Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

since the visuals would look even more gorgeous in HD

pardon my ignorance, i am but a mere playstation fan, but i don't see the point in asking for better graphics in a game with such a cartoony art style. like there's nothing wrong with a cartoony art style, but isn't the point of it avoiding a realistic look? HD wouldn't matter much at all.

Any more resolution makes a difference on pretty much any game. Also, it's not a direct HD port. There's an entirely new lighting engine, which some people love, but I feel looks too realistic and contracts with the game's style.

I'm honestly not sure why Wind Waker, the one Zelda with an artstyle that hasn't aged nearly as poorly, was picked to do an HD remake. If any game in the series needs it, it's Majora's Mask.

Yeah, really. TWW has aged wonderfully, and I still have my fingers crossed for a Majora's Mask 3D.

HD graphics aren't a synonym for realistic, and cartoony graphics don't mean no detail either. I love Kid Icarus Uprising's graphics and think they're some of the best on the 3DS, but there are a few oddities, such as most round models actually being octagons, and a few muddy textures on walls. I think an HD overhaul could potentially work out those oddities. I would love seeing the game all smoothed out and have a few added effects. Air battles in some chapters would become absolutely gorgeous, like Chapter 10 or the entire Aurum arc. Of course, if they do port the game to Wii U, I hope they add more content of some sort to justify repurchasing it. Of course, I hope nothing like Wind Waker HD is done again though... And as for weapon gems... Maybe use Miiverse?

What'd you mean by "nothing like Wind Waker HD is done again"? You mean games that don't benefit all that much?

I'd rather not an Uprising Wii U because of controls. Dual Analogue would be too slow to work with for the game, and the size and shape of the Wii U controller strikes me as something that would be too awkward to use.

Agreed. An HD remake should just be the old game in higher res, with better character models and textures if needed, and neither of the latter were needed in TWW's case. I'm indifferent to the change in the Triforce quest, and wouldn't have a problem with changing parts of games that were tedious (like the entire first third of Twilight Princess, for instance), but for the most part, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Really, the only person WWHD is nessecary is because It's one of the few Zelda games that wasn't readily available on WiiU, or anywhere (besides the net) for that matter. Plus, you know, it's one of the big Nintendo series that prints money not matter what.

Anyways, I'd love a WiiU port of Uprising precisely because of the controls. I feel like a StarFox 64-esque control scheme would be great for flying sections, and add in Wiimote and gamepad touchscreen as alternate control options. Also, mabe change the ground combat controls to something maybe more like Zelda, using the touchscreen/circle pad/shoulder buttons just felt horribly wrong and way more clunky than it needed to be, even though it worked moderately well.

Anyways, downloading Skyrim onto my Tablet Laptop right now, and I really hope it works. Because it's Skyrim on a freaking tablet. What isn't awesome about that?

(Yeah, PC gaming didn't really impress me that much before, but PC gaming on a tablet? Heck yeah, sounds awesome.)

Honestly, I only see the point of games getting an HD remake if they're really in need of one, or to complete/fix issues with the original release, or if it's like MGS and the series is pretty much movies. Or even to test the waters for a new entry in the franchise.

SotC? That's a legendary title that's ###### to get on disc because of poor sales. Same with ICO. It was kinda needed in this case, and it looks gorgeous.

Zone of the Enders? It was supposed to get us a new game, if it wasn't so horribly botched before the PS3 version was patched.

Wind Waker? Wii U is supposed to get GCN virtual console. Just toss it up on there to get it out to the public, instead of making an HD version of it when it isn't needed.

Also, I have to say. I never could get into Skyrim. Felt like a hollow game that just had prettiness going for it over a good story. Even the gameplay felt lackluster, especially without a controller (why make a CRPG that has awful mouse+keyboard control).

On another note, is Two Worlds 1 and 2 worth getting for a few bucks each? I'm trying to get some more Xbox RPGs, and outside of The Witcher and Fable, I'm not seeing much on that front.

Edited by iHodor

hElbrZ6.gif

Wind Waker? Wii U is supposed to get GCN virtual console. Just toss it up on there to get it out to the public, instead of making an HD version of it when it isn't needed.

Nintendo said that YEARS ago. Shortly before the console launched, the denied it. I foresee controlling issues being a small problem with GCN titles, because the lack of analogue shoulder buttons on the Wii U. It would make Mario Sunshine almost unplayable!

