it gets either a remake or sequel for Wii U, since the visuals would look even more gorgeous in HD, and the standard two control sticks could provide an alternative for those who disliked the control scheme of the original. It could even feature split-screen multiplayer! Alas, there's been no word on a return to the Kid Icarus franchise since Uprising.

Of course, it'd be hard to work in the equivalent of the original's Streetpass functionality, which I think is another great feature. Uprising utilizes maybe one of my favorite uses of Streetpass. Some games like Super Mario 3D Land use it for trivial things (all 3D Land's is good for is getting extra Star Coins, which are already plentiful in the game). Some use it for aspects of the game so deep that it's impossible to clear them out (like Fire Emblem: Awakening, where fighting a new team is almost always the most rewarding action yet it takes forever, or NSMB2 where you get Coin Rush scores to beat, Coin Rush being a bear to complete at the best of times). But it doesn't take long to evaluate and either store or discard weapon gems in Uprising, and a gem for an above-average weapon still feels rewarding even when it's been weeks since I've played the game.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That and Awakening are the only 3DS games to genuinely impress me so far (OoT doesn't count).

I love it too. I'm hoping it gets either a remake or sequel for Wii U, since the visuals would look even more gorgeous in HD, and the standard two control sticks could provide an alternative for those who disliked the control scheme of the original. It could even feature split-screen multiplayer! Alas, there's been no word on a return to the Kid Icarus franchise since Uprising.

Of course, it'd be hard to work in the equivalent of the original's Streetpass functionality, which I think is another great feature. Uprising utilizes maybe one of my favorite uses of Streetpass. Some games like Super Mario 3D Land use it for trivial things (all 3D Land's is good for is getting extra Star Coins, which are already plentiful in the game). Some use it for aspects of the game so deep that it's impossible to clear them out (like Fire Emblem: Awakening, where fighting a new team is almost always the most rewarding action yet it takes forever, or NSMB2 where you get Coin Rush scores to beat, Coin Rush being a bear to complete at the best of times). But it doesn't take long to evaluate and either store or discard weapon gems in Uprising, and a gem for an above-average weapon still feels rewarding even when it's been weeks since I've played the game.

I'd love a sequel on Wii U, but perhaps add a bit more to the game in terms of gameplay depth? Dungeons or something? As long as it fit within the Uprising spirit, I wouldn't mind changes.

Fire Emblem and NSMB2 were the only games I've enjoyed StreetPass in, other than the Mii Plaza thing. And since I don't ever want to touch NSMB2 again, it's just Fire Emblem for me these days.

That and Awakening are the only 3DS games to genuinely impress me so far (OoT doesn't count).

Man, Awakening. I still need to finish that. I got to about the point where you start being able to recruit a lot of kids and got paralyzed by the amount of choices (both in what to do next and which classes to change people to as they got the best abilities in their current classes). I do agree that it stands almost in a class of its own.

But no love for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (which I felt actually improved and streamlined the experience from the Gamecube original)? Or Animal Crossing: New Leaf (which took the latest Animal Crossing and improved upon it while doing a better job of making it portable than the DS version)? Or the new Pokémon (which broke the polygon ceiling a lot better than Colosseum or XD did)? Or even Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (Which combined new and old features of the series along with several features to ease frustration, along with ALSO breaking the polygon ceiling)? I've been impressed (or at least satisfied) with almost all the 3DS games I've played. Mind you, I've stuck mostly to first-party stuff.

Next on my list of "3DS games to obtain" are probably the last two Professor Layton games (the latter of which comes out this spring) and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (which I heard great things about but passed when it came out because of the recently-released Animal Crossing and the then-soon-to-be released Pokémon). That Kirby game we've seen also looks great, but no telling when it'll come out. And of course, Smash Bros., whenever that happens.

Man, Awakening. I still need to finish that. I got to about the point where you start being able to recruit a lot of kids and got paralyzed by the amount of choices (both in what to do next and which classes to change people to as they got the best abilities in their current classes). I do agree that it stands almost in a class of its own.

