Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Look, I said I do not play lots of M games. Read my posts. And I didn't say blood was bad. I just don't actively enjoy gorier games more than child-friendly ones. TF2 uses blood, and I have no issue with that, especially since the blood is so unrealistic and insane that it only enhances the cartoonish feel of the wrold

And is my sentiment really so blasphemous and uncommon? Let's find out.

Then again, your response to my sentiment on realistic graphics in games... To be clear on that, I didn't say realistic graphics are bad. I did say they could end up being limiters in certain things and also age worse than artistic graphics do.

Edited by Zero: Maverick Hunter

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

FPS are really nice because they generally require a low amount of skill to learn to play, while have a greater difficulty in getting '1337'.

For example, anybody can play Halo, but not everybody can play Halo well.

skill ceiling in FPS is pretty low. you should play more games (also, get over halo. it isn't that special)

fightng games (smash not included sorry guys) > RTS > PVP MMOs > shooters > platformers

in terms of skill ceiling. smash bros does have a high skill ceiling but compared to other fighters it just falls short, namely because there are fewer buttons.

Am I reading that right? Fewer buttons makes game's skill ceiling lower? I'm sorry, but I don't find memorizing long combinations to be the most skill-based thing in the world. I suggest you go rewatch "How Fast Is Melee?". You can play most fighters on HDTVs without any problem. I've yet to meet a serious Smash Bros. player who can play Smash Bros. on an HDTV. Your timing needs to be ridiculously precise, your spacing has to be pixel perfect, etc.

There are fighters out there that take more skill, I'm sure, but not many.

If you think platformers take no skill, go look up a Kaizo video. I'd recommend Protonjon's, they are hilarious, but platformers take a LOT of skill.

On the other hand, I've yet to be impressed by a dedicated shooter. Some were certainly great (Uncharted comes to mind), but I wouldn't say that they ALWAYS take more skill than platformers.

Halo is the one reason I want to own an Xbox. There is seriously not a single other exclusive for the console family that interests me at all.

On the other hand, I've yet to be impressed by a dedicated shooter. Some were certainly great (Uncharted comes to mind), but I wouldn't say that they ALWAYS take more skill than platformers.

if uncharted is your go to 'hard shooter' i understand why you think that

Your timing needs to be ridiculously precise, your spacing has to be pixel perfect, etc.

go see my clint eastwood gif on the last page

Halo is the one reason I want to own an Xbox. There is seriously not a single other exclusive for the console family that interests me at all.

yeah. that being said, it's crazy overhyped.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

The only system that isn't a good entertainment system right now is the WiiU. I'd put PS4 behind PS3 (due to current inability to play CDs and 3D Blu-Ray, although I think those are getting fixed soon), then 360 behind that due to complete incompatibility with Blu-Ray, but generally, they're all good replacements for whatever media players you'd attach to your TV, especially when you factor in all the streaming services and such. Plus they, you know, play video games, which is a plus.

Also, I'd put Smash at the lower end of fighters, in terms of skill. Sure, it does take a good amount of skill, but most fighters do, and some of them can be just... Insane.

And, a quick question- I have an old tower PC lying around, from about 2006-7. If I replace pretty much everything that I can easily replace (video/sound cards, RAM, Hard Drive), would it likely be able to play most modern games, or would components on the motherboard be too old?

Edited by Raku Ichijo

I don't want to sound like a raging nub nerd or something. My goal is to be mature and not rage, so I'll take that as a compliment.

And before you assume I'm an extreme conservative moral guardian, I'm actually closer to the liberal end of the spectrum. I have no problem with blood, but I don't actively enjoy games with blood more than ones that don't.

Little bit late to the party, but a micro-rant:

I don't think Nintendo's resistance to putting GBA or SNES games on the 3DS Virtual Console has anything to do with laziness. Rather, I think the lack of those games and the slow rate at which games are added to the service are both ways Nintendo is attempting to lengthen the lifespan of the service. By only releasing games periodically and working their way up to more recent generations of games, Nintendo can maintain hype for the Virtual Console over a longer period of time, as opposed to releasing the entire library at once, which would cause one big burst of sales that would quickly trail off. Assuming the 3DS remains Nintendo's primary handheld for the next few years, it would suit their business interests much better to space out releases. That way, if the 3DS ever suffers from a game drought or sales slump in the future, Nintendo can pull the SNES/GBA Virtual Console out of their sleeve to rekindle interest in the system. And in the meantime, SNES and GBA being exclusive to the Wii U provides the suffering console with one additional selling point.