On the topic of Skyrim, it's fun, but, like every other game I've played out of Bethesda (all two others), it's just a generic RPG that does nothing special. I swear it's a game made for the casual gamer market. When I told my friends it was downloading, one of them described the game to me perfectly.

"Skyrim has the vastness of an ocean, but the depth of a puddle."

My hope is that I can get it running well enough (faster than 2 FPS) so I can screw around with some of the hilarious mods I've seen, I'm not too interested in the main game. I didn't even know it actually had a story or anything until... Pretty recently, actually.

Anyways, if I can get Skyrim to work, I might consider doing more PC gaming. Because Steam actually seems pretty ineresting.

Oh, and mods.

On the topic of Skyrim, it's fun, but, like every other game I've played out of Bethesda (all two others), it's just a generic RPG that does nothing special. I swear it's a game made for the casual gamer market. When I told my friends it was downloading, one of them described the game to me perfectly.

The big issue with Skyrim being a generic RPG is that it's, y'know. An Elder Scrolls game. The only reason to play an Elder Scrolls game is the lore, which has been going downhill more and more since Oblivion. Gameplay and graphics were never the series strong suit (have you played Arena? My god, it's a poor man's Ultima Underworld).

Also, on the note of Ultima, is it just me or is it hilarious that Bioware is pretty much repeating what happened to Origin Software in the 90s/early 00s?

Steams a good idea, and PC gaming is great, but those "PC Master Race" guys are so annoying!

Those filthy PC peasants cannot afford to have an expensive PC AND consoles.

DIRTY CONSOLE PEASANTS

DIRTY PC PEASANTS

ALL SYSTEMS AND PC MUSTARD RACE

Edited by iHodor

hElbrZ6.gif

I found that what really saved Skyrim and made me actually buy it after playing my friend's copy is the modding scene. After you get through the main quests and the guild quests, which admittedly will take 20-30 hours, Skyrim just loses it's touch. But the móds? There's just so many out there now, so many that effect the game so fundamentally, that a properly modded Skyrim is almost a different game.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

also why is one of the DnD MMOs 'strict'. That's, like, the exact opposite of the very concept of PnP. I understand that you can't have nearly as many options as the original tabletop because that's just not humanly possible to program, but you'd think they'd have a loose, free form feeling to the game. I've heard decent things about the LotR MMO? Not into MMOs, so I wouldn't know much about the quality.

I've never played the tabletop. It's strict from the perspective of someone who plays a lot of versatile and explorative MMOs and then shifting into a DnD style of gameplay. I don't have anything against the system itself and I'd probably like it on the tabletop but it isn't what I want in an MMO

@ the whole HD graphics thing since you guys are really mad about it

I understand like sharper picture and everything improves character models but in a cartoony game, it just seems logical to me that you wouldn't be playing it if you highly value visuals, which I consider different than art style. Polygon count and such are not going to matter as much. Like, you can play it and appreciate the art style and you can enjoy the art style but recognize the art style will not change or improve on a more powerful system. It will look sharper but I don't think it would look sharp enough to be a major shelling point and worth paying another 60 dollars for. But it was implied that it would be. I disagree. And still do.

@skyrim mods:

I'm upset that Skyrim has as many mods as it does. They have crazy dedicated modders and it breaks my heart that they're modding such a bad game. The big problem with that is that mods can fix the problems with the game, and there are mods that add stuff to the game, but these mods don't necessarily work together, so you need to choose between what you wanted Skyrim to be and what you want a game to be. This bugs me. Why couldn't these 30k+ mods on Nexus been put towards a better game? Morrowind modders are still insanely active and unbelievably talented, and have had a long headstart on Skyrim modders. They rebuilt a new engine for it. Skyrim modders have yet to shown that level of dedication. (I've seen some insanely impressive stuff on Skyrim Nexus, don't get me wrong, but it takes a backseat to Morrowind modders by a long shot.)

Don't just play a game because it's new guys, put some thought into it. Morrowind has the added benefit of running on nearly every computer ever.

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

@ the whole HD graphics thing since you guys are really mad about it

I understand like sharper picture and everything improves character models but in a cartoony game, it just seems logical to me that you wouldn't be playing it if you highly value visuals, which I consider different than art style. Polygon count and such are not going to matter as much. Like, you can play it and appreciate the art style and you can enjoy the art style but recognize the art style will not change or improve on a more powerful system. It will look sharper but I don't think it would look sharp enough to be a major shelling point and worth paying another 60 dollars for. But it was implied that it would be. I disagree. And still do.

Yes, but if the graphics are bad, It becomes harder to enjoy the art style. For example, I got Kingdom Hearts HD earlier this year, and when I was playing it on my SDTV and did a side-by-side comparison of the original PS2 game and the HD version, and there was barely any difference. Then, I got an HDTV, played the PS2 version for a little while, but stopped because HD makes a good amount of SD games look awful. Then I tried the HD remake on my HDTV, and the difference was amazing, everything was bright, sharp, and crisp, and I was able to fully enjoy the game's appearance, both in graphics and art style.

The thing is that just because a game isn't realistic doesn't mean it couldn't benefit from greater clarity. Uprising at its best was a tour-de-force, flying through gorgeous vistas and oceans and valleys and spaces. Those are all things that would look marvelous in HD, never mind the character or enemy designs. It's just plain not true that people playing a cartoony game don't care about visuals, and on top of that I'd really love to be able to play Uprising or similar games with an audience, something that's hardly feasible on the small screen of a 3DS. That, combined with new optional control schemes (which could correct one of the biggest criticisms of the game) would make a port, expanded remake, or sequel to Uprising a VERY attractive option even for $60.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Quick question: I'd like to download Sleeping Dogs for Games With Gold (Xbox Live), but whenever I click "Get My Free Game" and "Download to Xbox", it brings me to the screen that says no refunds, $19.99 - is this how it is supposed to be and when I click download I'll just not be charged? Or is something weird?

Thanks in advance!

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

SO in some different news, Naughty Dog's The Last of Us has won 203 Game of the Year awards. This places it 78 awards over GTA5, and makes it THE game of the year, and the game that has won the single most Game of the Year awards of all time.

I, for one, am pleasently surprised. I thought for sure GTA5 would've won (because I have a seething distrust of critics, and it was reviewed better.) even with TLOU being a much better game. This doesn't really MEAN anything, but the Naughty Dog and Playstation fan in me is very happy that justice was done to one of the most perfectly made games ever.

on a side note this technically makes tlou the best game of all time. eat me, ocarina.

source http://gotypicks.blogspot.se/

Edited by ~JC~

SO in some different news, Naughty Dog's The Last of Us has won 203 Game of the Year awards. This places it 78 awards over GTA5, and makes it THE game of the year, and the game that has won the single most Game of the Year awards of all time.

I, for one, am pleasently surprised. I thought for sure GTA5 would've won (because I have a seething distrust of critics, and it was reviewed better.) even with TLOU being a much better game. This doesn't really MEAN anything, but the Naughty Dog and Playstation fan in me is very happy that justice was done to one of the most perfectly made games ever.

on a side note this technically makes tlou the best game of all time. eat me, ocarina.

source http://gotypicks.blogspot.se/

That's not really a fair comparison - there are a LOT more Game of the Year awards now (especially online) then there were in 1998. That's like saying The Last of Us has better graphics than OoT. It's true, but they couldn't possibly make graphics like that 16 years ago. OoT has gotten perfect reviews from pretty much everyone, and, while The Last of Us is great, and I think OoT is overrated, I still think OoT was a bit better.

A better comparison would probably be the percentage of game of the year awards that a game won, rather than total volume.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

~JC~, what's with your attitude? I get that PS games and systems have been doing very well as of late, but you seem to have a tendency to subtly mock Nintendo games and fans in the process. From you saying 'suck on that, review scores!', or throwing a jab at Ocarina, you seem to pay attention to Nintendo. Why? Is it because there aren't enough Xbox fans in this topic, or is this just funny to you?

Also, just because I own only Nintendo consoles, doesn't mean I'm a blind Nintendo fanboy (Nintendork). Are their games always perfect? No, but most of their first-party games are still well-made, and they have a good track record. Do graphics matter more than anything else? No, but doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good-looking game, even if the art style is cartoony. Is Ocarina the best game of all time? Not to me, but it's still very well-made, and I'd probably play it over TLoU. Is this just my opinion? Yes, and it'd be dumb of me to force my opinions as standards. We all like different games and consoles, but I still don't like people subtly mocking what I like.

And yes, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Wii U. They're still in a dangerous place, but based on the 3DS' performance, they still have a chance to turn things around, especially with major first-party games coming out in 2014.

