Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Well, it's finally happened. The all-in-one superconsole:

image.jpg

Of course, it's a 100% illegal Chinese knockoff, but it still exists.

Also, finally got back into playing The Walking Dead, just so I can finish it, delete it off my Vita, and move on. The story does pick up in chapter two (to the point where I like it), but the framerate and loading issues, along with the fact that the gameplay is absolutely awful for a point-and-click adventure are making it a pain to finish...

It's a point-and-click adventure game, there's minimal gameplay, and it doesn't really even compare to TLOU, IMO. I've warmed up to the story, although it does feel more like a zombie-horror choose-your-own adventure novel with a good amount of shock value (cannibalism, anyone?) than something with a more linear plot would be.

As far as gameplay is concerned, it's mainly "walk over here!" and "check out this item!", with the occasional "aim and shoot the zombies!" or "mash x!" It's clunky, and your character walks as slow as molasses, but it's mostly overlookable if you can get into the story- or the hunt for an easy platinum.

TESV: Skyrim, +100 mods and counting.

Between the quests, the unofficial patches, the unmentionable things, and the futile attempts to make Skyrim challenging without turning enemies into still-too-dumb damage sponges, it's a wonder my saves don't noticeably bloat with each minute of gameplay.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist
  • Upvote 1

Well, Nintendo is discontinuing it's Wi-Fi Connection service for the Wii and DS May 20. I knew It'd happen, but I just wasn't expecting the online support would go this quickly. Well, I guess they've gotta push those Wii U sales...

Anyways, got every trophy in The Walking Dead, so now I FINALLY have enough free memory to put Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time on my Vita!

I mean, it's not like the Wii/DS online was anything anyone cared about anyway. I guess this will hurt the DSi-3DS system transfer (and Wii to Wii U system transfer), so I'd hope they release a final update that installs the transfer packs on the consoles or something... Didn't think that one through, now did we, Nintendo?

I'll miss Mario Kart Wii online, but that's it. Brawl and Mario Kart DS were the only other games I ever tried online, and while MKDS was playable, Brawl was one of the worst experiences I have ever had gaming online.

I hope they'll keep a sort of maintenance network open for a little while (maybe a year or so), just for system transfers/updates (because I'm sure there are people out there who have never done a system update). Also, they need to give people time to buy their Wii U's and transfer everything over to them from their Wiis.

But, all in all, I think it is a good sales plan, even if I don't exactly like it or think it's too soon. Want to play Mario Kart or Smash Bros. online? You've gotta buy a Wii U! Want to keep on playing Pokemon online? Upgrade to the newest versions on 3DS! By rendering online features of the last-gen systems useless, they're forcing some people who may have been more reluctant to move into the current generation to do so.

Waluigi has been announced as an Assist Trophy once again. Mwahaha! I was beginning to fear that he'd be a playable character in a game already overloaded with Mario. Thank goodness he wasn't. It'll make my day if Wario is dropped as well, if it means more franchises are represented.

I am 100% sure we can make work arounds. It may be a PC application that utalizes the official "NIntendo USB WiFi adapter" thing they have (you plugged it into your computer to create a short-ranged WiFi signal to connect a Nintendo device to the internet if you only had wired internet), but I doubt that Nintendo closing it will totally kill your ability to play games online. 'specially something that's as big as Pokemon.

I'm positive that the Wii will get some sort of workaround, just look at how easy it is to softmod. Wouldn't be surprised if someone sets up some alternate servers soon that anyone can access just by putting a file on their SD card.

Also, I don't think a Nintendo WiFi adapter would be needed, as you can connect a DS/Wii to a router and probably just do some networking magic with that. Plus, the Nintedo WiFi Adapter is probably rarer than the DS Rumble Pak, so It's also kinda hard to get (they go for upwards of $100 new on Amazon).

Anyways, since everybody loves lists (and I'm moderately bored), what's everyone's top 10 favorite games of all time? Mine:

1. Persona 4 (Golden) - PS2 (Vita)

2. The World Ends With You - DS

3. inFamous - PS3

4. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - DS

5. WarioWare: Twisted! - GBA

6. Kingdom Hearts II - PS2

7. Flower - PS3

8. Elite Beat Agents - DS

9. Bayonetta - PS3

10. The Last Story - Wii

Edited by Raku Ichijo

As someone who does not have a Wii U and doesn't understand the transfer process 100%, why would it stop working when the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection servers are shut down? From what I read the Wii Shop Channel is confirmed to not be going away, and you'll still be able to download things from it; the only thing being killed are things like online play or downloads of game-specific data. Does the transfer process involve storing the Wii's data in the cloud before transferring it to the Wii U or something? I can't imagine Nintendo would ruin the ability to transfer between systems when there are still so many Wiis and so few Wii Us in the hands of consumers.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

When the announcement was made, all that was known was that the servers were shutting down, but it wasn't specific if any of them would remain active for maintenance/etc. Since the Wii Shop Channel will be staying open, I'd think it safe to assume that transfers would be able to work, as (from what I can gather) transfers move your licenses for the digital games from one console to another, and the licenses are validated over the net, thus why it was unsure whether transfers would work after the shutdown.