That's not to say I'm happy with the lack of GBA and SNES games on the 3DS Virtual Console. The capability is there, there are a number of excellent games for both SNES and GBA that I've missed out on, and I don't think purchasing a Wii U will be a realistic option for me any time in the near future. But Nintendo has far better excuses than laziness for why now might not be the best time to bring the 3DS Virtual Console up to its full potential.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

if uncharted is your go to 'hard shooter' i understand why you think that

I never said it was hard, I just said it was good. I dislike shooters generally, they are boring.

The only thing the Xbox really has gunning for it is Halo and generally better PC-to-Console ports these last two gens.

That said, the Xbox makes a pretty decent/good entertainment system. If only it played .MKVs, then we'd be in business.

The big killer with Xbox for me is Live. WHY do they think it's justifiable to charge a fee for it? Total BS, IMO.

The only system that isn't a good entertainment system right now is the WiiU. I'd put PS4 behind PS3 (due to current inability to play CDs and 3D Blu-Ray, although I think those are getting fixed soon), then 360 behind that due to complete incompatibility with Blu-Ray, but generally, they're all good replacements for whatever media players you'd attach to your TV, especially when you factor in all the streaming services and such. Plus they, you know, play video games, which is a plus.

Also, I'd put Smash at the lower end of fighters, in terms of skill. Sure, it does take a good amount of skill, but most fighters do, and some of them can be just... Insane.

And, a quick question- I have an old tower PC lying around, from about 2006-7. If I replace pretty much everything that I can easily replace (video/sound cards, RAM, Hard Drive), would it likely be able to play most modern games, or would components on the motherboard be too old?

The reason I have to rank PS4 behind PS3 is the fee to pay online. As I said above, it's garbage and I hate that Sony is doing it too now.

Smash is very easy to pick up and play, I'll give it that, and most people can be fairly decent without much skill. But at higher end competitions? First off, Smash is just too different from other fighters to directly compare. It has a whole degree of movement to it, and because of that, no other fighter has mindgames quite like Smash Bros.

Admittedly, I don't do any other fighters on the same level, but I've a good amount of experience with Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom. Most other fighters I've tried just turned me away due to the effectiveness of button-mashing. Even if you can't win by it, I've had more success in Sou Caliber and Mortal Kombat mashing buttons than I would in Smash or Street Fighter or MvC.

Little bit late to the party, but a micro-rant:

I don't think Nintendo's resistance to putting GBA or SNES games on the 3DS Virtual Console has anything to do with laziness. Rather, I think the lack of those games and the slow rate at which games are added to the service are both ways Nintendo is attempting to lengthen the lifespan of the service. By only releasing games periodically and working their way up to more recent generations of games, Nintendo can maintain hype for the Virtual Console over a longer period of time, as opposed to releasing the entire library at once, which would cause one big burst of sales that would quickly trail off. Assuming the 3DS remains Nintendo's primary handheld for the next few years, it would suit their business interests much better to space out releases. That way, if the 3DS ever suffers from a game drought or sales slump in the future, Nintendo can pull the SNES/GBA Virtual Console out of their sleeve to rekindle interest in the system. And in the meantime, SNES and GBA being exclusive to the Wii U provides the suffering console with one additional selling point.

That's not to say I'm happy with the lack of GBA and SNES games on the 3DS Virtual Console. The capability is there, there are a number of excellent games for both SNES and GBA that I've missed out on, and I don't think purchasing a Wii U will be a realistic option for me any time in the near future. But Nintendo has far better excuses than laziness for why now might not be the best time to bring the 3DS Virtual Console up to its full potential.

Intentional or not, it's still really stupid. I'd rather they just release all the old games now. It's not like I can afford them all now anyway, so I'll still have plenty down the road. But at the rate they are releasing games, they won't even have half the library they should when it's time to retire the systems. If they just released 2 VC games per console every week, they'd still last to the end of both platform's lives. How's 'bout they make N64 exclusive to Wii U? It would have major control issues on 3DS due to lack of buttons, so they'd have a perfect excuse? And then release a controller with analogue shoulder buttons and make GCN VC for Wii U only? 3DS would have trouble emulating GCN games, and again, control. I really think SNES, GBA, and DS games should be on both.