But no love for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (which I felt actually improved and streamlined the experience from the Gamecube original)? Or Animal Crossing: New Leaf (which took the latest Animal Crossing and improved upon it while doing a better job of making it portable than the DS version)? Or the new Pokémon (which broke the polygon ceiling a lot better than Colosseum or XD did)? Or even Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (Which combined new and old features of the series along with several features to ease frustration, along with ALSO breaking the polygon ceiling)? I've been impressed (or at least satisfied) with almost all the 3DS games I've played. Mind you, I've stuck mostly to first-party stuff.

Next on my list of "3DS games to obtain" are probably the last two Professor Layton games (the latter of which comes out this spring) and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (which I heard great things about but passed when it came out because of the recently-released Animal Crossing and the then-soon-to-be released Pokémon). That Kirby game we've seen also looks great, but no telling when it'll come out. And of course, Smash Bros., whenever that happens.

I've only married Chrom and Sumia intentionally at this point. I tried to get my character to be an A with most people, then he went and married Nowi. I'm gonna marry everyone else once they are all A's with each other, and then see which couples I prefer.

Dark Moon was, to me, a bit of a disappointment. You are actually very rare; from what I've seen, the people who loved DM didn't play the original, and those who did thought Dark Moon was a little lacking. I dunno, the first game was miles better in my opinion. Not to say Dark Moon was bad, but I only rate it like 7/10, compared to the 9.7/10 I have to give the original game :P

I do want to try Phoenix Wright, but I've never seen the appeal in Animal Crossing. A few years ago, I picked up Soul Silver, and got to the second continent. I was 3 badges away before I just lost interest in the game. In general, RPGs bore me, and, unless they have a good plot or REALLY creative gameplay to drive them, I usually don't finish them.

Since Bowser's Inside Story is one of the few RPGs I HAVE beaten, I do want Dream Team. I'm indifferent to Kirby, but I wanna get my hands on that new Yoshi's Island 3DS game, and of course Smash Bros.!

Awakening was pretty much one-and-done for me, because I was pretty much only playing for the story (SRPGs aren't really my cup of tea), and you can get both endings in one run. (Slowly) working on a Lunatic playthrough, although as soon as I can access the DLC missions, I'll be grinding for EXP like mad. Anyways, I really did enjoy the story though.

I've considered picking up X/Y, but I lost all Interest in Pokemon once I actually started playing JRPGs and the only reason I'd play the games now is for nostalgia value, which SS effectively killed for me. The only way I'd play a Pokemon game now would be if the battle system got a complete overhaul (because I never liked PP anyways), if it got an actual story, and it looked good (graphics in B/W were just horrid, and I'm not a fan of X/Y's style). Of course, then it probably wouldn't be Pokemon anymore, so I'll just stick to SMT.

Bowser's Inside story < The rest of the Mario & Luigi games. I like Dream Team better than Bowser's Inside Story (except for the total lack of Fawful, which is really dissapoing because he's arguably the best Nintendo character EVER), Superstar Saga is better than Dream Team, and Partners in Time is the best.

Anyways this. THE PLAYSTATION GAME STREAMING SERVICE IS FINALLY COMING!!! The idea of possibly being able to play The Last of Us on my phone is... Kinda really exciting even though I know I'd put it down after two minutes because it would be playing a game other than Tetris or Hill Climb Racing on my cell phone.

I've only married Chrom and Sumia intentionally at this point. I tried to get my character to be an A with most people, then he went and married Nowi. I'm gonna marry everyone else once they are all A's with each other, and then see which couples I prefer.