Edited by Zero: Maverick Hunter

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

~JC~, what's with your attitude? I get that PS games and systems have been doing very well as of late, but you seem to have a tendency to subtly mock Nintendo games and fans in the process. From you saying 'suck on that, review scores!', or throwing a jab at Ocarina, you seem to pay attention to Nintendo. Why? Is it because there aren't enough Xbox fans in this topic, or is this just funny to you?

Also, just because I own only Nintendo consoles, doesn't mean I'm a blind Nintendo fanboy (Nintendork). Are their games always perfect? No, but most of their first-party games are still well-made, and they have a good track record. Do graphics matter more than anything else? No, but doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good-looking game, even if the art style is cartoony. Is Ocarina the best game of all time? Not to me, but it's still very well-made, and I'd probably play it over TLoU. Is this just my opinion? Yes, and it'd be dumb of me to force my opinions as standards. We all like different games and consoles, but I still don't like people subtly mocking what I like.

And yes, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Wii U. They're still in a dangerous place, but based on the 3DS' performance, they still have a chance to turn things around, especially with major first-party games coming out in 2014.

Eh, if he can't appreciate Nintendo games, it's his loss more than anything else. As much as I love my PS3, The Last of Us, Sly Cooper, and Shadow of the Colossus are the only games I've played on it that strike me as being on par with Nintendo games.

And I've not much faith in Wii U. 3DS has virtually no competition, while Wii U has a LOT. Also, Nintendo has had several other consoles sell very poorly (N64, GCN). Smash Bros., Yarn Yoshi, and Zelda HD are the only games on it I'm very interested in. They made a mistake by opting to go with PowerPC architecture instead of AMD. Even with their lower specs, going with a more conventional style would help developers port games.

The tablet is fantastic, though.

They really don't, and I'm even saying this as a Nintendo fan. The big reason why they were able to turn around the 3DS' lacking sales was because, of all intents and purposes, Nintendo owns the handheld market. in the console market? Nintendo has a major competitor in Sony, and possibly Microsoft (barely considering how badly the Xbox is losing money). The 3DS is also cheaper than a Wii U, which generally means they have less of a chance to sell them with a bundled game for cheap. This is even worse when you consider that the PS4 sold over a million on it's launch date in America alone.

On top of this, the casual gaming public that made the Wii a run away success is mostly confused on what the Wii U is. There's also how, since ye olde console wars of the Sega Genesis, Nintendo's got the reputation of being for 'kids'. This drives away the crowd of edgy teenage boys that play the yearly Cawadooty because they don't want to be seen as 'kids'.

Plus, the Wii U doesn't have nearly as good of a killer app like the 3DS did- it doesn't have a Pokemon X/Y to drag in people who still play those games.

The closest things they have next year are Bayonetta 2 and X.

hElbrZ6.gif

Nintendo is for kids.

No offense, but you don't see people playing Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, GTA, or Halo on a Wii.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Nintendo is for kids.

No offense, but you don't see people playing Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, GTA, or Halo on a Wii.

Well, then there's games like Fire Emblem and Bayonetta, which I would think twice about letting young kids play. Oh, and then there's Smash Bros., with a huge following in the competitive gaming community (who are mostly not kids). Anyone else remember how No More Heroes started off on Wii? Or how the best version of Resident Evil 4 was the GCN one?

You don't see people playing Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, and GTA on Nintendo because if you have a Nintendo console, you generally have better games to play (though I've heard that ACII was a LOT better than III. I've only played III, and it was awful). You don't play Halo on Nintendo because it's a Microsoft exclusive.

Explain to me why games targeted at a young audience are suddenly bad.

It's a cultural thing. Things made for children are automatically assumed to be inferior because clearly, if it was made for children, it has to be of lower quality right?

Kinda like how SF and fantasy are shunned unless it's big name stuff like Harry Potter, Tolkien, A Song of Ice and Fire, Star Trek, etc.

hElbrZ6.gif

Nintendo is for kids.

Pretty sure Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty are on the Wii. Just horrible quality though.

Ju-On The Grudge(?) is on the Wii. Now that game is not for kids. Having the usual scary Japanese woman in a white dress and a pale boy with no eyes. Nope. Not going to go there.

Edited by MaliceGhost

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Nintendo is for kids.

World At War and Black Ops are two modern CoD titles I can think of that were on the Wii. Battlefield was considered but the devs said the porting would be too costly. Assassin's Creed 4 is on the Wii U. GTA V isn't even on the PC at the moment, though admittedly is more or less confirmed. Halo is owned by Microsoft; you will not see it release on a platform Microsoft does not own.