I just finished Link Between Worlds. Game was a solid "meh". It was way too easy. I think the longest I spent on a dungeon was half an hour. There were some creative moments, but I just prefer 3D Zelda.

Next game on my list of games to finish is Uncharted 2, which I started 'bout a month ago. Also almost done Sly 3 and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

I was ranking the systems purely by their value as an entertainment system- not for playing games, but rather movies, music, Netflix, etc.

Although I really have to disagree about having to pay for PS+ being a bad thing. Only reason I haven't bought into it is because my PS3's hard drive is pretty much full (I know I have less than 4GB of storage left) and I only have 4GB for my Vita. You get hundreds of dollars worth of free games (I believe last year's value was a good bit over $1000) plus tons of discounts each year, all for $50. It's one of the reasons I'm excited about getting a PS4.

Also, I really wish Nintendo's eShop worked like the PS Store. Buy a VC game once, transfer it across all your systems. Works great with PS3/P/Vita, I remember back when I started high school, I'd play Final Fantasy VII on my PSP during the hour-long carpool ride to/from school, then transfer my save over to my PS3 when I got home, play it on there for a while, transfer it back, etc. There's a good amount of games shared on both systems' VC, and having to pay twice for the same game really sucks (which is why I don't do it). Although, I'm guessing their current model would make more money, so I could see why they wouldn't want to do it.

So I know this might not be a sentiment some of you will agree with, but I am drawn to platformers, particularly the action variety. Why? Well, my first video game was The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie Game. Yeah, kinda embarrassing, but we all have to start somewhere, right? Plus, the game itself is surprisingly good for a licensed title, though I won't say it's a masterpiece. Anyways, ever since, Platformers have been my go-to games, 2D or 3D.

The first games I ever played were Sonic 2 and Commander Keen 4, which is probably the main reason I like platformers so much today.

And is my sentiment really so blasphemous and uncommon? Let's find out.

Honestly, gore has never really bothered me. I'm a fan of Silent Hill and several other horror franchises, so I hardly bat an eye at gore. That being said, games (and other media) that only use gore as a cheap substitute for actual horror are really annoying (Clive Barker's Jericho comes to mind).

If you think platformers take no skill, go look up a Kaizo video. I'd recommend Protonjon's, they are hilarious, but platformers take a LOT of skill.

I agree that platformers can take a lot of skill, but Kaizo is a terrible example. That game is deliberately over-the-top with its difficulty, it's not a good example of platformers in general.

The original Dungeon Keeper is free on GOG for the next day and a half or so.

Yep, and there's also a lot of Dungeons & Dragons games, and some multiplayer games on sale too.

I'm thinking about picking up Planescape: Torment and System Shock 2, I've heard a lot of good things about them both...

I was ranking the systems purely by their value as an entertainment system- not for playing games, but rather movies, music, Netflix, etc.

Although I really have to disagree about having to pay for PS+ being a bad thing. Only reason I haven't bought into it is because my PS3's hard drive is pretty much full (I know I have less than 4GB of storage left) and I only have 4GB for my Vita. You get hundreds of dollars worth of free games (I believe last year's value was a good bit over $1000) plus tons of discounts each year, all for $50. It's one of the reasons I'm excited about getting a PS4.

Also, I really wish Nintendo's eShop worked like the PS Store. Buy a VC game once, transfer it across all your systems. Works great with PS3/P/Vita, I remember back when I started high school, I'd play Final Fantasy VII on my PSP during the hour-long carpool ride to/from school, then transfer my save over to my PS3 when I got home, play it on there for a while, transfer it back, etc. There's a good amount of games shared on both systems' VC, and having to pay twice for the same game really sucks (which is why I don't do it). Although, I'm guessing their current model would make more money, so I could see why they wouldn't want to do it.

I know they give you the free games, but I am such a picky gamer. To me, I might have saved money on one or two games. Looking at 2013, ICO is literally the only game there that I am even mildly interested in, and I can get that dirt cheap on eBay.

I think EVERYONE wishes that Nintendo did cross-platform. Since we really can't do anything about it, I'm just not buying any games I have on my other console. Heck, I'm completely ignoring any games I had on Wii VC that they expect me to rebuy on Wii U, because all you do when you rebuy them is move them from the Wii Menu to the Wii U Menu, and they don't even have the curtsey to transfer your save data for you! Had they just done THAT, I would be more willing to rebuy them, but other than that, I'll just load the Wii Menu app. It's just one more step, not really a big deal.