Dark Moon was, to me, a bit of a disappointment. You are actually very rare; from what I've seen, the people who loved DM didn't play the original, and those who did thought Dark Moon was a little lacking. I dunno, the first game was miles better in my opinion. Not to say Dark Moon was bad, but I only rate it like 7/10, compared to the 9.7/10 I have to give the original game :P

I do want to try Phoenix Wright, but I've never seen the appeal in Animal Crossing. A few years ago, I picked up Soul Silver, and got to the second continent. I was 3 badges away before I just lost interest in the game. In general, RPGs bore me, and, unless they have a good plot or REALLY creative gameplay to drive them, I usually don't finish them.

Since Bowser's Inside Story is one of the few RPGs I HAVE beaten, I do want Dream Team. I'm indifferent to Kirby, but I wanna get my hands on that new Yoshi's Island 3DS game, and of course Smash Bros.!

Well, Pokémon X and Y are significantly easier (and shorter) than Soul Silver, so I doubt you'd have a problem finishing it, but if Pokémon just isn't your type of game I can't recommend it to you. Yoshi's Island is an upcoming game I had hardly considered, but I don't know if I'll get it. I loved Yoshi's Story for the Nintendo 64, but I've been turned off by the brutal difficulty of all the other Yoshi's Island games (the DS version was tolerable about until I got to the unfairly-punishing bonus stages).

Bowser's Inside story < The rest of the Mario & Luigi games. I like Dream Team better than Bowser's Inside Story (except for the total lack of Fawful, which is really dissapoing because he's arguably the best Nintendo character EVER), Superstar Saga is better than Dream Team, and Partners in Time is the best.

I'm surprised you like Partners in Time best, honestly. That one was my least favorite since it was by far the most linear game in the series (almost never requiring you to visit an old location, and relying on a "hub area" instead of featuring a proper world map). The story was a pretty decent send-up of B-movies , but it didn't come close to the complexity and number of plot twists of Superstar Saga. Bowser's Inside Story was, in my eyes, a return to form, featuring a real, developed world and a less linear plot.

My biggest complaint for Bowser's Inside Story, and even Dream Team, is the side-scrolling areas. I hate them, mainly because they feel so linear when compared to the top-down areas. They all really feel like "go from point a to point b", with no real secrets/exploration on the side. They don't completely kill the games for me, but they make me like them much less than the others.

And the two big things I thought PiT had going for it were the Bros. Attacks (by far some of my favorites in the series) and the babies. Anyways, it just barely edges out SS as my favorite, as SS is still absolutely fantastic.

Well, Pokémon X and Y are significantly easier (and shorter) than Soul Silver, so I doubt you'd have a problem finishing it, but if Pokémon just isn't your type of game I can't recommend it to you. Yoshi's Island is an upcoming game I had hardly considered, but I don't know if I'll get it. I loved Yoshi's Story for the Nintendo 64, but I've been turned off by the brutal difficulty of all the other Yoshi's Island games (the DS version was tolerable about until I got to the unfairly-punishing bonus stages).

You found Yoshi's Island (SNES and GBA) hard? I mean, they were hard to 100%, but the core wasn't that bad.

You found Yoshi's Island (SNES and GBA) hard? I mean, they were hard to 100%, but the core wasn't that bad.

I found the SNES one annoyingly hard, but then again, that was probably when I was like six or seven years old (and was playing it in a store, so I didn't get the chance to practice and get better). The DS one, though, was brutal, and after I finished the main story and got to the bonus levels I put the game down and have scarcely picked it up since then. I much preferred the simple and saccharine Yoshi's Story, which swapped out the annoying Baby Mario for a generous lifebar (which was easy to refill, to boot). But I realize I'm probably in the minority here, seeing how reviled Yoshi's Story seems to be on the greater internet.

I found the SNES one annoyingly hard, but then again, that was probably when I was like six or seven years old (and was playing it in a store, so I didn't get the chance to practice and get better). The DS one, though, was brutal, and after I finished the main story and got to the bonus levels I put the game down and have scarcely picked it up since then. I much preferred the simple and saccharine Yoshi's Story, which swapped out the annoying Baby Mario for a generous lifebar (which was easy to refill, to boot). But I realize I'm probably in the minority here, seeing how reviled Yoshi's Story seems to be on the greater internet.