I hate to say it but you really walked into that one.

Edited by Strategist Alex Humva

voidstars.png

Explain to me why games targeted at a young audience are suddenly bad.

It's a cultural thing. Things made for children are automatically assumed to be inferior because clearly, if it was made for children, it has to be of lower quality right?

Kinda like how SF and fantasy are shunned unless it's big name stuff like Harry Potter, Tolkien, A Song of Ice and Fire, Star Trek, etc.

I've also found that artists and content developers seem to think that "oh, because this is for kids we don't need to make a quality product." Not only is neither argument valid, the two mindsets feed into each other in a self-fulfilling loop. :(

Since this is a topic for game systems as well, I have a strange but relevant question: is there a way for me to edit my posts here when I'm using the 3DS internet browser? I can click "edit post" on my own posts, but when I do the actual text field in the editor won't load. :(

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

I wouldn't say "Nintendo is for kids" (Pokemon is the only Nintendo franchise I can think of that's consistently aimed at kids with the games/shows/merch/etc.), but more family-friendly, and people often confuse the two. Of course, all of the stupid censorship Nintendo does (most notably Fire Emblem, and recently the new Chibi-Robo) can give the impression that Ninty is Kiddiefying their games or whatever (although I will argue that the censored FE DLC looks much more lewd than the original). Anyways, yeah, that's my two cents.

Also, I had some friends over today, and one of them brought over his 360, and we all had a blast with Black Ops 2. I'm not great at CoD (I think I have a .6 KDR in MW2, which I rarely play anymore), but it really is a fun party game- much more fun with a bunch of guys in the same room with Doritos and Mountain Dew than online by yourself.

Also @Flipz: You using the Mobile skin (you can toggle it on/off at the bottom of the page)? That works much better than the normal skin on the 3DS.

I wouldn't say "Nintendo is for kids" (Pokemon is the only Nintendo franchise I can think of that's consistently aimed at kids with the games/shows/merch/etc.), but more family-friendly, and people often confuse the two. Of course, all of the stupid censorship Nintendo does (most notably Fire Emblem, and recently the new Chibi-Robo) can give the impression that Ninty is Kiddiefying their games or whatever (although I will argue that the censored FE DLC looks much more lewd than the original). Anyways, yeah, that's my two cents.

I really don't like their censorship of Fire Emblem. The series would make a nice M-rated game I feel. Doesn't need to go over-the-top with blood, but I'd certainly like SOME whenever you kill someone!

Wouldn't you say Mario is also consistently for kids? And Kirby? Some of the Mario RPGs have had darker moments in them, but I still think they are very kid-oriented.

I really don't like their censorship of Fire Emblem. The series would make a nice M-rated game I feel. Doesn't need to go over-the-top with blood, but I'd certainly like SOME whenever you kill someone!

Wouldn't you say Mario is also consistently for kids? And Kirby? Some of the Mario RPGs have had darker moments in them, but I still think they are very kid-oriented.

Fire Emblem is basically A Song of Ice and Fire by Nintendo. Has just as much incest, at least.

hElbrZ6.gif

Bioshock 1.

even though i haven't played either, most-if not all-people say Bioshock 1 was better than 2.

then again i live under a rock when it comes to games.

most-if not all- people who say bioshock 1 was better than 2 say that for the same reason you just did. see how that works?

bioshock 1 was punishing (and if you need me to explain that punishing games are rewarding, just get bioshock 2.). taking down a big daddy in that game (even on normal) was a real challenge in the earlier levels. power ups are more varied (but the way you equip power ups is more restrictivie) and the plasmids themselves were better done.

in bioshock 2, you can expect to be in for some feels and a power trip. that game is frustratingly easy, even on hard. delta is just such a powerful character, even big sisters are pushovers once you know what you're doing. they never come close to the power that big daddies had in the first game (and in the second they're irrelevant, they die in seconds.) so don't expect any rewarding bits to happen here. also, level design in the 2nd game was dramatically worse.

from a story point of view, the first game was epic and compelling, whereas the second was very feelsy towards the end but otherwise is a straightforward 'ight i gotta get my daughter' until the end. they aren't comparable. one is a thriller and a drama, one is an action movie. make your decision from there.

@above: so it is a song of ice and fire for children, then.

Edited by ~JC~