I agree that platformers can take a lot of skill, but Kaizo is a terrible example. That game is deliberately over-the-top with its difficulty, it's not a good example of platformers in general.

Having beaten Kaizo, I can tell you firsthand that it's not that bad. That famous level Jon did is over-the-top, and while the rest of the game certainly pushes it, it was clearly designed for savestate use, so you can almost just think of savestates as a mechanic of the game and not really a cheat.

It was also a lot more fun than it would seem :P

The original Dungeon Keeper is free on GOG for the next day and a half or so.

Yep, and there's also a lot of Dungeons & Dragons games, and some multiplayer games on sale too.

I'm thinking about picking up Planescape: Torment and System Shock 2, I've heard a lot of good things about them both...

For 20-ish bucks, it's worth nabbing the DnD games (I already own one of them from GOG, so I don't know the normal price). A good deal of them are pretty good or decent- and for 2 bucks each, it's a pretty good deal.

EDIT: The Witcher 1 & 2 seem to be going on a deal today on steam? They're both in my Game Library, but I don't own them through Steam and I didn't get an email gifting them to me.

Edited by iHodor

hElbrZ6.gif

I never said it was hard, I just said it was good. I dislike shooters generally, they are boring.

ok so its a game you think is easy, it's your only example, and it's supposed to counter my point that shooters have a high skill cap

EASTWOOD

Edited by ~JC~

So what, are we dumb for liking platformers, Smash, Nintendo, etc.? Because last I checked, people were allowed to have opinions.

Silly me.

Anyways, I died on my first battle in the Bravely Default demo. I fail at videogames. =P

• Upvote 2

It's going to be that your case is probably too old to support new parts.

AΨ 94

ok so its a game you think is easy, it's your only example, and it's supposed to counter my point that shooters have a high skill cap

EASTWOOD

Do you lack reading comprehension skills? I said Uncharted was one of the few shooters I felt was great. I made that comment in parallel to my comment on how I don't feel most shooters take much skill, not as a support. It went along with the part where I said no shooters really impress me, but some are fun.

yo you immediately went from talking about skill required to quality without any transitions when we were clearly talking about skill like that was what we were talking about, not game quality, but the skill ceiling. again, we were supposed to be talking about the skill ceiling. in this conversation about the skill ceiling you mentioned uncharted. but you didnt mean it in relation to the topic. you just wanted to say the name of the game. so you did. but i can't read, though. that's what you got to say?

EASTWOOD

Do you lack reading comprehension skills? I said Uncharted was one of the few shooters I felt was great. I made that comment in parallel to my comment on how I don't feel most shooters take much skill, not as a support. It went along with the part where I said no shooters really impress me, but some are fun.

"On the other hand, I've yet to be impressed by a dedicated shooter. Some were certainly great (Uncharted comes to mind), but I wouldn't say that they ALWAYS take more skill than platformers"

It's admittedly not the smoothest transition, but this was meant to represent my general dissatisfaction with shooters.

Of course shooters have a high skill cap. Why is this being disputed?

Oh, some certainly might, but a good most shooters take nothing to play.

Wait... SSDs are PS3 compatible? I thought only HDDs were.

On another note, do you have an external hard drive/other external USB memory? Because if you have that stuff lying around, you can reinstall the old drive, copy your saves/content to a USB device, then reinstall your new drive, copy the old saves from the USB device, and not lose a thing.

Edited by Raku Ichijo

Some aren't fans of shooters. I mostly find shooters, racing, logic, mashing buttons, and RTS games requires pretty high skills or else that 12 year old kid will be heckling at you for sucking.

Edited by Kaiser Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Some aren't fans of shooters.

that doesnt make any sense "i don't like it so its easy"

What?

My point is people tend, not always, to ridicule things that they don't like and/or disagree on.

Most shooters are pretty difficult depending on your difficulty.

Edited by Kaiser Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Speaking of shooters, Harmonix, creators of Rock Band, just announced Chroma, a music-based FPS. I'm interested. I don't know if it'll be on consoles, but you can sign up for the alpha on Steam.

Wait, what?

Music...based...*head explodes*.

Titanfall, anyone? Anyone playing the Beta?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Actually, Titanfall runs on the Source engine, so if you have a decent PC from even a few years ago, you should be able to still run it. Check the specs, they have them floating around on the internet.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?