Oh, no, I loved Yoshi's Story. YIDS was alright, but I can see what you mean. But perhaps revisit the SNES one (or the GBA one, it has more levels), the game is amazing!

since the visuals would look even more gorgeous in HD

pardon my ignorance, i am but a mere playstation fan, but i don't see the point in asking for better graphics in a game with such a cartoony art style. like there's nothing wrong with a cartoony art style, but isn't the point of it avoiding a realistic look? HD wouldn't matter much at all.

relying on a "hub area" instead of featuring a proper world map

I don't know why people hate hubs so much. Hubs are almost exclusively well done and add such a refreshing atmosphere.

Moving the topic in a new direction, what are some MMORPGs you guys have had good experiences with? I've been playing Maplestory for ages, recently I gave Neverwinter a shot but the Dungeons and Dragons structure was really strict and I didn't appreciate it much. Any other F2P/cheap P2P MMOs that are still good? don't say wow or runescape ok those games fell the heck apart

Edited by The God of War

pardon my ignorance, i am but a mere playstation fan, but i don't see the point in asking for better graphics in a game with such a cartoony art style. like there's nothing wrong with a cartoony art style, but isn't the point of it avoiding a realistic look? HD wouldn't matter much at all.

Um noooooooooooo, the point of cell-shading and other "cartoony art styles" is to provide a gameplay experience that is pleasing to the eye. The sharper the graphics, the better.

Morally unambiguous.

relying on a "hub area" instead of featuring a proper world map

I don't know why people hate hubs so much. Hubs are almost exclusively well done and add such a refreshing atmosphere.

Moving the topic in a new direction, what are some MMORPGs you guys have had good experiences with? I've been playing Maplestory for ages, recently I gave Neverwinter a shot but the Dungeons and Dragons structure was really strict and I didn't appreciate it much. Any other F2P/cheap P2P MMOs that are still good? don't say wow or runescape ok those games fell the heck apart

I'm honestly not sure why Wind Waker, the one Zelda with an artstyle that hasn't aged nearly as poorly, was picked to do an HD remake. If any game in the series needs it, it's Majora's Mask.

also why is one of the DnD MMOs 'strict'. That's, like, the exact opposite of the very concept of PnP. I understand that you can't have nearly as many options as the original tabletop because that's just not humanly possible to program, but you'd think they'd have a loose, free form feeling to the game. I've heard decent things about the LotR MMO? Not into MMOs, so I wouldn't know much about the quality.

hElbrZ6.gif

This may be completely off of the current topic, but I have to share this somewhere.

On-topic: I haven't played Runescape in years. xD

I played some Path of Exile, and I really enjoyed it. Not sure if it is actually a MMO, but it sure has a lot of players. *shrug*

HD graphics aren't a synonym for realistic, and cartoony graphics don't mean no detail either. I love Kid Icarus Uprising's graphics and think they're some of the best on the 3DS, but there are a few oddities, such as most round models actually being octagons, and a few muddy textures on walls. I think an HD overhaul could potentially work out those oddities. I would love seeing the game all smoothed out and have a few added effects. Air battles in some chapters would become absolutely gorgeous, like Chapter 10 or the entire Aurum arc. Of course, if they do port the game to Wii U, I hope they add more content of some sort to justify repurchasing it. Of course, I hope nothing like Wind Waker HD is done again though... And as for weapon gems... Maybe use Miiverse?

As for MMORPGS... The closest thing I've ever played was Poptropica. =P

Btw, I consider KI: U's art style to be cartoony, not the actual graphics themselves.

Edited by Zero: Maverick Hunter

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

MMOs? I've played Shin Megami Tensei Imagine and Rusty Hearts, but not much else other than those two, and I rarely ever play them anymore. However, once I get good internet (really hoping for the end of the month), I might want to try Final Fantasy XIV on PS3. Other than that, don't have too much interest in MMOs.