Speaking of transfers... I probably should do one soon. The main reason I haven't been playing any Wii games recently (besides the fact that I lent my friend my Wii U a few weeks ago) is because half of my saves are locked to my Wii, which is now pretty much exclusively used for Wii Fit by my mom.

When the announcement was made, all that was known was that the servers were shutting down, but it wasn't specific if any of them would remain active for maintenance/etc. Since the Wii Shop Channel will be staying open, I'd think it safe to assume that transfers would be able to work, as (from what I can gather) transfers move your licenses for the digital games from one console to another, and the licenses are validated over the net, thus why it was unsure whether transfers would work after the shutdown.

Speaking of transfers... I probably should do one soon. The main reason I haven't been playing any Wii games recently (besides the fact that I lent my friend my Wii U a few weeks ago) is because half of my saves are locked to my Wii, which is now pretty much exclusively used for Wii Fit by my mom.

I only wish I had a Wii U to transfer to... or that my Wii were even hooked up to a television. I hope that gets done by the end of the month so I can get back to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I thought they said the shop was closing too? If not, then there'll be no problem.

The locked saves transfer over just fine, and you can even unlock them with modding (for instance, I transfered everything over, but not before making an extra copy of Brawl's data for my Wii - I have no intention of modding my Wii U, and once you've played Brawl with hacks, you don't want to go back to vanilla Brawl.)

If we are doing lists, then my current one is:

11/10 - The Last of Us/Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (PS2 version)

9 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS version)

8/7/6 - Kid Icarus Uprising/The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask/Super Smash Bros. Melee

5/4 - Shadow of the Colossus (either version)/Super Mario Sunshine

3 - Luigi's Mansion

2 - Super Mario 64

1 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Gamecube version)

Also honorable mention to Brawl, Fire Emblem Awakening, Sonic Adventure, and Yoshi's Island, which I really didn't want to leave out of this list (as is, I couldn't even narrow it down to just 10).

Operating on a one-per-franchise basis, and it has to be something I've played:

10: Call of Duty: Black Ops

9: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

8: Ninja Gaiden (XBox)

7: Halo: Reach

6: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

5: The Last of Us

4: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

3: Minecraft

2: Persona 4: Arena

1: Journey

Honorable Mentions: Shadow of the Colossus, Soul Calibur IV, Dead Space, Killzone 3, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Edited by Dapper-Kun

Morally unambiguous.

1. Team Fortress 2

2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

3. Left 4 Dead 2

4. The Legend of Zelda

5. Super Mario 64

6. Minecraft

7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

9. Portal 2

10. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Honorable mentions to Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Pokemon Emerald

While it was tough to make mine would be

1.Devil May Cry 3

2.Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

4.Pokemon Emerald and Y are tied

4.Okami

5.Odin Sphere

6.Shadow of the Colossus

7.F-Zero X

8.Katamari Damacy

9.Banjo-Kazooie and Conkers bad Fur day tied as well

10.Touhou 8 and 11 also tied

Honorable mentions to Metroid fusion, the Prime trilogy, Bomberman 64, and Sly 2 Band of Thieves.

I'm just ToaD

To be honest, I haven't played games with different enough opinions to judge them. When a game is bad, I tend to avoid it, and I usually find every one of my games enjoyable to a point. So I'm skipping out of this.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

To be honest, I haven't played games with different enough opinions to judge them. When a game is bad, I tend to avoid it, and I usually find every one of my games enjoyable to a point. So I'm skipping out of this.

lol well that implies the rest of us have only played ten games

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I usually stick to a few genres at most. That's another reason not to make a list.

Yeah, I tend to stick mostly to action/adventure/puzzle/platform games (and mixes of them), and certain fighters. I have specific other titles in other genres I like, but when I see a new RPG or Shooter, I instinctively shy away from them. What genres you stick to?

Honorable mentions to Metroid fusion, the Prime trilogy, Bomberman 64, and Sly 2 Band of Thieves.

Everyone told me Sly 2 was going to be the best, and I found it to be my least favorite Sly Cooper game (excluding 4, which I have yet to log much time into). Storyline was great, but nothing else really did it for me :/

I find that the genres I enjoy tend to change depending on the system I'm playing. I love me some FPS games, but only on PC (can't get the hang of them with a controller, it's not precise enough). Conversely, I'd much rather play a platformer on a console with a controller, where a different type of precision that the mouse & keyboard can't provide is needed.

I always wish I had more time for RPGs - I can't give my life away to those epics all the time, but I wish I could just dive headfirst into their story. I'll be doing that with Bravely Default next week.

well

i haven't played enough different series to warrant a top 10 list for different games.

so i'll just do a top 3 instead, in no particular order.

1. Metroid Fusion

2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of sky/Platinum

3. Halo 3/Reach (Haven't played 2)

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Hm.... I prefer to play platformers and action-adventure games mostly, with some RPGs thrown in the mix. I've only dabbled with TF2 before my computer decided that it would bork until I uninstalled it. So yeah, I could probably play more types of games. I did like Kid Icarus: Uprising a lot though.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

movie adaptations of everything are just purely for profit like never has a book been turned into a movie and the fans of the book been like 'you know this really opened up my eyes to the hidden meanings in this book' its a money grab that's all it is

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros